CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Throwback video. I laugh out loud every time I watch this. Good times. 

(looks like the video has been removed now)

• Upvote (+1) 6

It would make my day if 343 would release Halo 6 with a fully functioning CE as a bonus content type game.  Pity they wont.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It would make my day if 343 would release Halo 6 with a fully functioning CE as a bonus content type game.  Pity they wont.

I was hoping the community was going to be able to essentially create this in H5 with the CE pistol, but 343 had to go and make it hitscan and kill my dreams. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It would make my day if 343 would release Halo 6 with a fully functioning CE as a bonus content type game. Pity they wont.

Or a seperate studio gets partial rights to Halo and makes a Halo Combat Evolved 2. That's even more of a dream though.

No campaign, average graphics at 1080p 60fps, port MCC Halo 1, make the fixes, include it with the new game and build Halo CE2 off the existing engine. Wouldn't be too expensive I don't think.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Or a seperate studio gets partial rights to Halo and makes a Halo Combat Evolved 2. That's even more of a dream though.

I wish we could crowd fund this or something. I think about this happening way too much. lol 

If I ever won the lottery I would spend a couple million to make an indie CE2. no doubt. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

No campaign, average graphics at 1080p 60fps, port MCC Halo 1, make the fixes, include it with the new game and build Halo CE2 off the existing engine. Wouldn't be too expensive I don't think.

why bother porting mcc halo 1 when you could just port halo 1? Bring over 100 bugs just because it has better camo instead of just modifying og camo? Though really the only expensive part is getting the source code from m$.

Its amazing when you have a to4 and match another to4.  You can actually play in a somewhat controlled environment, in Halo 5 it just feels like a moshpit. 

I don't think they have the programming skill to pull it off tbh.  They were so insecure about their abilities to port a 15+ year old game that they outsourced the halo CE portion of the project to a third party.  If you can't take a game that runs on a 15 year old engine and make it play like LAN with proper hit registration and minimal lag on the new hardware and fast connections of today, then you suck at what you do.  Guys like Hardy Lebel, Jason Jones, and Alex Seropian were all competent individuals that knew how to do their job, hence the reason why CE was such a great successful project.  I can't really say that about the devs of today when I look at halobugs.com

These guys at 343 had a chance to be heroes by properly remaking CE on MCC and they failed.

They failed miserably. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Is there any type of consensus on what would make CE a better 4v4 game? I've always figured it was because of the spawns, but are there other factors such as the maps that people usually point to?

Is there any type of consensus on what would make CE a better 4v4 game? I've always figured it was because of the spawns, but are there other factors such as the maps that people usually point to?

Here's how to do a 4vs4 spawn system that would be true to Halo 1.

-2 teams of 4 people. Bravo vs. Alpha team.

-Alpha team is 2 red players, and 2 blue players

-Bravo team is 2 green players, and 2 yellow players

-Red players are linked together so they only spawn on each other, no matter where their fellow blue teammates are. Same goes for all the other colors.

-after all that is done, you would need an easier way to tell where people are going to spawn instead of keeping track of who is on what color team midgame and who is dead and who is alive.

-you would have to put 4 round circles of light somewhere on the screen. If I am on Alpha team(red and blue), I would be facing bravo team(yellow and green). The lights on the screen indicate who's alive on the enemy team. So on my screen, there would be two yellow lights, and two green lights. When someone dies on green team, the green light will fade until they spawn. Same thing for yellow.

-the lights would be key so you could see a yellow enemy and look at the light and realize his teammate is dead and about to spawn and you could nade the spawns or realize that he is getting a random.

That is the best system I have came up with over the years of thinking about it lol. I guess the lights aren't necessary, but it would help make the game more playable instead of the headache of keeping track of the kill feed, remember who's on what color, etc. It would suck to see a yellow enemy and have to remember the name of his yellow partner and remember what the kill feed said to see if he's dead or alive.

Maps would have to be built ground up for 4vs4. I would also include 2 sets of powerups on each map so it's 2 Overshields and 2 Camos.

Halo 1 could never be a good 4vs4 game with the maps we have now and the spawn system built for 2vs2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think he was saying how would old Carbon, FB, Str8, etc.... fair against the people who never stopped playing h2. At first i think the games would be close but it only takes so long before your skill and muscle memory come back. Im the end I think the old teams would start pulling away.

2gre, royal 2, snakebite, and naded played xbc scrims against the kids who never stopped playing h2 just before MCC came out and donged on them. It was never close.

• Upvote (+1) 5

2gre, royal 2, snakebite, and naded played xbc scrims against the kids who never stopped playing h2 just before MCC came out and donged on them. It was never close.

Dude you are going against the circlejerk, people think that new halo pros are only pros because the new game takes 0 skill.

who did they play?

Would love to see the vod of this if their is any.

I played Renzo aka Magni2ude today. Was fun.

is like you played the whole game trying to humiliate him, and pretty much did.

having played against that specific to4 and having played against teams of other pros, i don't think it's a stretch to say that while the top teams (carbon, str8, FB, 5k, agency etc.) would probably beat any combination of XBC/MCC players (the ones that don't have pro bracket experience), i think the rest of top 8 and top 16 would be a completely different story.

People always say what you said above tobes about time played and i agree to a certain extent, but those pro's also have a serious advantage in that they also never stopped playing competitive halo at it's highest level, it just stopped being halo 2. And that's where a lot of pick up teams got beat or worn down on xbc: The communication and decision making abilities that pertain to all halo's is where pro's would really come in and stomp... and they have the benefit of having constant access to the highest level of halo possible. If the top players on MCC now had the same spare time and availability to consistent pro scrims in a professional halo 2 setting i think a mix of the top players would be easily competing for top 8-16.

I've seen it go both ways. I played against the above team with a PUG (and not a very good one) and we got slapped around completely. I've also played different combinations of pros with different regulars and had a lot of success and also won games, even though the XBC squad wasn't necessarily comprised of the best players available (i was on the team for example Kappa).

I guess the main point is that what we all consider pretty unanimously to be the best halo 2 teams, they're comprised mostly of previous CE professionals and Halo 2 players that had the benefit of having the game be in the mainstream concerning competitive halo and had the benefit of scrims with other top teams, events etc. And rightfully so, they earned their place no doubt. Most people on XBC and those who play now didn't have that opportunity or got that opportunity in halo 3 and All xbc ever had was other xbc players and the occasional pro passing through... and the same is largely true with MCC with a few exceptions. If the top players now got consistent exposure to professional competition then i think you'd see a rapid jump in improvement and a lot of people eating their words on the topic... It's hard to get better at anything when you're the best available competition - a lot of players are just on a plateau because there's nothing around that can help push them to get better. I know this is true because i watched it happen. I think most people consider the top players from XBC to be some combination of Zyfe, Cherry, Scotty etc. and they've always been good since i've known them but they needed better competition to keep getting to where they were at the end of XBC. When MCC got announced and there was an influx of former pros and knowns, I think that's when they really became very, very good because they were finally in a position to play with better players. The rapid advancements the top players made on XBC as result makes me think that while they're on a plateau of sorts, they still haven't gotten close to their ceiling in terms of skill and performance, they just need the right stimulus.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm sure Xlink can be run using Wine.

Yeah, wine can be a little iffy sometimes though depending on the programs. I think it will work according to the research I did.

Figured I would share this montage, it's in my top 3 h1 tages. Along with winterwonderlan (wish I still had the 720p copy :( and halo 1 proze 2) This montage has some skillful plays, but this is more about humor than skill, although he does pull off some plays on some very talented players. Saw it on reddit a while back, it deserves a second look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s69adTCXglM

• Upvote (+1) 5

Figured I would share this montage, it's in my top 3 h1 tages. Along with winterwonderlan (wish I still had the 720p copy :( and halo 1 proze 2) This montage has some skillful plays, but this is more about humor than skill, although he does pull off some plays on some very talented players. Saw it on reddit a while back, it deserves a second look.

I enjoyed that for so many reasons.  Thank you for sharing.  

It's amazing how smooth the aiming in Halo 1 is. After a few week break, I can still spin around on 6 sens and shoot someone thats 1 shot with my pistol.

In Halo 5 I avoid 1vs1 battles at all cost because I can't even control my reticle properly.

As someone who never played Halo 1 until MCC, it was an eye opener.

• Upvote (+1) 5