Joseph

Halo Problems

Halo Issues  

274 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD SPRINT/FLINCH STAY IN HALO?

• Yes, both mechanics belong in Halo.
    • Sprint belongs, but Flinch should be taken out.
    • Flinch belongs, but Sprint should be taken out.
    • No, neither mechanic belongs in Halo.

Playing Halo without ranks is like playing Poker without money: meaningless

All you have to lose is your pride, and clearly many people do not care about that because they knowingly and willingly put Plasma Grenades and Active Camo in their loadouts.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think CoD/BF players care about ranks - but Halo players are different. And so, even with non-competitive players, ranks are the one thing that allows a Halo game to dominate the charts. And they got rid of them, lol.

If Halo 5 has a League-type ranking system, I won't even care about the game's mechanics, honestly. With Josh Menke on board and the fact that they want another Halo 3 (dem Halo 3/Halo 5 trailer similarities), you just gotta #beli343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo 5 has a League-type ranking system, I won't even care about the game's mechanics, honestly.

If mechanics don't matter and you want a LoL rank - there's already a game that will work for you. It's called League of Legends. You'll love it, the mechanics are nothing at all like Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The only thing we have to pray is that Josh Menke should be untouchable when designing the ranking system.

In other words, not being bothered by Kevin Franklin or the Company in general. Let him do his thing and dude, Halo 5 will be 10x better than Halo 4 with a nasty ranking system.

Game mechanics is another issue lately with the game, but baby steps first.

We might as well get leaderboards, Josh Menke using Halo 4 as a lab rat for his experiments and see what he can do and how he can do it... seems pretty good imo. Of course, we have to wait and see what's going on.

Sprint despising aside an issue I have with everything post-Halo 2 is how sloppy movement feels. It's most pronounced in Reach, but the fact that Spartans seem to skid around while not even moving particularly fast is incredibly disappointing, and going from the Titanfall Beta to Halo 4 last night - frustrating.

I can't state enough how much I want to see fast, fluid movement and guns that shoot straight to both return to a Halo game. So much of the fun in an FPS comes from managing moving and shooting at the same time to demonstrate your skill, and yet there's a serious disconnect and dilution of these aspects in the last three Halo games.

Why would you want ranks for an awful game? Somewhere along the line it goes from being about who is best to who can be the biggest ******. *Cough Arena *Cough

Why would you want ranks for an awful game? Somewhere along the line it goes from being about who is best to who can be the biggest ******. *Cough Arena *Cough

An awful game is only made worse with the lack of ranks. Halo 4, for instance--not saying it's awful, but you know--would have been a better experience if it had in-game ranks because the playlists would be more populated and there would be more excitement to play the game. That being said, poor gameplay is just as--if not more--unacceptable as the lack of ranks.

Arena is an amazing system after they updated it.  They did a really bad job at launch with it by reducing it to a couple playlists and ranking players on individual skill in team games.  After a few seasons they changed it to true skill but by then it was too late.  The MLG playlist would have been perfection if it had Arena ranks. 

Also ranks on a bad game is more fun than a bad game with no ranks. 

Sprint despising aside an issue I have with everything post-Halo 2 is how sloppy movement feels. It's most pronounced in Reach, but the fact that Spartans seem to skid around while not even moving particularly fast is incredibly disappointing, and going from the Titanfall Beta to Halo 4 last night - frustrating.

I can't state enough how much I want to see fast, fluid movement and guns that shoot straight to both return to a Halo game. So much of the fun in an FPS comes from managing moving and shooting at the same time to demonstrate your skill, and yet there's a serious disconnect and dilution of these aspects in the last three Halo games.

Agreed, so much of Halo is movement in battles and moving around the map and it sucks right now. I dont know what happened after H2 with the movement and physics but it sucks plain and simple. Nobody would care about sprint if the spartans moved like H1+H2 and the maps were good like classic Halo. Reach was just painful movement wise as well, in default you couldn't even escape grenades the strafe and jump was so bad. Hopefully 60 FPS will help the game feel smoother in the next Halo because the movement and physics are not right.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Arena is an amazing system after they updated it.  They did a really bad job at launch with it by reducing it to a couple playlists and ranking players on individual skill in team games.  After a few seasons they changed it to true skill but by then it was too late.  The MLG playlist would have been perfection if it had Arena ranks. 

The system itself is fine, but Arena was a joke. Maybe it was updated after I stopped playing, but as far as I can tell it was just kids jetpacking and spamming DMRs. Default Reach promotes such bad gameplay, but that's what works so that's how people played. Like I said, it went from being about who was the better team to being who would be the biggest Reach kid. Not really that impressive imho. 

Would I like ranks? Hell yes. But can you imagine H4? Camo boltshots anyone? 

Having good gameplay mechanics>Ranks

Without them ranks are meaningless. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Arena is an amazing system after they updated it.

Very debatable.

It took 24 hours for your rank to update. Not having feedback on your rank after a game is dreadful design.

Too many in gold/onyx.

Ranks were hidden away under too many menus.

Was exploitable with the 2s trick to get a team of 4 against 4 randoms.

3 month seasons are just too short.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It wasnt a bad thing to have spread for close quarter battles as long as you didnt over twich your shots....i liked it.

Okay, but it still affects long range battles.

What is the point of having spread then? You don't have to lead in close quarter battles.

Okay, but it still affects long range battles.

What is the point of having spread then? You don't have to lead in close quarter battles.

Perhaps they wanted to reduce the effective range of the weapon? However, there are better ways of doing that such as reducing aim assist or bullet magnetism, dropping the red reticle range, or using projectiles, which would work far better than a dice roll mechanic.

Perhaps they wanted to reduce the effective range of the weapon? However, there are better ways of doing that such as reducing aim assist or bullet magnetism, dropping the red reticle range, or using projectiles, which would work far better than a dice roll mechanic.

Utility weapons should have unlimited range but absolutely ZERO aim assist/bullet magnetism past medium-long range. That is enough to balance the weapon's effective range.

Utility weapons should have unlimited range but absolutely ZERO aim assist/bullet magnetism past medium-long range. That is enough to balance the weapon's effective range.

I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to shoot a weapon with no aim assist or magnetism (as hard as it is to kill teammates).

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hate magnetic bullets as much as the next guy, but both still need to be there, otherwise people would have to reload before even being able to kill eachother in the average gunfight, which would lead to huge problems at any level of play but the very top. It'd also mess up the balance with the Sniper too.

The average killtime should be far from the fastest possible killtime obviously, but it must not be too far, and removing aim assist and bullet magnetism would do just that.

If only they had made the Arena rank visible at all times for players. Then more people would have cared and taken it much more seriously. As for MLG, they could have had Arena ranks, but 343 said it would have lengthened the search times.

I enjoyed Arena in Reach. People actually wanted to join your team after a win if you dominated. That is, when you searched in twos or alone. Don't see that ever in Halo 4.

I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to shoot a weapon with no aim assist or magnetism (as hard as it is to kill teammates).

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hate magnetic bullets as much as the next guy, but both still need to be there, otherwise people would have to reload before even being able to kill eachother in the average gunfight, which would lead to huge problems at any level of play but the very top. It'd also mess up the balance with the Sniper too.

The average killtime should be far from the fastest possible killtime obviously, but it must not be too far, and removing aim assist and bullet magnetism would do just that.

Without aim assist and bullet magnetism, past medium-long range, a good player's hit percentage will drop to somewhere between 25% and 50%. That is what I mean by limiting effective range. Can players still land shots? Yes but with a much lower frequency hence their effectiveness has been reduced. And all this has been accomplished without adding random factors like spread or unintuitive factors like damage drop off into the weapon.

Halo 4 movement is just awful, it's clunky, you can't jump on things that you should be able to, game is boring and frustrating.  Armour abilities and sprint have fucked Halo.  Joining in progress to find that you are losing 25-2 and the other team has an assortment of power weapons at their disposal to help them dominate further.  Too easy to 4 shot, too easy to snipe (don't get me started on the beam rifle), it's just whoever sees someone else first wins, encounters are boring as strafing is effectively pointless.  Art style of Halo 4 isn't even as good as 1-3, everything looks way too cartoony and fake.  Medals are a fucking joke, sounds are atrocious.  Bungies Halos had such a balance and completeness (not so much H2) about them.  Game is aimed at 12 year olds, and all about capturing the new crowd, rather than looking after millions of loyal fans, most of whom are now struggling to find any real reason to stick with Halo and Xbox in general.  I've lost all hope for the franchise, H4 is a terrible game, I thought it couldn't get any worse after Reach.  You can't just go on about Reach V7 being the greatest thing ever, thats just one single game type barely anyone knew about.  The base game was horrible and built around armour abilities, sprint and was grey and boring too.

I'm just ranting without coherence off the top of my head, I'm fed up with waiting for Halo to be fixed because I just can't see it happening.  343 aren't willing to take the tiny risk of losing their Halo 4 audience to take the game back to it's roots.  The studio can't even make their own grand visions of Halo 4 a reality with the resulting featureless and soulless game produced.

The next game (it doesn't even have to be Halo) that revolves around smooth simple movement, simple gunplay, grenades and melee, focuses on competition, skill ranking, rewards you when you win, punishes you when you lose, and allows the community to be creative and have fun as well in the way that Halo used to will be a huge success.  It is human nature to want to win relative to other people, winning in an absolute sense isn't satisfying if you had nothing to lose in the first place.  The first game that captures this underestimated niche available in the game market (especially on consoles at the moment) will be huge.  Simplicity is key to success.  Take out all the shit 343 and stop chasing the CoD, BF audience by being similar to those games.  Make Halo a different experience to those games and watch the health of the franchise recover.  Halo has so many problems at the moment, the fixes are easy, but change for the better is unlikely to happen as by now it is clear that Halo is being shaped by a developer that insists on the wrong type of unsustainable change for an audience that shows no loyalty whatsoever.  The wait is on for a game that fills this void.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Halo problem: If they keep fucking around and not release anything on the next Halo I'll lose interest in the game entirely. By the time it'll come out, I won't even care anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 movement is just awful, it's clunky, you can't jump on things that you should be able to, game is boring and frustrating.  Armour abilities and sprint have fucked Halo.  Joining in progress to find that you are losing 25-2 and the other team has an assortment of power weapons at their disposal to help them dominate further.  Too easy to 4 shot, too easy to snipe (don't get me started on the beam rifle), it's just whoever sees someone else first wins, encounters are boring as strafing is effectively pointless.  Art style of Halo 4 isn't even as good as 1-3, everything looks way too cartoony and fake.  Medals are a fucking joke, sounds are atrocious.  Bungies Halos had such a balance and completeness (not so much H2) about them.  Game is aimed at 12 year olds, and all about capturing the new crowd, rather than looking after millions of loyal fans, most of whom are now struggling to find any real reason to stick with Halo and Xbox in general.  I've lost all hope for the franchise, H4 is a terrible game, I thought it couldn't get any worse after Reach.  You can't just go on about Reach V7 being the greatest thing ever, thats just one single game type barely anyone knew about.  The base game was horrible and built around armour abilities, sprint and was grey and boring too.

I'm just ranting without coherence off the top of my head, I'm fed up with waiting for Halo to be fixed because I just can't see it happening.  343 aren't willing to take the tiny risk of losing their Halo 4 audience to take the game back to it's roots.  The studio can't even make their own grand visions of Halo 4 a reality with the resulting featureless and soulless game produced.

The next game (it doesn't even have to be Halo) that revolves around smooth simple movement, simple gunplay, grenades and melee, focuses on competition, skill ranking, rewards you when you win, punishes you when you lose, and allows the community to be creative and have fun as well in the way that Halo used to will be a huge success.  It is human nature to want to win relative to other people, winning in an absolute sense isn't satisfying if you had nothing to lose in the first place.  The first game that captures this underestimated niche available in the game market (especially on consoles at the moment) will be huge.  Simplicity is key to success.  Take out all the shit 343 and stop chasing the CoD, BF audience by being similar to those games.  Make Halo a different experience to those games and watch the health of the franchise recover.  Halo has so many problems at the moment, the fixes are easy, but change for the better is unlikely to happen as by now it is clear that Halo is being shaped by a developer that insists on the wrong type of unsustainable change for an audience that shows no loyalty whatsoever.  The wait is on for a game that fills this void.

I dont agree with this at all, I've been playing halo 4 since it released and its really easy to make jumps compared to past halos, (Are you kidding me, Halo reach?). Maybe you just gave up on halo 4 way too soon to be able to do something. 

I dont agree with this at all, I've been playing halo 4 since it released and its really easy to make jumps compared to past halos, 

They designed it that way. Thats not a good thing.

I'm pretty sure the same physics that allow for slide jumps is also responsible for jump canceling when you jump onto an upward incline, like an angled rock, and go to jump again.