Sign in to follow this  
RandyROFLSTOMP

Objectives in Slayer

"is arguably the most competitive gametype that Halo has ever seen" That's quite a statement, specially when I personally never seen that gametype being used in a tournament. I might be wrong tho..

CTF is arguably the most competitive Halo gametype. CTF that also punishes dying only bolsters that competitiveness IMO. Not every enemy death results in a flag cap for your team. 2-Flag Slayer makes those deaths mean something more than they do in classic CTF.

Is it better than traditional objective though? To me it seems like a focus on a particular way of a winning where teams have shown in the past that straightforward 'slay to win' isn't always the best means of getting the job done.

It adds more depth to the gametype.

Like I mentioned, if the score for flag cap is 25 then slaying wont be the best means of winning. In a 10 minute CTF game a good team will have 60 kills or so. They still need to score 2 times at least (100). The element of scoring points for kills is complementary to the objective of scoring b/c it allows for more tactics to emerge within the same structure of the gameplay.

People wont stop going for the objective all of a sudden now that they can slay. Its just another factor.

In CTF games slaying is always an "invisible" objective b/c by out slaying the enemy it allows for more map control in turn allowing for better pulling the flag. 

There is merit and skill to traditional scoring CTF, dont get me wrong. But just b/c Flag Slayer is different doesnt make it instantly inferior. There is a lot of competitive merit in having every death count against the "actual" score instead of the "invisible" one.

The dynamic of the scoring increases the pace of the matches b/c an instance of a team being in the lead by 1 or 2 caps can no longer just sit back and stop the other team from pulling the flag. The losing team can put up a solid offense and not necessarily score 2 times to cover the difference/gain the lead. Instead they can tally up 25 points in kills in the process of scoring 1 flag. This adds much more pressure on offense in general b/c you get punished more for over extending and making bad plays.

Basically, the penalty of death is greater and anything that adds to the skill is more competitive no?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flag slayer sounds like it could be campy as shit. Why try and cap a flag when you can just have the whole team play defense and win on kills? You might say "yeah but captures get more points - so go do that."  But the other team is thinking they need to cap and play defense, so they're splitting the team to do both and my guys are just camping the shit out of our base or any possible PUs/Rocks/Snipe.

If you could win a hockey game without ever scoring a goal - why not have every person play goalie? If the other team doesn't do that then they're always outnumbered when they come on your side of the ice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flag slayer sounds like it could be campy as shit. Why try and cap a flag when you can just have the whole team play defense and win on kills? You might say "yeah but captures get more points - so go do that." But the other team is thinking they need to cap and play defense, so they're splitting the team to do both and my guys are just camping the shit out of our base or any possible PUs/Rocks/Snipe.

If you could win a hockey game without ever scoring a goal - why not have every person play goalie? If the other team doesn't do that then they're always outnumbered when they come on your side of the ice.

Because there are zero reasons to push up without a flag to cap right?

Because there are zero reasons to push up without a flag to cap right?

Not what I said. But there are zero reasons to push when an outnumbered enemy continually pushes towards you. Why roam when you can get it at home?

It would be like firefight on Holdout, just stay in the room and let the morons funnel in.

Not what I said. But there are zero reasons to push when an outnumbered enemy continually pushes towards you. Why roam when you can get it at home?

Power items

Power positions

Not having the enemy be right on top of your flag if they do kill you

Power items

Power positions

Not having the enemy be right on top of your flag if they do kill you

1) I mentioned that

2) Base is a power position if the enemy keeps coming directly at you, usually outnumbered

3) How did they kill all 4 of you? Unless all 4 of them rush - in which case you'll spawn in their base because all 4 of them are in yours - in which case you get a flag cap too.

Dumb.

• Downvote (-1) 3

3) How did they kill all 4 of you? Unless all 4 of them rush - in which case you'll spawn in their base because all 4 of them are in yours - in which case you get a flag cap too.

Dumb.

Flag gametypes have static spawns...in games other than Halo 4.

Dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flag gametypes have static spawns...in games other than Halo 4.

Dumb.

A game where you get points for slaying... sounds like a slayer gametype to me.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Does spawning the enemy team on top of your flag sound like a good idea?

No, but neither does objectives in slayer, or static spawn in slayer, or dual wielding promethean melee weapons, or perks as on map armor-mod pickups.

You're in a bad position to say something isn't a "good idea."

• Downvote (-1) 3

No

So now that you are no longer thinking that pushing out of your base will cause the enemy team to spawn there do you still believe there is no incentive to push out of your base in 2-Flag Slayer with power items and power positions located on the map outside of your base?

So now that you are no longer thinking that pushing out of your base will cause the enemy team to spawn there do you still believe there is no incentive to push out of your base in 2-Flag Slayer with power items and power positions located on the map outside of your base?

Did you read a single one of my posts? Where are you getting this shit?

I forgot the #1 rule of the internet - Don't feed the trolls.

• Downvote (-1) 3

there are zero reasons to push when an outnumbered enemy continually pushes towards you. Why roam when you can get it at home?

It would be like firefight on Holdout, just stay in the room and let the morons funnel in.

Base is a power position if the enemy keeps coming directly at you, usually outnumbered

How did they kill all 4 of you? Unless all 4 of them rush - in which case you'll spawn in their base because all 4 of them are in yours - in which case you get a flag cap too.

Your argument consists of "there is no reason to push because the uncoordinated enemies will feed us kills by running in one at a time" and "there is no reason to push because if my team pushes out the enemy team will spawn in my base".

Now that you understand that the gametype uses static spawns, and let's pretend the enemy team is not so uncoordinated as to feed you free kills all game, do you still believe that there is no reason to push out of your base in 2-Flag Slayer even when power items and power positions are located outside of your base?

I have my doubts about this gametype, too. But you gotta keep an open mind about it. This could turn out to be good after testing and tweaking around the point values for capping and kills.

Its a great idea IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Your argument consists of "there is no reason to push because the uncoordinated enemies will feed us kills by running in one at a time" and "there is no reason to push because if my team pushes out the enemy team will spawn in my base".

Now that you understand that the gametype uses static spawns, and let's pretend the enemy team is not so uncoordinated as to feed you free kills all game, do you still believe that there is no reason to push out of your base in 2-Flag Slayer even when power items and power positions are located outside of your base?

I never said the reason not to push was that they would spawn in my base.

BUT! Read the fucking heading on the thread "OBJECTIVES IN SLAYER"

No static spawns in a slayer gametype.

BUT! if there were static spawns then even fucking better. I'll just guard the exits to their base, have full access to power-ups and never let them leave. Now you know why there isn't static spawns in slayer. My team won't ever risk pushing for flag because it would screw up the lock we could get by spawn-trapping them in the base while having freedom to grab OS and Rocks.

I never said the reason not to push was that they would spawn in my base.

BUT! Read the fucking heading on the thread "OBJECTIVES IN SLAYER"

No static spawns in a slayer gametype.

BUT! if there were static spawns then even fucking better. I'll just guard the exits to their base, have full access to power-ups and never let them leave. Now you know why there isn't static spawns in slayer. My team won't ever risk pushing for flag because it would screw up the lock we could get by spawn-trapping them in the base while having freedom to grab OS and Rocks.

That will be the case if the flag cap isn't of a high enough value in comparison to kills. Its dependent on how much caps and kills are worth. I also think its assumed that spawns are going to be on your own side when CTF is involved, even when slayer is thrown in there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@jeromesix

You don't really seem to have a firm grasp on how spawning works. There are spawn points located outside the enemy base. Maps are pretty much divided 50/50 unless a neutral center area exists. Spawn trapping is easier with static spawns but you are by no means going to sit with your reticle on one doorway and rack up kills. If what you were saying was true then once a team had the lead, and map control, a CTF game would be over. This isn't the case as can be witnessed by all the CTF comeback games out there.

It is funny how your arguments changed from "I'll never leave my base" to "I'll never let them leave their base."

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@jeromesix

You don't really seem to have a firm grasp on how spawning works. There are spawn points located outside the enemy base. Maps are pretty much divided 50/50 unless a neutral center area exists. Spawn trapping is easier with static spawns but you are by no means going to sit with your reticle on one doorway and rack up kills. If what you were saying was true then once a team had the lead, and map control, a CTF game would be over. This isn't the case as can be witnessed by all the CTF comeback games out there.

It is funny how your arguments changed from "I'll never leave my base" to "I'll never let them leave their base."

No, it isn't funny - one assumes a dynamic-spawn game and the other assumes static-spawns.

It's funny how you don't get that though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, it isn't funny - one assumes a dynamic-spawn game and the other assumes static-spawns.

It's funny how you don't get that though.

If what you are claiming, about static spawns creating an unbreakable spawn trap, is true then every CTF game would be filled with spawn killing which they aren't when teams are of comparable skill levels. Do you agree that spawn killing in CTF is not a rampant issue when teams of similar skill are matched?

I have my doubts about this gametype, too. But you gotta keep an open mind about it. This could turn out to be good after testing and tweaking around the point values for capping and kills.

Its a great idea IMO.

Sorry man. Meant to + rep you but missed :(

Flag slayer sounds like it could be campy as shit. Why try and cap a flag when you can just have the whole team play defense and win on kills? You might say "yeah but captures get more points - so go do that."  But the other team is thinking they need to cap and play defense, so they're splitting the team to do both and my guys are just camping the shit out of our base or any possible PUs/Rocks/Snipe.

jeromesix: "Hey guys, this gametype is broken, just camp in our base and we will get the win"

teammates: "OKAY!"

*entire team gets wiped out of their own base b/c enemy has rockets

*enemy proceeds to score the flag

jeromesix: "well shit..... looks like we have to go kill them and/or capture their flag"

teammates: "YA THINK??!!"

*enemy is already up 1 cap and a few kills, they have total map control at this point

jackie-chan-meme1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If what you are claiming, about static spawns creating an unbreakable spawn trap, is true then every CTF game would be filled with spawn killing which they aren't when teams are of comparable skill levels. Do you agree that spawn killing in CTF is not a rampant issue when teams of similar skill are matched?

It's not an rampant issue because you don't get points for kills in CTF.

It would be an issue if that was a viable strategy to win.

It's not an rampant issue because you don't get points for kills in CTF.

It would be an issue if that was a viable strategy to win.

Spawn killing is a viable strategy to win once a team has the lead. Why doesn't one team just spawnkill for the rest of the game once they are up by one flag cap?