Sign in to follow this  
ThatTrueLegend

Halo Pros Shots

So I was thinking today about old Halo pro's shots (only H3 and HR, wasn't here for H2 :/) like Roy and APGs BR in H3, Snip3downs sniper in H3, and Formals sniper in HR. Of course there were other pros with unbelievable shots, but those are the ones I remember most. So I was thinking, were there shots/are there shots skill? Natural talent? Or a mix of both? Like why were there shots so good and consistent compared to a lot of other competitiors? What keeps people from not getting there shots as good as there's?

Just something I was thinking about randomly today... Discuss. :p

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like everything else, they were a mix of both. I would add confidence in though. Karma said confidence was the most important thing in 06 and he's still right. Strong side was the most talented player I've seen play Halo in 07 during H2. Everyone in the top 8 was pretty incredibly good at that point because of the number of teams and hours people put in, but if you were around then, you know he dominated like no one else that season. His slaying was just perfection and his stats reflected it most games. He had a flawless shot and it was a mix of raw talent, insane practice, and absolute confidence.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would consider myself as one of those who worked to get a decent shot. What helps me keep that shot is confidence like Velo mentioned. I'll catch myself missing shots and I'll think to myself "why am I missing I know I'm capable of hitting my target" once I recognize that I start shooting back to my normal self.

Nerves and that can really get to you and something that not a lot of people consider is how these guys play that well in front of a crowd. Fuck I get nervous in 1v1s after talking a bunch of shit with my friends nvm playing in front of a huge crowd for money on the line.

• Upvote (+1) 1

smoke a bowl of bud and run mlg, hit snipes like snipedown. simple. Br is a different story. Just practice and try not to choke

• Upvote (+1) 2

Connection if it's Halo 3 online. You have no idea how many kids made a name for themselves without deserving it just because their connection was crisp as hell, where like amazing talent from like Australia for instance gets shut down because bad connection frustrates people.

3225037003.png

I know I could EASILY get twice the kills I'm getting if I had the average connection pros have, or at least the upload speed. I'm not just talking out of my ass either. I drop blood shoots like a girl on period, and bullets register on me just fine (and around corners) because the download isn't that bad, and if the person I'm shooting isn't 80% exposed from cover, MY shots don't damage at all.

And as unfortunate as it is, you had to overcome the kind of "online qualification" AKA proving yourself to ever had a chance to get into pros' games and make it at LANs.

On a game with a decent netcode / connection, all you need to do is to be so ruthless and aggressive that it throws people off their game, and this is the confidence aspect Karma is talking about. You just need to jump in someone's face and give them an unfamiliar strafe. If your aim is good / practiced enough to keep up with your movements, you're set. You get a few kills in, a spree, a multikill, and it just snowballs from there because of confidence.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Connection if it's Halo 3 online. You have no idea how many kids made a name for themselves without deserving it just because their connection was crisp as hell, where like amazing talent from like Australia for instance gets shut down because bad connection frustrates people.

3225037003.png

I know I could EASILY get twice the kills I'm getting if I had the average connection pros have, or at least the upload speed. I'm not just talking out of my ass either. I drop blood shoots like a girl on period, and bullets register on me just fine (and around corners) because the download isn't that bad, and if the person I'm shooting isn't 80% exposed from cover, MY shots don't damage at all.

And as unfortunate as it is, you had to overcome the kind of "online qualification" AKA proving yourself to ever had a chance to get into pros' games and make it at LANs.

On a game with a decent netcode / connection, all you need to do is to be so ruthless and aggressive that it throws people off their game, and this is the confidence aspect Karma is talking about. You just need to jump in someone's face and give them an unfamiliar strafe. If your aim is good / practiced enough to keep up with your movements, you're set. You get a few kills in, a spree, a multikill, and it just snowballs from there because of confidence.

Yes because players are going to fly from Australia for an MLG event...

and get 17th. (Frenetic Array) Upsetting 2 pro seeded teams.

Connection and confidence aside.....I find my shot is always better against better players. When I know that it is life or death that I make those shots. But when I'm playing lesser skilled opponents or people I don't know I usually slack off and miss horribly.

What most people don't realize about the top players like Snipedown and Formal who just slay everything is that it is their job to not miss. While 3/4's of their team is focused on good objective work, communicating their asses off, setting up good pushes and making game changing plays, the main slayers are staying alive and giving their team perfect opportunities all over the map. They are 100 percent focused on clutching it big time with snipe or the final shot with BR. 

I would consider myself as one of those who worked to get a decent shot. What helps me keep that shot is confidence like Velo mentioned. I'll catch myself missing shots and I'll think to myself "why am I missing I know I'm capable of hitting my target" once I recognize that I start shooting back to my normal self.

But nowadays, miss one shot, and ya basically are introduced to the respawn screen, if you get what I mean :(

Connection and confidence aside.....I find my shot is always better against better players. When I know that it is life or death that I make those shots. But when I'm playing lesser skilled opponents or people I don't know I usually slack off and miss horribly.

What most people don't realize about the top players like Snipedown and Formal who just slay everything is that it is their job to not miss. While 3/4's of their team is focused on good objective work, communicating their asses off, setting up good pushes and making game changing plays, the main slayers are staying alive and giving their team perfect opportunities all over the map. They are 100 percent focused on clutching it big time with snipe or the final shot with BR.

You all made good points.

But that's interesting, I never thought of that concept. Is that why Formal and Snip3down don't call out as much as their teammates (as far as I remember at least) cause they're more focused on their aim and listening? O.o

Team Immunity (with Ogre 1) got 9th at MLG Dallas for Halo 4, only playing the game 2 days before the comp whereas many of the teams from the states had been playing for two weeks.

Sacrifice a chicken before every game-kidding. I would think mostly practice, drive to get better, and confidence. In my opinion talent is the combination of all of these.

Well don't slayers sometimes watch the objective in a flag or oddball game. Or stay near the objective in a game like KOTH. Or do slayers mainly predict spawns and kill anyone in their path?

smoke a bowl of bud and run mlg, hit snipes like snipedown. simple. Br is a different story. Just practice and try not to choke

Nice try Karma, but for real tho, there are magic in trees. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

no body mentions rhythm

when you get in the zone, you are playing in a state where you control everything. When you one with the flow of the game, whether you are a predictive sniper, QS'er or setup sniper when you get warmed up and hit that threshold you get great shots.

I think some people are more inclined or have a better feel for that "zone"

thats my hippie interpretation anyway coming from someone who played tons of sports and has a natural athletic ability that seems to translate well to shooters.

Team Immunity (with Ogre 1) got 9th at MLG Dallas for Halo 4, only playing the game 2 days before the comp whereas many of the teams from the states had been playing for two weeks.

Its Ogre 1 he could give my 7 month year old nephew a controller and still place. 

You all made good points.

But that's interesting, I never thought of that concept. Is that why Formal and Snip3down don't call out as much as their teammates (as far as I remember at least) cause they're more focused on their aim and listening? O.o

Precisely. There is a lot to think about as a slayer. I find it easier to communicate when I focus on OBJ

@ II Castle

Fun fact: Immunity with Ogre 1 pre LANed against MindFreak back in Aus on their modded consoles before heading off to America for MLG Dallas H4. AU Pro scene insider knowledge :ph34r:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree, I snipe better when out of it