Sign in to follow this  
Proven

A new Era of Multiplayer, is traditional MP fading?

I saw this video from Rev3games and Adam Sessler, and it really intrigued me....

Is the "next gen" era of multiplayer going to be focused on events and community, rather than small/focused arena type games and individual achievements? It seems like the typical 4v4 or 6v6 arena shooter is a thing of the past. Now I know this is a Halo based community, and I agree that Halo only works as a 4v4 arena, not what it has been over the past two years. But even if the game returns to what it was will it still be fun to play? ,or is everyone just living in a euphoric state when they talk about Halo and the days of real Multiplayer games... Discuss what you think.

Yes, it will still be fun to play. The problem is, we need a big franchise, like Halo, to rejuvenate the interest in 4v4 Arena type gameplay. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fading, somewhat yes but I don't think that it will disappear anywhere in the near future. Traditional MP needs some innovation though

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was just thinking about how much I miss X-Play the other day. There's not a lot of game reviews/insight that Adam Sessler gives that I disagree with. 

Destiny will be more-so the "the new era of MP" than Titanfall a competitive MP only FPS. From playing the beta, yea the bots and mechs are something new, but the general game-play was still traditional MP style. Grand "single-player" experiences in MP and story is not what Titanfall is shooting for IMO. Destiny will be the first "test" in my opinion, if MP will become focused on grand experiences and social worlds rather than waiting on MM ques with friends in lobbies.

My prediction: Games like CoD, BF, and Halo will continue to dominate the MP charts because they offer fast, easy, and competitive MP matches with no real need for tutorials or background. The beauty of that experience is no matter who you are or how much time you have for games, you can still hop on those games and have some fun and get a thrill out of sticking it to the enemy team and bonding with your team-ates. The social aspect of traditional MP is optional, but still hugely important.