CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

It may be an unpopular opinion, and it's difficult to say for sure whether or not a halo is better than another in objective measures. However, I feel as though we can use the tools of reason and logic to determine which rules and attributes best contribute to making a skillful, fun, and balanced game.

So I'm going to unpack why I think that H2 is being straw-manned and introduced in a severely underwhelming manner in this discussion. I'm not going to add too much but just a few things I feel are overlooked. To say that the only things that gave Halo 2 a competitive edge are the button combos is misleading to those that haven't played the game. There are a multitude of things that gave rise to depth and complexity in this arena shooter. There are many wall glitches on the maps that make it nearly impossible to kill an opponent using it, adding to the positioning meta. Objective items gave double damage, so you could throw a grenade and quickly pick up the objective to inflict twice as much grenade damage. This often resulted in an instant kill. The maps were very good in Halo 2 as well, they allowed for many gametypes to be played and they ran very smoothly. This included flag, bomb, oddball, and slayer. This can't be said for Halo: Reach. Bomb was taken out of competitive settings, and oddball never saw a major tournament. That is a huge detriment to Reach. Only two disc maps ended up being used in the final version for competitive Reach. Zealot and Countdown (which had a terrible slayer gametype.) whereas Halo 2 had 5. Not to mention one of the maps used in Reach was a Halo 2 remake so that should be scratched off the list as well. Now if you wan't to claim Reach had a more skillful utility weapon, I think that can be broken down as well. You may be able to say that it is harder to aim but I feel as if that the weapon combos such as BXR, BXB, and RRX gave much more depth and skill to the weapon. Sure, you can say this is a fallacy since it isn't the weapon itself that is granting it's complexity but it is still being used in combination with it so it's still a property of the weapon. It may be easier to snipe scoped in in H2 but Reach is drastically easier to no scope in, I honestly feel as though Reach has one of the most noob friendly versions of the Rifle in 1-H:R. Now the last thing I want to cover is the idea that flow is broken by Halo 2's weapon-drop system. It may seem that way on Lockout since the slayer gametype on there is inherently slow anyways, but Creek plays very fast for the most part. I'll admit Sanc TS is not that much fun in h2. I honestly like static timers better so I'll grant this one to you. That's all I'll say for now and I know I'm missing a few things such as crouch melees, lift manipulation, fast reloads with YY. I hope you consider these things next time you compare Reach and Halo 2.

Edit: I see the conversation moved on, if this seems out of place it's because it took me a bit to type out on my phone.

This is a great post. Not sure why you were negged. I know all about that stuff. I played the game (and loved the game) for 3 solid years, and you do make a good case for it.

For me it really comes down to the static timers. It's just so huge. Beaver only played fast because of the 1 minute OS. Without that the map would have played like shit. And I really love single shot weapons. Getting the headshot in Reach was so much tougher. You could turn around and out DMR a guy when you were 3 shots down in Reach, especially at zoom range. Can't do that in H2.

Someone help me find that clip of the guy getting a triple with 3 out DMR's in a row on the Pit. Can't find it but it is so choice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Someone help me find that clip of the guy getting a triple with 3 out DMR's in a row on the Pit. Can't find it but it is so choice.

• Upvote (+1) 9

This is a great post. Not sure why you were negged. I know all about that stuff. I played the game (and loved the game) for 3 solid years, and you do make a good case for it.

For me it really comes down to the static timers. It's just so huge. Beaver only played fast because of the 1 minute OS. Without that the map would have played like shit. And I really love single shot weapons. Getting the headshot in Reach was so much tougher. You could turn around and out DMR a guy when you were 3 shots down in Reach, especially at zoom range. Can't do that in H2.

I think I may have been negged because of its jarring place in the forum but it's okay, stuff like that happens.  

I think static timers are cool, I enjoy them but I also enjoy how you can manipulate the drop system in H2 to control power weapons that much more but this also means that there are less power weapons in the duration of the game vs static timers.  I'm internally conflicted on this one but for the fun factor I have to say I enjoy static timers more. I played a lot of Halo 2 and a lot of Reach, I love hitting people with the crouch strafe and nailing that headshot.  I've won some battles no shields against high tier players so I know where you are coming from on that one and I know what clip you are talking about!  But you can do something similar to that in H2.  The double shot.  Next to getting a 3 shot with the pistol, this has to be one of the most satisfying ways of dismantling an opponent.  I'll give you static timers, but double shotting someone in Halo 2 will always be more favourable to 5 shotting with the DMR. At least to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I bet there's a lot of interesting words from Bravo that hadn't been leaked.

I bet his stress is through the goddamn roof.

Just a random MCC question here, I've played on a wireless controller and wireless internet connections since MCC has been released and have had issues with shots not registering but just come to the conclusion that it's Xbox live, that's how it always is....

Has anyone here gone from wireless connection or controller to wired and noticed a difference? I have just been wireless so far cause of the convenience

I will show my kids Halo. My lesson to them will be "Don't change just because you feel like it. Make sure there is a valid reason for said change. Also don't fucking do drugs"

• Upvote (+1) 5

343/Microsoft is something else. Not only are they incompetent, they have absolutely no planning skills on top of it. Double threat.

I'm not even in the beta but still. Wow/10.

smh these people run a multi-million dollar franchise. why even announce the beta (especially for the weekend) if you aren't 100% sure it's ready.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am a member of the preview program, and still haven't received a message regarding where or not I got into the beta. Was there anything else I needed to do to get in? Are any of you guys still waiting on a message too?

This is only possible in one other halo game and it doesn't feature a BR either.

ODST?

• Upvote (+1) 1

What a disaster. Now that they've blown the launch to a select group this weekend, why not just finish fixing whatever failed to make it through testing today, and release it to everyone next week sometime?

What a disaster. Now that they've blown the launch to a select group this weekend, why not just finish fixing whatever failed to make it through testing today, and release it to everyone next week sometime?

And if it fucks up for EVERYONE?

It's a lot smarter to let it fuck up in a small testing environment.

This is only possible in one other halo game and it doesn't feature a BR either.

Because the BR is literally the easiest PoS to use in every Halo game. You simply can't miss with it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because the BR is literally the easiest PoS to use in every Halo game. You simply can't miss with it.

i lob and you finish the oop....salute

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i lob and you finish the oop....salute

My most played games are H3 and Reach and I can confidently say I've never seen anyone in Halo 3 make a ridiculous individual play with a utility weapon. In Reach I see it and hear it all the time. There's no 'omg get out BR'd from 1 shot' clutches in H3 or 2. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So they've decided to delay a beta to a game that's already been out for 2+ months?

What was JT responding anyways to make this Gif happen?

He just found out that 343 were keeping sprint in Halo.