CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Bungie 12/1/2004, "Please remember that our Xbox Live matchmaking system is dynamic and is controlled behind the scenes by a small file we can upload to the Xbox Live servers. Unlike an actual auto update like the one we released a few weeks ago that is downloaded and makes code changes to the game itself, playlist updates consist of a single file that exists on the actual Live server."

Perfected more than 10 years ago, I realize it may be different now with the X1 and managing more than 1 game, but each playlist update so far feels like it takes just as long as a content update with 343.

SOURCE:https://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=1808

I remember they adjusted something in their playlist because of a mistake. They took the matchmaking servers down for less than 15 minutes.

If they feign lengthy fix for radar long enough they can collect stats on how popular radar is for h1 style game play.

Real time is their best means of collection.

Let's-not-undermine-Halo-5-sales meta

Wow. People were tin foil hatting me for those remarks. I am glad it is finally sinking in- better late than never I guess.

Encountered two issues in team objective last night, both H2C.

First one, CTF ended on Multi-Flag Midship at 2 caps, possibly kill based. My friend got a melee kill and then the game ended abruptly in a victory for my team. We had 2 caps, 14 kills. No idea what the hell happened there.

Second one, well, apparently sudden death isn't really sudden.

Sadly, the Game DVR only held onto 30 seconds of this instead of the five minutes I thought it was going to.

Anyways, my friends and I managed to somehow break H2C last night. Basically, the game was set to end 1-0 in the other team’s favor, sudden death mode popped on as we had the bomb in the last few seconds of regular game time. And it never shut off. We ended up playing an additional 5-7 minutes of game with the timer stuck on :05, eventually winning.

Never encountered this issue in H2 on the OG Xbox/360 or H2V, so I have no idea what the hell went right/wrong.

-------------

Unrelated side notes

Has the MCC made anyone else hate Halo 3? Between kids voting for H3 AR starts over H2 BRs/CE and the utter fuckery that is H3's aiming on the Xbox One (seriously, either 60 FPS is fucking with me or it has to be different), I can't stand searching the TS playlist.

Also, Halo CE's pistol. What changed? It seems like there's people I can three-shot and people I simply can't. Same leading, same everything.

Not even joking, people that bought MCC in the beginning should get a free game. MCC is the single most disappointing game of my life.

I am 30 and lived through the dark days of gaming before the internet. Where you would rent or buy a game only to find out its shit. Nothing comes close to this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like I'll be that guy saying this but there's no doubt that it is probably a different process doing this for CE, H2A, H2C, H3 and H4 and that's why they don't do them often.

So you'd have, like, 5 config files instead of 1 under Bungie's scheme.  Take an hour instead of 10 mins.

Still sounds like they overcomplicated the shit out of playlist updating.

Perhaps that's why the post-game carnage report is still AFU after 6 months . . .

Encountered two issues in team objective last night, both H2C.

First one, CTF ended on Multi-Flag Midship at 2 caps, possibly kill based. My friend got a melee kill and then the game ended abruptly in a victory for my team. We had 2 caps, 14 kills. No idea what the hell happened there.

// Video

Sadly, the Game DVR only held onto 30 seconds of this instead of the five minutes I thought it was going to.

Anyways, my friends and I managed to somehow break H2C last night. Basically, the game was set to end 1-0 in the other team’s favor, sudden death mode popped on as we had the bomb in the last few seconds of regular game time. And it never shut off. We ended up playing an additional 5-7 minutes of game with the timer stuck on :05, eventually winning.

Never encountered this issue in H2 on the OG Xbox/360 or H2V, so I have no idea what the hell went right/wrong.

-------------

Unrelated side notes

Has the MCC made anyone else hate Halo 3? Between kids voting for H3 AR starts over H2 BRs/CE and the utter fuckery that is H3's aiming on the Xbox One (seriously, either 60 FPS is fucking with me or it has to be different), I can't stand searching the TS playlist.

Also, Halo CE's pistol. What changed? It seems like there's people I can three-shot and people I simply can't. Same leading, same everything.

The host quit the game.

This has been happening since the game came out but only happens in H2C Neutral Bomb though. It simply won't end. Multi Bomb works just fine though.

Edit: Scratch that, I had it end one time on Sanc Neutral Bomb.. But it was after a stalemate for like 5 minutes and we were up 1-0 and the bomb was played.

I feel like I'll be that guy saying this but there's no doubt that it is probably a different process doing this for CE, H2A, H2C, H3 and H4 and that's why they don't do them often.

I doubt it. 343 has shown that they can change the playlists on short notice (like the day 1 playlist changes) which implies that they aren't making server side code changes. Config files have been around for almost as long as client server models, and I highly doubt they saw any real reason to not use a proven technique. Multiple games is no reason to not use a config file.

To pick up changes to a config file, they generally need to restart the matchmaking services. It's more likely that they are trying to minimize the number of times they need to restart the service (which from an operations point of view is a dangerous task).

Also, changing the playlists to make "small" fixes like turning of radar in CE playlist probably isn't very high on their priority list. Or they have next to no man power dedicated to this MCC, so it's just a small team running around in circles on fire.

It should have been obvious by now that radar was explicitly - not inadvertently - included. Come on now. 343 hired people who hate Halo the way it was. Clearly it was going to be changed for H1 as radar is a HUGE crutch for people.

It's a different "community" that runs Halo now. Not the same one that was there when Halo first came on the scene. It's a pussified community and culture interested in feel-good moments despite many of them undeserving. A huge chunk of the quits aren't happening because of some server side bullshit. It's happening because people don't like getting shit on in games that start out 4-9 or even 1-1. Bolt at the first challenge, protect that precious K/D. Zero sense of accountability.

Just take a look at Vetoed's sig of those bros slapping hands. Exactly how does that add value to how the game operates? But the 8-10 year olds who they're marketing this shit eat it up. They love the medals. They love the flash. Hand it on a silver platter. This game is fuckin rated M for crying out loud - just cut the bullshit and call it a child's game now, because it's bastardized already. Why is Halo even tweeting out child-focused content posts? Fuck these pampered and entitled kids.

Getting shit on? Deal with it. Figure out why you got shit on. Jesus Christ.

*smacks tinfoil hat off your head*

Honestly, it just sounds like the type of mistake a REALLY busy guy would make while mucking around with a config file that he didn't have time to thoroughly test.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" - Robert Hanlon

Why does swat get to stay but team snipers does not?  :bravo:

Frankie's favorite gametype  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Never encountered this issue in H2 on the OG Xbox/360 or H2V, so I have no idea what the hell went right/wrong

This has always been in H2. As long as someone is contesting the objective, the game will not end.

I remember many games where one team would super jump with the objective and just continue playing the game until the other team quit. Turf 1-flag was the most notorious for this.

This has always been in H2. As long as someone is contesting the objective, the game will not end.

I remember many games where one team would super jump with the objective and just continue playing the game until the other team quit. Turf 1-flag was the most notorious for this.

1 flag burial mounds was the biggest annoyance for me. Bomb I can deal with because you spawn with the bomb right by the super bounce spot. Flag however means you got into their base and successfully brought it back to yours and could have captured it, but chose to super bounce and force the other team to quit.

Contesting the bomb/flag, sure. I'll admit I've done my fair share of holding the flag on top of maps (Headlong, Lockout, and as you said Turf are notorious for this crap lol) until people quit in my day to know that games won't end when it's being contested. This is a different issue though. Neutral Bomb will simply NOT end for a long time regardless if it's played or not. It randomly decides to finish when it wants to.

Edit, and just to re-iterate:

Multi-Bomb works just fine as far as contesting/ending. It's Neutral Bomb that has the issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow. People were tin foil hatting me for those remarks. I am glad it is finally sinking in- better late than never I guess.

I'd like to think it's calculated rather than the result of ultimate incompetence. Either way, it's horrible.

We scored three times in Sudden Death mode, shouldn't the game have ended in a 1-1 tie then? The bomb reset multiple times.

Contesting the bomb/flag, sure. I'll admit I've done my fair share of holding the flag on top of maps (Headlong, Lockout, and as you said Turf are notorious for this crap lol) until people quit in my day to know that games won't end when it's being contested. This is a different issue though. Neutral Bomb will simply NOT end for a long time regardless if it's played or not. It randomly decides to finish when it wants to.

I can't comment on this too much, as I've never experienced this, it's always been someone contesting the objective. I do know even after the objective has been played, it can still be contested.

Edit: I was thinking about this, and it is possible on Sanc for the Bomb to reset due to time (I don't remember if it can be thrown off). If both teams stop contesting, the reset timer will start ticking down until it's contested again - at which point the game timer goes back to 0:05. That can keep happening until it was played, and if someone was in ring two or bonfires, it would be contested. Not saying that happened in your game, just and observation that it is possible.

We scored three times in Sudden Death mode, shouldn't the game have ended in a 1-1 tie then? The bomb reset multiple times.

Scoring doesn't have an effect on contesting. If your team scores and someone is within range to contest, the game continues. Admittedly, the circumference at which the objective can be contested is huge, especially for Midship and Warlock.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Next level meta

indeed

A huge chunk of the quits aren't happening because of some server side bullshit. It's happening because people don't like getting shit on in games that start out 4-9 or even 1-1. Bolt at the first challenge, protect that precious K/D. Zero sense of accountability. 

Yup. I see ppl complaining on here a lot about people quitting and blaming 343 for it when it's just other players being scared straight of competition. It's disgusting how soft gamers have become today.

Yup. I see ppl complaining on here a lot about people quitting and blaming 343 for it when it's just other players being scared straight of competition. It's disgusting how soft gamers have become today.

I strictly blame scrubs for this. The only thing I blame 343 for is enabling them to do so without repercussion in-game. I'm tempted to say 90% (more than likely more) of the people who quit out of these games could give two shits about their Xbox Live Rep. I'm not even 100% certain it's even working to be honest.

The only playlist I can consistently get games in where people don't quit even if they're getting stomped is Team Hardcore.

I strictly blame scrubs for this. The only thing I blame 343 for is enabling them to do so without repercussion in-game. I'm tempted to say 90% (more than likely more) of the people who quit out of these games could give two shits about their Xbox Live Rep. I'm not even 100% certain it's even working to be honest.

The only playlist I can consistently get games in where people don't quit even if they're getting stomped is Team Hardcore.

The idea is that those with low rep match up with others of low rep.

I doubt this even works in games with high populations. I'd bet all the money in the world it has no baring whatsoever on a game with a population as small as MCC's. Crazy how the amateurs don't even realize that over at 343.

The idea is that those with low rep match up with others of low rep.

I doubt this even works in games with high populations. I'd bet all the money in the world it has no baring whatsoever on a game with a population as small as MCC's. Crazy how the amateurs don't even realize that over at 343.

Yeah I get the idea, I'm just saying I literally don't think it works -- Not 100% certain of course. I've gotten to the point where I have pretty much memorized every single person I've played for the most part because I constantly play the same people in every playlist besides SWAT. I've played people that have quit out on me at least 7 times and I would intentionally check their profile to see their rep and it's still green.

However, on top of that what you said may also be true.. How this even work in a game not even pushing 10K anymore? Would they simply not match anyone at all?? (Assuming this actually works).

ranks dont make much sense in a multi-halo playlist

you might skillwise be 50 in H2, but only maybe 40 in H3, 20 in CE and so on

as soon as you are in the 40 region your rank rise or rank fall will depend on the halo game that wins

most people back out when a halo wins in which they are the weakest

so why keep ranks in slayer, doesnt make much sense

trueskill also does the trick in that playlist

I agree with this but i just find it odd they put them in and are already taking them out. Why put them in TS in the first place?