CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Heard Kai was inferior to XBC. Hows the connectivity?

Kai was waaaaay better than XBC. Connection was a world better. Only reason people played xbc was because they were scrubs and couldnt get kai working. Really though, connection on kai was honestly better than many xbl matches. Definitely a step above xbc.

Kai was waaaaay better than XBC. Connection was a world better. Only reason people played xbc was because they were scrubs and couldnt get kai working. Really though, connection on kai was honestly better than many xbl matches. Definitely a step above xbc.

Mmm, but the population waa lower too, right? May have to dust off my old box and get playing.

Mmm, but the population waa lower too, right? May have to dust off my old box and get playing.

It wasn't really. Used to be like 400 people online at any time. Most were colombian scrubs, but still. Could get a lot of fun FFA's or 2v2s going real quick. I'm getting my new box in a few days, so if you want you should deffinitely add me. I really want to play the real games. 

This makes no sense, they both use Winpcap to filter through packets on your network and foward them where they need to go. I have compared them many times by switching back and forth playing them with the same people on the same hosts. There is no noticeable difference.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I really hope once the big halo 5 tournament is done with pros and everyone will move away from h5 and go back to playing customs from the original trilogy and hopefully can get some tournaments going for those games. Much more enjoyable to watch and play. Sucks the halo community never really stays true to their preferred game and just jump ship to the next bad halo iteration.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This makes no sense, they both use Winpcap to filter through packets on your network and foward them where they need to go. I have compared them many times by switching back and forth playing them with the same people on the same hosts. There is no noticeable difference.

Two programs can both be written in C++ and have drastically different performance as-well. I havn't actually measured anything, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've noticed that connection was consistently better when playing on kai versus xbc. Also, keep in mind that the packets needed to be routed through the internet, so kai servers very well could have been higher performance. 

Two programs can both be written in C++ and have drastically different performance as-well. I havn't actually measured anything, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've noticed that connection was consistently better when playing on kai versus xbc. Also, keep in mind that the packets needed to be routed through the internet, so kai servers very well could have been higher performance. 

I fail to see how playing on different hosts is a solid foundation to be informing people that Kai results in better performance. It is especially confusing when the backbone for both programs is the same piece of software (WinPcap). Your last sentence is the most confusing of all, none of the data that is necessary to play halo is sent to Kai's or XBC's servers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I fail to see how playing on different hosts is a solid foundation to be informing people that Kai results in better performance. It is especially confusing when the backbone for both programs is the same piece of software (WinPcap). Your last sentence is the most confusing of all, none of the data that is necessary to play halo is sent to Kai's or XBC's servers. 

My point was: although both programs use the same technology (WinPcap), that doesn't necessarily mean that the gameplay through those programs will be equivalent. The analogy was that two programs can be written using the same technology, but that doesn't mean that they will have similar performance capabilities. It doesn't mean that they won't be similarly performent, but it also doesn't mean that they will be.

Lastly, I'm not going to try and pretend to know the specifics of how xlink and xbc were implemented, but seriously.. Almost every time I used xbc it was slow as fuck. even when playing against the same people who I played on kai with a perfectly fine connection. The only reason I played xbc at all was because more competitive players played it. If I was setting up games with random people, xlink kai would almost always perform better. 

My point was: although both programs use the same technology (WinPcap), that doesn't necessarily mean that the gameplay through those programs will be equivalent. The analogy was that two programs can be written using the same technology, but that doesn't mean that they will have similar performance capabilities. It doesn't mean that they won't be similarly performent, but it also doesn't mean that they will be.

Lastly, I'm not going to try and pretend to know the specifics of how xlink and xbc were implemented, but seriously.. Almost every time I used xbc it was slow as fuck. even when playing against the same people who I played on kai with a perfectly fine connection. The only reason I played xbc at all was because more competitive players played it. If I was setting up games with random people, xlink kai would almost always perform better. 

Was this using halo 2?

Was this using halo 2?

Yes. I never had h1 for the original xbox. Started playing it on mcc.

I am from Philly, and when playing people close by (NYC area), there wasn't much of a difference between kai and XBC, but when playing across the country, florida / vancouver, there was a huge difference. Not sure why, but it was very clear. 

I really hope once the big halo 5 tournament is done with pros and everyone will move away from h5 and go back to playing customs from the original trilogy and hopefully can get some tournaments going for those games. Much more enjoyable to watch and play. Sucks the halo community never really stays true to their preferred game and just jump ship to the next bad halo iteration.

I can garuntee pros will be playing h3 mlg customs when they're done with h5.

Any of you boys want to play some H1?

Level 11 here and bored. The "I'm playing thread" never generates responses so here I am.

Any of you boys want to play some H1?

Level 11 here and bored. The "I'm playing thread" never generates responses so here I am.

Yes. Gimme a few minutes

Finally got a game of H2C with good connection and hit rec. Funny to me that sprint was ever argued to be necessary to have "faster" gameplay. H2C is fast AF. Also, H2C lockout has so many details that were ruined in later iterations - particularly with sight lines and angles. Details matter in a big way...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Two months and they're just adding social. Lol.

Just 343 things :weback:

But its their gift to us. Stop being a hater.

"If I have to indicate satire in my post with s/, then I have failed - MrGreenWithAGun"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Going from 150-200 fps with mouse and keyboard to 30 fps with controller is very strange.