The General

Is too much hype a bad thing for a future Halo installment?

I'll just leave this here.

hype 1  (hīp) Slang

n.
1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion
2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material
3. An advertising or promotional ploy
4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception

Excessive, exaggerated, ploy, deception.

Hype is always a bad thing. Hype is only used when there isn't any "there" there.

Does OP mean excitement? That's different - but excitement for something usually requires foreknowledge that the cause of the excitement is a good thing.

hype for a video game isnt a bad thing even if its for halo, in fact halo needs hype now a days because of halo reach and halo 4 population decline to put it into words halo 5 actually is getting good hype beccause 343 knows where they went wrong and have had time to understand how to fix it 

Pressure as in that they have hired Bravo, Neighbor, Dersky and Ghost within the last year. We, as in the halo community are expecting a lot from them for comp. halo out of the box. Thats the pressure that I was talking about.

Yeah, like Ogre 2 said "Halo gave up on me, I didn't give up on Halo". If the :goat:  is saying that about Halo, you know its not good. The comp Halo scene cant survive being ignored any longer, it breaks my heart to see it in the state its in now and if H5 is more of the same our scene that has been around since 2003 will be done. I am more optimistic with the recent hirings and I expect ranked play-lists with Josh Menke and a possible tournament play-list at launch. Spec mode is needed too. I think if H5 gets those things and is customizable at launch we can make it work but its up to 343 to deliver. 

Hype is perfectly fine if the developer can deliver.

Before entering this topic this was exactly my answer.

Well... we don't have the same hype as Halo 4 right? I mean, we were hyped as shit because it was 343i and then when the news started Coachmayne took the mantle of Dad's. By now, we're not really that hype, some are hopeful while others are already saying is shit. So... we have to wait. :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

The last few years especially, so many games have been hyped up by so many people, and have either been bad (Halo 4) or been alright but not great in the long run. The only game that lived up to the hype, and exceeded it IMO was Black Ops 2. The work Treyarch put into the game - combined with their support of competitive COD - had that game very hyped up in the COD community. I think a lot of people expected it to be good, but I don't think anyone expected competitive call of duty to blow up like it did in 2013. If the hype is justified, then obviously it's not a bad thing.

I'm excited for the Halo 5 campaign - multiplayer I'm skeptical about and I'm holding onto one last glimmer of hope. Even with how Halo 4 went - I look at Black Ops 2 and the months leading up to it's release. Treyarch brought people like Hastro on board to play the game, give their feedback and suggestions strictly for the eSports side of the game - along with people like Nadeshot and some other COD pro players and personalities - and it definitely paid off.  No COD game past or present has compared to Black Ops 2 in terms of "living up the hype" and more.

Now, Halo 5 is in a similar position to how Black Ops 2 was before it's release. With people like Neighbor, Ghostayame, etc playing the game, giving their feedback, suggestions, etc. its the one last glimmer of hope I have and I really hope Halo 5 lives up to any hype that's created for it this year. Like everyone else, I just want a fun, competitive Halo game to play again.

If the amount of hyping is equal to or dwarfed by the amount that the general community thinks the game delivered on said hype, it's not a bad thing.

If the hype exceeds the amount that the general community thinks the game delivered on said hype, it's a bad thing.

Am I gonna buy Halo 5?

Yup.

Am I gonna get hyped before it comes out?

Nope. 

(been consistently kicked harder in the dick each release since H3)

• Upvote (+1) 1