CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

When you sold your 360 thinking that MCC would provide all of your Halo playing needs...

dj-khaled-you-played-yourself-congratula

DoUE1zM.jpg

Spartan Palmer changed. A LOT.

This joke is getting milked like the Halo franchise

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sometimes I wish they stopped making the mainline Halo games after Halo 3. ODST and Reach were fun spin-offs and Halo Wars, Spartan Strike/Assault are interesting ways to add more to the Halo universe while expanding into different genres. Then they could've released H1-H3 anniversary in 2017 and a proper Halo 4 somewhere down the line.

Instead we got H4, MCC and H5: three rushed attempts at making a Halo game and all of them were a disaster for not only the Halo fans, but they also irreversibly destroyed Halo's reputation for players outside the scene. The MCC honestly hurts the most, so much missed potential. I'm in the same situation I was in 2011, there is just NO WAY to play classic Halo. H1 PC, H2V, H3 on the 360 are dead, Reach's Anniversary playlist (the one 343 didn't cut) is dead, 

To be fair, H1PC is still going strong, namely through Custom Edition. The multiplayer was definitely weakened by mistakes made during porting, sure, but the game is still being improved by modders and mappers over a decade since release.

I think 343's first real mistake in managing the franchise was cutting Anniversary BTB. It was the best 360 BTB experience ever and it supported CEA's population more than it divided it. Now you can't even play Timberland in matchmaking with a CEA disc...that's a bit ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair, H1PC is still going strong, namely through Custom Edition. The multiplayer was definitely weakened by mistakes made during porting, sure, but the game is still being improved by modders and mappers over a decade since release.

I think 343's first real mistake in managing the franchise was cutting Anniversary BTB. It was the best 360 BTB experience ever and it supported CEA's population more than it divided it. Now you can't even play Timberland in matchmaking with a CEA disc...that's a bit ridiculous.

Yeah I played my fair share of H1PC, the netcode really holds it back, but the modding community is top notch.

And yeah cutting Anniversary BTB and FFA, as well as Action Sack was one of the stupidest decisions 343 has ever made

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ahh, I wish they would bring Anniversary BTB back, make it pistol start and remove armor abilities like they did for anniversary classic. If they did that, I'd play it nonstop. But they won't, because they're 343.

Yeah I played my fair share of H1PC, the netcode really holds it back, but the modding community is top notch.

And yeah cutting Anniversary BTB and FFA, as well as Action Sack was one of the stupidest decisions 343 has ever made

Would you play it if there were servers running 24/7 MLG gametypes on Xbox versions of the maps (with correct weapon/equipment placement), working weapon/equipment timers, despawning of empty guns, and a shot lead that's somewhere in between "no-lead" and insane vanilla PC lead?

Or would the remaining issues such as rubberbanding and lack of controller support still keep you from enjoying it?

Open question to everyone, by the way...

I think it's time to remove skilled/ranked based matchmaking from MCC as well as cut atleast half of the playlists.

=[

unrestricted matchmaking > slow and/or no matchmaking at all.

Remove swat, rumble pit, snipers, action sack, and HCS.

Possibly remove doubles and H2A

Almost impossible to find games at low rank or high rank.

the xbox update broke mcc again...it's why you're having issues

Would you play it if there were servers running 24/7 MLG gametypes on Xbox versions of the maps (with correct weapon/equipment placement), working weapon/equipment timers, despawning of empty guns, and a shot lead that's somewhere in between "no-lead" and insane vanilla PC lead?

Or would the remaining issues such as rubberbanding and lack of controller support still keep you from enjoying it?

Open question to everyone, by the way...

Sure, that sounds fun, but will it catch on? There are also mods that add ranks and MM to H2V, there is also Halo:Online where they added Forge and lots of custom game options, but both suffer from the same problem: No one wants to play it :(

Sure, that sounds fun, but will it catch on? There are also mods that add ranks and MM to H2V, there is also Halo:Online where they added Forge and lots of custom game options, but both suffer from the same problem: No one wants to play it :(

Well it's not meant to replace OG LAN or anything but it can't hurt to fix the PC version's flaws. I have a hard time choosing MCC over PC sometimes. I like the 2's playlist but search times are very long and I don't see them updating the game to fix any bugs, while on PC people are actively working to make things work better.

So will it catch on? I don't know, but in the near future when the equipment timer script is finalized and the h1.5 maps are released on PC, it'll be a toss-up between PC and MCC for accessible CE 2's (for me anyway).

• Upvote (+1) 1

the xbox update broke mcc again...it's why you're having issues

How is that a plausible explanation?

Did the X1 update "break" any other games?

Or is that referencing the actual hardware update from the 360 to X1?

It is plausible, the new xbox one experince broke it, extremely hard to find matches now

People are assuming it did. The better explanation is - people stopped playing and moved over to Halo 5 or other games meaning matchmaking times are slower.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

People are assuming it did. The better explanation is - people stopped playing and moved over to Halo 5 or other games meaning matchmaking times are slower.

How is that a "better" explanation?

Surely, it is a hypothesis which may hold some validity. But given this game's track record, any explanation will and should be met with doubtful skepticism. Performance needs to be measured over time to deduce a meaningful conclusion regarding performance. While I can't offer concrete statements because I traded in my X1 back in Dec '14 when one couldn't even land a melee in H2C, the game likely performs better now than it did during 30 days post-launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, people that actually still play the game realize it's more broken since the dashboard update. Not only does mm fail to connect more often (not fail to find players) but things like game sound are borked when you reload into the menu after games, causing you to have to replug in your headphones. Stuff like that started the day the update dropped. MCC is simply more affected than other games because it's codebase is obviously held together by bubblegum.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

It really is a shame that 343 completely ditched this game, and worst of all, we'll likely never hear what went wrong with it--from an official source anyways.

Worse, the game works even more poorly since the new UI update. Aside from maaybe Halo CE PC, our avenues for accessing old Halo multiplayer have essentially been kneecapped, and that's a damn shame. I really wish that 343 would take a look at what DICE has done since BF4's launch. Even though it was a disaster initially, they continually stuck with it until it was in good shape. Hell, it's STILL getting updates and new, free content even today. DICE has more than made up for the game's shortcomings at launch.

I don't know. After H4, TMCC, and H5, I'm not sure where I stand as a Halo fan, and I'm sure that goes for some of you guys here. Even if TMCC had come out flawlessly, I'm just not enthusiastic about Halo as a franchise going foreward 343 has changed pretty much everything I liked about old Halo titles, from the lore, the gameplay elements, the visual design, sound design, and the like, but brought in very little good of their own, and when they do, they still manage to muck it up (see how they completely ruined John and Cortana's relationship going from Halo 4 to 5).

Being a Halo fan is hard.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No, people that actually still play the game realize it's more broken since the dashboard update. Not only does mm fail to connect more often (not fail to find players) but things like game sound are borked when you reload into the menu after games, causing you to have to replug in your headphones. Stuff like that started the day the update dropped. MCC is simply more affected than other games because it's codebase is obviously held together by bubblegum.

I could make a trailer for this game using your comment & Jeff Steitzer's voice.

"...more broken..."

"...borked..."

"...held together by bubblegum..."

Along with this gem: https://soundcloud.com/gawker-commenter/vendetta

It really is a shame that 343 completely ditched this game, and worst of all, we'll likely never hear what went wrong with it--from an official source anyways.

Worse, the game works even more poorly since the new UI update. Aside from maaybe Halo CE PC, our avenues for accessing old Halo multiplayer have essentially been kneecapped, and that's a damn shame. I really wish that 343 would take a look at what DICE has done since BF4's launch. Even though it was a disaster initially, they continually stuck with it until it was in good shape. Hell, it's STILL getting updates and new, free content even today. DICE has more than made up for the game's shortcomings at launch.

I don't know. After H4, TMCC, and H5, I'm not sure where I stand as a Halo fan, and I'm sure that goes for some of you guys here. Even if TMCC had come out flawlessly, I'm just not enthusiastic about Halo as a franchise going foreward 343 has changed pretty much everything I liked about old Halo titles, from the lore, the gameplay elements, the visual design, sound design, and the like, but brought in very little good of their own, and when they do, they still manage to muck it up (see how they completely ruined John and Cortana's relationship going from Halo 4 to 5).

Being a Halo fan is hard.

This franchise will never recover under 343 Industries. Only way this franchise makes a comeback is if it goes back to Bungie.

This franchise will never recover under 343 Industries. Only way this franchise makes a comeback is if it goes back to Bungie.

HAH

Bungie is passionate (or was) but they cannot make a classic Halo game, either. Not to mention all the creatives on their team jumped ship when Activision took over

• Upvote (+1) 3

HAH

Bungie is passionate (or was) but they cannot make a classic Halo game, either. Not to mention all the creatives on their team jumped ship when Activision took over

Where did they jump ship to? How impossible would it be to individually hire all the creative and technically advanced devs who were part of Halo CE - Halo Reach and task them with making a new classic Halo experience? If I'm the head of Xbox, I'm wheelin' and dealin' to make this happen because a new Halo game from the people who actually know how to make a real Halo game would be huge.

Where did they jump ship to? How impossible would it be to individually hire all the creative and technically advanced devs who were part of Halo CE - Halo Reach and task them with making a new classic Halo experience? If I'm the head of Xbox, I'm wheelin' and dealin' to make this happen because a new Halo game from the people who actually know how to make a real Halo game would be huge.

Becausd nearly every creative that worked in the majority of Halo's tenure were responsible for a lot of the problems we have with Halo right now - teamshot reliance, flat maps with terrible pathing, no incentive to move, bloated sandbox. My solution?

Hire hardy lebel as your CORE multiplayer lead (assuming he wants to still work in game dev, what with being a writer). Build off of what made Halo's 1-Reach (and halo 5) great: halo 1's balance, halo 2's combos, Halo 3 and Reach's community features and custom games, and Halo 5's forge. Get chris carney, lehto, joe staten, cotton, and max hauberman to work on the community aspect AND multiplayer, but ALL decisions must go straight to Hardy in terms of the base multiplayer (slayer, CTF, KOTH, etc)

We need someone who has a firm grasp of Halo with people who brought the magic reigned in

• Upvote (+1) 4

Frankly I don't even consider myself a Halo fan anymore.

I'm a Halo 1 fan.

I suppose I could stretch it to "I'm a classic Halo fan" but tbh CE feels like it doesn't belong to the same series as H2/H3/Reach, at least in terms of multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

it's not just the matchmaking. Older issues like the menu glitching and connecting to other players are back.

it's not just the matchmaking. Older issues like the menu glitching and connecting to other players are back.

I bot time to play a few matches tonight. 

Only issue I had was the headphone jack having to be unplugged after each game.

Aside from that got games in CE 4v4 within 30seconds.

Godbless those who still play it past midnight.

• Upvote (+1) 1