Beyond Entertainment

Forum Rules Update - 03/09/14

am i the only one who thinks 343 should be hiring the halo modders rather than former pros?

That would make too much sense.

So, if Gold Pro changes its camo from 45s back to 30s, we are allowed to post on here?

P.s. my sig has a link to modded content.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, if Gold Pro changes its camo from 45s back to 30s, we are allowed to post on here?

P.s. my sig has a link to modded content.

Nice man, fight the system, down with the man.

We previously supported modded settings with articles, videos, etc. but rules change.  

The New rules are in place to prevent users Xbox Live accounts / consoles from getting banned.  We simply cannot host content that can have a possible console / account ban surprise for the person who downloads it.  Same concept for giveaways, we don't let everyone just post giveaways because people don't give out the prize they promised.  People can think we are "hurting the community" (which is absurd by the way), but believe it or not some of these rules are in place to look out for our community.

However, discussing mods is not against the rules.  And I saw someone asking about PM's earlier, we cant see what other users PM each-other. 

@@moneymike1025 Would be interesting to see modders get hired, I feel like some of them may have some real talent, but at the same time if 343 did that it may encourage more modding behavior so IMO it is a double edged sword.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Nice man, fight the system, down with the man.

Or, I have link a there (which has been there for months now so its not about "fighting the system", but I appreciate the passive aggressiveness)  so people can find GP easier and if thats a problem or a breach of rules il remove it, but tell me before I get given a ban of some sorts.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You made a new rule, then deleted a thread that was made before the new rule was made? 

can u not

As the site evolves, new opportunities appear and re-evaluation is needed. Sometimes this involves the introduction of new rules. When new rules are introduced they will be enforced right away. The offending content was removed and the user informed. Of course no warnings or bans were issued as the content was made in accordance with the old rules. 

It may seem that rules are just created out of thin area to punish a particular person or piece of content. This is simply not the case. Somethings will come around every now and then that spark debate and evaluation within the staff. These are the catalysts of change and nothing more.

While I understand the potential long term benefits of disallowing modded content, it's a difficult decision to make.  Though I realize it's

not quite this simple, It's essentially a choice to either support the developer or support the community. 

Disallowing modded content is not an approach that I can personally get behind.  I feel that the good of the community should always be prioritized ahead of what's good for a particular website.  I tend to be very idealistic though.  Regardless, I support your right to make this decision, and I hope it works out for you guys.

There is always a tough choices to be made when a site grows and expands. I personally always play devils advocate in situations that require thought just to make sure the best possible solution is found. We want to do what is best for the community whilst also growing into new areas of partnership and opportunity. As these new opportunities come along there comes with it a greater responsibility to our users. 

I would've gone with warnings and disclaimers instead of treating all users like idiots just to have good forum/site rep. Given that this site is not 343i/MS endorsed, I see no real reason for enforcing this (in my opinion) absurd rule. But then again, your court, your rules. Just take into consideration that perhaps you are further limiting content creation in an already dying community.

This was something I suggested towards the giveaway threads. After a long thorough conversation it was deemed that the best way forward was to disallow them completely. Of course we don't want to limit community content. When we weighted up the advantages and disadvantages, the former  was heavier.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@moneymike1025 Would be interesting to see modders get hired, I feel like some of them may have some real talent, but at the same time if 343 did that it may encourage more modding behavior so IMO it is a double edged sword.

is that a bad thing though? how many gametypes have modders added to halo 4 compared to 343? I think its time to stop viewing modders as the black sheep of gaming and start looking at them as a defense against lazy developers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

is that a bad thing though? how many gametypes have modders added to halo 4 compared to 343? I think its time to stop viewing modders as the black sheep of gaming and start looking at them as a defense against lazy developers. 

I don't personally think it is a bad thing, but it doesn't matter what I think.  It is against Microsoft's ToS and they ban people for modding / altering the titles that they produce.  I feel like some of those guys do deserve jobs but it is highly improbable that 343 / Microsoft would publicly hire a modder you know?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't personally think it is a bad thing, but it doesn't matter what I think.  It is against Microsoft's ToS and they ban people for modding / altering the titles that they produce.  I feel like some of those guys do deserve jobs but it is highly improbable that 343 / Microsoft would publicly hire a modder you know?

sometimes i really hate microsoft man

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would've gone with warnings and disclaimers instead of treating all users like idiots just to have good forum/site rep. Given that this site is not 343i/MS endorsed, I see no real reason for enforcing this (in my opinion) absurd rule. But then again, your court, your rules. Just take into consideration that perhaps you are further limiting content creation in an already dying community.

Did you read his explanation? It wasn't about this site. It was about users coming here and inadvertently being banned.

This thread has explained the motives for the rules quite clearly. No further discussion necessary.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Or, I have link a there (which has been there for months now so its not about "fighting the system", but I appreciate the passive aggressiveness)  so people can find GP easier and if thats a problem or a breach of rules il remove it, but tell me before I get given a ban of some sorts.

Can you please remove the URL in your thread then.

Please don't think of this as a witch-hunt by the way, it isn't, we respect what you do and wish good mods could be accepted by MS Xbox Live ToS.

Can you please remove the URL in your thread then.

Please don't think of this as a witch-hunt by the way, it isn't, we respect what you do and wish good mods could be accepted by MS Xbox Live ToS.

Its not modded anymore.

You can only get banned for putting the modded gametypes in your file-share. I highly doubt anyone from this site has ever gotten banned as a result of a thread, or will, so an unnecessary rule change in my eyes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Jesus. How can people be giving Beyond shit for this? They made a decision about the content they want on their site. Done. Get over it or get the fuck out. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Does this include linking YouTube vids which have modded content in them? (Thinking wheelchair Halo Reach here)

Jesus. How can people be giving Beyond shit for this? They made a decision about the content they want on their site. Done. Get over it or get the fuck out. 

I see mostly respectful feedback but I guess that is "shit" and I should get the fuck out

Please

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I see mostly respectful feedback but I guess that is "shit" and I should get the fuck out

Please

Respectful feedback is fine, I'm sure they'll take it on board. But the concept of complaining, even if it's respectful, about a sites decision to protect themselves and their business is beyond me. I'm sure there are other places to discuss modded content. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does this include linking YouTube vids which have modded content in them? (Thinking wheelchair Halo Reach here)

If the video is simply showing modded content, we won't take action then. If the video shows you where/how to download the modded content, the video link will be removed and action will be taken. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its not modded anymore.

Then it's fine.

------

Also we don't mind feedback or discussion about this and other subjects, we like hearing feedback and communicating with the community about topics.

We won't lock topics and leave it be, feedback is very important to us so we can improve as a site and Beyond for the future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It would be nice for modders to have a shot to work for devs(as that guy in Skyrim  did) as they have much insight on core stuff that any player don't probably has as they only care about the "experience" of the game not realizing that the experience they have is based on numbers/details.

I think its time to stop viewing modders as the black sheep of gaming and start looking at them as a defense against lazy developers. 

isnt that the case most of the time?

I KNEW there were articles with download links in them.

Edit that link out. No balls.  :bravo:

What if instead of just suspension you delete the link and edit it saying "edited because of failure to obey general rules etc etc" and mark their name or whatever system you have and if it happens again then suspension can happen. nobody likes to just get suspended because they forgot or something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What if instead of just suspension you delete the link and edit it saying "edited because of failure to obey general rules etc etc" and mark their name or whatever system you have and if it happens again then suspension can happen. nobody likes to just get suspended because they forgot or something.

We do have a warning system already in place.