Sign in to follow this  
KevinKlutch

What makes someone a "Professional Gamer"?

Iv been wondering this for a while because there isnt a set definition. To be a pro gamer does one just need to get payed and or have a sponsor regardless of their skill? Or is a pro someone who goes to tournaments and wins against the best of the best in that game? It could be both but what sparked this topic for me was that alot of people could be considered pro gamers if you say all they need is a sponsor because anyone can get one. For instance Mrs Violence claims to be a pro gamer but hasnt won any MLG tournaments or any other big name tournaments (looked on google and i see nothing about her placings) and can mostly be seen playing Cod casuals. She has sponsors and is payed but is she a pro gamer? On the other hand we have players who attend events have sponsors, win tournaments, and have the placings to back it up. I would consider them to be the professionals but what do you think? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone who can make a living off of it.

This. When i think of the word professional i think of someone getting paid to do something. So regardless skill you can be a pro at playing games.

This. When i think of the word professional i think of someone getting paid to do something. So regardless skill you can be a pro at playing games.

Dont like that definition for pro gaming, its not developed enough yet to where money from tournaments/leagues can actually pay the majority of pro players enough to make a living off of it. It also excludes older/hardcore games with smaller audiences, is the Quake Live player playing for a smaller prize pool with a niche audience less of a "professional" than the pro's playing CoD and LoL? I think the word "professional" for e-sports is mis-leading as well because competitive gaming is not a long-term profession or one in which you retire rich like real professional sport leagues.

Professional gamer to me means you are on a top player/team in that game and you make money off it, the amount of money in that game does not matter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dont like that definition for pro gaming, its not developed enough yet to where money from tournaments/leagues can actually pay the majority of pro players enough to make a living off of it. It also excludes older/hardcore games with smaller audiences, is the Quake Live player playing for a smaller prize pool with a niche audience less of a "professional" than the pro's playing CoD and LoL? I think the word "professional" for e-sports is mis-leading as well because competitive gaming is not a long-term profession or one in which you retire rich like real professional sport leagues.

Professional gamer to me means you are on a top player/team in that game and you make money off it, the amount of money in that game does not matter.

Your only looking at it from a competitive standpoint. There are people who make money off of making YouTube videos and streaming from twitch. There has to be a cut off point somewhere. Just because someone wins a goldpro 2v2 tournament doesn't make them a pro. I can agree with esports still being in its infancy and not being able to provide a living for its Pros but at some point the amount of money someone can make off a video game is what determines professional status.

Just because someone wins a goldpro 2v2 tournament doesn't make them a pro.

Yes it fucking does

• Upvote (+1) 1

Your only looking at it from a competitive standpoint. There are people who make money off of making YouTube videos and streaming from twitch. There has to be a cut off point somewhere. Just because someone wins a goldpro 2v2 tournament doesn't make them a pro. I can agree with esports still being in its infancy and not being able to provide a living for its Pros but at some point the amount of money someone can make off a video game is what determines professional status.

Does Winning a Goldpro tournament or a minor tournament like that make you a top player/team in that game? I dont think so. I am not saying ANYONE who makes money off locals or tournaments is a pro gamer, but if your a top player/team in that game(proven in major tournaments) AND you make money from tournaments/sponsors that is a pro gamer to me. I dont think "making a living" off competing is a reality for most of the so called "pro gamers",  many top Quake players still call it a hobby. Which makes the "making a living definition" a poor one for the state of professional gaming, that is not yet the standard for which pro gamers should be measured by when only 5-10 percent do make a living off tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does Winning a Goldpro tournament or a minor tournament like that make you a top player/team in that game? 

The last Gold Pro winners already recieved a 5 figure sponsorship deal and an article in Time Magazines "men of the year" article.

Coming from a former English teacher, any debate revolving around what a word means drives me up the wall. All about context people.

It tells you in the dictionary what a professional. It's not really an opinion or much of a debate.