CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I assume h1 final can't be played against normal h1 builds, but never really tried it. I'll try to reach out to Moon and Gazzo and see who is available and who can bring equipment. Not too sure why it works like this but for some reason people prefer to LAN at a house/apartment over a venue of some sort. Probably so there's more time to game into the night but it was never easy for me to get people to go to some place where I can rent a room.

I can get a room for DIRT CHEAP at a place in North NJ and we can probably play throughout the night but it seems like nobody wants to LAN.

That sounds good to me. I'd definitely be down, although I'm not very good.

Do most people have modded xboxes and H1 final, or should I be getting an actual H1 disk? 

And yeah, finding people to LAN with is the hardest part. I don't know a single person IRL who still plays halo. :/

I know nothing of hosting LANs, but I will if I can find players! how many people were able to go to the lan in nj?

Hello, there. Long time lurker, here. When folks talk about hosting LANs on here, should I assume this means CE? I'm from Philly area and would potentially be interested, but I'm a bit of a rookie at CE. Much better at H2. Thanks for the info.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hello, there. Long time lurker, here. When folks talk about hosting LANs on here, should I assume this means CE? I'm from Philly area and would potentially be interested, but I'm a bit of a rookie at CE. Much better at H2. Thanks for the info.

I was specifically talking about CE, but I love me some H2 as well. I've been playing CE a lot lately to try and get better (I'm a CE rookie too), but if people were interested in H2, I would not be opposed to play it. Maybe separately from CE though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That sounds good to me. I'd definitely be down, although I'm not very good.

Do most people have modded xboxes and H1 final, or should I be getting an actual H1 disk? 

And yeah, finding people to LAN with is the hardest part. I don't know a single person IRL who still plays halo. :/

Halo 1 final is indeed not compatible with the original version of the game. ( I have tried it, it doesnt work.) but halo 1.5 and 1.5 LAN edition is. It is always a safe bet to have 1.5 and final on your harddrive just in case.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Opinion: The fact that the CE pistol is generally thought of as being an "OP" weapon is one of the biggest misconceptions in all of gaming. Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Opinion: The fact that the CE pistol is generally thought of as being an "OP" weapon is one of the biggest misconceptions in all of gaming. Thoughts?

its only thought of as an OP weapon because 343 posted that it was on the neogaf. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was specifically talking about CE, but I love me some H2 as well. I've been playing CE a lot lately to try and get better (I'm a CE rookie too), but if people were interested in H2, I would not be opposed to play it. Maybe separately from CE though. 

It's tough because most CE players won't want to touch Halo 2. I really don't blame anyone for not wanting to play a specific game but I had always thought it would be easier to host a big LAN and invite people for H1 H2 and even H3. We'd need a good amount of equipment though and the bigger the lan, the more people that flake.

I remember an epic thread on the MLG forums about a LAN in North NJ. The dude cleared out his entire upstairs/attic area and was getting a bunch of equipment. He opened the LAN to like 24+ people and he had 24+ confirm. Even MLG guys were supposed to attend like Nexy and Killa KC. The day of the LAN the dude posts a ton of pictures of the entire set up, all the food, and not a single player attended. It was literally him, his friend, 2 full stations and 20 pizzas. This was all during a time when lanning was still popular.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's tough because most CE players won't want to touch Halo 2. I really don't blame anyone for not wanting to play a specific game but I had always thought it would be easier to host a big LAN and invite people for H1 H2 and even H3. We'd need a good amount of equipment though and the bigger the lan, the more people that flake.

I remember an epic thread on the MLG forums about a LAN in North NJ. The dude cleared out his entire upstairs/attic area and was getting a bunch of equipment. He opened the LAN to like 24+ people and he had 24+ confirm. Even MLG guys were supposed to attend like Nexy and Killa KC. The day of the LAN the dude posts a ton of pictures of the entire set up, all the food, and not a single player attended. It was literally him, his friend, 2 full stations and 20 pizzas. This was all during a time when lanning was still popular.

That makes me sad :(

LANs used to be so cool. Multiplayer didn't mean online for me until I got into Halo 3 in 2009.....before that "multiplayer" was "how many people can I play with in my house?"

Fun times. Also shitty times because we played with some of the dumbest settings. Team SMGs on Lockout were blowouts

I miss the little implicit competition between "Players In..." threads for activity.

I think the big ones were Georgia, Michigan, NJ, and Florida maybe? I don't think Utah had a big thread.

its only thought of as an OP weapon because 343 posted that it was on the neogaf. 

No, that misconception was around well before 343 was a thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I miss the little implicit competition between "Players In..." threads for activity.

I think the big ones were Georgia, Michigan, NJ, and Florida maybe? I don't think Utah had a big thread.

Those for sure and there were a couple other spots that were very active that you wouldn't exactly think of. I can't access the thread through web archive.. it's giving me an error. When I hover over the link I can get a preview like you could on the MLG forums. It was in the tone of the mastercard priceless commercials.

"Setting up a LAN, 2 days prep work. Buying food, renting tables and chairs, $380 on STEAMYs debit mastercard. Waiting till 8pm and realizing not one person on this list (Hanz, Lancer, Snuff, Fielder, Nexy, Killa KC, Courage, Profextion, iSeven, Ravage, Xis7ence, Enable, Forseti The Yeti..."

It cuts off here but it said continued to list the players until it said "x, y, z weren't going to show? Priceless."

I can try posting the link if anyone else thinks they can get it to load lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol that is my biggest fear in hosting a lan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just reading that hurts.

No, that misconception was around well before 343 was a thing.

I think it was more of "this pistol is powerful holy shit" before now since that post I swear it changed to "holy shit the pistol breaks the sandbox" 

Well it's just that - a misconception. Made by less informed players who are generally worse at the game, so when they are getting wrecked from it they claim it's OP. But we have a done a good job thus far getting rid of the misconception, even in a less knowledgeable place like Reddit, I bet if you claimed the H1 Pistol was OP there would be a handful of people correcting the claim.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just downloaded MCC for the first time....

PrTg3Kk.gif

What's the status of CE now? Easy to find games at all?

Bipolar. Sometimes takes 30 seconds, sometimes 30 minutes

Bipolar. Sometimes takes 30 seconds, sometimes 30 minutes

giphy.gif

Thanks, doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing all the bugs people were complaining about at launch are patched now, or....?

giphy.gif

Thanks, doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing all the bugs people were complaining about at launch are patched now, or....?

Mostly. H1 reg is still a bit iffy

@@Missingno i suggest posting your commentaries here instead of in the Halo 1 final thread, this one gets more views and anyone still on MCC at this point will appreciate them.

We're never gonna hear anything from them regarding this game ever again.

It's pathetic. Textbook example of a big company not giving a shit about their long-time fans.

I hope all the suckers that bought Halo 5 are enjoying themselves, because the sales figures of that game was likely all they've used to measure the damage (if any) after they mishandled the MCC.

What pisses me off the most, besides the missed opportunity of what the MCC could have been, is that after numerous updates they improved CE quite a bit and it's almost there. Then they just stopped. I mean, someone obviously researched all of this and has an idea of what needs to be done to fix it. The only thing stopping them is the money involved in publishing another patch.

• Upvote (+1) 3