CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

your friend is like an over exaggerated version of me.  I don't play games as much as I use to because they really tick me off for some reason.

It's a pretty lousy circle to be in.  I get angry because I don't play well because I don't play often because I get angry....

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Streamed some CE for a bit today hoping people could tell me things I was doing wrong, it was going alright until I forgot to mute it and had to hear my voice played back to me  :wutface:

Never again, it was awful

@@Rocker, when my son introduced me to halo 3 it took me about a year before I would not shoot my teammates intentionally. It wasn't that I wanted to betray them. It was an identity crisis. I would be on blue team one game and would be shooting at anything red. Then the next match we would be on red team and I just continued thinking I was suppose to shoot anything red.

No joke. My son would yell at me.

It took me a long time to notice the friend and foe labels on the screen. Now it comes second nature but I look back and wonder why it was so hard for me to see them when I was in an intense situation.

Now days all I ever have to apologize to my team for is being a lousy shot.

Streamed some CE for a bit today hoping people could tell me things I was doing wrong, it was going alright until I forgot to mute it and had to hear my voice played back to me :wutface:

I made a video for 343 on how to improve forge. It was like a half our long but took me months to make because of my voice.

A friend of mine works as a sound tech for a TV station and told me no one likes to hear their voice played back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I also bought Halo 1 at launch and I still can't tell the difference between Red/Blue on BC.  :ghost: 

(although the 2 remakes might have some reason for this, i swear i had zero problem before halo 2 came out)

"Fastest, fairest matchmaking experience we have ever seen"

Snake oil salesmen pretty much sums him up.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I made a video for 343 on how to improve forge. It was like a half our long but took me months to make because of my voice.

A friend of mine works as a sound tech for a TV station and told me no one likes to hear their voice played back.

Yep, when you speak, you hear your voice as being lower pitched than it actually is. It has to do with your brain processing the sound of your voice in a different way than the sounds that you hear from your external environment. The way that you sound when your voice is played back to you is the way that you sound to everybody else all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ranking System working or nah?

I have not touched the game since uhm.

December.

Ranking System working or nah?

I have not touched the game since uhm.

December.

Next update which is supposed to come this week is supposed to have working ranks in some playlists.

Next update which is supposed to come this week is supposed to have working ranks in some playlists.

Ah oke i though it was going to be released couple days ago, i guess i have to keep my fingers crossed then.

Well this is day #5 since being sent to cert. Im expecting it to drop later today, unless it fails of course.

All the other previous CU's I believe took 3-5 days in cert.

/rant

I have a very similar story that I wanted to share, but this will probably end up being a wall of text. Basically, I have a friend that makes playing Halo the most frustrating thing to do lately. I think giving some context and background is necessary before I get to my point. You can scroll down to the last paragraph to get to the main point, though.

When I first started playing Halo, that was waaaay back in 2002. At the time, the only two people I played with were my brothers. We played 3 player FFA on Blood Gulch. Every single night, I would get absolutely destroyed. I wasn't necessarily having much fun, but my goal was to get better than my siblings. That's a respectable goal, right? I never got better at CE until recently. To be fair, at the time, i was in elementary school while they were both much older than me.

I've always been a competitive person. In sports, games, whatever. I want to learn as much as I can and get better. Once I got an Xbox Live subscription in 2004, it was my goal to get better than my family in games period. After playing games like Wolfenstein and Rainbow Six, I finally picked up a copy of Halo 2 and started to play every single day. Within a few months, I was considerably better than them because of all of the little tricks I learned.

To fast forward through the rest of the crap that can be talked about another day, I ended up expanding my gaming goals. I went from trying to get better than my family, to trying to beat local friends, then online friends, and finally getting into the MLG scene in 2006. It was a pretty gradual improvement over time. I played with some pretty good teams that were around my skill level in Halo 2, but I knew I wasn't the best by any means. I mean, I never got higher than level 33 in ANY playlist. I had a high rank in Team Skimish, but everything else was in the high 20s.

Once Halo 3 came out, I got really lucky with the people I got to play with. Many of the players & teams made an impact in the amateur scene and even the pro scene later on. I teamed with Royal 1 & Royal 2 before Royal 2 started to get huge. I also played with Ninja for a period of time, but it was one of those teams that only lasted a couple weeks. Later on, I got to play with a decent amount of washed up pros from the past, but I still learned a lot from them. I remember going into a Gamebattles match with my team and taking a game from Team Classic before Meadowlands 2008. If you don't remember or didn't know, Team Classic placed 2nd at that tournament. So, you can probably understand how huge that was for us as some randoms to be able to take a game away from a team that was placing so well.

After moving around with a bunch of the top amateur teams in Halo 3, I was getting less and less team offers. I was playing out of my mind, but my connection was so fucking inconsistent at the time that a lot of teams didn't wanna risk playing with me. Which now that I think about it, that's totally understandable, I knew I could perform well against top teams, but it's hard to get good practice when you randomly go into black screen during some important scrims.

A couple months later, I upgraded my connection, but didn't really have any good teams to play with anymore. A friend of mine from school, Conor, never played a video game before in his life, but got an Xbox 360 and Halo 3 for his birthday. He heard from mutual friends about how I competed in tournaments online, locally, and around the country for money and was really interested in playing with me. Conor was a completely fresh mind that wanted to get into competitive gaming immediately. At first, we would always arrange times to play together so I could teach him the basics. The controls, weapons, general strategies, etc. This guy was seriously the most engaging person I've ever met or had the pleasure of playing Halo with. He would constantly pick my brain and ask questions. I would get texts in the middle of the night about some of the things that I thought was simple, but was something completely unknown to him. Since all of this was new to him, he didn't have any bad habits on a tactical level in Halo. Conor was able to absorb a tremendous amount of information a very short amount of time.

For me, this was a really fun and unique experience. Instead of competing against the top players, I chose to go on a journey with a friend down the road to his first 50. Conor's goal was to get a 50 in any playlist, so we started playing doubles. In this playlist, I knew it was all on me and him. I could teach him true teamwork and how to control a game. Once again, to fast forward through a big chunk of this particular story, in about 6 months, this guy went from never playing a video game before to getting a 50 in doubles. Later on, he would start to play gamebattles and get to the high 40s in the MLG playlist. Conor stopped playing Halo once Halo 4 came out, but he's the kind of player that I wanna play with. Someone that's eager to learn and get better, but in the end, just wants to have fun.

This is where the real story starts.. One day, during a game session of Halo 3, Conor tells me about his friend that is apparently a really good player. He told me about how this guy placed top 16 at MLG events back in the Halo 2 days. He kept talking about how this guy used to compete against pros and was good friends with a lot of the top talent. Conor said "Yeah.. I think he might be better than you. I started telling him about you and he doesn't think you're as good as I say you are." Now keep in mind I was a teenaged mountain dew fueled gaming nerd at the time. I wasn't having any of that shit. We ran some games in the MLG playlist as a team of 3 and it was pretty brutal. Mystery man and myself were super critical of each other. He would get sniped and I'd call him out for not listening to the team or I'd run a shitty flag route and ruin a perfectly set up play. You can probably guess it was a pretty toxic environment, but I kinda liked it. I never had someone watching my every move and calling me out on every little flaw that I might not even notice. This stranger kept me on my toes and I tried my ass off to show that I was the better player.

After that game, we challenged each other to a 1v1 best of 3 series. We ended up tying the first game 3 times in a row and just deciding to stop playing. We were both shitting on each other in these games, but one player would scratch and claw their way back up to tie it before the clock ran out. Within a few hours, two guys went from hating each other over the internet for no good reason to having respect for each other. From there, we made a team and I started to improve a ton. That constant pressure of making a mistake was still on both of us. Even though we were both on the same team, in many ways, we were still competing against each other. This provided an amazing way to get better and it really did work for me. To this day, we have an agreement to have a 1v1 match in the newest Halo game. In Halo: Reach, we tied. In Halo 4, we tied. In MCC, we planned on playing all of the games in a best of 5 series, but tied our Halo 1 matched 2 times in a row and just stopped. Hopefully I can finally beat him once Halo 5 drops.  :goat:

The mystery man's name is John, by the way. He's my best friend in the online world. One day, while playing Halo 3, I noticed John's profile said he was from Ohio, the same state that I live in. After a little conversation, we found out that we both lived in the same city. How crazy is that? We've both been playing competitive Halo for years and never met in real life. This really fused the bond we had together when we became good friends outside of Halo and started going to local tournaments. John is still my go-to partner when it comes to gaming. No matter what game genre it is, if there's a way for us to play as a team, we always dominate and have fun. We stopped competing once Halo 4 came out, but we still constantly play whatever is competitive nowadays.

Recently, the game that we are trying to compete in is League of Legends. There is still a ton of things I have to learn to get better, but I'm having a lot of fun. In a way, League of Legends is a way for me to start all over. With Halo, I can be away from the controller for weeks and then come back and be able to beat 98% of the players. Halo is second nature for me now. I have logged so many hours into this franchise that the game is basically hardwired into my mind. With League of Legends, I have to learn the controls. I have to learn the basic strategy. I have to get better. According to the ranking system, I'm pretty bad. I'm in the 2nd lowest division. In Halo, getting a 50 or Onyx/Pro division was almost effortless. Being in this position again after so many years is very humbling and is a great way for me to not let my passion in gaming get stale. I'm starting to try new things, ya know?

John truly enjoys these new games and experiences, but he doesn't quite have the same mindset that he used to have. After his success in Halo, he seemingly expects to be good at all of the games he plays. If something goes wrong or we lose, it's always someone else's fault. When we lose a game, I try to learn from our mistakes. Every time I try to make a point, he says "Well yeah.. but hindsight is 20/20." Imagine playing Halo and you realize you're getting squashed by a team because they got every single overshield during the match. If I tell you that is part of the reason that we're losing, you'd expect our team to start focusing on the overshield so we can improve and start winning again. John doesn't want to do that anymore. We've recently gotten to a point where if we win, we're good. If we lose, it's not our fault. The whole idea of learning and having fun has been replaced with toxicity and complaining. This has carried over to Halo once MCC came out. John insists that Halo 1 doubles is the worst and most random Halo game to date. When I try to explain things like weapon timers, button glitches, and spawns, he doesn't really care to listen anymore. Instead of playing and slowly improving to get that satisfaction of being the best, there's this sense of entitlement where he expects to have every single win handed down to him and if we lose, you can expect some childish rage. At this point, it's pretty frustrating to play with him. Just trying to enjoy the game becomes a chore at times. I'm hoping to find some new players that share the same mentality as myself going into Halo 5 because I've been wanting to get back in the eSports scene for a looong time. I don't care about being the best anymore. I gave up on that many years ago. I just want to compete, get better, and have fun again.

TL;DR:  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 5

"Fastest, fairest matchmaking experience we have ever seen"

Snake oil salesmen pretty much sums him up.

Who is that guy? Does he still work for 343? Ha! But seriously when the next content update drops it will fulfill all those promises correct? 

This is true. The first time I heard my voice I got sad and it ruined my day. Lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

But seriously when the next content update drops it will fulfill all those promises correct? 

J3bSoVm.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

Well this is day #5 since being sent to cert. Im expecting it to drop later today, unless it fails of course.

All the other previous CU's I believe took 3-5 days in cert.

The last update dropped on a tuesday i really hope it comes out tonight.

Who is that guy? Does he still work for 343? Ha! But seriously when the next content update drops it will fulfill all those promises correct? 

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

*Walks in*

*Sees MCC still isn't fixed*

*leaves and goes back to Mortal Kombat X until successful patch feedback*

Streamed some CE for a bit today hoping people could tell me things I was doing wrong, it was going alright until I forgot to mute it and had to hear my voice played back to me  :wutface:

I was watching your stream dude, you sound completely normal and you're a funny guy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whenever 343 gives a date for something coming, whether its an update about an update or an update its always the absolute latest it can be. "February" update ended up being March, and "April" update is turning into "Almost May". "This week" is probably going to mean Friday or later. God forbid something comes out before we expect it.

I sure am gunna enjoy having ranks in MCC for a whole 3 months before H5 drops and nukes the MCC population...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I sure am gunna enjoy having ranks in MCC for a whole 3 months before H5 drops and nukes the MCC population...

Don't worry it'll only be for 3 months before Halo 5's pop inevitably dwindles down, plus I'm more worried about Battlefront and Blops 3 pulling people away.

• Upvote (+1) 2