Joseph

Halo Problems

Halo Issues  

274 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD SPRINT/FLINCH STAY IN HALO?

• Yes, both mechanics belong in Halo.
    • Sprint belongs, but Flinch should be taken out.
    • Flinch belongs, but Sprint should be taken out.
    • No, neither mechanic belongs in Halo.

Yes faster minimum kill time, but with the increase in aiming difficulty, does sprint not just mess this up?

Key question is why, nobody really asked for this.

modders can't tinker without your express permission?

modders can't tinker without your express permission?

No its called feedback. People are clamming for things that ovr is nearly finished working on, like a real CTF, not sprint.

No its called feedback. People are clamming for things that ovr is nearly finished working on, like a real CTF, not sprint.

No-one's paying them to do it.  They don't have any obligation to stick to a schedule or specific list of things to add.  So I don't see why they can't do some mods simply because they want to.  The only thing changed was sprint duration and cooldown, which hardly sounds as intensive as making old-style CTF.

If you'd like mods that are only tailored to your interests, maybe you should learn to mod.

No-one's paying them to do it.  They don't have any obligation to stick to a schedule or specific list of things to add.  So I don't see why they can't do some mods simply because they want to.  The only thing changed was sprint duration and cooldown, which hardly sounds as intensive as making old-style CTF.

If you'd like mods that are only tailored to your interests, maybe you should learn to mod.

lol fuck you got defensive quickly.

And I used CTF as an example because I know he pretty much has it working apart from some annoying announcer problems.

And I used CTF as an example because I know he pretty much has it working apart from some annoying announcer problems.

didn't mean to sound defensive.  just dont see why you were questioning what he did in his spare time.

didn't mean to sound defensive.  just dont see why you were questioning what he did in his spare time.

So are you questioning me about why Im questioning him about what he does in his spare time in my spare time?

So are you questioning me about why Im questioning him about what he does in his spare time in my spare time?

it also felt like your annoyance with the actual thing was what led you to try to find fault w/ the person doing it, not any actual concern for time wasted or what other people wanted.

it also felt like your annoyance with the actual thing was what led you to try to find fault w/ the person doing it, not any actual concern for time wasted or what other people wanted.

Nah, Ovr tends to keep us up to date/ask for feedback on here/Skype so im sure he wont mind me questioning sprint and is probably aware of the natural opposition people have with sprint.

Nah, Ovr tends to keep us up to date/ask for feedback on here/Skype so im sure he wont mind me questioning sprint and is probably aware of the natural opposition people have with sprint.

I see.

Yeah, the sprint thing was just something on the side.

The issue I had before was that there was no cooldown and it allowed you to do a stutter step when you keep hitting sprint when you doh t have any. I had to fix that issue and overall pretty much solved the biggest problem with sprint which is removing it's use as a crutch by delaying it's availablity a few seconds.

If ya'll want to help test ctf I'll be on tonight.

Sprint in any shape or form is terrible. No matter how much you may try to tweak or balance the mechanic it sucks for Halo. No sprint or die.

Yeah, by default sprint is disabled in promod but if people were so inclined to play with it enabled, it must not be insanely broken/op.

Posted this in the Iron Gaming thread but I think it's a problem so I'll post here as well. It's in relation to all the pros arguing with Halo 4 kids on twitter last night.

You might think I'm crazy but in reality those players are getting older and older while the Formals of the world are going to start emerging in Halo 5. And instead of shunning them and saying things like, "if Roy still played he'd shit on you," I think we will need to embrace the new, young kids that rise to the top. Everyone needs to be more accepting of young new players that enter the competitive community in order for Halo to rise to the top again.

Also, I think people give the young Halo 4 kids so much shit because there haven't really been real competitions for them to prove themselves in since 2011/Columbus 2012. There has been a 2-3 year period where old pros have been getting older and new players could be emerging as top talent but no one really knows because of the lack of competition.

Basically what I'm saying is stop being dicks to little kids and living in the past worshiping old pros that won't be able to hang anymore when Halo 5 comes around. Sure, many of them will still be at the top but I have a feeling some of these Halo 4 kids are going to be at the top as well and if they do succeed, saying things like "it's okay you weren't good at Halo 2 or Halo 3. Halo 5 means nothing," will do nothing but bad things for the community.

If Halo 5 does end up with a solid competitive scene, we shouldn't judge players based on how good they were at other games. If someone like Bubudubu for instance turns out to be better than someone like Cloud in Halo 5, it probably means he could beat Cloud in Halo 3 too. Just because he was too young during Halo 3s prime, doesn't mean he wouldnt be able to dominate older pros in a few years. Look at Smash for instance. Ken was the best for such a long time. He got older and players like PC Chris started to beat him. Just because older pros WERE the best, doesn't mean they always will be. We need to let new talent shine to be successful.

Just my 2 cents on the matter

• Upvote (+1) 2

Posted this in the Iron Gaming thread but I think it's a problem so I'll post here as well. It's in relation to all the pros arguing with Halo 4 kids on twitter last night.

You might think I'm crazy but in reality those players are getting older and older while the Formals of the world are going to start emerging in Halo 5. And instead of shunning them and saying things like, "if Roy still played he'd shit on you," I think we will need to embrace the new, young kids that rise to the top. Everyone needs to be more accepting of young new players that enter the competitive community in order for Halo to rise to the top again.

Also, I think people give the young Halo 4 kids so much shit because there haven't really been real competitions for them to prove themselves in since 2011/Columbus 2012. There has been a 2-3 year period where old pros have been getting older and new players could be emerging as top talent but no one really knows because of the lack of competition.

Basically what I'm saying is stop being dicks to little kids and living in the past worshiping old pros that won't be able to hang anymore when Halo 5 comes around. Sure, many of them will still be at the top but I have a feeling some of these Halo 4 kids are going to be at the top as well and if they do succeed, saying things like "it's okay you weren't good at Halo 2 or Halo 3. Halo 5 means nothing," will do nothing but bad things for the community.

If Halo 5 does end up with a solid competitive scene, we shouldn't judge players based on how good they were at other games. If someone like Bubudubu for instance turns out to be better than someone like Cloud in Halo 5, it probably means he could beat Cloud in Halo 3 too. Just because he was too young during Halo 3s prime, doesn't mean he wouldnt be able to dominate older pros in a few years. Look at Smash for instance. Ken was the best for such a long time. He got older and players like PC Chris started to beat him. Just because older pros WERE the best, doesn't mean they always will be. We need to let new talent shine to be successful.

Just my 2 cents on the matter

How many times you placed top 32? None? Scrub GTFO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How many times you placed top 32? None? Scrub GTFO.

How many times have I placed outside of top 8? None. GOAT. Staying the fuck in. :Kappa

• Upvote (+1) 1

How many times have I placed outside of top 8? None. GOAT. Staying the fuck in. :Kappa

Halo Reach top 8 kid, gtfo 1 v 1 ***.

But really, I agree with your point, I feel like I say this a milltion times, but the FGC are a community where pros reguarly mingle with the "noobs", playing games, giving tips etc.

Probably part down to MLG putting pros on a pedestal back in the day.

Unfortunately it just further shows how immature the Pros are :(

I wanna say that that's because most people who have gaming as a serious part of their life probably aren't as mature or responsible as those in the working world. That's probably going to be taken the wrong way though. Most would argue that other pro communities aren't as bad, and they're probably right. I don't know what the fighting community is like. 

I wanna say that that's because most people who have gaming as a serious part of their life probably aren't as mature or responsible as those in the working world. That's probably going to be taken the wrong way though. Most would argue that other pro communities aren't as bad, and they're probably right. I don't know what the fighting community is like. 

Not really, I know many people in the working world that is even more immature.  The problem is that like Quake's community, Halo's community has a huge sense of pride.  Both of them were the true first competitive shooters for PC and Consoles respectfully with tournaments and money behind them.  That pride gives them a sense of entitlement.  If you ever go on the Quake Live forums, the first thing you would notice is how horribly elitist the community forums are.  Essentially every single game is so beneath Quake because it takes the most skill and came first that anyone who isn't good or agrees doesn't have a valid opinion.  That's similar to how the Halo competitive community is to others.  "We brought competitive console gaming where it is today, so we better we the respect we deserve."  

Fighting games do have their own issues, but a big reason why many think that the FGC isn't as bad is mostly because it's a more down to earth and generally sticks with its values.  It feels like they are more for gamers then they are for profit.  And that's a really important thing.  Gamers are generally very anti-capitalist it seems.  We look down on businesses doing whatever they want to make profit instead of making sacrifices for what's best for everyone. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I also think the FGC is different because of fighting games not being the big uber mainstream things they used to be.  Now shooters fill that role, and the fighting game community is held together more by the people in it than the marketing dollars behind their genre.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I believe this thread as in every other thread ever created on any halo forum has turned into a competitive pissing contest. Regardless of any one's opinion on whether or not HCE or H2 or H3 or REACH was the best competitive game is irrelevant. Or talking about old pros or new pros, none of this matters. 343 is never going to focus on competitive halo or make sure the game is competitive. We are a huge minority compared to the other 99.9% players/ perspective buyers.

Now to me the funny thing is every thing on our wish list to make the game competitive is what actually needs to happen in order for the game to be successful. Not in competitive terms but in terms of simple play time. H4 was awful not because it was not competitive but because it was awful. 343 managed to upset/forget/piss off (whatever you want to call it) every part of the halo community. From the forgers to new players to old players (meaning old halo fans) competitive players, custom game players and anyone else who might stumble onto halo 4. The game was simply not fun and there is no point trying to pinpoint or say well if only this had happen..........

Numbers do not lie, statistically speaking less than one% or 0% for all intents and purposes people were playing this game 4 months after launch. 4 MONTHS! That is insane for a halo game. Roughly 9 million units have been sold world wide and I cant remember but something like 5-6 million sold maybe more during first few months. 25-40K players (which is generous) is way less than 1% compared to 5-6 to million and might as well be rounded down to zero. Those figures have nothing to do with if only they had made the game more competitive out of the box the game would have been successful. 

I rambled a little bit but the gist is that H4 is an awful game and no one played it shortly after they bought it. If 343 wants there fan base back then they need to ditch this new model they came up with and return to their roots. Not to satisfy the competitive community but so that people will actually play this game longer than 2 weeks and then return it because there are better options out there.Or better put other games that halo tried to emulate that simply do it better. 

the competitive community may not be the majority, but they are the majority that will determine the population level of the game after the early period.  Wether by simply playing the game themselves or by their excitement making some of the casual players think about seriously getting into the game and practicing.  regular, popular and exciting tournaments make people keep playing and raise the visibility of Halo as a place for competitive shooter players, and again increases the playerbase.  Why is that important?  Because a bigger, longer-lasting playerbase means more people to buy multiplayer DLC, the main moneymaker for Halo games once they've launched and most everyone who will ever buy it has bought it.

Not all of the ways they could cater to the competitive community will be what everyone wants, but it has an overall important effect.

I don't think you can say they don't have reasons to appeal to that community.

I mean, if you just want to assume the worst and hope to be surprised, I guess that's fine.

Casual games are great for casuals. Competitive games are great for competitive players AND casuals. I'm hoping 343 understands this after the mess that was Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Havent nerfed the announcer yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why does every weapon in halo 4 sound like ass? BR (human weapon) sounds like Suppressor (forerunner) sounds like Storm Rifle (covie). All metallic grinding bullshit like a dude playing a washboard.

• Upvote (+1) 2