Joseph

Halo Problems

Halo Issues  

274 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD SPRINT/FLINCH STAY IN HALO?

• Yes, both mechanics belong in Halo.
    • Sprint belongs, but Flinch should be taken out.
    • Flinch belongs, but Sprint should be taken out.
    • No, neither mechanic belongs in Halo.

I think a lot of people are not at and never will be at their depth of game play where every single step is key to winning.

This, this I have a problem with. This may be true for players at the lower end of the food chain, but it's not their fault that every step doesn't matter; it's the game's.

When you introduce sprint, you simultaneously decrease the base movement speed in order to maintain the pace of the game. That means players automatically have a lesser chance of dodging bullets by strafing. Once you get past a certain level, which isn't very high in Halo 4, the ability to sprint away is more advantageous than the ability to challenge your opponent. Every time you sprint away, you accept defeat, not victory, in that battle.

Is sprint the only reason for this severe problem? No, but it compounds it and often is the reason for things that contribute to it. Shield recharge, magnetism, base movement, acceleration, map design. All these things are tied to sprint and try to fix sprint, but they end up only aggravating the problem. Watch the Halo 4 GC final again and pay attention to how much the best players in the game sprint away from each other because it is more effective than challenging. It's painful.

A single step matters, or it should matter, when it comes to winning or losing not only a match but every single encounter at every level.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I blame the lack of new Halo news. Once we get to April/June, then I think H4 will stop being mentioned entirely (I hope).

Lack of news? This is like sitting around all day watching soaps. Wouldn't going out the front door be healthier?

Coachmayyne preaching the truth... why is he getting neg'd for?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Coachmayyne preaching the truth... why is he getting neg'd for?

Because he should be the last person making those types of posts.

why is that. 

Because Kids here are  :salt: that I talked shit about Halo4 and 343 for months and predicted the Fall of Halo4. Yet, I got to meet 343 last year at H4GC. Certain staff members at 343 and I had a great discussion regarding Halo4 and their future projects.  Check my "Halo story/Blog" on it here http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2841-my-thoughts-on-h4gc/

The fact that post got +14 shows how Salty ppl are. I could care less about getting -neg on an internet forum.  

No it's because you're egotistical and no one likes you.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Come on guys, this is not the best time to fight against each other, I mean yeah I like to mess around with people and even with CM, but I don't think this is the best time to go around and callout anyone. Maybe not many people like him, but I'm not denying either that he got off the Hype train and said 'Yeah, Halo 4 ain't gonna do it for me'.

My point: Let's all hold hands and chill, if Halo 5 or Halo 2 Anniversary is awesome, we can all chill and enjoy a party with barbecue and shit. If the game is not, let's all throw rocks and bring torches to 343i's main office.

C'Mon people! WE NEED EACH OTHER! WE'RE THE ONLY HOPE FOR THIS MESS! OR MEXICANS WILL INVADE OUR HOST, OUR PEOPLE, OUR CHILDREN... WE NEED TO STAY TOGETHER.

why is that.

Because Kids here are :salt: that I talked shit about Halo4 and 343 for months and predicted the Fall of Halo4. Yet, I got to meet 343 last year at H4GC. Certain staff members at 343 and I had a great discussion regarding Halo4 and their future projects. Check my "Halo story/Blog" on it here http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2841-my-thoughts-on-h4gc/

The fact that post got +14 shows how Salty ppl are. I could care less about getting -neg on an internet forum.

Because all you do is post the same chart and HaloisDAD. So telling other people to stop doing what you do makes you a hypocrite.

But hey what do I know.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I talked shit about Halo4 and 343 for months and predicted the Fall of Halo4. 

STHAP

• Upvote (+1) 3

Come on guys, this is not the best time to fight against each other, I mean yeah I like to mess around with people and even with CM, but I don't think this is the best time to go around and callout anyone. Maybe not many people like him, but I'm not denying either that he got off the Hype train and said 'Yeah, Halo 4 ain't gonna do it for me'.

My point: Let's all hold hands and chill, if Halo 5 or Halo 2 Anniversary is awesome, we can all chill and enjoy a party with barbecue and shit. If the game is not, let's all throw rocks and bring torches to 343i's main office.

C'Mon people! WE NEED EACH OTHER! WE'RE THE ONLY HOPE FOR THIS MESS! OR MEXICANS WILL INVADE OUR HOST, OUR PEOPLE, OUR CHILDREN... WE NEED TO STAY TOGETHER.

1 v 1

This, this I have a problem with. This may be true for players at the lower end of the food chain, but it's not their fault that every step doesn't matter; it's the game's.

When you introduce sprint, you simultaneously decrease the base movement speed in order to maintain the pace of the game. That means players automatically have a lesser chance of dodging bullets by strafing. Once you get past a certain level, which isn't very high in Halo 4, the ability to sprint away is more advantageous than the ability to challenge your opponent. Every time you sprint away, you accept defeat, not victory, in that battle.

Is sprint the only reason for this severe problem? No, but it compounds it and often is the reason for things that contribute to it. Shield recharge, magnetism, base movement, acceleration, map design. All these things are tied to sprint and try to fix sprint, but they end up only aggravating the problem. Watch the Halo 4 GC final again and pay attention to how much the best players in the game sprint away from each other because it is more effective than challenging. It's painful.

A single step matters, or it should matter, when it comes to winning or losing not only a match but every single encounter at every level.

Again your mind literally thinks differently than those of many others. You love the challenge of thinking through every millisecond decision in game play. Most play for fun.

If we were talking about football, you would likely be one of those who would make it to training camp, be miserable in the snow, have a body that was hurting, but would kill for a permanent position on the team that season. Do you see how small of a minority you ate part of?

Literally watching and thinking how to capitalize on each and every step the opponent takes is just mind numbing for most players (read that paying customers) .

• Downvote (-1) 1

Again your mind literally thinks differently than those of many others. You love the challenge of thinking through every millisecond decision in game play. Most play for fun.

If we were talking about football, you would likely be one of those who would make it to training camp, be miserable in the snow, have a body that was hurting, but would kill for a permanent position on the team that season. Do you see how small of a minority you ate part of?

Literally watching and thinking how to capitalize on each and every step the opponent takes is just mind numbing for most players (read that paying customers) .

They aren't required to think about playing if they don't want to! The matchmaking system will pair them with like-minded people who just want to "have fun." But if the ultimate goal is for all players to have fun, then pointless mechanics like sprint shouldn't punish players who actually care about the game and want to win.

Also, I challenge the idea of the so-called "casual player." No one likes losing. The thing is, Halo 4's random, easy nature makes it pointless for many to even try to win. There are so many uncontrollable aspects of the game that it would be "mind-numbing" for anyone to try to make every action count towards the win. You can barely control if the enemy hits you because of the strafe combined with bullet magnetism and the easiness of burst-fire headshots. You cannot control what weapons people call down from the sky. You cannot control the enemy's ability to see you when you hold the flag. Give players a competitive, skillful game (even when it comes to BTB and Invasion), and they will want to win, no matter their skill level or past experiences with Halo and other games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They aren't required to think about playing if they don't want to! The matchmaking system will pair them with like-minded people who just want to "have fun." But if the ultimate goal is for all players to have fun, then pointless mechanics like sprint shouldn't punish players who actually care about the game and want to win.

Also, I challenge the idea of the so-called "casual player." No one likes losing. The thing is, Halo 4's random, easy nature makes it pointless for many to even try to win. There are so many uncontrollable aspects of the game that it would be "mind-numbing" for anyone to try to make every action count towards the win. You can barely control if the enemy hits you because of the strafe combined with bullet magnetism and the easiness of burst-fire headshots. You cannot control what weapons people call down from the sky. You cannot control the enemy's ability to see you when you hold the flag. Give players a competitive, skillful game (even when it comes to BTB and Invasion), and they will want to win, no matter their skill level or past experiences with Halo and other games.

Redefining casual to make your point won't work. I am casual and I always want to win. Anyone who has read through these forums understands all too well that casual is merely a contrast to hardcore competitive.

why is that. 

Because Kids here are  :salt: that I talked shit about Halo4 and 343 for months and predicted the Fall of Halo4. Yet, I got to meet 343 last year at H4GC. Certain staff members at 343 and I had a great discussion regarding Halo4 and their future projects.  Check my "Halo story/Blog" on it here http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2841-my-thoughts-on-h4gc/

And yet you still receive it.

OT I can't think of much more to say about Halo's failures and its success. To me it's overkill until the next title, if it's a beta then I'm really impressed by 343. 

Am I the only guy bothered with the armor? I mean, I know the game mechanics are important and all, but... damn... It's like I'm playing Crysis. Woudln't mind going back to the old school armor, or at least a more simple armor design.

Am I the only guy bothered with the armor? I mean, I know the game mechanics are important and all, but... damn... It's like I'm playing Crysis. Woudln't mind going back to the old school armor, or at least a more simple armor design.

The colors are what bother me. I miss the vibrant, colorful red and blue teams.

Maps too for that matter. It's crazy that Halo 3 is more appealing to look at than Halo 4 and it's 5 years older

• Upvote (+1) 3

When Halo 4 came out I REALLY enjoyed the armor coming from Reach. Reach was just ridiculous, the term "Refrigerator Spartan" was thrown around so much that I couldn't stop seeing it whenever I saw someone using that really bulky chest piece with the Emile shoulders (which was everyone...).

I like how the armor is slimmer in Halo 4 and sleek, however I would say that some of the crazy designs that don't seem functional whatsoever (Here's looking at you, Wetwork...) shouldn't stick around. The issue of hitboxes comes into play with customizable armor unfortunately. About the only thing in Halo 3 you could tell was different at a glance was the helmet of a spartan. You could say armor is more distinct in Halo 4, but the color palettes tend to drown it all out.

I agree that more vibrant color schemes would work well to distinguish armor going into Halo 5. That being said, let's not forget that most people just put all black/grey everything because they think it looks cool. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

When Halo 4 came out I REALLY enjoyed the armor coming from Reach. Reach was just ridiculous, the term "Refrigerator Spartan" was thrown around so much that I couldn't stop seeing it whenever I saw someone using that really bulky chest piece with the Emile shoulders (which was everyone...).

I like how the armor is slimmer in Halo 4 and sleek, however I would say that some of the crazy designs that don't seem functional whatsoever (Here's looking at you, Wetwork...) shouldn't stick around. The issue of hitboxes comes into play with customizable armor unfortunately. About the only thing in Halo 3 you could tell was different at a glance was the helmet of a spartan. You could say armor is more distinct in Halo 4, but the color palettes tend to drown it all out.

I agree that more vibrant color schemes would work well to distinguish armor going into Halo 5. That being said, let's not forget that most people just put all black/grey everything because they think it looks cool. 

The color in H4 was miles above Reach (wasn't that hard to accomplish tbh), but the design of the armor in both games isn't great. As you said, the Reach armor was bulky and the H4 armor didn't fit with the series. If I saw some of H4's armor not knowing it was Halo, I would have thought it was a Japanese game. The H3 armor was the best, by far (even though it was pretty much only the helmet). Reach and H4 have received a good amount of backlash concerning armor so I'm interested in what 343 will do for Halo 5.

My problem with the H4 Armor is that it, like Eagle said, doesn't even look like Halo armor. 

I thought the Reach armor looked bad at the time but now I'd even settle with that

• Upvote (+1) 2

Like someone else said, in halo3 I instantly recognize what helmet my opponent is wearing. In haloR/4, I don't even notice for whatever reason. Too much clutter would be my first guess.