CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Kind of random, but I was playing around with Windows Dreamscene and made a looping animated background of the Damnation waterfalls for Windows 7. 

You can get the Dreamscene activator here, and the video file here. To fix the transparent desktop text, go to your desktop options and set your background as a solid color "black", then enable the Dreamscene again.

If you're using Windows 10, you can do a little VLC wallpaper mode hack to make it work. Paste the following text into Notepad (changing the file path near the end, and/or the Program Files folder for 64-bit machines), then save it as a .bat file and run it. Warning though, this does not work properly if you use multiple monitors. 

c:
cd\
cd C:\Program Files (x86)
cd VideoLAN
cd VLC
vlc.exe --no-video-title-show --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen -f --no-video-title-show --repeat --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen --video-wallpaper "c:/insert/path/to/video/file/here.wmv"
exitYou can save this .bat somewhere and then add it as a startup task in the Task Scheduler (I can give directions on how to do this if need be). 

I can make more if these if anybody wants a particular scene/viewpoint/etc. 

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept video (ignore the random Twitch audio). https://www.mediafire.com/?aexeqc2oiutekw1

Why not just set the absolute path? 

set VlcPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
%VlcPath%\vlc.exe --no-video-title-show --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen -f --no-video-title-show --repeat --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen --video-wallpaper "c:/insert/path/to/video/file/here.wmv"
exit

Of course your way would work as well, just removes the overhead/tediousness of changing directories every time the script is run.

Why not just set the absolute path? 

set VlcPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
%VlcPath%\vlc.exe --no-video-title-show --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen -f --no-video-title-show --repeat --no-embedded-video --no-qt-fs-controller --qt-start-minimized --qt-system-tray --fullscreen --video-wallpaper "c:/insert/path/to/video/file/here.wmv"
exit

Of course your way would work as well, just removes the overhead/tediousness of changing directories every time the script is run.

The "think like a script wizard" part of my brain completely ceases to function when I'm using Windows. ;x

The "think like a script wizard" part of my brain completely ceases to function when I'm using Windows. ;x

Haha I understand man. I actually have a couple of batch scripts in my environment PATH because I keep typing "ls" when I'm in the command line, so now I have a script to actually do it along with a couple of other UNIX commands.

So is the h1 playlist, or just mcc in general, dead? I've been caught up with real life for the last few months and just got on for the first time (and on the forums!) in a while and haven't been able to find a single game.

i got matches like 1 week ago pretty quickly. even made a friend.

@@Hard Way I'm getting home from my trip tonight. Halo 1 pls

You see my leave got approved?  We're going to Beach LAN suckaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Haha I understand man. I actually have a couple of batch scripts in my environment PATH because I keep typing "ls" when I'm in the command line, so now I have a script to actually do it along with a couple of other UNIX commands.

The day Linux gets widespread app support is the day I become a free man.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You see my leave got approved?  We're going to Beach LAN suckaaaaaaaa!!!!!

see ya there. We can run Beyond Squad twos. @@Teapot where you at, sign up!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You see my leave got approved? We're going to Beach LAN suckaaaaaaaa!!!!!

LFG

i got matches like 1 week ago pretty quickly. even made a friend.

Ah sweet, maybe I just had some bad luck.

Bash coming to windows 10 soon  :D

God I'm so excited

Eeeh I really didn't care for the first.

Are you insane? The first Halo DLC map pack was H2's Killtacular pack with Turf and Sanctuary.

It was free and a requirement if you wanted to play ranked matchmaking.

Those two maps are classic.

Are you insane? The first Halo DLC map pack was H2's Killtacular pack with Turf and Sanctuary.

It was free and a requirement if you wanted to play ranked matchmaking.

Those two maps are classic.

1. I thought you meant Halo 4

2. Was never able to play Halo 2 online.

MCC feels broken all over again these past few days. registration noticeably worse again and everyone is crashing after games like on release. i hope we aren't going down this road again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. I thought you meant Halo 4

2. Was never able to play Halo 2 online.

Super glad you're smart enough to make the distinction between Bungie's Halo 2 and that 34flea market version found on the MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MCC feels broken all over again these past few days. registration noticeably worse again and everyone is crashing after games like on release. i hope we aren't going down this road again.

Even if we are, 343 arent going to fix it. 

Super glad you're smart enough to make the distinction between Bungie's Halo 2 and that 34flea market version found on the MCC.

Yes well I did LAN it a large amount in my youth so I know the pain of a broken Halo 2.

Yes well I did LAN it a large amount in my youth so I know the pain of a broken Halo 2.

Pretty unbelievable how efficiently that game ran given the world's broadband infrastructure at the time. My connection speed was 3 Mbps down in Nov '04. It was such a huge event when Comcast bumped it up to 6 Mbps down sometime in '05. Best of times, worst of times type thing.

Pretty unbelievable how efficiently that game ran given the world's broadband infrastructure at the time. My connection speed was 3 Mbps down in Nov '04. It was such a huge event when Comcast bumped it up to 6 Mbps down sometime in '05. Best of times, worst of times type thing.

All I remember from my youth of Halo 2 online was a blue screen. 

Still have fonder memories of that than MCC and all the sourness that came along with it.

Yep mcc has been broken all night for me crashed after every game same with my friend.

Even if we are, 343 arent going to fix it. 

That's kind of my point. If the game starts breaking again then we're screwed.

Finally got around to re downloading the game after a year. Now it's just a matter onc convincing myself to turn on my Xbox and actually attempt to play this again lol

That's kind of my point. If the game starts breaking again then we're screwed.

I've seen you on quite a bit lately usually doing FFA's. How's the skill level in those customs? Pretty mixed?