CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Can anyone confirm if the quit penalties are indeed not working? Is getting a 50 really easy? I'm still in the process of moving so I haven't played.

Yes, some people experience no quit penalties whatsoever. I know multiple people close to 50 by just quitting games they are going to lose. I think they do this to exploit 343s bullshit rather than personal gain soooo.. Some people are saying you only experience quit penalties on dedis, but I've never experienced any.

Keys that post was surprisingly the polar opposite of the kind of stuff I'm used to seeing from you lol. Little late, but welcome to the club.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Keys that post was surprisingly the polar opposite of the kind of stuff I'm used to seeing from you lol. Little late, but welcome to the club.

I apologize my man sometimes I like to role play as a 343 apologetic and it results in -70 rep posts. I just have to put myself in that mindset sometimes to try and understand it. I had to immerse myself real quick. Had to lighten up the place with a troll. Yall destroyed my shit so quick. No more

• Upvote (+1) 2

I love the downvotes on my post about Halo 3 having a high skill ceiling for pure gun play. What are we on r/halo? I didn't know downvoting was a disagree button.

Does anyone here actually believe that in terms of raw gunplay (aiming/shooting) Halo 3 does not have the highest skill ceiling?  It's got the wonky aim acceleration next to projectile everything.  Poor netcode and BR spread has nothing to do with this question so don't bring it up.  I'm well aware of the issues with Halo 3 but at the very core of an FPS if the shooting isn't skillful the game isn't gonna work (ex. H2A).  I've brought this up before in another thread, but it always irks me how low H3 is talked about here lol it's crazy.  H3 next to H2; H2 has got an accurate BR and Double Shotting but put that next to insane auto aim, bullet mag that makes strafing irrelevant and 4sk a walk in the park, hitscan, and pretty easy aiming, I've never felt that Halo 2 had a higher skill ceiling than H3.  Even the slippery strafe in H3 has a bigger impact on the game because 1. low auto aim, 2. almost non existent bullet mag., and 3. projectile.

Someone else mentioned that the nature of Halo 2 aiming made it difficult to really have individual stand out players.  There weren't pros known for how good their BR was, or how good of a sniper they were in H2 because everyone was good with a BR and everyone was good with a sniper.  It wasn't until H3 that the nature of aiming and the guns themselves changed and you have stand out players; snipedown, pistola, roy, sK.  This enabled a lot of big plays, and don't ya'll always talk about wanting to be individually powerful?  Being powerful doesn't just mean a fast kill time, but rather fast in relation to the average.  H2 might've had a fast perfect kill but how far was the perfect kill from a not perfect kill.  Whatever the number is, I'm sure it grew even further apart in H3.  Whatever, I'm ranting. Sorry.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Does anyone here actually believe that in terms of raw gunplay (aiming/shooting) Halo 3 does not have the highest skill ceiling?

Try OG h1

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is trading assanations in halo 3 common?

I've played halo 3 like 20 times so I have no idea

It's a connection thing. Happens nearly every game in Australia.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love the downvotes on my post about Halo 3 having a high skill ceiling for pure gun play. What are we on r/halo? I didn't know downvoting was a disagree button.

Does anyone here actually believe that in terms of raw gunplay (aiming/shooting) Halo 3 does not have the highest skill ceiling?  It's got the wonky aim acceleration next to projectile everything.  Poor netcode and BR spread has nothing to do with this question so don't bring it up.  I'm well aware of the issues with Halo 3 but at the very core of an FPS if the shooting isn't skillful the game isn't gonna work (ex. H2A).  I've brought this up before in another thread, but it always irks me how low H3 is talked about here lol it's crazy.  H3 next to H2; H2 has got an accurate BR and Double Shotting but put that next to insane auto aim, bullet mag that makes strafing irrelevant and 4sk a walk in the park, hitscan, and pretty easy aiming, I've never felt that Halo 2 had a higher skill ceiling than H3.  Even the slippery strafe in H3 has a bigger impact on the game because 1. low auto aim, 2. almost non existent bullet mag., and 3. projectile.

Someone else mentioned that the nature of Halo 2 aiming made it difficult to really have individual stand out players.  There weren't pros known for how good their BR was, or how good of a sniper they were in H2 because everyone was good with a BR and everyone was good with a sniper.  It wasn't until H3 that the nature of aiming and the guns themselves changed and you have stand out players; snipedown, pistola, roy, sK.  This enabled a lot of big plays, and don't ya'll always talk about wanting to be individually powerful?  Being powerful doesn't just mean a fast kill time, but rather fast in relation to the average.  H2 might've had a fast perfect kill but how far was the perfect kill from a not perfect kill.  Whatever the number is, I'm sure it grew even further apart in H3.  Whatever, I'm ranting.

well said!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone here actually believe that in terms of raw gunplay (aiming/shooting) Halo 3 does not have the highest skill ceiling?  

I agree, only the H1 pistol has a higher skill gap if not a comparable one. I'm surprised again and again by how SpartenJon1117 is able to perfectly 4 shot kill me everytime in Halo 2  (regardless of me strafing and him running in a straight line) and it always crosses my mind how such a thing just wouldn't be possible in a H3 BR fight or H1 pistol fight even if I am a shot down. in H2, H2A and H4, it seems that no matter who the opponent, if they get first shot I have to get the hell away because I can't trust on just being better than them since the weapons have such individually empowering crutch mechanics (huge auto-aim and magnetism, hitscan etc.) 

(This isn't taking into account the connectivity issues though, which are so bad in H3)

People honestly didn't really even strafe in H3 99% of the time you kinda maybe hit a super basic left/right then jumped just before/during the 4th shot. Sometimes you could get someone with some hilarious little shimmy but that only worked because, well, nobody really had a strafe since the game didn't allow for one to exist and it could just be unexpected/awkward. There was nothing hard about shooting in H3. Its just awkward and you have to adjust to the weird FoV among other things. OG CE is 110% harder just because bullet mag doesn't really exist the way it does in online Halos.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do you mean from voting SMG?  Please relay my message to your friend...."boys will be boys."  

If it was because I voted SMG, I can tell you exactly what happened...I assure you it's not because I like SMG start, it's because my party did not like H3.  You see, 343 put ranks in Team Slayer, which is a multi game playlist.  Then they put H1 LAST in the order.  Meaning H1 has the worst chance of being voted.  Normally I would just play the H1 playlist, if I played MCC at all.  Well today my team of 4 went in to see these new ranks, HOW FUN!  All 4 of us decided, after playing H3 more than H1 or H2 - that was it, we were done.  SMG or not, if we couldn't win an H1 vote, we were going all H2.  Turns out SMG start is still the stupidest thing that's ever happened in any game and after we got some BR's and swords and other dumb H2 things - well, things just got a little 2 E Z.  This is how things work when there is a vote, H1 is last of the three, and there are maps like Standoff.  I don't mind playing H3 here and there but after 6 or 7 AR start H3 games in Last Resort and Standoff, enough was enough.  BR start or not.  

SMG start or Halo 3. What had Halo matchmaking come to. I thought after all these years we'd be past this shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is what 343 should do. As of right, "Team Slayer" is AR/SMG starts, and "Team BR" is BR starts, change it to this

"Team Slayer" = BR starts

"Team SMG" = SMG starts

"Team AR" = AR starts

I feel that most vote for "Team Slayer" not thinking of what weapon they're starting with. I guarantee you that BR starts will be insanely popular after this.

• Upvote (+1) 5

-snip-

Strafing was irrelevant in halo 2?

Halo 2 didn't allow individual play?

People weren't known for their br/snipe in h2?

I'm sorry dude but you are so wrong

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol at keys

And I thought Batchford was schizophrenic at times.

Sounds like they tapped into the Apple fanbase.

Well I felt weird reading this on an iPhone.

Good post, Keys. But starting it off with "343 is so fucking dumb and clueless" isn't the greatest idea. :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone here actually believe that in terms of raw gunplay (aiming/shooting) Halo 3 does not have the highest skill ceiling?  It's got the wonky aim acceleration next to projectile everything.  Poor netcode and BR spread has nothing to do with this question so don't bring it up. 

Uh...all those things matter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Uh...all those things matter.

In the big picture of the game yes. They have nothing to do with the aiming itself though. Imagine for a second halo 1 had Xbox live support, and you told someone "aiming in Halo 1 was difficult because there's minimal auto aim and bullet mag" and they replied with "no because the netcode sucks." I know it sucks but that's not a trait of the gunplay. I'm only saying the aiming/shot leading was difficult on it's own because it was. You don't think if halo ce had ridiculous grid aiming and the Halo 3 Snipe it would be a harder game?

Strafing was irrelevant in halo 2?

Halo 2 didn't allow individual play?

People weren't known for their br/snipe in h2?

I'm sorry dude but you are so wrong

Everything I'm saying is comparative. I remember being stoked to watch Halo 2 events live when I was younger, especially on TV. The only name I can remember standing out the way players did in H3 was Walshy. I'm not saying you can't ever make big plays and maybe I was a bit too critical on the strafe, but everything I'm saying is relative (again) to H3. I say that in the same way someone might say that you're not as capable of being individually empowered in H2 as you are in H1. Or as capable in H4 as H2. Not trying to sound completely dismissive and ignorant here lol.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

In the big picture of the game yes. They have nothing to do with the aiming itself though. Imagine for a second halo 1 had Xbox live support, and you told someone "aiming in Halo 1 was difficult because there's minimal auto aim and bullet mag" and they replied with "no because the netcode sucks." I know it sucks but that's not a trait of the gunplay. I'm only saying the aiming/shot leading was difficult on it's own because it was. You don't think if halo ce had ridiculous grid aiming and the Halo 3 Snipe it would be a harder game?

Except Halo 3 still sucks on LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know it sucks but that's not a trait of the gunplay.

But the spread is.

Except Halo 3 still sucks on LAN.

Sadly this is true lol. Isn't that still a product of poor netcode though. I'm not sure of the technical reason behind getting bloodshots on LAN.

But the spread is.

I don't consider it to be. Using the BR in it's "intended" range (let's say top snipe on the Pit, to the nearby stairwell to training is a pretty optimal distance where spread doesn't really have an effect and there's still prevalent shot lead despite being a close distance. The same duel in any other engine would be much easier.

Does anyone here actually believe that in terms of raw gunplay (aiming/shooting) Halo 3 does not have the highest skill ceiling? It's got the wonky aim acceleration next to projectile everything. Poor netcode and BR spread has nothing to do with this question so don't bring it up. I'm well aware of the issues with Halo 3 but at the very core of an FPS if the shooting isn't skillful the game isn't gonna work (ex. H2A). I've brought this up before in another thread, but it always irks me how low H3 is talked about here lol it's crazy. H3 next to H2; H2 has got an accurate BR and Double Shotting but put that next to insane auto aim, bullet mag that makes strafing irrelevant and 4sk a walk in the park, hitscan, and pretty easy aiming, I've never felt that Halo 2 had a higher skill ceiling than H3. Even the slippery strafe in H3 has a bigger impact on the game because 1. low auto aim, 2. almost non existent bullet mag., and 3. projectile.

Someone else mentioned that the nature of Halo 2 aiming made it difficult to really have individual stand out players. There weren't pros known for how good their BR was, or how good of a sniper they were in H2 because everyone was good with a BR and everyone was good with a sniper. It wasn't until H3 that the nature of aiming and the guns themselves changed and you have stand out players; snipedown, pistola, roy, sK. This enabled a lot of big plays, and don't ya'll always talk about wanting to be individually powerful? Being powerful doesn't just mean a fast kill time, but rather fast in relation to the average. H2 might've had a fast perfect kill but how far was the perfect kill from a not perfect kill. Whatever the number is, I'm sure it grew even further apart in H3. Whatever, I'm ranting. Sorry.

Wow, I've never disagreed with a post before so hard in my life.

Well duh the aiming skillgap of halo 3 is higher than h2 because bungie raped the game with bullet magnetism. That's it though. H2c has deeper mechanics in every other aspect versus h3. Also, with the h3 random BR spread, you would literally be an idiot to put yourself in a situation where you aren't teamshotting. Teamshot is important in h2, but not nearly to the same degree as h3.

Sorry for my counter-rant, but I just can't comprehend how people can think the marginally harder shooting in h3 makes up for the fact that there is next to no depth to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sadly this is true lol. Isn't that still a product of poor netcode though. I'm not sure of the technical reason behind getting bloodshots on LAN.

The Halo 3 BR has less aim assist, certainly, I just don't see that it's useful to make that distinction when the transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3 is a matter of going from "too easy" to "utterly incoherent".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow, I've never disagreed with a post before so hard in my life.

Well duh the aiming skillgap of halo 3 is higher than h2 because bungie raped the game with bullet magnetism. That's it though. H2c has deeper mechanics in every other aspect versus h3. Also, with the h3 random BR spread, you would literally be an idiot to put yourself in a situation where you aren't teamshotting. Teamshot is important in h2, but not nearly to the same degree as h3.

Sorry for my counter-rant, but I just can't comprehend how people can think the marginally harder shooting in h3 makes up for the fact that there is next to no depth to the game.

Woah dude chill lol I never said it was a better game, I agree with you that Halo 3 is much more shallow. I don't even know what I believe to be honest. I just think the gunplay in Halo 3 is more difficult (outside of button combos). That's all I'm saying. Wouldn't you agree that if Halo 2 had Halo 3 levels of auto aim/bullet mag/projectile it would be a more difficult game? If so then we're on the same page. That's the only claim I'm making.

The Halo 3 BR has less aim assist, certainly, I just don't see that it's useful to make that distinction when the transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3 is a matter of going from "too easy" to "utterly incoherent".

Again, look above ^ I'm not making any claims about the ridiculous spread or the BR in specific. I just like the aiming skill gap in Halo 3 the most. Even close range battles will show how often people miss entire bursts because changing directions with aim acceleration fucks with the aimer.

Woah dude chill lol I never said it was a better game, I agree with you that Halo 3 is much more shallow. I don't even know what I believe to be honest. I just think the gunplay in Halo 3 is more difficult (outside of button combos). That's all I'm saying. Wouldn't you agree that if Halo 2 had Halo 3 levels of auto aim/bullet mag/projectile it would be a more difficult game? If so then we're on the same page. That's the only claim I'm making.

Again, look above ^ I'm not making any claims about the ridiculous spread or the BE in specific. I just like the aiming skill gap in Halo 3 the most. Even close range battles will show how often people miss entire bursts because changing directions with aim acceleration fucks with the aimer.

Absolutely. In fact, I would sacrifice my left nut to the gods of halo for those changes to be made to the h2 BR. However, even as it currently stands I strongly believe that H2 as a whole is more directly influenced by skill than h3. Those changes would just make that influence even stronger.

Also, whatever bungie did weird with the h3 aiming IMHO has nothing to do with skill at all. It's almost like arguing that the H1 anti-aim that was in MCC for a while there was good for the meta. You can break tons of things to technically make the game "harder", but I really don't see it as a good thing.