CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I love when people neg but don't reply because they know they have fuck all to say that would make any sense.

I mean I'm pretty sure you negged me like awhile back and didn't reply back.

Not that I don't think you don't have anything to say, but at least I have something to go on when you reply.

Why don't you both bring copies of CT to the beach LAN and see if two others will play?

I would have played with you guys but I'm thinking I won't be attending this year unfortunately :( Not much vacation time to use and I gotta pay off some lines of credit for house maintenance.

Unfortunately you can't splitscreen, so we would be hogging 2 stations.  I might try to bring 4 copies anyways in case the opportunity presents itself.

Chaos Theory is tied for my favorite 2v2 game next to CE.  It is literally just as good, just in a very different way.  That game is phenomenal and no one knows it.

CT was my introduction to the series but also my exit (bought Blacklist but was hugely disappointed). The game's MP experience is undoubtedly one of a kind and also very deep, just like you guys were saying. The maps were absolutely top notch, as well. I was actually talking about this yesterday with a buddy, hoping that since it's officially the era of reboots/remasters that SC:CT would get the treatment with untouched physics -- just a graphic overhaul to keep the new crowd happy. I was full blown nerd status with it, just like H1. Just a beast... The game speed is completely dictated by a player's skill level and the controls were fuckin' perfect.  The MP exploits/glitches as both spies and mercs kept me coming back for years until servers went dark. Then I played over XBC and XLink for a while before college rolled around and that was the end of that. I had quite a bit of content hosted on Mythica but that's been extinct for years now, wish I could retrieve it. The game was definitely niche fandom wise; it's really unfortunate people will never get to experience the depth let alone the multiplayer experience.

Glad to hear others saw it the same way I did.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm having some problems, outside of the multiplayer.

For one, the UI is tremendously slow. The worst it has ever been for me. I struggle to get anywhere. This started maybe 3 or 4 days ago.

Also, I've been playing the campaign here and there, and I'm on H3 now. And my vibration is disabled, but still vibrates. It didn't do this for H1 or H2.

Anyone else having these issues?

Bloated > Non-existent

Halo 5 has a bloated sandbox with a bunch of overlapping viable weapons. Halo 3 has a non-existent sandbox with a few usable weapons and a bunch of useless ones.

A bloated sandbox can be fixed by editing weapon spawns. A non-existent sandbox is fucked no matter what.

How exactly can a sandbox be "non-existent?" The H3 sandbox is very limited due to the fact many weapons are not viable and can simply be ingnored. But overall it is much more balanced than H5's.

H5's sandbox was built with the mindset "if all guns are strong, then they are balanced" which is simply garbage logic. They did not factor in ease of use at all when designing the sandbox. The sniper, autos, shotgun, all Promethean weapons, DMR, BR, Railgun all feature H2 BR levels of aim assist with extremely fast kill times. How is that better than H3?

Just a little thought experiment: Put the H5 Storm Rifle or SMG on any HCE, H2 or H3 map. It instantly becomes the #1 power weapon everyone goes for because of how horribly broken it is.

For the record, I agree that H3's sandbox is overall way too weak and the worst sandbox of the OG trilogy. But saying H5's is anything more than marginally better cannot be justified IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Constantly getting H3 in team hardcore :mj:

but at least every time i run into EvaduR he is on my team  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why do I even try to post in r/halo?  The moment you ask about an update or anything MCC/343 related, you get down voted to hell.  Its amazing that this is the community that @@Bravo and all the others choose to rely on. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4qvgyk/no_community_update_this_week_due_to_stream/d4w7wlk

I'll never forget when they said "hey guys, Bravo and Ghost are at 343 so you know the CE port is going to be made correctly!"

They couldn't even provide proper direction on which platform to base the CE on MCC on. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll never forget when they said "hey guys, Bravo and Ghost are at 343 so you know the CE port is going to be made correctly!"

They couldn't even provide proper direction on which platform to base the CE on MCC on. 

I'm sure they did tell them to use the Xbox code but that's not their decision at all. It is much cheaper to base it on the PC code. Dollars are what counts to Microsoft. Nothing Bravo could have said would have overruled this.

I agree that it's stupid to think Brav and Ghost being at 343 would have any bearing on decisions there.

Why do I even try to post in r/halo? The moment you ask about an update or anything MCC/343 related, you get down voted to hell. Its amazing that this is the community that @@Bravo and all the others choose to rely on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4qvgyk/no_community_update_this_week_due_to_stream/d4w7wlk

"YES, they've acknowledged their mistakes. Look at Halo 5's launch and tell me it was like MCC's."

You can make their mistakes go away, you just have to pay another $59.99. Be gr8ful

• Upvote (+1) 1

"YES, they've acknowledged their mistakes. Look at Halo 5's launch and tell me it was like MCC's."

You can make their mistakes go away, you just have to pay another $59.99. Be gr8ful

until 343 follows through on what they promised - they will never have my business or support.  You cant lie to me and expect me to move on just because you put out another game with "Halo" in the title.  Its an absolute shame to see what 343 has done to Halo, and they have failed time and time again in their belief that their vision is the direction that the series needs to go in.  

• Upvote (+1) 6

H5's servers are just as bad as MCC's. Random disconnects and fucky matchmaking are just another day in 343's office

I'm sure they did tell them to use the Xbox code but that's not their decision at all. It is much cheaper to base it on the PC code. Dollars are what counts to Microsoft. Nothing Bravo could have said would have overruled this.

I agree that it's stupid to think Brav and Ghost being at 343 would have any bearing on decisions there.

It was a given that they would use the PC code, the Xbox One is based off of modern x86 and you have an x86 version of Halo PC already compatible with windows 10. Going by and using code for a 15 years old console with outdated instruction sets and APIs would be ludicrous.

If anything they should of put more effort in updating the PC code to make it similar to the Xbox version. Thats the strength of the PC version it can be modified.   

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love when people neg but don't reply because they know they have fuck all to say that would make any sense.

You neg me twice the other day and didn't reply back. I don't care but lol hypocrisy.

• Upvote (+1) 8

It was a given that they would use the PC code, the Xbox One is based off of modern x86 and you have an x86 version of Halo PC already compatible with windows 10. Going by and using code for a 15 years old console with outdated instruction sets and APIs would be ludicrous.

If anything they should of put more effort in updating the PC code to make it similar to the Xbox version. Thats the strength of the PC version it can be modified.   

The PC code is fundamentally broken though. That's why MCC is still shit.

I agree from a cost perspective it's ludicrous but understand you can't tell people it'll play exactly like they remember it.

Anyway, Bluepoint reverse engineers old games without any problems so... seems like a BS excuse if you ask me. They can still do it and turn a profit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree from a cost perspective it's ludicrous but understand you can't tell people it'll play exactly like they remember it.

IMO, that was their biggest fault with this title. All they had to do was put the game out there truthfully.

"Hey, here's some nostalgia but be aware there are some rough edges from the porting process".

The game wasn't for newcomers to the series. And the foundational Halo fans would have bought this shit anyways.

Now - rather than releasing an imperfect game - the people representing the studio are rightly deemed dishonest and untrustworthy. It no longer matters how good any of their next games are as the people behind the product have lost the public's good faith 

What should have happened is a long, private beta. We basically were retail buying beta testers for months.

If I had been told up front that the game was really rough and they needed beta testers and you had to buy a certain game or pre-order MCC to get beta access... I would have done it. And I would have been able to live with it because I'd know it's not the full release yet and I'm helping them fix something that will hopefully last for years to let people enjoy Halo 1 online on day 1 of retail release, and it would be able to sustain population because people would love it from the first day.

But of course they needed a system seller for Christmas 2014.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The PC code is fundamentally broken though. That's why MCC is still shit.

Anyway, Bluepoint reverse engineers old games without any problems so... seems like a BS excuse if you ask me. They can still do it and turn a profit.

I wish they did they more with the PC code, only thing they did right was fix the animations being stuck at 30fps. Anyways they had the resource but failed to deliver.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Team is looking into it :simms:

Lol I'm surprised they just don't shut down the servers for MCC.  Can't believe how they just got away with that one.  Any other game dev or studio would have lost their jobs by now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol I'm surprised they just don't shut down the servers for MCC.  Can't believe how they just got away with that one.  Any other game dev or studio would have lost their jobs by now.

I think that if there were two teams that worked on Halo (similar to CoD) then MS would have put the hammer down on 343 a long time ago. But that isn't going to happen because 343 is all they got for their what-used-to-be system seller.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wargod why do you dislike overwatch so much? I know often if people prefer a genre or specific game then they won't care for ones that are wildly different. Like there's a ridiculously high number of Halo players who absolutely hate shadowrun because of the movement based bloom. The game is incredibly deep and skillful but they never even broke the surface because of one mechanic.

Does it have to do with it being class based? I'm not saying it's on the level of CE or Shadowrun, but I think it's a pretty skill based game. Some characters can be cheesy but it takes a decent amount of knowledge to know how to play multiple characters.

I'm not really sure of the context around this question, but I'll answer it too.

I've been playing overwatch a lot, and I'm really starting to hate it. In my opinion, the game just sort of plays like a total cluster fuck. I've watched some high level play, and that looks even more like a cluster fuck. This stems from mechanics that clash with each other. The biggest problem in my opinion is there is no friendly fire. People shoot indiscriminately and there is no penalty for hitting your teammates. Your shots even go through your teammates. Also, you should be able to hurt yourself. Fucking junkrats wouldn't go 3 seconds before killing themselves if they could do damage to themselves.

The next issue is that in general, I would consider almost every characters ult extremely corny. I don't have any ideas for less corny ults, but all I know is that most ults are just stupid. Genji, and Mei are the only ults that I think are acceptable as is, although Meis is very underpowered comparatively.

Thirdly, you charge up your ult by doing damage to the enemy. Best case, it leads to more random gameplay because you don't really have a way to predict when the enemy will use their ults. Worst case, it can lead to snowballing gameplay as players are rewarded for already doing well. I think a better solution would be for ults to be placed on map, like a halo 1 power up. This would make the game more predictable and give people a reason to traverse the map.

The special abilities, (forget what they're called, but Meis ice wall, for instance) are on a cool down timer. The idea is that people don't spam the abilities, but I think this is a poor way to keep this from happening. Again, I think the game would play better if they were on map items you could pick up. Even if you could pick up more than one.

There is no ammo. This isn't really a big issue, but I think that needing to pick up ammo produces more predictability through map traversal routes.

Support characters in general, and especially mercy, are not fun to use. Most people who I've met that plays support does so because it helps the team win. I've never seen a mercy main that actually plays her because they enjoy it. Just because her ult is completely game changing, and having a mercy player is part of the meta. The fact that there are characters you play simply because you have to is sort of a problem in my opinion. The game would play fine without these characters, but you are forced to have one on your team because the other team has one. Even beyond support, characters not being fun to use is a big issue. Bastion, Reinhardt, I'm looking at you.

Now, on top of all these issues, there are all the issues with competitive that everyone is talking about online. Giant hitboxes, coin toss, etc.

I really wanted to like this game, but it's just not something I have fun with. I've tried though.

• Upvote (+1) 5