Sign in to follow this  
RandyROFLSTOMP

Objectives in Slayer

Spawn killing is a viable strategy to win once a team has the lead. Why doesn't one team just spawnkill for the rest of the game once they are up by one flag cap?

Because you don't get points for it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because you don't get points for it.

Or the fact that they have to leave their power position every so often in order to secure spawning power items which allows the trapped team a chance to push out.

Is this a competitive gametype? Or regular one. If competitive what maps do you see this working on?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this a competitive gametype? Or regular one. If competitive what maps do you see this working on?

Symmetric CTF maps like Pit and Narrows. Sanctuary could work. I don't see it working as well on Midships like Simplex or Onyx because of how open they are, especially flag to flag. I think this gametype needs a bit of segmentation across mid for optimal results.

Or the fact that they have to leave their power position every so often in order to secure spawning power items which allows the trapped team a chance to push out.

What the fuck are you talking about "power positions"?

If one team can NEVER SPAWN BEHIND YOU then an entire half of the map is a "power position."

The only thing that prevents this strategy in CTF is the desire to cap the flag. Take away that requirement and there's no reason to put your team in a vulnerable position. Players in CTF often go negative on K/D, because you can't win the game without capping. If you can win the game without capping... why do anything risky?

You need to think how asshats and douchebags would play a gametype. This is why I think hiring "pros" as testers is stupid. I would hire Hidden League gamers and objective K/D boosters and boltshot campers first. Think like an asshole would think - someone who doesn't give a shit about the competitive merit of the gametype and just wants to manipulate a win in the gayest way possible.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If one team can NEVER SPAWN BEHIND YOU then an entire half of the map is a "power position."

The only thing that prevents this strategy in CTF is the desire to cap the flag. Take away that requirement and there's no reason to put your team in a vulnerable position. Players in CTF often go negative on K/D, because you can't win the game without capping. If you can win the game without capping... why do anything risky?

You need to think how asshats and douchebags would play a gametype. This is why I think hiring "pros" as testers is stupid. I would hire Hidden League gamers and objective K/D boosters and boltshot campers first. Think like an asshole would think - someone who doesn't give a shit about the competitive merit of the gametype and just wants to manipulate a win in the gayest way possible.

Read this my friend. 

jeromesix: "Hey guys, this gametype is broken, just camp in our base and we will get the win"

teammates: "OKAY!"

*entire team gets wiped out of their own base b/c enemy has rockets

*enemy proceeds to score the flag

jeromesix: "well shit..... looks like we have to go kill them and/or capture their flag"

teammates: "YA THINK??!!"

*enemy is already up 1 cap and a few kills, they have total map control at this point

jackie-chan-meme1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@jeromesix

You don't really seem to have a firm grasp on how spawning works. There are spawn points located outside the enemy base. Maps are pretty much divided 50/50 unless a neutral center area exists. Spawn trapping is easier with static spawns but you are by no means going to sit with your reticle on one doorway and rack up kills. If what you were saying was true then once a team had the lead, and map control, a CTF game would be over. This isn't the case as can be witnessed by all the CTF comeback games out there.

It is funny how your arguments changed from "I'll never leave my base" to "I'll never let them leave their base."

I would argue you do not have a firm grasp either. In halo 4 spawn trapping the enemy in their base is too easy.

Spawn killing is a viable strategy to win once a team has the lead. Why doesn't one team just spawnkill for the rest of the game once they are up by one flag cap?

For the same reason you don't. People don't know how to pull it off or they don't have teammates who want to. Go read my article on the subject and you will see how freaking easy it is in ragnarok.

And I chose ragnarok as a teaching guide to show the principle, the concepts. They apply to every map. Ragnarok was an open field to better demonstrate with.

RagnarokTrap_zpsf73f7bf1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@RandyROFLSTOMP & @@jeromesix

C'mon guys, chill with the names. My only opinion about this is that if it's a serious gametype, there should be futher testing and see what the general opinions are. Combining two classic gametypes is kind of rare and unbalanced from my perspective. It's like King of the Hill with Assault. Or Oddball with Extraction. Interesting but serious enough to be competitive? Test it. 

Slayer and objective exist as separate entities to showcase different team skills. 

Combining them makes every other gametype immediately obsolete. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Edit. I guess I missunderstood your post.

You don't seem to understand what a power position is. P3 on Heretic is a power position. S3 on Guardian is a power position. The highest places on the map usually located mid map are power positions.

I took what he said as dominating over half the map gives you huge advantages. I think to assume he doesn't understand what a power position is makes for a shallow reply and side tracks the topic altogether.

I took what he said as dominating over half the map gives you huge advantages. I think to assume he doesn't understand what a power position is makes for a shallow reply and side tracks the topic altogether.

Probably

Dont we have seperate gamtypes to showcase different team skill sets in each of those gamtypes? Wouldn't combining those 2 gamtypes make the seperate gametypes obsolete? Leaving us with half as many gamtypes to play in a series thats slowly been removing competitive gametypes as the series has moved forward?

Why would anyone want that to continue...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I  happened across this,

Listen for 10 seconds or so. Clicked points out what I've been saying all along - because of static spawns in CTF, spawn killing is very possible and likely. In fact, it's what your teammates are expected to do if you're running flag. Not just slaying but spawn killing.

Never played this 2-flag deal before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I´m guessing it wouldn't have anymore competitive merit than CTF, but it sounds good.