Joseph

Halo Problems

Halo Issues  

274 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD SPRINT/FLINCH STAY IN HALO?

• Yes, both mechanics belong in Halo.
    • Sprint belongs, but Flinch should be taken out.
    • Flinch belongs, but Sprint should be taken out.
    • No, neither mechanic belongs in Halo.

The descope/flinch conversation on Twitter today has me worried already.

Can't we just get someone to tweet Quinn and tell him to come here? Having an actual discussion would be mutually beneficial imho. That twitter convo is ridiculous. I think Ghandi and Snipedown were talking about CoD, but fucking Quinn seemed to take it as feedback. 

Wrong. The current trend in FPS games (aka. What people nowadays buy and what makes gaming studios money) is being able to sprint. The chances of sprint being removed completely are basically zero, you need to let go of the nostalgia that our halo community can't seem to get over and realize that. Having the option to turn it off, along with descoping and great maps will be perfect, especially if we're gonna be allowed a community run playlist like the one we had with Ghost running Throwdown. That will allow us to tweak the settings to make it optimal, competitive, balanced and, most importantly, FUN. The more options we have, the better the playlist will be, IMHO.

So because the top-selling games are selling the most, we should mimic them?

• Upvote (+1) 1

So because the top-selling games are selling the most, we should mimic them?

yeah, that's generally how the entertainment industry works 

fyi

Can't we just get someone to tweet Quinn and tell him to come here? Having an actual discussion would be mutually beneficial imho. That twitter convo is ridiculous. I think Ghandi and Snipedown were talking about CoD, but fucking Quinn seemed to take it as feedback. 

ya that put a stop to my hype train instantly. I dont want to assume, but im finding it difficult to believe 343 wont fall into the same thought processes that plagued halo 4 development

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just dropping by to remind you all that no legit console shooter created in the post-Modern Warfare 2 era will ever be near Halo: CE, or even Halo 2 in real competitive value.

It's Money over Everything.

peace out

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just dropping by to remind you all that no legit console shooter created in the post-Modern Warfare 2 era will ever be near Halo: CE, or even Halo 2 in real competitive value.

It's Money over Everything.

peace out

Even if they did make a truly hardcore FPS targeted towards hardcore fans we all know the likely-hood of success they would have when there is entertainment giants with huge communities/publisher funding that already get all the attention on the console side. Although there has been some success with "Hardcore/old-school" games on the RPG side lately made by smaller teams (Dark Souls, Dishonored.Witcher, ect..) so maybe we could see the same for FPS this year. Cliffy B's new Arena FPS would likely be the best bet of this happening but I think its going to be PC only.

yeah, that's generally how the entertainment industry works 

fyi

I hate to blame it all on the CoD MW era but that series really must be a pain in every other game developers side. It would be like if WoW released a new expansion every year that game is going to be familiar with every MMORPG player and on every player's mind around the holiday season so how do you combat such a dominating marketing model? Original XBL pre-MW had some diversity at the top and games were not being rushed/Cod-ified by their Publishers to compete with the machine that is CoD. As a result now BF and Halo both adopted the yearly release model of CoD and games dont last more than 1-2 years so why make a FPS made for longevity?

- Join in progress GONE. 

The playlists need to be split into two categories; ranked and social. Ranked will have no JiP and I see no problem with social having it. GoW3 did this and it worked great.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like as a community we have sort of "ramped down" (myself included) on discussing the major problems that occurred in Halo 4.  This is for a few reasons in my opinion: We all feel like we are beating dead horses (and we are), or the community feels like 343 isn't listening, etc, etc.  But even though the topics get repetitive / boring, I feel like we still need to keep bringing these issues up in order to make it 100% CLEAR that us as Halo fans do not like or enjoy these features whatsoever. 

BE SURE TO VOTE HERE IN THE WAYPOINT THREAD AS WELL

Off the top of my head

- Remove Sprint.

- We need In Game Ranks / League play.

- We need Descoping.

- NEED Spectator Mode.

- No Loadouts.

- Random Ordinance gone.

- Armor Abilities gone or heavily overhauled so they are at least balanced.

- AUTO FLAG PICKUP GONE.

- Flag Juggling needs to return.

- KoTH needs to be fixed.

- Throwing the Oddball needs to go.

- Join in progress GONE. 

- We need more Arena Maps. (Halo 4 had so many btb maps)

Someone RT'd a player from the Greenbay Packers talking about Halo 2 on my timeline - and just got me thinking about all this crap again. lol.  

a59eb4c6644cd965ba16d3ff22c3b69c.png

dead-horse.gif

I made a thread right after H4 came out entitled "How Sprint Single Handily Destroyed Halo" on The Halo Council.

It ended up over 10 pages and chronicled how essentially it isn't even quantifiable to attempt to illustrate every manner in which sprint killed Halo. Sprint is the central reason why Halo doesn't feel/play like Halo. Alas, it would be unfathomable to imagine Halo 5 not having sprint and who knows if H2A will actually happen. My vote if H2A happens, DO NOT MOVE ON TO H5 UNLESS IT'S BETTER JUST BECAUSE IT'S A NEW GAME.

@@Velo Still have the post?

@@Velo Still have the post?

Are the forums archived anywhere? The thread was moved tot he sanctuary section I think.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The sad reality is that all of these suggestions are just icing on the cake, even if 343i did exactly what everyone is asking for they would still be far from making a GREAT halo game, 343i needs to revamp halo IMO.

Wrong. The current trend in FPS games (aka. What people nowadays buy and what makes gaming studios money) is being able to sprint. The chances of sprint being removed completely are basically zero, you need to let go of the nostalgia that our halo community can't seem to get over and realize that. Having the option to turn it off, along with descoping and great maps will be perfect, especially if we're gonna be allowed a community run playlist like the one we had with Ghost running Throwdown. That will allow us to tweak the settings to make it optimal, competitive, balanced and, most importantly, FUN. The more options we have, the better the playlist will be, IMHO.

This place has no room for the obvious .... what you said is true. H2a may be sprint free but I can't see h5 without sprint.

I'm going to keep saying it. 

Halo doesn't need to be the innovator anymore. It revolutionized the FPS world already.

It just needed to stay the same with slight upgrades throughout the years. (ie, Activision/Blizzards strategy)

I've been playing Halo CE on the computer and it's still the great game I always loved. I can play it nonstop without thinking about any other games. I get on Halo 4 and immediately want to play Black Ops 2 over it....that makes no sense.

It would be nice, if you know Halo innovated the sub-genre its in which is Sci-fi Arena/Sandbox FPS rather than come off like a phony CoD-Halo hybrid like H4. Gandhi and Mr. X were discussing it today on MLG.tv, Halo 4+Reach were WILDLY different then original core Halo(Mr X. commented even the RS series was not as drastic which he played professionally) and that has been its downfall. He said "If Halo does not want to be Halo then why would the fans care to keep playing it?". Halo will not find success riding off CoD game-play trends, it will find greater success when it successfully innovates off of its own formula while keeping the core game-play of the series in tact. I mean why cant there be a Halo that combines the best elements of the series while pushing it forward in a unique way?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can't wrap my head around the fact that they can't remove sprint for 4v4 multiplayer. Put it in campaign. But it in BTB. Just keep it out of the smaller playlists. The "current trend" games that use sprint have large maps with short kill times. 4v4 and under Halo is the opposite. Its doesn't work. Having a toggle option sounds ok but then sandbox will be messed up because the weapons and the map design will be influenced by sprint as well. If sprint is in Halo 5 then w/e. Best case scenario is that we have a bunch of forge maps like in Halo Reach that nobody outside of competitive players can relate to. Ok...I'm done beating the dead horse to a pulp. 

Please no.. Am I stupid or is Eric suggesting an increase in flinch to a 343i employee?

I don't think you're the stupid one in this scenario.

Just more evidence that pros know very little about what's good for Halo.

I don't think you're the stupid one in this scenario.

Just more evidence that pros know very little about what's good for Halo.

I like to think that by more recoil he means descope. Nobody seems to realize descoping and flinching are different. Otherwise I think he knows it's bad he's just trying to get hired O.o

I like to think that by more recoil he means descope. Nobody seems to realize descoping and flinching are different. Otherwise I think he knows it's bad he's just trying to get hired O.o

Just for the sake of argument, recoil and flinch also aren't the same thing. Recoil is when your gun jumps up as you shoot. It is predictable and can be skillfully managed if everyone has to account for it. Flinch is when your gun jumps when you are shot. I too wish his answer would have been "none of the above - we need descope", but the question was proposed by Quinn with two choices and he answered it. Recoil does add a certain level of skill to aiming but it was always fairly minimal on the BR. 

...why are developers asking pros of all people? Of course they're gonna want the next game to be as close as possible to the games they've had the most success in. Huge conflict of interest, no real progress to be made.

If I don't see these ignorant developers asking chaosTheory, Cursed Lemon, truehalomaster or BigShow for feedback and input, I am strictly not taking 343's movements or future projects serious.

• Upvote (+1) 4

He was asked a question and he answered. The whole conversation started when he said this:

I swear it seems like people look for Drama where there is none.

Or I was simply confused. If you look at my original post I asked and I didn't imply.

I don't want either of those shit mechanics in Halo, but to be honest, my optimism got dried out when Reach came out with the Armor Lock and ******** bloom bullshit. I want Halo Arbitrary Sequel number to be good, but god damn, the way things went in the past don't make me very hopeful. 

I feel the issues you listed under the poll should not be dealt with using absolutes.

I'm not a fan of flinch, but I understand why it was implemented.