CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I don't understand why some people say H2 Br was better than H3 Br..Yes it was more powerful but at the same time, it had no downsize..Heavy aim assist,no spread at all,almost every shot hits thanks to the registration..H3 Br definately requires more skill..Yes H2 maps are amazing but overall, H3 is a better experience and best and most balanced Halo game by far..Some maps are just awful though..I think population will be like:

Halo 3

Halo 2 Annv.

Halo 2

Halo 4

Halo CE

i hope your sincerely trolling, that is the worst reasoning for saying h3 is good lmao...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand why some people say H2 Br was better than H3 Br..Yes it was more powerful but at the same time, it had no downsize..Heavy aim assist,no spread at all,almost every shot hits thanks to the registration..H3 Br definately requires more skill..Yes H2 maps are amazing but overall, H3 is a better experience and best and most balanced Halo game by far..Some maps are just awful though..I think population will be like:

Halo 3

Halo 2 Annv.

Halo 2

Halo 4

Halo CE

http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

Bulletology

In Halo 3, each bullet from the Battle Rifle’s three-round burst is networked individually under the cases outlined above. Additionally, each bullet has a different margin of error, with the first round from the Battle Rifle being the most accurate of the three bullets. The first bullet can have an error between 0 and .15 degrees off of the true aiming vector. The third bullet is between 0 and 0.38 degrees, the second bullet falls somewhere between the first and third. It is a mistake to look at where the third bullet lands and assume all three bullets are that inaccurate. The outliers (0.15 on bullet 1 and 0.38 on bullet 3) are the absolute worst-case scenarios. In that context those numbers don’t mean a whole lot – but in the grand scheme thing of how the Battle Rifle operates, they are pretty meaningful.

The Battle Rifle works this way because after Halo 2 it was retuned to be a reliable headshot and anti-sniper weapon (in terms of pinging Snipers at distance from their scoped-in state). The first bullet in the burst fills this role – it is quite accurate (identical to the Halo 2 BR, but with a travel time), and will kill an unshielded unit with a headshot or ping a sniper.

Another design goal with the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 was to bring the kill-range closer. One way this was achieved was by giving bullets 2 and 3 from the BR a wider error, which makes them less likely to land outside of the BR’s intended effective range. Summarily, this reduces the BR’s effectiveness AND damage output at those ranges, without compromising its ability to finish a target at the same range.

This change allows the Battle Rifle to be competitive in terms of damage output at closer-than-Halo 2-levels, without being so effective at longer range, that players caught in the open are gunned down too quickly (that task in Halo 3’s sandbox belongs to the Sniper Rifle. If you need to control a space 30wu [world units] away, use it instead).

Math Class

Over distance, the three BR bullets spread further than they are during the black line (see: fig 2) in the initial burst. In order to solve for how much a bullet’s flight will vary over distance – the aforementioned margin of error are used in this equation:

SIN(Bullet’s Margin of Error)xDistance to Target in WU(world units) = Actual margin of error from target

For the first, and most accurate bullet coming from the Battle Rifle here’s the equation:

SIN(.15)xDistance in World Units = Error margin for a given bullet at a specific range.

In the case of the Battle Rifle on Guardian, the approximate distance from Snipe 2 to Gold 2 is roughly 18 world units. Plugging those numbers into the equation yields a value of .047 world units in the absolute worst case scenario for that bullet. Since one world unit is equal to 10 feet, the variation on that bullet is 0.047 world units, or roughly half of a foot. Considering that the Spartan model is 0.75 world units (the Chief is 7 and a half feet tall) you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of variation will come from that bullet, that works out to roughly a half a foot of variation at that distance. The Chief’s helmet is approximately 0.094 world units wide, so if the shields pop, that bullet – aimed and fired accurately – under reasonable network conditions yields a kill.

Special thanks to Jon Cable, Tyson Green and Luke Timmins for answering about a million questions of mine this week regarding the iterations of the BR.

Denouement

Aesthetic similarities aside, the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 is a far different weapon from its Halo 2 predecessor. Despite what segments of the player population believe or want to believe, it is no longer a mid-to-long range killing machine. It is an anti-long range weapon with a focus on mid-range combat that ends up being utilitarian and functional, but not optimal at close range. The reasons for this are obvious – there is no designed one-weapon-to-rule-them-all in Halo 3 and that is a decision made by design to encourage all of the aspects of the sandbox to be used in gameplay.

Much of the fervent debate comes from players who simply want the weapon to perform differently than it was designed to perform. The bullet variation in the Battle Rifle’s three-round bursts is a design choice that further defines the weapon's role in the Halo 3 sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Don't feed the troll.

Just educating.

Whether he's trolling or not, there actually some people out there who believe that way...weird huh? We're all entitled to believe what we want and like what we want, but when someone says bold statements, it's nice to revert back to them with facts...trolling or not troll.

Sky is blue? Prove it. LOL.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Troll? I don't understant why you call me as a troll..I am serious..

@@TTUVAPOR  So, you can't shoot someone across the map with the H3 BR unlike H4 DMR and H2 BR..What's wrong with that? Do you guys prefer H4 where everyone DMRing people across the map?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I didn't know the bone has a twitch app that allows anyone to stream for free. Am I interpreting that correctly because that's pretty amazing imo.

Halo 3

Halo 2 Annv.

Halo 2

Halo 4

Halo CE

Good post would read again. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I didn't know the bone has a twitch app that allows anyone to stream for free. Am I interpreting that correctly because that's pretty amazing imo.

Yea you can. I believe there is a 30 sec delay but not sure

Yea you can. I believe there is a 30 sec delay but not sure

Pretty sure it's 15, and it's innate with twitch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's correct - you just link your Xbox to your Twitch account, plug Kinect in as a camera/mic if you want it, set a corner for it to display you on, and then stream your gameplay. You can even access the chat if you wish.

I'm really worried that I'm gonna get all hyped up for this, and then the CE netcode is going to be unplayable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm excited for all the games to be honest. I tend to go back and replay all the campaigns before the release of a new game and MCC allows me to do that without havin to switch to my 360. Plus all of the games are running in 1080p at 60fps. No more screen lag in campaign!

But for mp I'm only excited for 1 and 2 lol

I'm really worried that I'm gonna get all hyped up for this, and then the CE netcode is going to be unplayable.

thats what I'm thinking too. I'm probably gonna wait a bit and then buy it

Just educating.

Whether he's trolling or not, there actually some people out there who believe that way...weird huh? We're all entitled to believe what we want and like what we want, but when someone says bold statements, it's nice to revert back to them with facts...trolling or not troll.

Sky is blue? Prove it. LOL.

Yes, reply to trolls in lengthy factual posts.

That'll show em.

Troll? I don't understant why you call me as a troll..I am serious..

@@TTUVAPOR  So, you can't shoot someone across the map with the H3 BR unlike H4 DMR and H2 BR..What's wrong with that? Do you guys prefer H4 where everyone DMRing people across the map?

I believe you. Sometimes people have trouble understanting different points of view. I definately see where you are coming from, there are no downsize to hearing out new opinions.

Yup it's pretty awesome. Should make online tournaments a tad easier to keep tabs on.

Idk about unplayable, but I'm worried it's not going to be optimal at all. Jury is still out.

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't know how it's not going to be as laggy as H:ce PC or Xbc without redoing the maps/netcode

Yea I mean it'll probably be better than xbc is but by how much? If h1 runs as well as Reach did online I will be more than excited, but if were having something heavy on lag I will be a bit disappointed

It's actually pretty cool.  Once you get it set up you literally just say "Xbox Broadcast" (assuming you have the kinect) and off it goes.  Downside is you can only stream while in game.  It won't stream the dashboard or anything else.  Quality isn't too bad.  Options compared to doing it through a computer are massively limited.

Didn't realize how many people disliked Halo 3. That's what got me started in halo, so it will always be my baby. I'm excited for everything in the MCC, (except H4), but mostly for 2 and 3. I'll put a solid 5 days or so in Ce, but I'm gonna played the shit out of 3 and 2.

I feel like you guys aren't giving enough credit to dedis and what they will do for a lot of H3's problems. Sure there are netcode issues, even on lan, but it's going to be so nice not having to worry about BS host and shots dropping on a regular basis. Maybe im just an H3 kid lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't realize how many people disliked Halo 3. That's what got me started in halo, so it will always be my baby. I'm excited for everything in the MCC, (except H4), but mostly for 2 and 3. I'll put a solid 5 days or so in Ce, but I'm gonna played the shit out of 3 and 2.

I feel like you guys aren't giving enough credit to dedis and what they will do for a lot of H3's problems. Sure there are netcode issues, even on lan, but it's going to be so nice not having to worry about BS host and shots dropping on a regular basis. Maybe im just an H3 kid lol.

Dedis can't fix BR spread unfortunately.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I played a lot of Halo 3 when I first started out.

Every time I go back to the game to play a little, I'm slapped in the face with the worst aiming I've ever felt in a shooter. I just can't get by how sloppy it feels with all factors considered.

Yes, dedicated servers will help out the game plenty. It will solve a few of its problems such as registration and the annoying art of leading shots over a crappy netcode, but it won't solve the spread, the low FOV, or the aiming being awful.

Sooooo...

Logically, if H1 will be based off H:PC's code, that should mean the maps that had fuel rods and flamethrowers should have them, or at least be in custom game options. 

Right?

I so want to bombard a Gulch base again with fuel rods. The spawnkill rage from PC servers was strong with that. 

A lot of people didn't like Halo 3 when it came out.  It was more or less a slower, inconsistent Halo 2 with bad maps.  Things like Equipment and Shield Doors also pissed people off.

The general trend with Halo sequels was that the base gameplay was changed for the sake of change without considering the consequences, and a lot of those changes were targeted at removing the playstyles of good players.

Halo 3 was where I stopped taking Halo as seriously.  Mostly played BTB with local friends.  Played 2v2 or MLG occasionally until I started getting annoyed at things, then back to BTB.

Sooooo...

Logically, if H1 will be based off H:PC's code, that should mean the maps that had fuel rods and flamethrowers should have them, or at least be in custom game options.

Right?

I so want to bombard a Gulch base again with fuel rods. The spawnkill rage from PC servers was strong with that.

The PC version of Halo 1 gave you the option to use new and original weapon settings, although I'm pretty sure there were original settings that you couldn't use.

I forget what happened when you tried using old settings on the new maps though.

• Upvote (+1) 1