Beyond Entertainment

Forum Rules Update - 03/09/14

Our forum rules have been updated today to include a new rule. Just like any other rule, failing to obey it will result it a suspension from our forums.

I. GENERAL RULES

• Users must not link to modded content for Xbox, nor should they inform others how to access it. 

We'd like to make it absolutely clear that users can still discuss modded content such as No Sprint, No Descope and various settings like Gold Pro, Promod, etc, but as of now and the foreseeable future, users will not be allowed to link to modded content. 

We understand that there are past articles and threads with URL to mods on this site, if those articles or threads become active again, the URL will be removed. Any new threads will not include a URL to download links past this point.

As always, if you see a user breaking the forum rules, we encourage you to report that post. If you are unaware of the forum rules for Beyond Entertainment, please take the time to read them here. 

Thanks for reading,
Beyond Entertainment Staff

PS: If you have any questions about the forums rules, or our forums in general, please post about it in the Support & Suggestions section.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Please remember our rules are not always set in stone, they can change as gaming changes. We wish the console community could be as open as PC gaming (for modding) but unfortunately it isn't. We respect the modding community and what they do, fell free to discuss as long as it follows the rules.

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Please remember our rules are not always set in stone, they can change as gaming changes. We wish the console community could be as open as PC gaming (for modding) but unfortunately it isn't. We respect the modding community and what they do, fell free to discuss as long as it follows the rules.

Thanks.

Ummm, any particular  reason (that can be said) for such rule ? I dont think it's  fair(even more so when there is a modding community out there)  but your forum, your rules.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You made a new rule, then deleted a thread that was made before the new rule was made? 

can u not

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Ummm, any particular  reason (that can be said) for such rule ? I dont think it's  fair(even more so when there is a modding community out there)  but your forum, your rules.

It's getting out of control at this point to be quite frank, it use to be 1 thing now we are breaking the game and we don't want to risk our community members or people stumbling across a URL on here that could get their Xbox Live account banned. Until modding is accepted by Microsoft we can't really do anything.

For those that like to jump the gun, no there wasn't pressure from 343i or MS about this.

You made a new rule, then deleted a thread that was made before the new rule was made?

Rules can change at any time, we try to keep them as fair as possible and message community members involved in the situation.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's getting out of control at this point to be quite frank, it use to be 1 thing now we are breaking the game and we don't want to risk our community members or people stumbling across a URL on here that could get their Xbox Live account banned. Until modding is accepted by Microsoft we can't really do anything.

For those that like to jump the gun, no there wasn't pressure from 343i or MS about this.

Fair  enough, avoiding any finger pointing and bad publicity to the site is always good, that being  said... Disclaimers and warnings CAN BE PUT at the very first post of those threads, that way you can just wash your hands and not have any responsibility for  dumb users, unless there is a bigger picture here that I am missing( like 343i/Microsoft telling you guys to avoid it to further continue with the relationship you guys have with them, Edit : nevermind this part as I just finished reading the whole post).

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote (+1) 1

rules are vague. if i link to a website that links to a website that links to a website, etc times infinity, and that website has information on how to access said modded content, I'm okay right.

example: i link neogaf, neogaf links waypoint, waypoint links thf, thf links to how to get modded content.

Fair  enough, avoiding any finger pointing and bad publicity to the site is always good, that being  said... Disclaimers and warnings CAN BE PUT at the very first post of those threads, that way you can just wash your hands and not have any responsibility for  dumb users, unless there is a bigger picture here that I am missing( like 343i/Microsoft telling you guys to avoid it to further continue with the relationship you guys have with them, Edit : nevermind this part as I just finished reading the whole post).

Just my 2 cents.

We feel it's best to keep it off the site.

rules are vague. if i link to a website that links to a website that links to a website, etc times infinity, and that website has information on how to access said modded content, I'm okay right.

example: i link neogaf, neogaf links waypoint, waypoint links thf, thf links to how to get modded content.

It's directly posting that's the issue, if you link NeoGAF and the member goes to another thread and stumbles across it, that's on them.

Now I'm sure someone going to try and be a smartass and push this, please don't. We will warn you and remove the link by trying some "inception" URL linking.

Someone must have gotten butthurt when they matched a modder in H3 lol

Negative.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I suppose that the rules can have different exceptions depending of the current situation in Halo/Microsoft? For example, if tomorrow MS says that they're going to support Mods and stuff... the forum rule wouldn't apply anymore, right? Also, if a modded gametype (for example, RACE) is supported by 343i, can we share/link the mod?

I suppose that the rules can have different exceptions depending of the current situation in Halo/Microsoft? For example, if tomorrow MS says that they're going to support Mods and stuff... the forum rule wouldn't apply anymore, right? Also, if a modded gametype (for example, RACE) is supported by 343i, can we share/link the mod?

The rules can change, it isn't about 343i supporting it but more of Microsoft allowing mods so memebers don't get their accounts banned.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 does support Halo 4 mods but Microsoft has an automatic banning system. People have been known to get the banhammer with those mods.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would've gone with warnings and disclaimers instead of treating all users like idiots just to have good forum/site rep. Given that this site is not 343i/MS endorsed, I see no real reason for enforcing this (in my opinion) absurd rule. But then again, your court, your rules. Just take into consideration that perhaps you are further limiting content creation in an already dying community.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unfortunate for the recent promod thread, but anyone disagreeing with the deletion of it is a bit childish. MS is strictly against modded content on their console, if we were to leave the content up they could easily shut down the forum for allowing it. Not because they created it, but because this would be an outlet to reach said content. 

Unfortunate for the recent promod thread, but anyone disagreeing with the deletion of it is a bit childish. MS is strictly against modded content on their console, if we were to leave the content up they could easily shut down the forum for allowing it. Not because they created it, but because this would be an outlet to reach said content. 

This is technically wrong.  There is no* legal venue by which they could shut down this forum, or Se7enSins or any similar forum.

*It might be a bit murky under the DMCA, but seeing as how it's not tampering with the console directly then there should be no problem. Regardless, the argument you make is exagerated.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Completely, absolutely untrue.  MS cannot shut down this forum.  The most they could do is not support the site, but I don't really think there's any affiliation to begin with.

• Upvote (+1) 2

*It might be a bit murky under the DMCA, but seeing as how it's not tampering with the console directly then there should be no problem

Better safe than sorry.

Completely, absolutely untrue.  MS cannot shut down this forum.  The most they could do is not support the site, but I don't really think there's any affiliation to begin with.

I left my response without total certainty because of the DMCA. Under that act Sony was partially sucesful in screwing GeoHotz over in the PS3 jailbreaking scandal. If Microsoft wanted to, they could MAYBE pursue a similar route with sites that share modified content for the Xbox line. As I said though, because it's not modifying the console itself, and it doesn't allow homebrew to run or anything of similar significance then there should be no cause for concern.

Better safe than sorry.

This isn't how things should work. There is no real cause for concern regarding litigation, BE shouldn't act all paranoid about it, neither should you

• Upvote (+1) 1

I left my response without total certainty because of the DMCA. Under that act Sony was partially sucesful in screwing GeoHotz over in the PS3 jailbreaking scandal. If Microsoft wanted to, they could MAYBE pursue a similar route with sites that share modified content for the Xbox line. As I said though, because it's not modifying the console itself, and it doesn't allow homebrew to run or anything of similar significance then there should be no cause for concern.

This isn't how things should work. There is no real cause for concern regarding litigation, BE shouldn't act all paranoid about it, neither should you

I respect your opinion. 

Although sadly as members; ultimately we have no say in what happens, so we should leave this here. 

Sry prom0dz

While I understand the potential long term benefits of disallowing modded content, it's a difficult decision to make.  Though I realize it's

not quite this simple, It's essentially a choice to either support the developer or support the community. 

Disallowing modded content is not an approach that I can personally get behind.  I feel that the good of the community should always be prioritized ahead of what's good for a particular website.  I tend to be very idealistic though.  Regardless, I support your right to make this decision, and I hope it works out for you guys.

The question now is... is it allowed to share modded content through PM? 

I'll be completely honest, we have no way of tracking that, no one can view your inbox but you (or those cheeky NSA dudes who clearly care about your search history). We aren't going to implement anything that searches your inbox and automatically bans you because that's an invasion to your privacy, but if you mention on the forums about PMing somebody a link to modded content (or anything that breaks our rules in fact), you will be punished. 

Note: Obviously a lot of you are upset about the removal of the Promod topic, I'd like to point out that the discussion of the settings is still allowed. The topic hasn't been deleted, just removed from normal view. oVR can feel free to send any one of us a PM and we'll bring the topic back without any links, etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 2