Joseph

Halo Problems

Halo Issues  

274 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD SPRINT/FLINCH STAY IN HALO?

• Yes, both mechanics belong in Halo.
    • Sprint belongs, but Flinch should be taken out.
    • Flinch belongs, but Sprint should be taken out.
    • No, neither mechanic belongs in Halo.

Wrong. The current trend in FPS games (aka. What people nowadays buy and what makes gaming studios money) is being able to sprint. The chances of sprint being removed completely are basically zero, you need to let go of the nostalgia that our halo community can't seem to get over and realize that. Having the option to turn it off, along with descoping and great maps will be perfect, especially if we're gonna be allowed a community run playlist like the one we had with Ghost running Throwdown. That will allow us to tweak the settings to make it optimal, competitive, balanced and, most importantly, FUN. The more options we have, the better the playlist will be, IMHO.

I don't downvote, but this is a really ignorant comment. This is exactly what 343i was thinking when they made Halo 4, and it's why the game failed. It has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia, and you only use that word because you can't think of any good reasons sprint should be in the game. Following the 'trend' isn't what Halo is about. Halo CE, 2, and 3 changed the FPS genre. Making Halo change to follow the genre is a slap in the face and completely stupid. Also options are overrated. If you have a good game you don't need options. Even APK said that Halo would probably be better without forge. If the base game is good you don't need to change anything. Those who play League of Legends can watch a pro game and know EXACTLY what is happening based on the gameplay because it IS THE SAME GAME. Halo needs to be the same way. The only difference between Team Slayer and MLG playlists should be radar in my opinion. Just make the base game good and we won't have any problems unless casual and competitive are so drastically different (which is my fear).

• Upvote (+1) 4

Wrong. The current trend in FPS games (aka. What people nowadays buy and what makes gaming studios money) is being able to sprint. The chances of sprint being removed completely are basically zero, you need to let go of the nostalgia that our halo community can't seem to get over and realize that. Having the option to turn it off, along with descoping and great maps will be perfect, especially if we're gonna be allowed a community run playlist like the one we had with Ghost running Throwdown. That will allow us to tweak the settings to make it optimal, competitive, balanced and, most importantly, FUN. The more options we have, the better the playlist will be, IMHO.

no. Almost every single person who would have bought halo5 with sprint would buy it without it. They don't think "omg no sprint, halo is a bust."

There was sprint before halo existed yet halo was popular. Hell halo3 still reached #1 sometimes on the charts even after cod5 came out in 2008-2009, yet there was no sprint. Saying that sprint makes people buy halo is an uneducated assumption. There has never been a halo game without sprint that has sold poorly, and until that happens you can't argue that no sprint will make it sell poorly.

And also, the people who don't like halo because it doesn't have sprint,ads, etc are going to be the ones who put it down 3 weeks later regardless if it has those features or not. The settings in matchmaking should reflect what the halo community enjoys, the people who live and breathe halo and will still being playing it 1 year down the line. There's no worthwhile point to making a game that 71% of your community dislikes.

actually, they can keep sprint in campaign. I wouldn't mind seeing it in action sack or custom games. but I believe every playlist should have universal base settings. Action sack is the only exception because its stupid fun.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know that this is gonna get downvoted, but we have to be realistic. Sprint isn't gonna go away, what we should be asking for is the option to turn it off/on. I agree with everything else. Armor abilities need to be balanced, ordnance (if it continues) shouldn't damage you at all, flinch needs to go and descope is absolutely necessary. In-game ranks have to come back as well as NEW, competitive, SMALLER maps. Also, I don't know if anyone remembers, but the spawn system needs fixing. The spawn influence system breaks the flow of the game, I think. I don't think loadouts are the devil, but certain traits (like being able to collect dropped grenades) should return. Also, I think there should be an option to turn off the damn assassination animations. Just my humble opinion.

I agree sprint will probably be back, but we may as well try to get it gone. The option to turn it off should be a given, and was possible in Reach.

Then again it IS 343 we're talking about

I don't care about sprint. I don't see it being taken out at this point, and I think it could be neutered to a more acceptable condition. Flinch can die in a fire. 

Umm...that thread started by Ghostayame was from 8 months ago. I mean, I guess since he works there now, maybe he can bring it up to whoever has the authority to change it but I'm honestly skeptical. 

But yeah, we need descope, no flinch and no sprint. SPRINT KILLS MAP DESIGN! That point needs to be hammered home more so that any other. Some recoil is a better way to limit weapons. 

The Hardcore playlist needs the basics. Make it old school Halo mechanics, and they can do anything they want with Infinity slayer and spartan ops.

Yep I agree with everything except I think the Oddball throwing mechanic should stay as a custom game option. It only needs to be taken from the Oddball gametype itself.

Wrong. The current trend in FPS games (aka. What people nowadays buy and what makes gaming studios money) is being able to sprint.

and great maps will be perfect,

How are you going to have 'great maps' and 'sprint' in the same game? If the maps are made to accommodate sprint, then they will not be great maps. And what, we are forced to play one playlist again, made mostly of forge maps? If this is the case, the game would become boring just as quick as Halo 4 and Reach did, and again you would see a huge decline in the population.

Sprint is not going anywhere. People need to get this through their skulls. I'm just as big a Halo fan as anyone else, but we need to understand that Halo isn't leading the way in competitive FPS games the way it did before. I want Halo 5 to be awesome to be able to watch awesome competition just like we did before, but we need to learn to adapt to the times, gentlemen. The closest we're gonna get to No Sprint is the option to turn it off. I agree 100% that Sprint ruins map design, I'm not saying it doesn't. However, given how big Halo 5 is supposed to be, I don't find it unreasonable for us to ask for No Sprint maps to be incorporated. With a dedicated playlist, classic No Sprint-focused maps (Midship, Sanctuary, etc.) as well as new competitive maps should be put in for our competitive community. I don't want to start a pointless argument, but we need to acknowledge the fact that sprint is not gonna be removed completely. It's just not gonna happen, regardless of whether people like it or not.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Sprint won't go, just look at the conversation that Gandhi/Snipedown had this morning with Quinn. Gandhi basically said Sprint is fine so long as there is quicker killtimes. As soon as the Pros starting saying Sprint is fine, we're ultimately fucked.

The other delusion is that people think Sprint will be taken out/optional. There is no way that 343 are going to build maps for Sprint and Maps for No sprint. It'll be one or the other, and it'll be Sprint. 

They put Sprint in innate and it'd rustle too many casuals jimmies to remove it again. It's there to stay.

Sprint is horrible, broken and terrible for Halo. I'm not saying it'll stay because it's a reasonable/good feature, but it's too late for them to remove it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprint is not going anywhere. People need to get this through their skulls. I'm just as big a Halo fan as anyone else, but we need to understand that Halo isn't leading the way in competitive FPS games the way it did before. I want Halo 5 to be awesome to be able to watch awesome competition just like we did before, but we need to learn to adapt to the times, gentlemen. The closest we're gonna get to No Sprint is the option to turn it off. I agree 100% that Sprint ruins map design, I'm not saying it doesn't. However, given how big Halo 5 is supposed to be, I don't find it unreasonable for us to ask for No Sprint maps to be incorporated. With a dedicated playlist, classic No Sprint-focused maps (Midship, Sanctuary, etc.) as well as new competitive maps should be put in for our competitive community. I don't want to start a pointless argument, but we need to acknowledge the fact that sprint is not gonna be removed completely. It's just not gonna happen, regardless of whether people like it or not.

What I gathered from this statement:

1) We should use a broken mechanic because it's in all the other games

2) We aren't leading the genre, so lets continue to incorporate what made this happen

3) This mechanic breaks map design, and we want good maps, so we need this feature (lolwut)

4) Stop informing 343i that this feature is broken because it won't get removed (no evidence for this)

Now I'm going to give you reasons to stop posting garbage:

1) You're wrong

2) Telling others not to post their opinion that has plenty of support and evidence behind it by telling them to stop with no evidence

3) You aren't going to get hired, stop acting like you understand the market how and to make a profitable game

4) I can't stress this enough. You're Wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Hardcore playlist needs the basics. Make it old school Halo mechanics, and they can do anything they want with Infinity slayer and spartan ops.

why should other players suffer from horrible features because they don't want to play hardcore settings? sprint/flinch needs to be removed from the entire game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Sprint is not going anywhere. People need to get this through their skulls. I'm just as big a Halo fan as anyone else, but we need to understand that Halo isn't leading the way in competitive FPS games the way it did before.

not even going to finish reading that entire post.

halo fell off the map once it started introducing things like sprint. thus one would conclude that sprint is the cause

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with a lot of these posts, opinions and perspectives. But for me unfortunately is a bit hard to imagine a Halo with none of these issues when Halo is underground in terms of Multiplayer. 

If 343 seriously get it and do their best to improve Halo, we'll see more than one of these things come true.

Although people will say we're beating a dead horse, it's imperative that we do.

If we keep grinding at what needs to happen, refining why etc, if Halo 5 launches and has all the shit we don't want, we can be confident that there was nothing we could have done and Halo is #Dad

• Upvote (+1) 5

@@KangarooJack For all I know that may be true, but that is not the attitude we want around here. We're past bagging on Halo 4 just for the hell of it, or at least we should be. Right now is all about raising awareness of these issues to solve them in "future projects." Being overly negative and making this forum uninviting for the very people we want to convince is not worth a few precious green internet points.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm going to keep saying it. 

Halo doesn't need to be the innovator anymore. It revolutionized the FPS world already.

It just needed to stay the same with slight upgrades throughout the years. (ie, Activision/Blizzards strategy)

I've been playing Halo CE on the computer and it's still the great game I always loved. I can play it nonstop without thinking about any other games. I get on Halo 4 and immediately want to play Black Ops 2 over it....that makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I feel like as a community we have sort of "ramped down" (myself included) on discussing the major problems that occurred in Halo 4.  This is for a few reasons in my opinion: We all feel like we are beating dead horses (and we are), or the community feels like 343 isn't listening, etc, etc.  But even though the topics get repetitive / boring, I feel like we still need to keep bringing these issues up in order to make it 100% CLEAR that us as Halo fans do not like or enjoy these features whatsoever. 

BE SURE TO VOTE HERE IN THE WAYPOINT THREAD AS WELL

Off the top of my head

- Remove Sprint.

- We need In Game Ranks / League play.

- We need Descoping.

- NEED Spectator Mode.

- No Loadouts.

- Random Ordinance gone.

- Armor Abilities gone or heavily overhauled so they are at least balanced.

- AUTO FLAG PICKUP GONE.

- Flag Juggling needs to return.

- KoTH needs to be fixed.

- Throwing the Oddball needs to go.

- Join in progress GONE. 

- We need more Arena Maps. (Halo 4 had so many btb maps)

Someone RT'd a player from the Greenbay Packers talking about Halo 2 on my timeline - and just got me thinking about all this crap again. lol.  

a59eb4c6644cd965ba16d3ff22c3b69c.png

dead-horse.gif

Everything you said i agree with........

Wrong. The current trend in FPS games (aka. What people nowadays buy and what makes gaming studios money) is being able to sprint.

In general, the type of people who want sprint in their every game are not the type of people who will like Halo. Long kill times, aliens, cartoony graphics, shooting that requires more input than who sees who first etc.

Halo 4 has proven what many people could have already told 343: while sprint in general may be popular, sprint + Halo does not equal popular Halo.

The chances of sprint being removed completely are basically zero

While it may seem highly unlikely that sprint will be removed, that is not the same as basically zero. I can't see it happening either, but I'd rather they knew what we really thought.

you need to let go of the nostalgia that our halo community can't seem to get over and realize that.

If we are going by your definition of "nostalgia", which seems to be wanting the fundamental parts of Halo to be respected as time goes on, then nostalgia is a good thing.

Having the option to turn it off, along with descoping and great maps will be perfect, especially if we're gonna be allowed a community run playlist like the one we had with Ghost running Throwdown.

Maps are still designed with certain mechanics in mind. If sprint is default in matchmaking, then we will see that reflected in the maps. A custom game option to turn sprint off will not negate that, unfortunately.

That will allow us to tweak the settings to make it optimal, competitive, balanced and, most importantly, FUN. The more options we have, the better the playlist will be, IMHO.

I certainly hope we get the options at the very least, but I have to agree with ciutchism that we should be asking for what we want, as opposed to what we think we might realistically get.

If we were all to say: "please give us the option to turn it off in custom games", then they might get the impression that we like sprint, but that we would like to play without it every now and again in customs, which clearly isn't the case.