CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Do you happen to know what the main issue with running CE on the 360 is? Possible frame rate problems I would assume? 

People have reported that the radius for sound effects is increased. For example, you can hear someone reload from farther away. Not sure if this is true though. Also if you're playing at 480p camo is very easy to see compared to 480i and below.

If you're going to LAN with 360's competitively, everyone should be using one or the playing field won't be quite even.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm definitely not one to be patient on The Library. I think its just a matter of play style maybe. With so many of the carrier forms in the beginning, guns can easily fly around.

I have probably played CE campaign 50 times since 2002 when I got CE. I've done all the difficulties including LASO. I never once have trouble finding a shotgun. Maybe next time since you know there is one in the beginning, to actually look for it.

I believe you, I think I remember grabbing one a couple times. Like you said guns get blown up. Usually I just book it to the door and grab a shotty from one of the guys in the 4th room because one of the human forms that jumps down there always spawns with one so I always get his. I've played it like 100 times if not more lol.

People have reported that the radius for sound effects is increased. For example, you can hear someone reload from farther away. Not sure if this is true though. Also if you're playing at 480p camo is very easy to see compared to 480i and below.

If you're going to LAN with 360's competitively, everyone should be using one or the playing field won't be quite even.

Interesting, thanks. Sorry I am a CE LAN noob, so what is the optimal resolution for competitive OG CE?

I think someone said 360p or 480i is OK.

@@stunt_man is it possible to mod halo 1 final to make camo more invisible for higher res tvs?

Possible.

But it would make it very hard to see at lower resolutions. You can't change it on a per-resolution basis.

Possible.

But it would make it very hard to see at lower resolutions. You can't change it on a per-resolution basis.

But I'm saying couldn't you load a low res and high res copy of halo 1 final on your Xbox and just use whatever one works for you? Like if you both have a high res TV.

But I'm saying couldn't you load a low res and high res copy of halo 1 final on your Xbox and just use whatever one works for you? Like if you both have a high res TV.

I suppose. The reason there isn't much demand is probably because CRT TV's that support 480p aren't very common.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Had the one of the best games of Halo CE solo in a long time and just realized again MCC doesn't have theater for H1 & H2  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Maybe it's because I'm just popping a couple grenades and booking it out of there so I never get a shotgun. It's way more tedious to face a huge wave there.

Yeah its the group right at the door to leave the first area and go into the middle.

If you follow this though you'll get a shotgun pretty easy and not have to fight the some of the guys on the first level

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah its the group right at the door to leave the first area and go into the middle.

If you follow this though you'll get a shotgun pretty easy and not have to fight the some of the guys on the first level

Yeah I'm talking non speed runs haha. Playing the game the way Bungie intended. I've got close to a 2 hour time on Legendary full game.

Yeah I'm talking non speed runs haha. Playing the game the way Bungie intended. I've got close to a 2 hour time on Legendary full game.

Then just take the first area a little slower and you should find one.

I'm in the Min/Max group of getting through campaigns. So if it's an easy speed running technique I'll pick it up, if not I'll just blast through some enemies.

Halo 1 is the best video game I've ever played. I started with Halo 3 and when MCC came out, I tried out Halo 2. After that I was like, "wow, Halo 3 is garbage". Then I eventually moved to Halo 1 back when it was 3vs3 with radar. Then I'm like, "wow, Halo 2 is garbage".

I played very little Halo 4 and little Halo 5. I was pretty much done with the franchise altogether. Now I'm playing a busted ass Halo 1 PC port every night addicted to everything about it. Looking at nade trick videos, watching commentaries, and constantly trying to improve my game.

I feel for you oldschool guys. You play Halo 1 on lan then play MCC and you can't get any enjoyment out of it. I play Halo 1 on MCC for the first time, and I get a completely new experience, basically a new world when it comes to FPS games. I'm having the time of my life when it comes to video games and you guys can barely get through a game before the bullshit gets to you.

Shout out to NtG Fr33. I met him in a twitch chat and realized he lived an hour away from me and he invited me to a lan this weekend that he's hosting. Very good dude in an otherwise close nit group where it's hard to get into as a newcomer that still has a lot of shit to learn. Same goes to Akademik. Been playing with him every night and he's been showing me how to play Halo 1 better and what to do/not to do.

I'm just glad I went from almost selling my xbox to going to my first lan within a few months of each other. Hopefully a lot more to come!

Really nice to see a post like this. I've been so jealous of the grassroots style success that Melee has had (well deserved IMO) and merely wish CE could get something like that going this late in the game. It's just nice to hear someone enjoying the game so much and that you're excited to learn how deep the game really is/can be. Keep at it!

• Upvote (+1) 6

Don't know if this is common knowledge, but the website "Glasswalls.com" has about 16 anonymous reviews from former 343i employees: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/343-Industries-Reviews-E564375.htm

(You need to register/log in to get 10 days free access to the reviews.)

Some highlights that might be of relevance to the story behind recent 343i games, including MCC and H5:

I went through and found a couple more:

Get those old engine tools the hell out of there...they are hindering everyone. 

Plan better so people downstream aren't working ridiculous hours trying to meet deadlines, everything can be organized and planned out MUCH better. Make the process more efficient and get rid of political red tape. Give more transparency.

Crunch SUCKED. We crunched for about 8 months to ship. Then another 5 months for sustain.

Maybe the engine wasn't optimized/rebuilt for H5 after all ...?

Also, most importantly, only 36% of reviews approve of the CEO while the company overall has pretty high approval ratings; this is rare for Glassdoor.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't know if this is common knowledge, but the website "Glasswalls.com" has about 16 anonymous reviews from former 343i employees: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/343-Industries-Reviews-E564375.htm

(You need to register/log in to get 10 days free access to the reviews.)

Some highlights that might be of relevance to the story behind recent 343i games, including MCC and H5:

It seems that most of them agree that the employees are super talented and fun to work with but the management sucks. So what I'm getting from this is that 343 is not a lost cause and that we may get a super great game in the future once the management gets their shit together.

It seems that most of them agree that the employees are super talented and fun to work with but the management sucks. So what I'm getting from this is that 343 is not a lost cause and that we may get a super great game in the future once the management gets their shit together.

It's clear 343 have talent there but it doesn't matter so long management stand in the way. Hell, those

people should have more freedom and more time.

It's clear 343 have talent there but it doesn't matter so long management stand in the way. Hell, those

people should have more freedom and more time.

Basically the management needs to pull a Don Mattrick to Phil Spencer.

I don't think anyone doubted they had talented employees. It almost exclusively derives from poor management and perhaps over management by MS in the product. MrBTongue on YouTube has a good video about bioware where he talks about managers at EA who likely feel they have to contribute in some way to the process so that they can justify their presence on the project and inflate their sense of self importance (anyone in business can understand this happening in the gaming industry).

Given Josh's history with Turok and statements regarding Halo it could just be 343 management though.

Given the continued failures of 343s management I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some changes. Who was the recent multiplayer lead that left? He may have been the start.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think anyone doubted they had talented employees. It almost exclusively derives from poor management and perhaps over management by MS in the product. MrBTongue on YouTube has a good video about bioware where he talks about managers at EA who likely feel they have to contribute in some way to the process so that they can justify their presence on the project and inflate their sense of self importance (anyone in business can understand this happening in the gaming industry).

Given Josh's history with socom and statements regarding Halo it could just be 343 management though.

Socom? You mean the game?

I wish Microsoft/343/SOMEONE was actually held accountable for this disaster. I can't believe they just got away with it with no serious backlash from the media.

• Upvote (+1) 5