CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

My friend has a pair of Astros and the same thing happens. Is this an MCC problem or an Astro problem?

Because I haven't heard many good things about Astro headsets...

MCC problem. Potentially an Astro MixAmp problem but that doesn't make any sense considering no other game does this.

I have Astros and Sennheisers and it doesn't matter which headset I use. This problem however only exist in MCC. No other game on Xbox on any console has done this lol.

I don't know what bad things you hear about Astros though, but they are pretty solid headphones. I use my Sennheisers rather exclusively, but Astros are really good as well.

More than likely an MCC problem.

Never happens in H5, Destiny, or Battlefront.

So if this H5 CE pistol is legit, people form this thread who play CE need to do some custom CE matches. 

So if this H5 pistol is legit, people form this thread who play CE need to do some custom CE matches.

Id try it. I think your on my friends already, your utah nakamura right?

@@AkaDemiK i almost felt bad for omega the other night. I blained him at least 6 or 7 times. His head was like a long gun magnet.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think the only thing that would surprise me at this point is MCC updates.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

So if this H5 CE pistol is legit, people form this thread who play CE need to do some custom CE matches. 

The lockout made by jesseinsanity is almost perfect forge map if you take off sprint. Every jump works exactly the way it did in H2 except for like 3 of them (you need clamber), but all of the sightlines are exactly the same.

If someone could do that with some CE maps that would be amazing.

The lockout made by jesseinsanity is almost perfect forge map if you take off sprint. Every jump works exactly the way it did in H2 except for like 3 of them (you need clamber), but all of the sightlines are exactly the same.

Almost as amazing as simply playing CE instead  :kappa:

The sound just cuts out on mine; how often i have to unplug and plug it back in kind of varies night to night though. I also use the wireless a40's.

It is fucking annoying though. Id day its a sign from the h1 gods...stop using headsets in h1 and ban them for eternity. I love my astros but h1 isnt meant to be played with astros. There is no skill in someone with their volume cranked to max hearing me spawn bottom blue on hh or nade closed perfectly by hearing me coming up.

I may be wrong, but that is my view on it and thats not how i learned to play. Im used to it now, but the feeling of knowing that i cant flank from bottom green damny because the second i step in clinkys the opponent "heard me coming up" is ridiculous and takes no skill.

Alright back to the convo, sorry for the rant. Understand i started playing competitive h1 damn near the very beginning of it. Put thousands of hours of h1 on a shitty tube in 100 ping with no mic no skype or anything. So you guys can see why i think that way.

All person induced sounds should go away from competitive video games. Walking, jumping, etc. You should earn information and where your opponent is, not have their location be given to you because you have a fancy headset. Id even take out all the gun sounds from online like Halo 1 final did when you lan. Reloading, picking weapons up, switching weapons, etc.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All person induced sounds should go away from competitive video games. Walking, jumping, etc. You should earn information and where your opponent is, not have their location be given to you because you have a fancy headset. Id even take out all the gun sounds from online like Halo 1 final did when you lan. Reloading, picking weapons up, switching weapons, etc.

Halo 1 Final got it right. I'm removing the same sound effects in my Xbox project for Halo PC. Now, when I play in other servers, it drives me nuts because everyone knows where I spawned.

It's been brought to my attention that the sound radius (ex: distance you can hear sound effects) is drastically larger in Halo PC and MCC than it is on the original Xbox. Combined with 343 new heavy duty sound effects, your presence is always advertised from a great distance.

I was working on that with a Sidewinder remake in Halo 5. I was taking care to get the scale right by using warthogs as units of measurement. I was making sure that every jump could be made without clamber, etc.

But then I stopped caring about Halo 5. My map was only about half way done.

I miss the old Halo, straight from the 'Go Halo

Chop up the soul Halo, set on his goals Halo

I hate the new Halo, the bad mood Halo

The always rude Halo, spaz in the news Halo

I miss the sweet Halo, chop up the beats Halo

I gotta to say, at that time I'd like to meet Halo

See I invented Halo, it wasn't any Halos

And now I look and look around and there's so many Halos

I used to love Halo, I used to love Halo

I even had the green Armor, I thought I was Halo

What if Halo made a game, about Halo?

Called "I Miss The Old Halo," man that would be so Halo!

That's all it was Halo, we still love Halo

And I love you like Halo loves Halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

In Quake, the Health and Armor powerups respawn at 35 and 25 seconds after the player has picked them up. In this video with Rapha he stands in a location that does not have a line of sight on Red Armor and uses sound to know when Cooller picked it up. I don't think there are zero benefits to having that type of awareness. Player's just have to be provided sufficient incentive to move despite the natural consequences of allowing your moves to be predicted in such a manner.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No more Halos from 34
Please baby no more Halos from 34

No more Halos from 34

Hey baby you forgot your skill gap
And your game's still broken from the first patch
It was more than just a game for the J-man
I remember Str8 Rippin, I was a first day fan
Uhm, well devs, I hate this iteration
The scene is dissapatin', or, just on vacation
You're, the reason everybody's trying COD
Ground pound, it's kind of odd
Mad at him cause he clamberin' 
Halo used to be teamwork and skill
Now it's sprinting left and right, no more king of the hill
Spartans speedin' and radar readin' to win, it's a sin
Spartan charge to the chin
Throw this game in the bin
Halo 4 and COD kids, noobs and novices winning, Frank O'connor is grinning
This shit unanimous to me, it's damaging to me, I think
The scene should only be holding a spot for Halo 3, I mean
It took us into MLG on main stage
We even had Farooq and DMaq on the front page
Now you wanna dumb it down, so you can make extra cash?
This shit's not addin' up, you making me mad as fuck
We said we came out here to see Halo win
You said, sprint around and buy this BR skin
Casual gaming is in
Don't kill a franchise's heritage
Just 'cause you're a pleb, learn what competitive merit is
Campaign still good though, campaign still good though
Make em' say wow those graphics look real
Make a gamer play big team and just chill
Make him no skill
Make him play 30 minutes of Onslaught Flag and drop 6 kills
Lord have mercy, Bravo heard me
Still haven't fixed the bugs from last Thursday
Bad devs, greedy devs, did us dirty
The opportunity, to make a Halo that was new to me
No Am community, I mean this game should come with nooses, we
All are losers see, anyone can be a booster when the game rewards stupidity
And no g, I was not for it
I said 34, sprint's not good, you're gonna blow it
I'll tell it radical for the casuals and everyone that they know
343's the best dev for ruining Halo

No more Halos from 34

No more Halos from 34

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In Quake, the Health and Armor powerups respawn at 35 and 25 seconds after the player has picked them up. In this video with Rapha he stands in a location that does not have a line of sight on Red Armor and uses sound to know when Cooller picked it up. I don't think there are zero benefits to having that type of awareness. Player's just have to be provided sufficient incentive to move despite the natural consequences of allowing your moves to be predicted in such a manner.

Shouldn't Rapha be punished for not looking at a power up when it spawns? I find no skill in someone hearing something.

I assume Rapha was in a power position on the map and didn't want to leave it so he listened for his opponent. He gets the power posistion and gets told where his enemy is at the same time.

Shouldn't Rapha be punished for not looking at a power up when it spawns? I find no skill in someone hearing something.

I assume Rapha was in a power position on the map and didn't want to leave it so he listened for his opponent. He gets the power posistion and gets told where his enemy is at the same time.

I don't think that gaining some element of awareness by hearing sound effects is inherently a bad thing, but in a game like CE where so much of it is based on spawn manipulation, I can understand why weapon-ready sounds are disabled.

I do like the idea of players getting punished for compulsively and carelessly reloading or meleeing all the time for no reason (I'm guilty of the latter, but working on it).

To say there's no skill involved in hearing another player... Well there's definitely skill in making yourself not heard if that's a game mechanic.

But I don't completely disagree with you because with a good pair of headphones you can hear things wayyyy too far in some games. Vanilla Halo PC is bad because if players have hardware acceleration and directional audio enabled you can hear mere footsteps from a great distance. I actually managed to find a way to reduce the sound radius of footsteps to the minimum, allowing it to be heard from the first person, but not from any distance greater than about a foot away from the player. See? Immersion and functional game mechanics can coexist after all :P

Here is the game i was talking about: 

Its definitely worth a watch as Rapha is very good at breaking down his decision making. Although this is not meant to be a substitute for watching the video, the benefit sound has on Quake is that it decreases the amount of information that is simply unknowable to a player. Throughout the video, Rapha reiterates multiple times that his goal is to delay Cooller at powerups in order to make it so the Red Armor and Mega Health spawn at the same time. This forces Cooller into a situation where he has to weigh the merit of actions that were simply not required before. He now has to chose which powerup is more worthwhile.

In halo we consider dynamic timers to be this horrible thing when Quake is a testament to the fact they can work. It added a whole new level of control a player can exert over the map.

Here is the game i was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58

Its definitely worth a watch as Rapha is very good at breaking down his decision making. Although this is not meant to be a substitute for watching the video, the benefit sound has on Quake is that it decreases the amount of information that is simply unknowable to a player. Throughout the video, Rapha reiterates multiple times that his goal is to delay Cooller at powerups in order to make it so the Red Armor and Mega Health spawn at the same time. This forces Cooller into a situation where he has to weigh the merit of actions that were simply not required before. He now has to chose which powerup is more worthwhile.

In halo we consider dynamic timers to be this horrible thing when Quake is a testament to the fact they can work. It added a whole new level of control a player can exert over the map.

Quake is also a 1v1 game with entirely different mechanics. If they were static there'd be a ton of uncontested items. Static works in team games.

MCC poetry - lol. How about some Haikus? Normally a Haiku is 5-7-5 syllables (you can see how many syllables are in ambiguous words on howmanysyllables.com), but how about a 3-4-3 haiku first:

3-4-3

Promises made

Now broken

5-7-5

Our Halo won't load

Dan Ayoube has disappeared

We aren't 1th are we?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think that certain player-induced sounds are appropriate while other sounds are not. A "good" player-induced sound would be something that can be avoided if a player is aware of it or triggered intentionally for deceptive purposes. Like a puddle on the ground for example. It would create a splashing sound but a player could jump over it or go around it. For a game like CE, I don't like the footsteps or the jump sounds. It just gives too much information for free.

An obvious example of a "bad" sound in CE is clinky ramp on Damnation. It's impossible to avoid, ridiculously loud, and is the only realistic way of attacking green area. If there was an alternate route (like a jump-up in sniper room) then clinky would be fine, because you could intentionally trigger it, back down and then go the alt route.

Another example of sound adding a positive element is the quick camo dilemma. In order to quick-camo, you have to fire a shot which reveals your location to knowledgeable players. You need to make the decision whether or not to quick-camo based on the current game situation. There is not a right or wrong answer and that adds strategic value to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think that certain player-induced sounds are appropriate while other sounds are not. A "good" player-induced sound would be something that can be avoided if a player is aware of it or triggered intentionally for deceptive purposes. Like a puddle on the ground for example. It would create a splashing sound but a player could jump over it or go around it. For a game like CE, I don't like the footsteps or the jump sounds. It just gives too much information for free.

An obvious example of a "bad" sound in CE is clinky ramp on Damnation. It's impossible to avoid, ridiculously loud, and is the only realistic way of attacking green area. If there was an alternate route (like a jump-up in sniper room) then clinky would be fine, because you could intentionally trigger it, back down and then go the alt route.

Another example of sound adding a positive element is the quick camo dilemma. In order to quick-camo, you have to fire a shot which reveals your location to knowledgeable players. You need to make the decision whether or not to quick-camo based on the current game situation. There is not a right or wrong answer and that adds strategic value to the game.

I agree, in Quake players can hold down the 'Walk' key to remove the sounds that are generated by walking. Also, the railgun and lightning gun make a loud humming sound that you can avoid by leaving the Rocket Launcher out.

Standard208 [score hidden]

9 minutes ago 

Does anyone have a copy of the EULA for this game? I'm an attorney that does a lot of work with deceptive trade practices and want to review it. I don't have an Xbox One or Xbox store account, so I have been having some trouble tracking it down.

Guy said this on Reddit. Anyone?

• Upvote (+1) 1