Joseph

Halo Problems

Halo Issues  

274 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD SPRINT/FLINCH STAY IN HALO?

• Yes, both mechanics belong in Halo.
    • Sprint belongs, but Flinch should be taken out.
    • Flinch belongs, but Sprint should be taken out.
    • No, neither mechanic belongs in Halo.

I feel the issues you listed under the poll should not be dealt with using absolutes.

I'm not a fan of flinch, but I understand why it was implemented.

Change for the sake of change to water the game down so it is easier for players.

not even going to finish reading that entire post.

halo fell off the map once it started introducing things like sprint. thus one would conclude that sprint is the cause

A hell of a lot went into driving the population away. Sprint is just one of many. Sprint was in reach and did not keep the population from being strong there. The biggest problem was the devs who hated halo and honestly believed they knew better and turned the game into cod with randomness.

Sprint is here to stay. All this negative rep for stating the obvious shows immaturity nothing else.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flinch was incorporated because according to Frank O'Connor, descope was too "jarring." 343 loves catering to players without thumbs not named Enable.

Descope may be jarring to some but you can be good enough to control your aim and still have perfect accuracy. It requires mastery of a skill. Flinch just messes with your aim and there's nothing you can do about it. If you get shot with a sniper in Halo 4 while zoomed in, there is literally nothing you can do to fight back. Your reticle goes FLYING up in the air. There is no skill that can be mastered to help you take out that sniper.

Let us have control over our gameplay. Enough with these features that allow bad players to be closer in skill to better players. With Josh Menke's ranking system in place, there will be no need to make things easier for less talented players. They will be playing against players of equal skill, not getting destroyed by better players every game.

And yes, I 100% believe that Josh Menke's ranking system will work.

no. Almost every single person who would have bought halo5 with sprint would buy it without it. They don't think "omg no sprint, halo is a bust."

There was sprint before halo existed yet halo was popular. Hell halo3 still reached #1 sometimes on the charts even after cod5 came out in 2008-2009, yet there was no sprint. Saying that sprint makes people buy halo is an uneducated assumption. There has never been a halo game without sprint that has sold poorly, and until that happens you can't argue that no sprint will make it sell poorly.

And also, the people who don't like halo because it doesn't have sprint,ads, etc are going to be the ones who put it down 3 weeks later regardless if it has those features or not. The settings in matchmaking should reflect what the halo community enjoys, the people who live and breathe halo and will still being playing it 1 year down the line. There's no worthwhile point to making a game that 71% of your community dislikes.

actually, they can keep sprint in campaign. I wouldn't mind seeing it in action sack or custom games. but I believe every playlist should have universal base settings. Action sack is the only exception because its stupid fun.

At the same time those that won't buy h5 because it has sprint make up a very small minority.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly wish, they would just make one game, one game that we've been asking for since 2004.  Just give us a Halo game we can play for the next 15-20 years while they release their annual attempts at making as much money as possible.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Change for the sake of change to water the game down so it is easier for players.

- Sprint: should be tuned, not removed entirely. 

- In Game Ranks/Ranked Playlist: needed

- Descoping/Flinch: should be optional to change in a gamemode under player traits.

- Spectator Mode: needed.

- Loadouts: Optional for gametype. Additional tuning is required in gametypes that allow them.

- Random Ordinance's were never really random. We all knew a Binary Rifle will spawn on top blue of Haven at the end of a match. 

- Armor Abilities: need balancing

- AUTO FLAG PICKUP: Optional

- Flag Juggling: Optional

- KoTH: Multiplier Glitch needs to be fixed

- Throwing the Oddball: Optional

- Join In Progress: Needs more parameters

- Arena Maps: More Needed

Why do you think Flinch was implemented?

Its a lot easier to use than descoping. Some people say descope is too "jarring" so they replaced it with Flinch.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

^That game has an identity crisis. You can always say "can't we have both?" but which are going to be the standard settings? What settings would be used in Team Slayer?

• Upvote (+1) 6

^That game has an identity crisis. You can always say "can't we have both?" but which are going to be the standard settings? What settings would be used in Team Slayer?

Default settings never been the same as the Competitive settings with the exception of Halo: CE. If the options can be provided, why not allow people to chose what options they want in their gametypes?

There is a difference between arguing what should be in the tailored competitive settings and what should be allowed in the game. I'm arguing that allowing more options can make both the competitive and casual community happy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Default settings never been the same as the Competitive settings with the exception of Halo: CE. If the options can be provided, why not allow people to chose what options they want in their gametypes?

There is a difference between arguing what should be in the tailored competitive settings and what should be allowed in the game. I'm arguing that allowing more options can make both the competitive and casual community happy.

I'm not saying Halo shouldn't have crazy Action Sack gametypes but you believe the best course of action is to make the standard Halo settings and the competitive Halo settings vastly different? Radar disabled and a precision primary weapon should be the two differences in gametypes. Maps can obviously be tailored to competitive play with altered weapon layouts but the core gameplay mechanics should be seamless between casual and competitive Halo.

What benefits do you see in Halo being two different games; one for casual play and one for competitive play?

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Descoping/Flinch: should be optional to change in a gamemode under player traits.

- Loadouts: Optional for gametype. Additional tuning is required in gametypes that allow them.

- Random Ordinance's were never really random. We all knew a Binary Rifle will spawn on top blue of Haven at the end of a match.

Its a lot easier to use than descoping. Some people say descope is too "jarring" so they replaced it with Flinch.

You want too many things as options. Instead of having all the things we want as options in custom settings, the default settings need to have what we want. I don't just want 1 playlist without sprint. I want them all without sprint. I don't want just one playlist with descope. I want them all to have descope. Too many options will cause the game to have an identity crisis like Reach. In Reach there were 100% bloom playlists, 85% bloom playlists, zero bloom playlists, playlists where everyone had sprint, playlists with no sprint, etc.. It was just too much.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Giving the game a million different options is the result of a developer that has no clue what they're actually doing.

Grow some balls and make the entire game good. Don't relegate the good part of the game to customs because you're afraid a lack of bullshit will drive away casuals.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Sooo. When are Violenc3 and Shootin Sammy accidentally getting IP banned?

Not srs

Semi srs

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Descoping / Flinch should not be optional.  Not being Descoped breaks the game at a high level of competitive play: You remember Dispatch Flag was renamed to Ambush Flag? Simply because they would dominate any team with the snipers on the map..because they never got taken out of scope when shot.  Its been in every other Halo game, but was changed to make the game appealing to more players.  Now not to be an asshole here or whip out the Coachmayne Halo 4 population charts but we can all see that tactic did not work whatsoever. 

Loadouts - meh, I want loadouts gone but I care more about game mechanics being good than stupid loadouts.  Seems like a CoD ripoff that doesnt belong in Halo but that is just me.

Ordnances were never really random?.... What???? They were indeed 100% random.  Can you predict some? Probably, but overall when you are playing and get an Ordnance you can luck out and get a Binary Rifle and I can get boned and get a Needler to combat you with.  Reminds me of "drops" from Call of Duty where weapons magically fall from the sky.

Armor Abilities: I wish they were taken out, I have always disliked them but I could live if they were at least balanced.

Auto Flag Pickup Optional? This is one of the WORST features I have experienced in Halo 4.  It needs to be gone.  Never been in any other Halo title why on earth should it be made optional?  Once again this is not Call of Duty, you always had to hold a button down to pick up the flag in a Halo game, no reason to change that.. like I legit cannot think of one good reason Auto Flag pickup would even be considered in a game where you have shields.  I can see why in Call of Duty because you have such little health that you need to get in and get out as fast as possible before being spotted.

Flag Juggling Optional... read above ^.  Been in every Halo game.. just leave it alone.

Throwing the oddball optional:  Oddball was ruined competitively in Halo 4 because you could just BOMB it across the map.  I personally dont think it belongs anywhere at all - the point of oddball is to lock down a setup on the map with your teammates, milk time, and then when the opposing team breaks your setup it is on the ball guy to play the ball.  I feel like being able to throw the ball just waters down all of that lol.  Oh the setup is broken? Let me bomb it to my teammate across the map even though we should be punished for our setup being terrible and not playing the ball.

I have never heard a player complain about Descoping before.  When I was new to Halo I never complained about it.  Not sure why now all of the sudden its too "Jarring" for players when it has been 100% fine in every single Halo title. 

Lets get back to traditional Halo here.  I am not really asking for a Halo 3 reboot or something but I feel like all of the wrong things were "innovated" in Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Throwing the ball in my opinion should either be gone or only be an option IN GRIFBALL or Ricochet or some other action sack game that doesn't involve Oddball. Is my opinion.

AA if we get rid of Camo, PV, etc and balance it I might enjoy it. (I like the AA in Throwdown, thats it for me)

Nobody is complaining about *Personal* Ordnances. Come in guys.. Am I the only one who hates it? :( What kind of bullshit is that a guy in front of me is one shot but magically pulls an over shield or rocket off his ass (POD) and freaking destroy me just cuz he pulled a BS weapon from sky.

The other stuff discussed shouldn't be in Halo at all.

Thats my opinion. Also, fuck BTB maps. We can have the best gameplay mechanica ever... But if we have 28466272 BTB maps... We're fucked.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Descoping / Flinch should not be optional.  Not being Descoped breaks the game at a high level of competitive play: You remember Dispatch Flag was renamed to Ambush Flag? Simply because they would dominate any team with the snipers on the map..because they never got taken out of scope when shot.  Its been in every other Halo game, but was changed to make the game appealing to more players.  Now not to be an asshole here or whip out the Coachmayne Halo 4 population charts but we can all see that tactic did not work whatsoever. 

Loadouts - meh, I want loadouts gone but I care more about game mechanics being good than stupid loadouts.  Seems like a CoD ripoff that doesnt belong in Halo but that is just me.

Ordnances were never really random?.... What???? They were indeed 100% random.  Can you predict some? Probably, but overall when you are playing and get an Ordnance you can luck out and get a Binary Rifle and I can get boned and get a Needler to combat you with.  Reminds me of "drops" from Call of Duty where weapons magically fall from the sky.

Armor Abilities: I wish they were taken out, I have always disliked them but I could live if they were at least balanced.

Auto Flag Pickup Optional? This is one of the WORST features I have experienced in Halo 4.  It needs to be gone.  Never been in any other Halo title why on earth should it be made optional?  Once again this is not Call of Duty, you always had to hold a button down to pick up the flag in a Halo game, no reason to change that.. like I legit cannot think of one good reason Auto Flag pickup would even be considered in a game where you have shields.  I can see why in Call of Duty because you have such little health that you need to get in and get out as fast as possible before being spotted.

Flag Juggling Optional... read above ^.  Been in every Halo game.. just leave it alone.

Throwing the oddball optional:  Oddball was ruined competitively in Halo 4 because you could just BOMB it across the map.  I personally dont think it belongs anywhere at all - the point of oddball is to lock down a setup on the map with your teammates, milk time, and then when the opposing team breaks your setup it is on the ball guy to play the ball.  I feel like being able to throw the ball just waters down all of that lol.  Oh the setup is broken? Let me bomb it to my teammate across the map even though we should be punished for our setup being terrible and not playing the ball.

I have never heard a player complain about Descoping before.  When I was new to Halo I never complained about it.  Not sure why now all of the sudden its too "Jarring" for players when it has been 100% fine in every single Halo title. 

Lets get back to traditional Halo here.  I am not really asking for a Halo 3 reboot or something but I feel like all of the wrong things were "innovated" in Halo 4.

They got innovation confused with renovation. Renovation being completely destroying everything that made Halo successful, adding in useless, broken, garbage and catering for 10 year olds.

Much megabloks

Such cartoons 

Many comics

• Upvote (+1) 2

Say you were forced to choose Sprint or Flinch to stay in the game.

Which would you choose?

If I were forced to choose sprint or flinch I certainly wouldn't stay in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

If I were forced to choose sprint or flinch I certainly wouldn't stay in the game.

so much this. This would get quote pyramid'd on so many other forums

My choice exactly. I don't know how I stood Halo 4 as long as I did. They need to go back to Halo 2/3 era.

Say you were forced to choose Sprint or Flinch to stay in the game.

Which would you choose?

I would gladly stay in DOTA 2, where devs ACTUALLY ACT CONSTANTLY AND CONSISTENLY in their game based on community feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Though I would like the way Halo to it originally was I have to wonder, what will happen with the new generation of halo players? (Reach, 4) 

With the current image of FPS now days (excluding Counter Strike, and Titanfall (not sure if there is sprint)) I think sprint will make much more of a bigger impact compared to flinch for these "newer generation Halo players" are used to and (presumably) like it that way

SO what I'm trying to say is could the change to sprint affect the amount of "newer Halo players" playing Halo?