Sign in to follow this  
ContrxL

Kynan Pearson leaves 343

I thought CA did all the maps?

Also lol at the seventh post.

They built and tested the maps. I Think Kynan designed them on Paper

I'm really grateful that he made Forge Island for us. That alone has added months of replay value, potential, creativity, and complexity to the game. Thank you, Kynan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Being someone who actually enjoyed Halo 4's maps, its actually a shame he has to leave... I really liked him.

Edit: I was afraid of these forums becoming a flame fest. Let's learn from THC's mistakes and NOT downvote people's opinions ok?

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Hes moving to Austin Texas so its pretty reasonable to suspect he might be getting a job at Certain Affinity.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Being someone who actually enjoyed Halo 4's maps, its actually a shame he has to leave... I really liked him.

Really? Apart from Skyline and Haven I can't think of any 343 made maps that are good. I even prefer Reach launch maps to H4's. 

@Faith It's kind of arrogant and unnappreciative to say that. Who do you think made Haven, the Halo 4 equivalent of Midship? Who helped design the Forge maps, without which we wouldn't have solid maps like Simplex and remakes like Shutout? Show some respect.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@Faith It's kind of arrogant and unnappreciative to say that. Who do you think made Haven, the Halo 4 equivalent of Midship? Who helped design the Forge maps, without which we wouldn't have solid maps like Simplex and remakes like Shutout? Show some respect.

You do realize neither of these maps really use the geometry around them right? They're basically made in air. They could've given us a completely blank space and those could've been made.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@VelociT Good point; I was simply trying to list maps that most everyone would know, but it's true that those maps do not incorporate the natural terrain, although he probably had a lot to do with the new pallets. To reinforce my point, those matchmaking and Forge canvases have been the outlet of creativity for hundreds of players. Take Forge Island, a gigantic sandbox full of natural items and new opportunities. Kynan didn't need to make it--he wasn't even getting paid. It was a gift to the community. I'm genuinely thankful for that and his other work. Without his effort, aPK's remake of "Sanctuary" wouldn't be nearly as beautiful or playable (due to reduced framerate lag). I'm sad he's leaving but also hopeful for his endeavors.

Can't tell if srs or....? 

Really? Apart from Skyline and Haven I can't think of any 343 made maps that are good. I even prefer Reach launch maps to H4's. 

Abandon, Haven, and Adrift (Flag) I consider very very good maps. Solace got a lot of hate in the competitive community due to the guidelines it did not fulfill (no lines of sight, campable bases) but as a casual map for Slayer and CTF, I enjoy it very much.

Complex, similar to Last Resort or Standoff from H3, I believe is a map that can work for Casual 4v4 AND 8v8... I have no problems with most of it, except that one big line of sight across the map (Next to the "factory", and next to the "center bulding")

In BTB, I enjoy a lot of the maps despite crappy Warthogs and OP plasma nades early on... Ragnorak was really well done, Exile is fast paced and fun. Longbow, Vortex, and Meltdown are all very competitive Dominion maps and are very beautiful and fun to play on.

Harvest is one of the best CTF maps in the game, Wreckage I find very fun, Shatter is eh.

Skyline... well its Skyline, lets be real here. Monolith is great, I wish it were in V4, I love it. I hate Landfall with its original power weapon setup (Shotgun and SAW).

I didn't play a lot of Castle but Perdition I enjoyed the hell out of and Daybreak was solid. 

F--- Outcast. Let that map die.

Ravine is nice, Impact has a cool skybox and some interesting areas, and Forge Island is our best Forge Map.

So yes... I do enjoy H4's maps.

Haven is not the equivalent of Midship lol. Simplex and Onyx are similar to Midship, Haven has its own style.  

Haven is not the equivalent of Midship lol. Simplex and Onyx are similar to Midship, Haven has its own style.  Also, I'm pretty sure Simplex was created by Salot and Shutout from another community individual, not Kynan Pearson.

It was. He meant kynan made the forge maps that those maps were made on.

Going off what AboveInfinity said, the maps are very good. In fact, it's not the maps that are the problem; it's the game types. I can destroy the essence of Big Team Battle with arguably the most evil thing to come to Halo: Custom load-outs.

DMR/Light Rifle: Stultifies and suppresses map movement, promotes infantry camping.

Plasma Pistol: Makes vehicles extremely vulnerable to hijacking and grenade-planting.

2x Plasma grenades: Makes driving vehicles suicide.

I don't mean to turn this into a rant against Halo 4 multiplayer. Kynan did a great job; it's not necessarily his fault that some of the maps play poorly.

@Sam I meant Haven is like Midship in that anything can be played on it: Slayer, CTF, KotH, Extraction... It's a solid map and deserves being credited--he does.

It was. He meant kynan made the forge maps that those maps were made on.

Yeah misread, my bad. 3:30am here. :P

@Sam I meant Haven is like Midship in that anything can be played on it: Slayer, CTF, KotH, Extraction... It's a solid map and deserves being credited--he does.

Well, CTF doesn't but I agree with the rest. It is a good map, just a shame every other launch map is bad. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whether he's working for CA or not, I wonder what project he's working on. Having someone so friendly and supportive of the community makes me really stoked for whatever he's involved in.

• Downvote (-1) 1

@kkrotz Before truly good small maps are made, there needs to be no default sprint. Having more options creates so many more options.

I remember I met Kynan @ PAX and was asking him whether or not certain weapons were hitscan. He pronounced the Carbine as "the Car-bean". Can't unhear.

That's how you are supposed to pronounce carbine.

That's the way all the gun fanatics I have talked to have pronounced it anyway.

Yeah, what's up with that? Maybe it is "car-bean", lol. Just no one pronounces it that way where I'm from.

So essentially he joined 343, made a bunch of shitty maps and then left? What a cool dude.

Yeah, what a cool dude.

But hallelujah he's gone.

I hope to see Skyline remade in Halo 5 though!

Edit: I was afraid of these forums becoming a flame fest. Let's learn from THC's mistakes and NOT downvote people's opinions ok?

Amen