CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I guess I meant how will you unlock recon now?

They'll probably have it unlocked already. Who knows, they might tie it into something else as an unlockable, we'll have to see.

They'll probably have it unlocked already.

Please no. Can they not just transfer it over from 360?

Please no. Can they not just transfer it over from 360?

You mean transferring it over unlocked or not? 

I would like to preface this post by saying like everyone here I am super hyped for Halo MCC. We have all be waiting to play our favorite games again with the addition of new technology, and I had to clean my buggies when I watched the announcement. 

With that being said, I feel Halo MCC might not be good for competitive Halo. Please don't stop reading here. It is obvious that it would do better than Halo 4 etc, so in that definition I guess it is "good" but truly anything would be better than Halo 4. Before e3 everyone was anticapting the annoucement of H2A, discussing settings, maps, etc. Halo 2 is arguably the "best" Halo and people were really excited for it potentially returning. When it was announced that all the Halo games (minus Reach) would be included I saw people getting hyped for different things. There were the "old school" players who will be die hard about Halo 1, the 2nd generation Halo 2 players, the generation that is probably the biggest Halo 3, and Halo 4 which most appeals to very young children (yes the like armor abilities). 

What you have is a community divided. Looking at the poll below it is important to note that is forum is a HALO FORUM, so if you are still talking about this game (we can be honest here it hasn't been great lately) then you are going to be a more old school player. Realistically Halo 3 and Halo 4 would have increases in percentage.

There is also the issue of Halo 5 coming out. Sure if it isn't broke don't fix it, and if Halo MCC does great on the pro circuit then why change? The fact is new games add hype, and MLG has never not switched to the newest game. So are you going to have Halo MCC on the circuit for 1 year? What happens when Halo 5 comes out.

Like everyone here I am really excited about Halo MCC. I am just not sure how it will work competitively.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't really understand what you're afraid of to be honest. Yes the MCC is meant to build hype for the next halo game and for many it will be the nudge to get people to buy Halo 5 but that's not a problem. The point is there are more people going to be playing halo than there had been in the last year or so just before the release of Halo 5. This is nothing but a good thing. So what people will be somewhat divided. A lot of people wouldn't be playing at all. I get on xbc and see names I haven't seen in years

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly IF MLG picks up any game in the MCC, it will be Halo 2. It will bring back a lot of old pros and boost the community again. But I've heard a lot of promising things about Halo 5 being competitive. Which would be fine with me. Having a game on the circuit for one year is nothing new. For Halo it would be new yes, but look at CoD for example. They have a new game on stage every single year. So in my opinion, if MLG does pick up any game in the MCC, it will do fine, regardless of the length of it on the circuit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Of this community who voted, it's clear that most enjoyed Halo 2 because that's where MLG was in its prime. Halo CE while being a great game isn't all that great for the team of four on a traditional MLG tournament weekend. Halo 2 was also the first Halo multiplayer on xbox live, so naturally it's going to probably be the most popular.

I don't think there's any worries on a divide. It'd be different if say...Halo 4 was the most popular game...then we'd have some issues to deal with.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think what will suck if a lot of players stay on MCC when halo 5 comes out and the populations isnt as high. I mean thats a shot in the dark but it is a possibility to hold players back fro halo 5.

For whatever the reason halo fans wouldnt get halo 5 would be insane but it is a possibility

I think what will suck if a lot of players stay on MCC when halo 5 comes out and the populations isnt as high. I mean thats a shot in the dark but it is a possibility to hold players back fro halo 5.

For whatever the reason halo fans wouldnt get halo 5 would be insane but it is a possibility

It's quite possible Halo 5's population could be low due to having Halo CE and Halo 2 on XBL. It'd be a Counter-strike 1.6 vs CS:GO scenario.

Halo 5 isn't a guarantee, it's a hope. At least with Halo CE and Halo 2, we know what we're getting, and it's a sure thing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah its just a lot of servers to maintain but i guess with XBL having a hell of a lot more then its possible to have 5 main servers for the games.

I'm sure halo 5 will sell well just because its on xbox one "next-gen" and its something new. Xbox doesnt have a huge lineup so im sure the population will be fine. But "what IF" players doint like it and go back to MCC??

idk im just worrying over nothing but it got me thinking.

Honestly, as it stands right now, MCC is what the community NEEDS. It has all the Halos. Everyone's favorite is in there somewhere and it will bring back majority of the population. Hell, we may even have a competitive community again. What I am most afraid of, which is crucial, is that MCC is vastly successful. MLG picks it up. We have events for the year and everything is great. Then, Halo 5 comes out. If Halo 5 is a flop, Halo is done for. There will be no bringing it back after that point. It is Crucial that Halo 5 is good if we are to ride off the momentum. But, with that said, MCC is still around. Maybe people will go back to that? I doubt it but Halo 5 needs to be spectacular in order to pull people away from the greatness that will be MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Of this community who voted, it's clear that most enjoyed Halo 2 because that's where MLG was in its prime. Halo CE while being a great game isn't all that great for the team of four on a traditional MLG tournament weekend. Halo 2 was also the first Halo multiplayer on xbox live, so naturally it's going to probably be the most popular.

Yes, our community voted for H2, our community isnt all that matters though. If we go back to H1 or H2, how many viewers do you really expect to get? Before H5 comes out i see them doing well, after that not so much. We will get the oldschool players back but no new viewers that we need to keep the tournaments coming. This happens all the time in the fighting game community. Every once in a while theyll hold tournaments for the older, better games and get much less viewers than the new, worse games.

It's quite possible Halo 5's population could be low due to having Halo CE and Halo 2 on XBL. It'd be a Counter-strike 1.6 vs CS:GO scenario.

I doubt the competitive scene will play H5 over the older games unless H5 is anything but perfect and theres money in it. I also doubt H1 and 2 will get many views. If Halo 5 isnt perfect, competitive Halo might be done for... at least for a while longer.

To be fair about the point of MLG only using the newest game, they are using melee instead of brawl for their tournaments atm. Not to say they would do the same thing for halo but its very likely they'll do H2 tournaments, even UGC is doing them right off the bat. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

To those wanting halo to be picked up by mlg so bad.....

You do realise how few events MLG runs now right? You aren't getting 5 20k events followed by a 100k event anymore. Last event was 7 months ago.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd like to see Halo on the circuit but I think it is much more important to have multiple event organizers running events in tandem with MLG and each other. That being said, I am confident Halo 2 will have multiple good tournaments before Halo 5 comes out, and if Halo 5 does flop (don't think it will Honestly, even if it isn't as good as H2 or CE) I still think the MCC will be able to keep us going for more than 1 year if it has to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You stated that MLG has never not switched to the newest game and that is not true. MLG is having Super Smash Bros. Melee at MLG Anaheim and that is not the newest game in that series. So if Halo 5 does fail (not saying it will nor do I think it will) I'm confident people will have events for Halo: MCC. Also, if MLG doesn't pull through with events for Halo: MCC or Halo 5, I'm confident other people will hold events for those titles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

with the Halo 5 beta being almost a year before launch i feel 343 should get it right this time with all that time for feedback, and having Bravo, Ghost, and Neighbor is only going help even more.

As for MCC i feel with most of the population probably going to be playing Halo 2 Anniversary "i know i will" 343 will probably choose to build off of what game was played the most which in my opinion anything else would be dumb. I trust in what 343 is doing this time around especially with the help of MLG PROS the competitive side of Halo will be back and live!

There is one thing i'm not looking forward to in H2A and thats getting noob comboed to the dome lol 

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair about the point of MLG only using the newest game, they are using melee instead of brawl for their tournaments atm.

Isnt Brawl the one with Meta-Knight? The character so broken he may as well be the only character in the game. I could be mistaken as i dont follow Smash.

With having multiple Halos available you can hold tournaments with multiple Halos. Not every tournament needs to be held by MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think there's any worries on a divide. It'd be different if say...Halo 4 was the most popular game...then we'd have some issues to deal with.

What lead you to that conclusion?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo MCC is most likely going to be a huge success, socially and competitively. It's going to bring a lot of people back to Halo who otherwise wouldn't have even batted an eye at Halo 5. MCC should remind everyone why they love Halo by giving them the classic experiences that made them fall in love with Halo in the first place. By doing this, you now have exponentially more people who will potentially pick up Halo 5 and give it a chance. Sure, if H5 isn't what we had hoped for, people will go back to MCC, but is that really bad for the competitive community? If H5 is a duck, like it has been stated previously, we are not going to be able to pull in new viewers anyways. It wouldn't matter if the whole (or what would be left) of the community was forced into playing it.

Now instead of a H4 situation where players just quit Halo all together, you have players going back to MCC (sounds better to me). The only thing I see is more options for the community. (Let me just say I have high hopes for H5 and am in no way condemning it. I used this situation as a worst case scenario.) 

As far as the splitting up of the community over multiple Halo titles, I think it's a wait and see. I believe the competitive community will be populating H2 and H1 for the most part, and you have to think H2 will get a lot of social gamers as well, given it's history. I'm sure most people are going to play more than one of the Halo iterations. Even those players who prefer H3 will still most likely venture into H1 and H2 from time to time. Just because they prefer playing H3 does not mean they would not tune into an H1 or H2 tournament thrown by MLG, UGC, or whoever else.

• Upvote (+1) 1