CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Honest question - judgement free zone...

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

B] Buying Halo 5 at launch?

Is the general feeling of this thread that you'll be switching to H5 when it comes out, or will most people be playing MCC this fall, assuming improvements continue to be made?

A - Not at all

B - Probably get it a day or 2 after launch if everything works as advertised

I am confused how you see ranks as instrumental to repopulating halo. That correlation doesn't make any sense to me. Is there historical evidence for it in BF4?

I see halo as dead BECAUSE the population will never return no matter how good the game patches make the experience. I see no way to heal the wound 343 inflicted upon halo.

Yep. I want ranks to be in the game as well, but anyone who think it's going to help the population is fooling themselves. Unless 343 comes out with an actual map pack people want that's free, we won't ever see a large spike in population again unless it's on Games with Gold or something. You don't release a game that's broken for months and get everyone back by saying "we're finally showing improvement".

The MCC population is forever going to be low no matter how well it works and we might as well start accepting that.

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

E3 is probably going to make me answer 'yes' to both, we'll see.

Yep. I want ranks to be in the game as well, but anyone who think it's going to help the population is fooling themselves. Unless 343 comes out with an actual map pack people want that's free, we won't ever see a large spike in population again unless it's on Games with Gold or something. You don't release a game that's broken for months and get everyone back by saying "we're finally showing improvement".

The MCC population is forever going to be low no matter how well it works and we might as well start accepting that.

Below 15k, its so fucking stupid man. Even fucking Halo 4 didn't go as deep and as fast after 4 months. Halo 4 had 20k people after a year.

It's not in the top 10, and it's below 15k RIGHT NOW. This is a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If it works at launch = buying, pretty easy decision for me, as I loved the Beta and hope for some obvious improvements to be made. Even if some changes aren't made, I still had enough fun with it to warrant a $60 purchase. 

Plus the campaign intrigues the fuck out of me.

I still think the Mario Kart voting system is the best - would love to see that in a Halo game.

It's greatness.

I am confused how you see ranks as instrumental to repopulating halo. That correlation doesn't make any sense to me. Is there historical evidence for it in BF4?

I see halo as dead BECAUSE the population will never return no matter how good the game patches make the experience. I see no way to heal the wound 343 inflicted upon halo.

They're actually a pretty huge deal.  Halo 2 and 3 had skill ranks, and they motivated people not only to play, but to improve.  They let people scratch their competitive itch.  Winning matters.  When you take that away, you're left with a grinding game that loses its sense of consequence and thrill.  This was Reach's problem.  It became an even bigger problem in H4 because SR130 was so easy to get.  And now, we have neither skill ranks or an XP rank to grind.  There's no reason to play.  Give people something to strive for, and they'll stick around.

That's not to mention how it will improve the quality of the games themselves (even matches, less quitting, etc).  But let me be clear.  I don't think ranks will bring the population back.  I think only Games With Gold can bring the population back. Ranks will be what keeps them playing. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's greatness.

as an avid N64 Mario Kart player, how does it work in later games?

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

Is the general feeling of this thread that you'll be switching to H5 when it comes out, or will most people be playing MCC this fall, assuming improvements continue to be made?

I am not excited about H5 after playing the beta. I am more disappointed. I will most likely buy the game the day before it comes out because i'm stupid and I'm expecting it to be better than the beta. But that probably won't be the case.

Hoping that it gets delayed honestly, MCC is still broken. DAT SPARTAN STRIKE DOE?

1) Super excited for h5. Primarily because of the ranking system. I hardly play MCC anymore because its basically impossible to get good games in matchmaking, and customs are a pain. I played some of the most intense, fun halo games I have ever played during the beta, because every match was a good game and meant something.

2)Won't be preordering, but I will buy it on launch. Or preorder a few days before launch so I can download and play instantly at release.

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

A.) Not in the least

B.) Won't buy it at launch, and will only play it for the campaign if/when I do buy it.

Halo 5 departs too much from the traditional Halo formula for me to enjoy it at all (it's hardly Halo anymore).

• Upvote (+1) 3

A ) Not really excited. I considered trying the beta, but it was taking way too long to download

B ) Looking to buy it a few days - a week after launch. The only two opportunities for playing this game are playing halo with my brother and/or crossing my fingers for a good-looking (and functioning) forge plus custom game settings (toggles, for that matter)

A ) I considered trying the beta, but it was taking way too long to download

Then just let it download over night or something. It was available for three weeks

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

My opinion;

A] I am neutral. If Halo CE on the MCC didn't work as well as it does I would probably be more interested, but I'm no longer banking on the next Halo title to be the one that brings the series back, like I have been for the past 10+ years. I actually think Halo 5 is better than any Halo since CE from a base gameplay standpoint, and I know I'll get flak for that. From my brief time with it, I felt that it emphasized individual skill more than post-CE Halo has. Given the news that they are increasing strafe acceleration and base speed, it's only going to be better. I'm not ready to buy into it wholesale, because there is still a bunch of unknowns about the game and I only had a couple of weeks with it. There are certainly things I didn't like about it.

B] At this point I'm not planning to purchase it at launch. I'll see as things get closer to launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hyena ^

Wasn't something like this posted not long after Halo 3's release? I doubt its any different on MCC, but if being cryptic means getting that YOUTUBE MONEY$ than thats cool.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

Not buying it at launch, not excited in the slightest.

Beta was mediocre, giving us a useless no sprint option when the maps are made for sprint and the competitive settings will be sprint anyway. Pretty annoying that they wait until a game I'm not looking forward to to announce dedicated servers for custom games. Spectator mode is meh, I'll probably tune into the events but that's only to support the existing pros.

If there is some huge hype train I'll consider it, but even the last MCC match most of you were raving about it, I try it a few days later (easily giving the servers enough time to "settle" and made sure everyone had it) and it was still rubbish.

TL;DR - not excited, it'll be another H4 imo. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

Very excited (albeit with a handful and half of concerns), will be buying at launch. 

Wasn't something like this posted not long after Halo 3's release? I doubt its any different on MCC, but if being cryptic means getting that YOUTUBE MONEY$ than thats cool.

No idea, I've once done an accidental "bxb" in H3 by getting some ghost melee for my first hit, swapping weapons and being able to melee again right away. No clue how I did it but I still have the clip on an harddrive somewhere lol.

I remember the glitch teapot was talking about, it was basically bxr but it was a slower and harder to pull off version of it. Looks similar to this?. Maybe 60fps let's it be pulled off quicker?.

I remember the glitch teapot was talking about, it was basically bxr but it was a slower and harder to pull off version of it. Looks similar to this?. Maybe 60fps let's it be pulled off quicker?.

As long as it can be done consistently it could be useful.

00:59, you see it here and this is on the 360;

Who is...

A] Excited about Halo 5?

a]no

B] will wait till Black Friday at the earliest