CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I wish Microsoft would put Halo in the hands of a new dev that that appreciate and love Halo - one that wants to bring Halo back to where it should be.  After H4, MCC and a game that cant retain players in H5 - how many strikes do they get?  

The complication here is that developers are not a single entity. They're a group. Honestly, I get the impression that a lot of the people who work at 343 really do care about the franchise. There are obviously competent, passionate people there (H5 forge team, anyone?). The problem appears to be that the management is incompetent and doesn't really give a shit about the series beyond being a "modern shooter," trans-media product and, increasingly, a platform for "diversity" in fictional characters. I think a more realistic change would be higher ups at Microsoft/Xbox deciding that the current management at 343 has clearly failed with 3 titles in a row and shit-canning them for someone more equivalent to Rod Fergusson at The Coalition.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The complication here is that developers are not a single entity. They're a group. Honestly, I get the impression that a lot of the people who work at 343 really do care about the franchise. There are obviously competent, passionate people there (H5 forge team, anyone?). The problem appears to be that the management is incompetent and doesn't really give a shit about the series beyond being a "modern shooter," trans-media product and, increasingly, a platform for "diversity" in fictional characters. I think a more realistic change would be higher ups at Microsoft/Xbox deciding that the current management at 343 has clearly failed with 3 titles in a row and shit-canning them for someone more equivalent to Rod Fergusson at The Coalition.

The only problem is, the higher ups aren't going to consider Halo 5 a "failure" considering the fact that they're bringing revenue. Unfortunately.. That's how business works. Obviously, a lot of us, including myself, hate the direction the game is going, but when you're bringing in constant revenue from stuff like REQ packs, they don't consider that a failure at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only problem is, the higher ups aren't going to consider Halo 5 a "failure" considering the fact that they're bringing revenue. Unfortunately.. That's how business works. Obviously, a lot of us, including myself, hate the direction the game is going, but when you're bringing in constant revenue from stuff like REQ packs, they don't consider that a failure at all.

Quite presumptuous to assume Halo 5 is generating revenue. Considering they haven't released actual numbers, how could you possibly know?

The game has turned a profit. However business is all about expectations. Halo 5 should have made more money and retained a larger player base. I imagine Microsoft is discussing changes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The game has turned a profit. However business is all about expectations. Halo 5 should have made more money and retained a larger player base. I imagine Microsoft is discussing changes.

Exactly this. Just being profitable isn't exactly inspiring for their flagship gaming franchise. Its population is waning, its cultural relevance and reputation with gamers is at an all-time low, and individual unit sales continue to drop (based on what information you can actually find on it). There is only so much they can off-set with over-priced merchandise and the poorly conceived micro-transaction system that seems to be quickly losing steam.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look at the dudes on here still giving 343 money. It's never gonna change cause this fanbase lacks conviction. It's a bunch of lemmings.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Quite presumptuous to assume Halo 5 is generating revenue. Considering they haven't released actual numbers, how could you possibly know?

Don't be ridiculous man lol. We DEFINITELY know they're selling REQ packs and they assuredly sold more than a few million copies of Halo 5. There is no data that could prove otherwise. Not sure how you think it's presumptuous when practically all of us know this to be true already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

for a franchise as successful as halo, just barely making a profit should worry ms, in the same way that batman v superman just barely turning a profit worried wb.

for a franchise as successful as halo, just barely making a profit should worry ms, in the same way that batman v superman just barely turning a profit worried wb.

Frankie said a few days ago they were 5mil copies deep in sales just 3 months after release, or something alone those lines. Not the best selling halo but those are still huge numbers for any game if he is to be believed.

Frankie said a few days ago they were 5mil copies deep in sales just 3 months after release, or something alone those lines. Not the best selling halo but those are still huge numbers for any game if he is to be believed.

Didn't MCC sell around 5 Million copies as well?

Speaking of which....has anything changed since last month? I last played when the CE playlist was bugged again with kill penalties. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

He said 5 million SHIPPED which is a much different statistic (and Frankie knows that). ET "shipped" millions of copies too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was skimming through old MLG articles and there was something posted about how early on into Halo 3 it had more than a 50% attach rate. something like 5 million copies sold to 8 million 360s sold. This was a few days ago and I forgot to save it but I can always go back and find it if people are that interested.

• Upvote (+1) 2

He said 5 million SHIPPED which is a much different statistic (and Frankie knows that). ET "shipped" millions of copies too.

This.

For example, I worked at Best Buy when Titanfall was released. Our store received approximately 150 Xbox One copies of the game. We sold maybe 15-20 of those. The number shipped vs the number sold can be drastically different. The rest sat around for a few months before we finally got instructed to ship them back to our warehouse.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This.

For example, I worked at Best Buy when Titanfall was released. Our store received approximately 150 Xbox One copies of the game. We sold maybe 15-20 of those. The number shipped vs the number sold can be drastically different. The rest sat around for a few months before we finally got instructed to ship them back to our warehouse.

Lol did TitanFall really flopped that bad ?

No. It's just that this isn't a heavily populated area. I'd be surprised if there were even 150 Xbox Ones in my area at the time. I couldn't think of any good reason that our store received so many copies. I just wanted to point out that there can be a drastic difference between the number of copies of a game that are shipped compared to the number sold.

Also it's important to consider how many people just buy it digitally now.  Retail  anecdotes are hardly reliable anymore. 

Don't be ridiculous man lol. We DEFINITELY know they're selling REQ packs and they assuredly sold more than a few million copies of Halo 5. There is no data that could prove otherwise. Not sure how you think it's presumptuous when practically all of us know this to be true already.

From a business standpoint, you really have to be moving a substantial sum for it to be counted as asset generation. If they'd invested $300 M into making, marketing, releasing, and maintaining H5... moving a few thousand paid-with-Bing-Rewards DLC units on an ongoing basis is hardly what the execs will call "generating sales".

As they haven't released numbers, there's no way of really knowing beyond observation. I for one, haven't even played H5. The game is frequently sold at the sub $30 mark. It received perhaps one gaming accolade this year from awards shows and gaming blogs - certainly no GOTY awards. It received absolutely 0 airtime at E3. They're reluctant to release any meaningful statistics including active player count. There is little evidence that the game is doing well. In fact, most of these observations suggest it isn't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

From a business standpoint, you really have to be moving a substantial sum for it to be counted as asset generation. If they'd invested $300 M into making, marketing, releasing, and maintaining H5... moving a few thousand paid-with-Bing-Rewards DLC units on an ongoing basis is hardly what the execs will call "generating sales".

As they haven't released numbers, there's no way of really knowing beyond observation. I for one, haven't even played H5. The game is frequently sold at the sub $30 mark. It received perhaps one gaming accolade this year from awards shows and gaming blogs - certainly no GOTY awards. It received absolutely 0 airtime at E3. They're reluctant to release any meaningful statistics including active player count. There is little evidence that the game is doing well. In fact, most of these observations suggest it isn't.

Well for one, I didn't exactly equate REQ sales == generating sales. For the simple fact that REQ sales crowd funded almost 2 million in addition to the 1 million dollar HCS pot last year, you don't think they got a cut in that? Not to mention that the HCS is still going on and they've been releasing all these free updates? You can assure yourself there are people buying gold packs to get all the latest warzone stuff; you can literally go on Waypoint and look/ask for yourself. You will see posts along the lines of "Well, you like to spend your money on alcohol or parties.. I like to use my money for something I can use more than once and I happen to like Warzone [...]".

Your second point more or less pertains to player retention which is an entirely different discussion. You're making it sound like I'm saying this game sold more than every other game on the market right now haha. Definitely not, but Halo 5 still has the word "Halo" in it, so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that Halo 5 can't sell a few million. I'm hella willing to bet Halo 5 didn't invest $300 million into development either. I think the only game that came close to something that significant was Grand Theft Auto if I'm not mistaken, and I only say that because I saw an article about it. 

Well for one, I didn't exactly equate REQ sales == generating sales. For the simple fact that REQ sales crowd funded almost 2 million in addition to the 1 million dollar HCS pot last year, you don't think they got a cut in that? Not to mention that the HCS is still going on and they've been releasing all these free updates? You can assure yourself there are people buying gold packs to get all the latest warzone stuff; you can literally go on Waypoint and look/ask for yourself. You will see posts along the lines of "Well, you like to spend your money on alcohol or parties.. I like to use my money for something I can use more than once and I happen to like Warzone [...]".

Your second point more or less pertains to player retention which is an entirely different discussion. You're making it sound like I'm saying this game sold more than every other game on the market right now haha. Definitely not, but Halo 5 still has the word "Halo" in it, so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that Halo 5 can't sell a few million. I'm hella willing to bet Halo 5 didn't invest $300 million into development either. I think the only game that came close to something that significant was Grand Theft Auto if I'm not mistaken, and I only say that because I saw an article about it.

2 million is nothing to MS they probably spent that in a week advertising of Halo5

2 million is nothing to MS they probably spent that in a week advertising of Halo5

$2 million in advertisements that they didn't have to spend themselves. Not really the point I was getting at though.

... so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that Halo 5 can't sell a few million. I'm hella willing to bet Halo 5 didn't invest $300 million into development either...

I see you're looking for confirmation bias, but I never insinuated either of those things.

The facts remains; the numbers are unknown. But when asking "Why?", I surmise the reason is because the sales were well short of expectations.

As for the $300 M for not only development... and marketing... & continued maintenance; it was just a number. Replace it with one of your choosing if you like.

We both know why the player count is kept private.

Now if you'd be so kind as to comment on the lack of awards, critical acclaim. I'd really like to hear that explained away.

I see you're looking for confirmation bias, but I never insinuated either of those things.

The facts remains; the numbers are unknown. But when asking "Why?", I surmise the reason is because the sales were well short of expectations.

As for the $300 M for not only development... and marketing... & continued maintenance; it was just a number. Replace it with one of your choosing if you like.

We both know why the player count is kept private.

Now if you'd be so kind as to comment on the lack of awards, critical acclaim. I'd really like to hear that explained away.

Halo 5 is disappointing we all understand that. Even DuecEy.
  • Upvote (+1) 2