CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

What mission/playlist?

Tried every mission. The load bar gets to about 99% completed then stays there for a few minutes. Then the game crashes.

Tried every mission. The load bar gets to about 99% completed then stays there for a few minutes. Then the game crashes.

Could you try getting your buddy to host the game instead? This fixed it for me when I ran it last year.

Could you try getting your buddy to host the game instead? This fixed it for me when I ran it last year.

Tried that too lol.

Oh well h2 legendary is probably easier solo than it is Co op anyways.

I had the same issue that @@Cooper was having all last year. Actually gave up completely because it just wasn't working the 100 times we tried. We tried everything we could think of. Switching hosts, starting on different missions, restarting our routers and hard resetting our xboxes etc. Then RANDOMLY 3 weeks into release, we were able to start up a co-op mission on the highway level that starts off with the tank. We should have just left our xboxes on until we beat the game because once we were done and signed off, we weren't able to go back to it for a LEGIT year.

No idea how, but a year later we started up in the beginning and it worked. At that point we grinded out like 8 missions till our eyes bled, shut it off, and was screwed over again. I decided to finish the rest solo and didn't get the armor unlock in Halo 5.

These attempts were with the same player that I beat Halo CE, Halo 3, ODST and 4 with.

The thought of never playing classic competitive halo again sucks. The occasional lans I go to while they are fun are never competitive outside of myself and 1 other person. MCC is still a giant shitfest and now the game we are supposed to jump on has radar, an average utility weapon and OP auto rifles evidently.

If there is any franchise I have played in my 15+ years of gaming that has completely lost its soul and has gone to shit, it's gotta be Halo for me. I don't know anything else I can say I enjoyed as much as Halo but is nothing like I remember. Maybe I just gotta redownload MCC again and give it another try or try to get in some customs if I ever want to play Halo again.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I had the same issue that @@Cooper was having all last year. Actually gave up completely because it just wasn't working the 100 times we tried. We tried everything we could think of. Switching hosts, starting on different missions, restarting our routers and hard resetting our xboxes etc. Then RANDOMLY 3 weeks into release, we were able to start up a co-op mission on the highway level that starts off with the tank. We should have just left our xboxes on until we beat the game because once we were done and signed off, we weren't able to go back to it for a LEGIT year.

No idea how, but a year later we started up in the beginning and it worked. At that point we grinded out like 8 missions till our eyes bled, shut it off, and was screwed over again. I decided to finish the rest solo and didn't get the armor unlock in Halo 5.

These attempts were with the same player that I beat Halo CE, Halo 3, ODST and 4 with.

Maybe it's peculiar to Halo 2 because it's the only port that didn't have online co-op originally?

The thought of never playing classic competitive halo again sucks. The occasional lans I go to while they are fun are never competitive outside of myself and 1 other person. MCC is still a giant shitfest and now the game we are supposed to jump on has radar, an average utility weapon and OP auto rifles evidently.

If there is any franchise I have played in my 15+ years of gaming that has completely lost its soul and has gone to shit, it's gotta be Halo for me. I don't know anything else I can say I enjoyed as much as Halo but is nothing like I remember. Maybe I just gotta redownload MCC again and give it another try or try to get in some customs if I ever want to play Halo again.

What's your jam? CE? 2/3?

Playing MCC again reminds me how much I like video games that look like actual video games. Halo 1 has the best overall graphic design of any video game I've played. Halo 2 is a close 2nd. Halo 3 is as much realism as I'd ever want.

I've never understood the people who want video games to look like real life.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Playing MCC again reminds me how much I like video games that look like actual video games. Halo 1 has the best overall graphic design of any video game I've played. Halo 2 is a close 2nd. Halo 3 is as much realism as I'd ever want.

I've never understood the people who want video games to look like real life.

What?

What?

bUj4Je9.jpg

d0wYA54.jpg

Obviously two different extremes, but I like the old style of graphics that don't try to immerse you with realism. In Halo, I think the graphic style of Halo 1 and 2 are miles ahead of the route that 343 is taking with their style. Overall, the old arena style of graphics is a lot better than the trend of realistic military shooters. In Halo, the old graphic style is better than the "immerse yourself in a video game that's a simulation of spartan training in 2750" graphic style.

uqhbvnZ.jpg

ZhOPjup.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6

Obviously two different extremes, but I like the old style of graphics that don't try to immerse you with realism. In Halo, I think the graphic style of Halo 1 and 2 are miles ahead of the route that 343 is taking with their style. Overall, the old arena style of graphics is a lot better than the trend of realistic military shooters. In Halo, the old graphic style is better than the "immerse yourself in a video game that's a simulation of spartan training in 2750" graphic style.

This is actually a point that's much-discussed by the team working on the new Unreal Tournament. The artist speak a lot about "visual clarity" and how important it is for the arena shooter genre. There's some old video blogs (I can't be arsed to find them for you guys) that talk about the design process of the Outpost map and all the iterations it went through before they decided on a specific look - what they decided would be a good balance between realism and what you describe as a "video game" look.

It's a real tough sell for the vast majority of modern gamers, who expect to play games that immerse themselves in another world. The whole idea of immersion and a super realistic, hyper-detailed art style is very counter-intuitive to the simplicity of the arena shooter genre.

High-budget single player campaigns are partly to blame for this. The problem is that publishers want their game to sell for a vast audience, so they try to cater to as many different demographics as possible. There are the players that want an enjoyable campaign experience, competitive multiplayer, etc, etc.

By trying to accomodate to all these different groups, modern games suffer from a lack of identity (see: modern Halo).

• Upvote (+1) 4

bUj4Je9.jpg

d0wYA54.jpg

uqhbvnZ.jpg

ZhOPjup.jpg

I disagree for several reasons. Starting with the fact that I don't find h5's art style realistic. It's strange, over the top anime with neon lights everywhere

• Downvote (-1) 1

Weird. You sure you set up your PC to have a static IP? Are you using a router or a switch?

yeah i forwarded all the ports and all that jazz too. router though.

Yeh it really sucks man. Someone made a thread recently about getting some classic Halo tournaments together etc. but it seems like no ones really pouncing on it so I don't know...

It's definitely possible to get some sort of solid classic Halo competitive scene going I think, online cups and online ladders would be a great place to start. Quake Live is a great example of an old arena shooter that still has a competitive scene going. It can be done. 

What's your jam? CE? 2/3?

I really only play H2. I know the ranking system doesn't work in MCC so I don't want to be that guy that ruins the H1 experience for players by blowing and H3 is just hard to get into when I go from a battle rifle that shoot straights to one that I have to lead shots with. I'd really only be interested in playing the first two games honestly.

I really only play H2. I know the ranking system doesn't work in MCC so I don't want to be that guy that ruins the H1 experience for players by blowing and H3 is just hard to get into when I go from a battle rifle that shoot straights to one that I have to lead shots with. I'd really only be interested in playing the first two games honestly.

Add me I'll run CE with you. I linger around rank 15 because I solo queue. As long as you can plug in your mic and talk we can do some work in there. I try to get games in every night on MCC or on the OG version via XLink. PC version too.

Add me I'll run CE with you. I linger around rank 15 because I solo queue. As long as you can plug in your mic and talk we can do some work in there. I try to get games in every night on MCC or on the OG version via XLink. PC version too.

Alright I'll hold you to that. I move into an apartment this weekend and will most likely have everything set up next week but I will add you and send an invite one night to run some CE. I just want to play Halo again!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I never knew 343 had the power to make me hate my favorite gametype, Assault.

Fuck I'm dreading the huge download again for this game. 60+ gb of bullshit lmao

At this point I'm just gonna hope that MCC releases on the PC and that the community fixes it.

No we need the source codes to fix the games, not a stupid Windows 10 exclusive app.

Get into Halo 1. Even with the problems it has on MCC, it still has the highest skill gap of all the Halos. It will change your outlook on the whole series.

Get into Halo 1. Even with the problems it has on MCC, it still has the highest skill gap of all the Halos. It will change your outlook on the whole series.

Arent you the guy who thinks the pistol should be a 4sk and nading power ups is cheap?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is actually a point that's much-discussed by the team working on the new Unreal Tournament. The artist speak a lot about "visual clarity" and how important it is for the arena shooter genre. There's some old video blogs (I can't be arsed to find them for you guys) that talk about the design process of the Outpost map and all the iterations it went through before they decided on a specific look - what they decided would be a good balance between realism and what you describe as a "video game" look.

It's a real tough sell for the vast majority of modern gamers, who expect to play games that immerse themselves in another world. The whole idea of immersion and a super realistic, hyper-detailed art style is very counter-intuitive to the simplicity of the arena shooter genre.

High-budget single player campaigns are partly to blame for this. The problem is that publishers want their game to sell for a vast audience, so they try to cater to as many different demographics as possible. There are the players that want an enjoyable campaign experience, competitive multiplayer, etc, etc.

By trying to accomodate to all these different groups, modern games suffer from a lack of identity (see: modern Halo).

I think Overwatch nailed this issue pretty well in terms of art style and not having too much visual noise - and changing Halo's art style and havin too much visual noise is the trap 343 fell into.

Arent you the guy who thinks the pistol should be a 4sk and nading power ups is cheap?

I was trolling and made it to believable.

• Downvote (-1) 1