CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Even in GAF and /r/games and other general gaming communities. No one fucking likes it and the people that do like don't really care. Take sprint out.

Hey Eagle, since you are a Mod on Reddit, when the H5 beta comes out, I will be doing a reddit post discussing all of the bad changes in H5 and how they should be changed/fixed. Would there be any chance you would be able to sticky it when I do post it, so that it get's more attention? I really want shit like Sprint to be removed from Halo forever, and I think the H5 beta is the best chance we are ever going to get.

73% of the halo community wants sprint gone from halo.

results from a 343 employee's poll on waypoint

How do we show this statistic to the retarts like Dersky and Ghostayame who are ex halo pros and are now making Halo 5?

Hey Eagle, since you are a Mod on Reddit, when the H5 beta comes out, I will be doing a reddit post discussing all of the bad changes in H5 and how they should be changed/fixed. Would there be any chance you would be able to sticky it when I do post it, so that it get's more attention? I really want shit like Sprint to be removed from Halo forever, and I think the H5 beta is the best chance we are ever going to get.

Well I'm not sure if we're going to have anything stickied at the time (can only have one sticky), but you do need to stay neutral if you want it as a sticky. Reddit isn't like Beyond, it's much more varied in opinion and a sticky of anti-Halo 5 mechanics is going to open a whole can of drama. Like instead of saying "Sprint is bad and here's why", say "Here are the negatives of sprint and here are the positives of sprint".

Well I'm not sure if we're going to have anything stickied at the time (can only have one sticky), but you do need to stay neutral if you want it as a sticky. Reddit isn't like Beyond, it's much more varied in opinion and a sticky of anti-Halo 5 mechanics is going to open a whole can of drama. Like instead of saying "Sprint is bad and here's why", say "Here are the negatives of sprint and here are the positives of sprint".

Ohhh okay I get it, well I can try to do one I guess, but it is going to be hard to think of positives for Sprint... I will talk to you about it closer to the beta

The hype around this game is pretty much zero. This feels like a completely dead game.

2 weeks. This has to be a record of some sort.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This situation just makes me so sick... -_-

Forget the bugs for a moment. Although it is possible 343 Industries never explicitly said it, they most certainly IMPLIED that this collection would include Halo 1 and 2 just as people remembered them. The majority remember playing them on the original Xbox. The PC ports are different, the consensus being inferior. Halo 1 is now even further away from its definitive version, thanks to the Anniversary edition being used, which has an altered HUD and replaced sound effects. In addition, there are reports that Halo 3 and 4 are not using their most recent builds.

Then you have an incomplete 60 FPS conversion for Halo 1, missing control schemes, bare-bones & non-functional matchmaking (which did work when all of these games originally launched), framerate issues on "next-gen" hardware, more freezing/crashing than these games ever had previously, and no real sign of dedicated servers, a hugely hyped-up selling point.

Right now, I don't want bug fixes, and I don't want a Halo 5 beta - I want exact ports (or as close to exact as the Xbox One's "next-gen" hardware willl allow) of all the games in the set, end. of. story. If this means Microsoft has to recall the game and delay it until after Halo 5, SO BE IT!

We are the customers. We are the ones handing over our money for their product. They have to deserve our money by making the product as implicitly advertised.

...but none of this will ever happen. The majority of the people buying this game (and the reviewers too, it seems) are STUPID. Microsoft will get all the money they want for as little work as possible, then immediately move over to the next easy money project...

If any of the developers can afford to lose their steady paycheques, please quit, and never work for Microsoft again. They are exactly what's rotten with capitalism.

iDQSYBwqoNbjE.jpg

iw5TyxOQIwgq1.jpg

P.S. Regarding the controllers, the old (good deadzones) firmware is 1.1.279.2, and the new (crappy deadzones) firmware is 1.1.2228.0 - you can find these numbers by going to Settings --> Devices & accessories, and selecting the controller.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Did test on lan with BR in H2C and it is perfect. Has anybody done a test off host? In MM 1/2 your shots count. Wish I could play on servers already to see if its better.

What frustrates me the most is that I bought this collection to play halo CE online, on dedicated servers, like I was told originally. That's literally the only reason. Three weeks into it, there is no Halo CE playlist, and when I'm lucky enough not to have morons voting for Halo 2 or 3 in TS, is definitely not on dedicated servers.

Crap, just give me a CE playlist at this point, I can wait for dedis. The past two days have literally been nothing but searching TS and turning my Xbox off after 5 minutes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While the whole situation is frustrating, I give 343i the benefit of the doubt because at least to my knowledge this is the first time something like this has ever been created for consoles. Four great games all on one disc. It's an amazing concept and the times that it actually works I have so much fun. I believe that they'll get everything together.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Anyone who says they're playing this with no problem is a LIAR.

Or they own a 5 leaf clover

#QuitTheBuild

• Upvote (+1) 2

Any idea why the halo channel doesn't play what I ask?

I mean I figured I would watch nightfall but the piece of shit app plays random shit every time I click episode one.

we should have known this series was fucked since day 1 when they announced that 343 was made up of developers from other companies...developers who apparently hated halo for specific reasons.

This was the first red flag that we should have paid more attention to. Frank tried to cover it with the "but what that really meant was...." bullshit cover. Since the first glimpse at halo 4, the first glimpse at our beloved series continuing to stray from classic halo towards replicating other shooters we should have saw 343 for who they really are, but we brushed it off, then the game came out and it was beyond awful. Then they fucked up TMCC and then showed another glimpse at the future of halo that these people that "hated" the series created.

Let me assume here for a min. 343 hired people that:

• hated walking/trotting around maps so they made sprint a default mechanic
  • hated losing map control when it came time to secure power weapons and powerups, so they made ordnance drops (till the backlash made them remove it for h5)
  • hated getting outclassed in gun fights when it came to steady aim and zooming in to lock onto targets, so they removed de-scope and added flinch so everyone has shaky aim (till the backlash made them remove them for h5)
  • hated being the only console shooter that had you looking down the barrel of your scope, so they created this pseudo-ads mechanic

so on and so forth..

If you asked me to design the next COD game (a series i'm not too fond of) I am going to change so much about the game that COD kids would hate me more than they hate puberty.

We need people that love halo, the real halo to work on this series. It's one thing to try and inject new life into a series, but to do it by fundamentally changing the core mechanics of the game in back to back titles is no bueno. Which genius at 343 thought being able to see opponents through walls in a arena shooter with radar was a bright idea? Which genius at 343 thought it was a smart idea to allow players to spawn with a mini shotgun they unlocked via exp against a team of players with a completely different loadout? Which genius thought loadouts would actually work in Halo?

Boot the whole team or at least everyone who "hated" halo.

I have been ranting/raging against 343 lately and that was wrong of me - and I openly apologize to 343 for my comments in past posts. I want to make this an objective post based upon the evidence I have seen thus far.

It is clear to me from observing H4 and H5 that the crew at 343 doesn't really understand the basic fundamentals of Halo. They understand shooters, but they erroneously see Halo as just another shooter. As a result, they don't understand the potential that Halo offers. I can honestly say that this is an objective conclusion, because if they understood what made Halo unique, they would understand why sprint doesn't work, and we would not see sprint in H5 beta.

(Honestly, it could be worse, they may simply not care. But for the rest of this post, I will assume the best of 343, that they simply do not understand.)

Now I say that because I understand the arguments against sprint in Halo. ct and Lemon and others have taken the time to explain these things to us in great detail. I am also a fan of sprint as an escape mechanic, because for me retreat is a form of enemy engagement. But even I don't see any value in sprint in H5 given that it is nerf'd to the point of being useless for anything other than traversing large maps. It has gone from they did not understand how sprint negatively impacted the game, to they included sprint but the uselessness seems to have flown right over their heads. I see no reason why H5 even has sprint at this point - it makes no logical sense at all. This lead me to come to the only conclusion that I could come up with - that sprint is in H5 exclusively as a political decision, not as a logical decision.

Another example is that they put flinch into H4. They had to have tested flinch time and again to get it down the way they wanted it. Not understanding what makes Halo different from other shooters, they would naturally tune the flinch behavior to mimic other shooters and assume it would work just as well with Halo. My point is that without understanding Halo, experiencing the flinch affect during development (let alone testing) wouldn't raise any flags in their minds.

When I look at all the things that they have done in H4, I can only come to the conclusion that they don't understand why Halo is a competitive game and CoD is not - and I mean competitive as a shooter skill game. And without possessing this understanding, you cannot blame them for viewing Halo as just another shooter. (You could blame them for hiring people that lacked this understanding, but that is not the issue here.)

I read the article you quoted. Even the first time I read it I realized that the part you highlighted was a hook, a way to grab the reader's attention. I firmly believe he meant to use it to get across that their developers want to change the game to be "better". More importantly, he was trying to say that the people they hired believed they could improve Halo. But they cannot make a better Halo unless they understand what makes Halo unique. They can only make a better shooter in general.

And that is exactly what we are seeing. H5 is being made more into just another shooter. But the truth is, H5 still looks a lot better than anything else out there. And this is because the kill times are longer and you don't just drop all over the place.

I thought Microsoft should let 343 do what they could do best, create a CoD competitor - yet another shooter - and then let a new studio that understands and appreciates Halo take over the Halo legacy. But that isn't going to happen. 343 will continue to develop Halo. We can only hope that they will one day understand Halo enough to make a true Halo game once again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And that is exactly what we are seeing. H5 is being made more into just another shooter. But the truth is, H5 still looks a lot better than anything else out there. And this is because the kill times are longer and you don't just drop all over the place.

You cant just say "Longer kill times = good"

• Upvote (+1) 1

You cant just say "Longer kill times = good"

But at this moment, it seems like that is the biggest difference that remains between Halo and the other shooters.

But at this moment, it seems like that is the biggest difference that remains between Halo and the other shooters.

Kinda true, but you cant just say "long kill times so good". You cant apply the halo mindset and dump it in other games, and its Halo's obession for the average kill time becoming longer and longer thats ultimately killed the series. Halo 5 doesnt have kill times that much quicker, and with reduced aim assist/multiple disengagement mechanics, you could have the longest average kill time in Halo ever.

343 better give us no Sprint in Halo 5 man to make up for this...

#TeamNoSprint2014

They won't, sadly. They have built their maps around making this work. Plus a lot of their extra gimmicky bullshit revolves around sprinting - like sprint jumping etc.

Team BRs Foundry over Dammy and Midship ;_;

I would pick BR's on Foundry over SMG starts on Middy too (assuming that's what was on offer?). Dammy is a different story though.

Kinda true, but you cant just say "long kill times so good". You cant apply the halo mindset and dump it in other games, and its Halo's obession for the average kill time becoming longer and longer thats ultimately killed the series. Halo 5 doesnt have kill times that much quicker, and with reduced aim assist/multiple disengagement mechanics, you could have the longest average kill time in Halo ever.

I understand what you are saying. My emphasis has always been on the "engagement" and not on the "kill" itself. I would have loved to play and create maps for FC3 because their maps editor is far ahead of anything else out there, including forge. But I can't stand the drop on shot game play. For me there needs to be an engaging fire fight. It's a shooter after all.

The only thing that H4 had that really drove me nuts (despite the long kill times) was the random ordnance. It stripped all strategy from the maps and made the game a boring lap around the tracks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They won't, sadly. They have built their maps around making this work. Plus a lot of their extra gimmicky bullshit revolves around sprinting - like sprint jumping etc.

I would pick BR's on Foundry over SMG starts on Middy too (assuming that's what was on offer?). Dammy is a different story though.

It was Midship BRs