CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Normally we just wait to see if the other team split their votes at all. Then snipe the option we like best by all voting with a second left.

We do this too, but the other teams were not splitting their votes.....all H3.  The best thing you can see in TS if you're going to play H1, is one vote for H3 and one vote for H2 immediately.

Again, look above ^ I'm not making any claims about the ridiculous spread or the BR in specific. I just like the aiming skill gap in Halo 3 the most. Even close range battles will show how often people miss entire bursts because changing directions with aim acceleration fucks with the aimer.

Why do you think H3 aiming is the best? You've mentioned/implied twice now that aim acceleration is has a negative impact on the game - which I would think moving your riticle around would be paramount to aiming/gunplay. I'm just not sure you can make that claim given your previous statements.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand your POV better.

Again, look above ^ I'm not making any claims about the ridiculous spread or the BR in specific. I just like the aiming skill gap in Halo 3 the most. Even close range battles will show how often people miss entire bursts because changing directions with aim acceleration fucks with the aimer.

That's still incoherency, not skill. Rubbery aim is a detriment to aiming ability, not a bolster to those who are better.

I would say getting used to the aiming in halo 3 definitely requires skill and practice. The problem is it doesn't feel good to aim and is very frustrating. It doesn't encourage you to get better, it encourages you to snap the disc in half.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would definitely say that sniping in H3 is waaaaaay harder than sniping in any other Halo game (haven't played enough OG on LAN, maybe that's harder?)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are there any statistics to which playlists are getting the most gameplay?  I am really interested to see what people are playing.  I wish it would have a population count in the lobby. 

Also, whatever bungie did weird with the h3 aiming IMHO has nothing to do with skill at all. It's almost like arguing that the H1 anti-aim that was in MCC for a while there was good for the meta. You can break tons of things to technically make the game "harder", but I really don't see it as a good thing.

That's still incoherency, not skill. Rubbery aim is a detriment to aiming ability, not a bolster to those who are better.

Why do you think H3 aiming is the best? You've mentioned/implied twice now that aim acceleration is has a negative impact on the game - which I would think moving your riticle around would be paramount to aiming/gunplay. I'm just not sure you can make that claim given your previous statements.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand your POV better.

It's kinda difficult to explain, like a love/hate relationship.  I don't think it has a negative impact on the game.  I was on the same boat as everyone else when Halo 3 first launched when people were very vocal about their dislike of grid aiming.  I joke about disliking it now in the same way someone might dislike manual cars with a really sensitive clutch.  Pain in the ass at first, but gives you a lot more control. 

In retrospect, what I can tell you is that adjusting to Halo 3 aiming is difficult and takes time. When I play any other game except Halo 3, I get bad at Halo 3 lol.  My friends used to joke that you were either good at video games, or Halo 3, because the way your cursor moves is so wonky compared to any other FPS.  It's not a detriment to aiming because you can master it, it's not like bloom where no matter how good you are you have no control over where the bullets go.  You can fully control where you look and how you move.  It just takes time to adjust and master, when MCC launched I played a good deal of H2A before I realized how piss poor the engine was, and when I finally started playing some OG Halo 3 again (I use the 360 version because I have a lot of maps to play on) my spartan looked like a drunk fool who couldn't look straight.  It was either overshooting the opponent by a mile or being too afraid to move the aimer to my enemy's head because I didn't want to miss and lose the battle.  Granted all those years of H3 are still engrained in me and after a day or so of playing Im back where I used to be. It's not a detriment to skill anymore than not having auto aim is, it just further separates those who learn to use.  I really feel like being a good shoot in Halo 3 just bolsters your gun skill in every game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any chance we get some sort of an update on how 343 is addressing the current issues and what the timeline for a fix might be?

Any chance we get some sort of an update on how 343 is addressing the current issues and what the timeline for a fix might be?

Soon.

• Upvote (+1) 2

can someone give a brief explanation as to what grid aiming is? I thought h3 felt horrid from day 1 but I never really saw any discussion around it back then. It always felt laggy to me coming from h1.

can someone give a brief explanation as to what grid aiming is? I thought h3 felt horrid from day 1 but I never really saw any discussion around it back then. It always felt laggy to me coming from h1.

Imagine a bunch of circles on your screen inside of one another that progressively get smaller until it's just the reticule in the middle of the screen.  Most Halo's use something like that for aiming mechanics (forgot the technical term for it).  Grid aiming is what it sounds like.  Imagine a grid over your screen, there you go lol.  Ever noticed how hard it is to draw circles with your cursor in H3, its as if your aimer wants to draw a square instead.  Grid aiming makes it stick to flat lateral movements as opposed to anything diagonal.  On paper it sounds kinda noobified, like it would help bad players.  But in practice it's more of the opposite.  Crazy aim acceleration with minimal auto aim makes sweeping leagues harder than H2, and for every time you're not on perfectly level ground as another player matching their movements with your reticule is very hard, which is why strafing on a ramp is so effective in H3. 

I don't get why people on this forum treat Halo 3 as such a sin of a game.

While I will agree the default settings are pretty bad, the mlg settings are one of the few great versions of halo there is.

The BR being difficult to use is basically why H3 was so successful. It made team shooting necessary in most situations. Basically H2A's polar oppositedan

• Upvote (+1) 1

"While I will agree the default settings are pretty bad...."

"....It made team shooting necessary in most situations. "

You're not helping.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we divert the hot steam shits from Halo 3 and reroute them back to 343?

Hello? The patch? That broke the game?

Can we divert the hot steam shits from Halo 3 and reroute them back to 343?

Hello? The patch? That broke the game?

What did it do? Because I've seen everyone complaining about it, and they canceled the tourney, but I haven't been experienceing any new problems. Am I just lucky?

i can't stand running solo or in a party of 2 it is nothing but party's of 4 can we please get this fixed, or do i have to wait until the end of may.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ahahhahahahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i can't stand running solo or in a party of 2 it is nothing but party's of 4 can we please get this fixed, or do i have to wait until the end of may.

Probably the most annoying thing about MCC. You can't have ranks then match parties vs. Ransoms. Very stupid.

Probably the most annoying thing about MCC. You can't have ranks then match parties vs. Ransoms. Very stupid.

the thing i don't understand is why i can search 4s and get another squad of 4 every time, why isn't it the same for party's of 2 why can't they just match me with a po2 than 2 randoms.  I know nothing about programming,coding,networking but i would think this is a easy task to handle.

the thing i don't understand is why i can search 4s and get another squad of 4 every time, why isn't it the same for party's of 2 why can't they just match me with a po2 than 2 randoms.  I know nothing about programming,coding,networking but i would think this is a easy task to handle.

It's not a matter of if they can do it, it's if they should. What you're talking about will increase searching times in a game where searching times are already long.

Woah dude chill lol I never said it was a better game, I agree with you that Halo 3 is much more shallow. I don't even know what I believe to be honest. I just think the gunplay in Halo 3 is more difficult (outside of button combos). That's all I'm saying. Wouldn't you agree that if Halo 2 had Halo 3 levels of auto aim/bullet mag/projectile it would be a more difficult game? If so then we're on the same page. That's the only claim I'm making.

Um.. Anything that fucks with the aim of the player aside from fancy movement from another opposing play is just dumb. 

• Aim Acceleration 
  • Spread
  • Random Bloom
  • Poor networking

Which is why support hitscan, fast movement, less artificial aiming. 

Um.. Anything that fucks with the aim of the player aside from fancy movement from another opposing play is just dumb. 

• Aim Acceleration 
  • Spread
  • Random Bloom
  • Poor networking

Which is why support hitscan, fast movement, less artificial aiming. 

Dude.  You have no control over spread, random bloom, or poor networking.  You have complete control over your aimer and where it moves.  There's nothing wrong with having difficult aiming, its no different than the way we all can agree that aiming in H2A is too easy.  It's not 'articial aiming' its just more difficult. How is it dumb, explain your reasoning behind that.  It creates a huge skill gap between people who can master it and those who can't.

It's kinda difficult to explain, like a love/hate relationship.  I don't think it has a negative impact on the game.  I was on the same boat as everyone else when Halo 3 first launched when people were very vocal about their dislike of grid aiming.  I joke about disliking it now in the same way someone might dislike manual cars with a really sensitive clutch.  Pain in the ass at first, but gives you a lot more control. 

In retrospect, what I can tell you is that adjusting to Halo 3 aiming is difficult and takes time. When I play any other game except Halo 3, I get bad at Halo 3 lol.  My friends used to joke that you were either good at video games, or Halo 3, because the way your cursor moves is so wonky compared to any other FPS.  It's not a detriment to aiming because you can master it, it's not like bloom where no matter how good you are you have no control over where the bullets go.  You can fully control where you look and how you move.  It just takes time to adjust and master, when MCC launched I played a good deal of H2A before I realized how piss poor the engine was, and when I finally started playing some OG Halo 3 again (I use the 360 version because I have a lot of maps to play on) my spartan looked like a drunk fool who couldn't look straight.  It was either overshooting the opponent by a mile or being too afraid to move the aimer to my enemy's head because I didn't want to miss and lose the battle.  Granted all those years of H3 are still engrained in me and after a day or so of playing Im back where I used to be. It's not a detriment to skill anymore than not having auto aim is, it just further separates those who learn to use.  I really feel like being a good shoot in Halo 3 just bolsters your gun skill in every game.

They're not going to put party restrictions on, for the same reason why level 1s match level 50s. They want quicker matches instead of good matches.

Dude.  You have no control over spread, random bloom, or poor networking.  You have complete control over your aimer and where it moves.  There's nothing wrong with having difficult aiming, its no different than the way we all can agree that aiming in H2A is too easy.  It's not 'articial aiming' its just more difficult. How is it dumb, explain your reasoning behind that.  It creates a huge skill gap between people who can master it and those who can't.

What I mean't by artificial aim is aim-assist and bullet-magnetism. Obviously H2A had too much of it because it was just a H4 mod.

Aiming should make sense. While I do think projectile does take more skill, the internet is not good enough yet and hitscan looks better for viewer when they watch tourneys on streams. 

• Upvote (+1) 1