Sign in to follow this  
Hitman

Accurate hip fire and ADS in Destiny?

post-1877-0-79378800-1390542657.png

Interesting exchange here about the gun-play it seems fans of both shooting styles will be able to play this game how they wish to. Obviously alot of Bungie Sci-fi FPS fans are used to their R+G style of MP from previous games but alot of people these days also like primarily ADS FPS. Has Bungie found a way to incorporate both styles into Destiny and does this make you more excited for Destiny? Will there be mid-air 180 NoScOpeS still?  :P

Yeah . You Can see this in the trailers . 

But there is bloom when you hip-fire .

Hmmmm....I hope that is not on all weapons. Josh Hamrick(Reach Sandbox lead) is the Sandbox lead though so I guess that wouldn't be too surprising.

,Used to be the same for me but I'm starting to enjoy it now. Just feels like a reinvented zoom .

Except you dont really zoom in....and zooming in does not prevent you from moving.

I guess you can call it preference, but I much prefer the classic cross-hair style for twitch shots, R+G aspects of shooters, less screen clutter, faster pace+less "hardcoping" with ADS down hall-ways, and just in general you can "sculpt" almost any shot or angle with the combination of movement+accurate hip-fire/cross-hair whereas ADS I see as a limitation for a more "realistic" immersion. I am not ignorant that some modern FPS need and work better with ADS, but I would like to see more FPS that try to mix it up mechanically and offer both styles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its one of the big reasons I am not as excited about Destiny, the only thing that keeps me interested is the art since I am not so sure about how the game play itself will turn out. Hopefully the Beta they are going to have this summer will give us a good glimpse of everything and a chance to see if the games worth bothering with.

Sage Merrill created one of the best weapons ever created, the shadowrun rifle. It had huge amounts of bloom that worked in a way where it allowed skilled players to win their battles a high majority of the time.

Unfortunately if was a complicated weapon that was dumbed down and forced into halo reach as the "DMR".

Many dislike bloom, and I did in halo reach. However I don't discredit the concept of bloom because I've seen how it is supposed to work when it's incorporated in a game that it's intended for. (Halo is not one of them)

I haven't seen how bloom works just yet in destiny to determine. I don't like the sound of it but some of their team at least has experience in a functional bloom

Has Bungie found a way to incorporate both styles into Destiny and does this make you more excited for Destiny?

I think that is exactly what you should take from that tweet.

I have no preference one way or the other. If Bungie (or 343i) were trying to add ADS into a Halo game, that would be one thing. However, since Destiny is a new combat sandbox from the ground up, I not overly concerned with Bungie's design decisions. It's not like they are just throwing darts on the wall and seeing what sticks... from all accounts they are play-testing the living hell out of this game.

I think that is exactly what you should take from that tweet.

I have no preference one way or the other. If Bungie (or 343i) were trying to add ADS into a Halo game, that would be one thing. However, since Destiny is a new combat sandbox from the ground up, I not overly concerned with Bungie's design decisions. It's not like they are just throwing darts on the wall and seeing what sticks... from all accounts they are play-testing the living hell out of this game.

I grew up with Doom, Unreal Tournament, Goldeneye, original RS games, Halo 1+2,ect... so obviously I am inclined towards R+G FPS. it just annoys me when I see modern FPS players write off a shooter because it doesn't have ironsights/ADS like even kids were asking for it in the new CS game. That mentality that every new shooter needs to be about realism needs to die this generation in order for FPS to offer diversity again. Its not a knock against shooters that do go for a more realistic approach/setting(I loved RS like I said), its just its the fan-boys of those shooters that refuse to try other shooters because its not what they know. Anyways, I hope both styles are offered because Bungie+Valve are really the only AAA devs left that make R+G MP FPS. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I am starting to think that this is  more COD + Borderlands + WOW with some Halo elements. Also when he says that you can shoot from the hip, I wouldn't consider Halo's aiming as shooting from the hip.

I am starting to think that this is  more COD + Borderlands + WOW with some Halo elements. Also when he says that you can shoot from the hip, I wouldn't consider Halo's aiming as shooting from the hip.

Yes it is, you primarily R+G in Halo MP. There is a decent amount of scoping as well especially with rifles, but scoping in only zooms in and doesn't deter movement. 

Bungie going full ADS would be bad for business, their MP fan-base is very privy to the R+G play-style from their previous FPS games and alienating them would not be a smart thing to do. Not to mention there is going to be double-jumps(and other advanced movement techniques),  supers where you fly in the air, Armor/health(kill-times going to be medium from what I have heard), rocket launchers, pistols, the game seems like it will need and work well with hip-fire mechanics. I dont mind if they mix it up and offer a hybrid shooting style, and all evidence says that is how it will work.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bungie going full ADS would be bad for business, their MP fan-base is very privy to the R+G play-style from their previous FPS games and alienating them would not be a smart thing to do.

Yeah, there is truth in that, but at some point we also have to accept that not every design decision where Bungie steps away from the Halo norm is meant to be "alienating" or should be taken as such. And that statement isn't necessarily directed at you, Hitman.

I'm just saying that, in general, Destiny should be treated as a new game with a different sandbox, with different mechanics, that is going to require different tactics. If Bungie was making Halo 5 and trying to win back (or win over) the Halo fanbase, that would be one thing. However, Bungie is making a new IP that will ultimately (over time) garner and cultivate its own fanbase. Which I'm sure will be a good mix of long time Bungie fans as well as many newcomers, all willing to rally around a new sandbox.

Sage Merrill created one of the best weapons ever created, the shadowrun rifle. It had huge amounts of bloom that worked in a way where it allowed skilled players to win their battles a high majority of the time.

Unfortunately if was a complicated weapon that was dumbed down and forced into halo reach as the "DMR".

Many dislike bloom, and I did in halo reach. However I don't discredit the concept of bloom because I've seen how it is supposed to work when it's incorporated in a game that it's intended for. (Halo is not one of them)

I haven't seen how bloom works just yet in destiny to determine. I don't like the sound of it but some of their team at least has experience in a functional bloom

Now that i think of it, bloom on auto rifles can be a good thing(not just spray+pray). It really was the DMR bloom that made no sense in Halo Reach but it would make better sense from a gameplay perspective and lore wise in Destiny. Especially if the kill-times are faster.

I do want my R+G weapons though, if im staring through iron sights for 5 minutes fighting a boss I dont think I would be entertained. It was one of my problems with Borderlands, gun-play and movement depth could of been so much more then it is.

my fav kinda ADS is the ones where it's only really necessary at the longer ranges.  So I'm down.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Except you dont really zoom in....and zooming in does not prevent you from moving.

I guess you can call it preference, but I much prefer the classic cross-hair style for twitch shots, R+G aspects of shooters, less screen clutter, faster pace+less "hardcoping" with ADS down hall-ways, and just in general you can "sculpt" almost any shot or angle with the combination of movement+accurate hip-fire/cross-hair whereas ADS I see as a limitation for a more "realistic" immersion. I am not ignorant that some modern FPS need and work better with ADS, but I would like to see more FPS that try to mix it up mechanically and offer both styles.

I've had this discussion before on THC. ADS does not mean it has to hinder your movement. All ADS is, is a view of shooting. If they really wanted to they could make everything the same when in ADS, just the difference is that you're aiming differently from hip fire.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the ADS is anything like COD, then its pretty much COD with Laser, energy weapons, plasma rifles, and futuristic machine guns and rockets. 

Destiny will be be a good campaign and group adventure game but it will not be competitive.

Oh yeah, that's right. Bungie fucking made Halo Reach. Why was I excited for this game? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If the ADS is anything like COD, then its pretty much COD with Laser, energy weapons, plasma rifles, and futuristic machine guns and rockets. 

Destiny will be be a good campaign and group adventure game but it will not be competitive.

Does anyone have any kind of faith left at this point? I am genuinely curious of any of the hardcore fans have faith in bungie to make a competitive fps seeing is how  it was arguably the MP AND the SP that made halo a success. It seem strange they would willingly make a sub par competitive experience when their bread and butter before was halo mp..

Does anyone have any kind of faith left at this point? I am genuinely curious of any of the hardcore fans have faith in bungie to make a competitive fps seeing is how  it was arguably the MP AND the SP that made halo a success. It seem strange they would willingly make a sub par competitive experience when their bread and butter before was halo mp..

And then they made Reach. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not too sure why people are even hoping for a competitive shooter from this game? Yes it would be nice, but clearly as of right now it looks and sounds like they want to create a universe that you and your friends can explore together.

The universe and new story is why i'm excited, as any other gamer should be unless the only thing you ever play is MP. If you do play SP games then why aren't you excited?

It's not that i don't think they can, it's just more so that FPS's have gone in a different direction. The focus on shooters is else where, like accesibility, making things easier for the player.