CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

A day per bug per coder, there's some bugs that will take longer, and some that should take some hours to fix, it all depends on the code base though, I'd assume HCE's code base is the messiest.

So what do you think is the cause for the massive gaps between bug fixes and relatively few fixes per month long waits? I more or less felt the same way that you did although I wasn't 100% sure since all of the coding I do has nothing to do with game development. Which is why I'm now starting to either doubt the talent of their lead, if they have one, or perhaps the coders themselves. I guess the game could have just been in such a poor state from the start that we can't even comprehend how difficult bugs are to find and correct but we have no way of knowing that for sure without someone at 343 admitting to it. I guess it doesn't really reflect well on them either way you swing it. I was also briefly considering what it would be like if their team was much smaller than we'd assume or if they were all mostly working on ODST or some nonsense like that rather than fixing the mess that's currently live

So what do you think is the cause for the massive gaps between bug fixes and relatively few fixes per month long waits?

To be honest, no idea. Pretty much everything that's not netcode & MM should've been fixed some time ago, I'd assume that people aren't working actively on it. But the way this has gone, I have no bloody idea. Working icons and service tags shouldn't take long to do, maybe they're prioritizing the bigger issues(The desyncing in H2 campaign for example) and then will fix all the smaller issues really quickly(icons, service tags, respawn times, nade count in CE, etc) when they're fixed?

I'd assume the cert process is the same for all the other games though, because otherwise, companies would sue M$ for prioritizing their own products.

Just realised how nonexistent the Halo YouTube community is.

I'm always posting stuff, even though I never get any subscriber growth.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm a Game Programmer(only worked on The Division and it's companion application so far, will see what I'll be doing next), nothing to comment on really.

Yes, adding more people to a project is good if there can be more people added to the project, but adding just because "it's broken, add more people" is bad news.

Looking at the bug list on here, it's mostly stuff that should be able to be done under a day, the question is how many coders are working on MCC atm, my guess would be 2 gameplay for each game, 2 for the UI, around 3 network programmers and maybe a lead. Any more and it would be crowded.

It doesn't have to be game software to comment.

As a senior sw Dev I am very certain your assessment is inaccurate simply because you do not know anything about the software.

You know whats really funny? Getting Lenox on your team in CE with him having the 343i nameplate then seeing him get shit on for 6 deaths then quitting out. Apparently 343 employees are capable of ruining the game in multiple ways.

However I do have to say Bravo (god bless his soul) has been a good sport while losing and winning the 4 or 5 times we've matched against each other in various playlists and one of them was a brutal 50 to ~20 Warlord in H2A TS. His team had no hands  

He had to run to urgently fix some code. Skeleton crew remember!  :kappa:

I'm always posting stuff, even though I never get any subscriber growth.

How long have you been doing it? And don't feel bad, the beginning stages are the hardest. If you keep making videos people will subscribe. Its like the field of dreams quote.

So what do you think is the cause for the massive gaps between bug fixes and relatively few fixes per month long waits? I more or less felt the same way that you did although I wasn't 100% sure since all of the coding I do has nothing to do with game development. Which is why I'm now starting to either doubt the talent of their lead, if they have one, or perhaps the coders themselves. I guess the game could have just been in such a poor state from the start that we can't even comprehend how difficult bugs are to find and correct but we have no way of knowing that for sure without someone at 343 admitting to it. I guess it doesn't really reflect well on them either way you swing it. I was also briefly considering what it would be like if their team was much smaller than we'd assume or if they were all mostly working on ODST or some nonsense like that rather than fixing the mess that's currently live

In addition to less resources, I bet 343 put their second string on MCC, so we're dealing with a less skilled team. From a business perspective, would you rather have your most talented resources building/innovating a brand new game, or having them work on a game that's already been established?

• Upvote (+1) 4

In addition to less resources, I bet 343 put their second string on MCC, so we're dealing with a less skilled team. From a business perspective, would you rather have your most talented resources building/innovating a brand new game, or having them work on a game that's already been established?

Either way - when shit hits the fan, you dont keep letting your "B team" do the work.  You send in the A-team to fix it.  And with their inability to even do that, it proves they do not even have an A-team!

Sad sad thing to see. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Tbh I'd be horrified if I were in charge of anything that is 6 months into release and is still fucked beyond belief. I'd be worried about my brand sustaining significant damage due to more or less stealing $60 from my games core fan base. So yeah, like most companies found in this situation, I'd have probably put 100% effort into fixing it long before we reached 6 months of abject failure. At this point it doesn't even matter if they fix MCC or not. The damage has been done but the point is that we never should have gotten to this point to begin with.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How long have you been doing it? And don't feel bad, the beginning stages are the hardest. If you keep making videos people will subscribe. Its like the field of dreams quote.

A year and so I've been told, I don't make fancy videos either I just upload gameplays an that's about it so yeah 

So am I just unlucky or is there zero BR start gametypes in Rumble Pit?

Like I haven't seen BR starts in the voting options once I think I'm just going to start dashboarding every time anytime that CE isn't picked since I ain't playing AR/SMG starts or H4.

So am I just unlucky or is there zero BR start gametypes in Rumble Pit?

Like I haven't seen BR starts in the voting options once I think I'm just going to start dashboarding every time anytime that CE isn't picked since I ain't playing AR/SMG starts or H4.

Makes no difference anyway. I still get people who think its a good idea to vote AR starts on Avalanche over BR starts on Relic.

I'm a Game Programmer(only worked on The Division and it's companion application so far, will see what I'll be doing next), nothing to comment on really.

Yes, adding more people to a project is good if there can be more people added to the project, but adding just because "it's broken, add more people" is bad news.

Looking at the bug list on here, it's mostly stuff that should be able to be done under a day, the question is how many coders are working on MCC atm, my guess would be 2 gameplay for each game, 2 for the UI, around 3 network programmers and maybe a lead. Any more and it would be crowded.

Hey, that's pretty cool man! Did you do gameplay, UI, or tools work? I mainly work on Framework and Engines for my job. I went to school for Game Design as well, but ended up learning how to program and after thinking about it, I like being a well-rounded programmer rather than just game-specific so I got my degree in Simulation Programming; almost a two birds with one stone sort of deal. :) And I like my current job.

At any rate, that's why I added my disclaimer in the middle of that because I didn't know you personally and didn't try to come off as someone who knows everything. Because I don't. I will say though that it has been six months though and there still is a monstrosity of issues that the game currently includes; this game could probably use some help because something is obviously wrong. I will say though, for the collective bug list through every game including the interface, it's completely plausible to add more people (assuming there is like 5 people working tasks. 10 is very acceptable in my opinion, someone who divvies up task for my teammates every sprint). I say this because a lot of these bugs are completely unrelated to each other... (Hold that thought).

That being said, in favor of your argument though, having more people working on MCC could be detrimental if there are some serious coding issues which I can say, just by looking at the game, there are tons. It makes no sense to me how things are breaking because of another item being fixed.. I feel like there are just random dependencies in places where there don't need to be dependencies.. And it makes no sense. At any rate, that is a reason not have a lot of people working on one thing. Because of things like that.

God save me from these idiots.

jFnbqNR.jpg

Mods forgive me if I should black out the names but it seems okay to me as this is in a public discussion group for MCC.

Sorry accidently neg you. I can feel my anger burning up as I read that haha

jFnbqNR.jpg

Mods forgive me if I should black out the names but it seems okay to me as this is in a public discussion group for MCC.

Hey man I was having a chill day and I just read these shitposts and now I'm angry thank you

• Upvote (+1) 1

"10 shots spamming won't do anywhere near the correct damage"

In all seriousness, fuck people who don't know what they're even talking about off the highest bridge on Earth.

Lol beat me to my favorite line in the comments hahaha! 

jFnbqNR.jpg

I can ATTEMPT to enlighten him since I'm one of the few that is okay with bloom as a mechanic for creating a shooting skill gap as long as the game was designed around that concept. Bloom just does not work in Halo, or arena shooters, but that's not to say bloom doesn't work or work in a way that this guy is explaining.

For bloom to actually "work" in Halo and by "work" I mean, wouldn't work, it would have to be increased quite a bit and take longer to recover, thus making the actual spamming of shots go everywhere instead of deviate slightly while still being able to hit someone. This would arguably make the game worse than no bloom and again, it should be in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"10 shots spamming won't do anywhere near the correct damage"

In all seriousness, fuck people who don't know what they're even talking about off the highest bridge on Earth.

well its not that bad. If that's how it actually worked, bloom wouldn't be random and there would be a skill involved in these gun fights. So he's got that going for him

well its not that bad. If that's how it actually worked, bloom wouldn't be random and there would be a skill involved in these gun fights. So he's got that going for him

The context of that quote implies to me that he thinks that is actually how it works in Halo, when it is not.

Sadly this is not the even an exception..

People have a twisted way of thinking about videogames these days...recently I talked to someone who thought ADS-games are more skillfull than Halostyle aiming because "this is how real aming works" and "you allways hit in games with no ADS"...

Did someone respond to that last massage?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I told him later on "When someone fires too fast, the bullets don't just disappear in thin air. The game still projects a bullet somewhere. It seems like you think this isn't happening?"

Neither one of these guys has replied since, probably after realizing how fucking stupid they are.

@@Teapot I agree with you completely... if the bullet did less damage or if the bullet missed wildly instead of by a very slight amount, then it COULD work. But like you said, it would deviate from everything we know about Halo's core gameplay. Halo has crazy awesome plays because if you have the skill you can pull off awesome double and triple kills firing quickly and swinging your reticle around quickly.