CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Let Josh Holmes show up though and dudes will lose their minds quoting him and repping everything he posts.

Sheep.

I'll uprep Josh because he provided prize money, Astros and free games for the BeachLAN when most people at 343 and MS ignore the CE community. I disagree with his philosophy on Halo 5 but he's an okay chap in my book.

I have been saying since Halo 4 that Halo needs to be put in the hands of a new developer. 

Despite the atrocious DLC decisions - Mechanically - I thought H4 was a damn fine first original effort.

MCC is unforgivable and completely destroyed the last thread of good will Bonnie Ross & her exec team may have salvaged with the fanbase.

Programmers/Artists are doing fine. But they do need a new coaching staff.

Despite the atrocious DLC decisions - Mechanically - I thought H4 was a damn fine first original effort.

MCC is unforgivable and completely destroyed the last thread of good will Bonnie Ross & her exec team may have salvaged with the fanbase.

Programmers/Artists are doing fine. But they do need a new coaching staff.

A good first effort?  They literally were shown how to swing the bat in order to hit a homerun, said f that and went about with their own vision that they thought would bring Halo success.  The recipe was there, they chose different and it has continually showed throughout their entire time being at the helm with Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

... their own vision that they thought would bring Halo success...

OK. Who is "they" in this specific instance?

Because it is commonly accepted that "vision" is dictated from the top down.

Naming names would be a good start.

Anyone who is a decision maker at 343 - theres a name for you.  I dont care if it is one person or a collective group who share the same ideas.  "That" vision is wrong plain and simple.  I dont need to give you a roster. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well we've been told repeatedly that decisions are driven by the actual game designers. I don't believe it but as long as they keep claiming responsibility for such disasters I'll hold them accountable too.

It's interesting to note that many of them have left 343 and not one of them has reversed their position on this though. Perhaps they are afraid of industry backlash, but they all display their credits working on terribly designed games as if they are actually proud of them.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I seriously can see former 343 employees being interviewed by prospective employers and being told "so I see you used to work at 343 Industries, the company that ruined Halo".

Fortunately for them, Kevin Franklin's new development studio exists and it's made up in large part of people whose most significant credentials are working on Reach-H5 multiplayer.  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have been saying since Halo 4 that Halo needs to be put in the hands of a new developer. 

Shit, I've been saying that since Halo 2.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fortunately for them, Kevin Franklin's new development studio exists and it's made up in large part of people whose most significant credentials are working on Reach-H5 multiplayer. :walshy:

And Walshy :walshy:

Well we've been told repeatedly that decisions are driven by the actual game designers. I don't believe it but as long as they keep claiming responsibility for such disasters I'll hold them accountable too.

It's interesting to note that many of them have left 343 and not one of them has reversed their position on this though. Perhaps they are afraid of industry backlash, but they all display their credits working on terribly designed games as if they are actually proud of them.

Not Dan Ayoub or Bonnie Ross.

No mention on their LinkedIns.

"Just like you remember it never happened."

• Upvote (+1) 2

honestly can microsoft just turn on the old h2 servers and call it good?

All I really wanted out of H2A...

My fav game of all time.

Instead they shit on its memory.

They deserve my hate for that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have developed a deep hatred for Halo 3 because of MCC. Every single cross game playlist is Halo 3. It wins the vote 90% of the time at least. And to make it even worse, AR starts Halo 3 will quite often beat BR starts Halo 2 or Halo 1 magnum starts. And when you get a game filled with Halo 3 people, they either quit the build/game if Halo 3 doesn't win, or quit out half way through when they realize they're getting destroyed by someone with a BR and they only have a fuckin AR to defend themselves because they actually voted AR starts.

With all this time playing Halo 3 because it wins the vote so much, I realized how shit of a game it is. What's fun about putting 10 shots into someone further than close range and them living? The BR feels like a god damn nerf gun at anything further than close range. I can't believe I used to have fun playing Halo 3. I started Halo 2 and Halo 1 with MCC, and I can't understand how people think the gameplay is better than Halo 2 or 1.

The aiming feels like ass, everytime I turn it feels like there's motion blur, and the movement is straight ass. MLG settings are decent, but vanilla Halo 3 blows. I wish Halo 3 was segmented from the rest of MCC, and this is coming from an ex Halo 3 kid.

Has anyone played AR starts Black Out recently? The epitome of what's wrong with AR starts.

• Upvote (+1) 9

MCC has obvious problems, but I still play it because having sub-par versions of 1-3 is better than H5 imho. I experience bad connections, quitters, lag, bad shot registration, etc. but at least it isn't sprint, OP AR's, thrusters, spartan charge, horrible radar, crap sniper, grating sound design, bad maps, ground pound, stretched out maps, visual noise out the yin yang, and an awful campaign (the first I haven't bothered completing on legendary). The OG Halo's were so pure they still shine to me even through 343's contemptible mismanagement.

• Upvote (+1) 7

... 343's contemptible mismanagement.

For the upteenth time, 343 is not a sentient being.

Bonnie Ross is a person.

Dan Ayoub is a person.

People do different jobs other than managing a game franchise or game development.

They would never find another job in the game industry, but so what?

They're not suited for it anyway.

MCC has obvious problems, but I still play it because having sub-par versions of 1-3 is better than H5 imho. I experience bad connections, quitters, lag, bad shot registration, etc. but at least it isn't sprint, OP AR's, thrusters, spartan charge, horrible radar, crap sniper, grating sound design, bad maps, ground pound, stretched out maps, visual noise out the yin yang, and an awful campaign (the first I haven't bothered completing on legendary). The OG Halo's were so pure they still shine to me even through 343's contemptible mismanagement.

Haven't played a game of H5 multiplayer since day three of the beta, never will. Game is trash

• Upvote (+1) 6

I have developed a deep hatred for Halo 3 because of MCC. Every single cross game playlist is Halo 3. It wins the vote 90% of the time at least. And to make it even worse, AR starts Halo 3 will quite often beat BR starts Halo 2 or Halo 1 magnum starts. And when you get a game filled with Halo 3 people, they either quit the build/game if Halo 3 doesn't win, or quit out half way through when they realize they're getting destroyed by someone with a BR and they only have a fuckin AR to defend themselves because they actually voted AR starts.

With all this time playing Halo 3 because it wins the vote so much, I realized how shit of a game it is. What's fun about putting 10 shots into someone further than close range and them living? The BR feels like a god damn nerf gun at anything further than close range. I can't believe I used to have fun playing Halo 3. I started Halo 2 and Halo 1 with MCC, and I can't understand how people think the gameplay is better than Halo 2 or 1.

The aiming feels like ass, everytime I turn it feels like there's motion blur, and the movement is straight ass. MLG settings are decent, but vanilla Halo 3 blows. I wish Halo 3 was segmented from the rest of MCC, and this is coming from an ex Halo 3 kid.

Has anyone played AR starts Black Out recently? The epitome of what's wrong with AR starts.

To be fair, h3 on mcc has horrible hit registration compared to h3 on 360, and that's saying something since it was so wacky on the 360.  A few months ago I went back and played h3 on 360 and it felt like a completely different game than it does on mcc.  It felt so much better.  

I get annoyed by people always picking halo 3, but it's also the map selection that really bothers me.  So often Team Slayer is smg starts on foundation, ar starts on isolation, and h1 rat race.  I wouldn't get as annoyed by people voting halo 3 if it was at least br's on guardian/pit/construct/heretic/narrows.  Not sure who did the map selection for mcc but it is horrendous.  I've actually played smg starts on gemini on mcc more than I've played br starts on lockout.  

I know it's probably not the case, but I feel like I've played smg/ar starts more on mcc than I did during the halo 2 and 3 days.  

The map selection is such an easy thing 343 could change to make the experience better.  If they would just let some old halo fan tell them what the map selection should be, the game would be so much more enjoyable, even with all of the problems.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everything post-Reach is barely playable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure if any one of us had a one on one conversation with Hardy Lebel or Alex Seriopian, they would comment on what a joke 343 is.  They could probably come up with a business strategy that would appease every consumer who's ever picked up a halo title in about 2 days time, and any future customer.  They would deliver a perfect port of all 4 halo games, and probably have halo 5 already bundled with the game without the need for a single patch in one years time.   That time includes forming their dev team.   Halo 5 would of course not be the bad game that it currently is.  They are just that much better that anyone who's ever had anything to do with producing a halo title, and for them to have access to all this new technology.... I can't even fathom how bad ass a game they could create.  Guys like Hardy and Alex, they must just laugh at the failures in their field that never came close to accomplishing what they and a few select others from the OG Bungie team did.  Hardy and Alex are in the same class as Shigeru Miyamoto.  The game they made 15 years ago (Halo CE) is worlds better than anything that has come out after it. Newer looking graphics mean shit when the game play is laughable.  If 343 wants to keep patting themselves on the back because sheep will buy any game that is new then it's a false sense of accomplishment and a coping mechanism to pretend that they aren't getting shit on by comments from random players of MCC on a daily basis.

To work and study that hard in the field of software development only to end up at 343 and know that your company is a joke... wow just wow.

• Upvote (+1) 4

does anyone know when the og halo 3 servers will go offline?

Whenever Microsoft drop Xbox Live support for the 360.