Sign in to follow this  
bangsnipe

Walshy best halo 2 player

No of course not. Their chemistry obviously helped them set up for that situation. I disagree though and think players can have a type of mentality where they prioritize various things differently. They all have to fill various roles at different points in the game making specific roles useless. I just think there's a noticeable difference from the guy who rushed P2/P3 everytime getting most of the kills, and the guy who sat window with 7 sensitivity shooting anything and everything he could see.

I don't know if I would call them roles specifically. I don't think everyone had the same cookie cutter style though.

That's what I mean when I say "playstyles" instead of "roles". Yeah, it's semantics, but by using the word "role" people are getting the complete wrong idea about what's going on during a Halo match. For someone to constantly end up at Pink 2 firing in through window is a testament to their own personal habits - if you want to win at Halo, you have to prepare to be fluid in your responsibilities and quick to react according to what the situation calls for. Other than that, it's mostly a dice roll as to what actually ends up going on during a match. 

Halo 2, of course, exacerbated this problem notoriously because of its wide-open approach to map design, so that parking your ass on Car 3 and firing/lobbing grenades in to stall enemy caps was actually a legitimate thing, or other bullshit "passive" approaches in the same vein. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That wasn't because somebody told Karma "try not to pull the flag so we can get our ace flag master GH057 in there".

Nobody is better at flag-running/ball-holding/bomb-arming than anybody else, and "support slayers" do not exist.

Just gonna say, yeah you can be a better ball holder/flag runner. I juke the entire team with the ball to help them(my team) out all the time online. As well with the flag.

You can manipulate what a team wants to do depending on your position with the OBJ.

Playstyles are playstyles. Teams either have chemistry or they don't.

Eh chemistry is on a spectrum if you ask me. Of course with some teams, it's really apparent when they add that member that creates the perfect chemistry in the team. Eg Ex Ghost to Carbon.

I got ogre 2 @ #1 and a few people tied for number two

Ogre2 really set the stage for competitive halo, and for that reason he is the Michael Jordan of halo

The goat

The OBJ/support role does exist. It may be not necessarily a role, but a playing style that fits into a teams play style/strats. They're also known as the "glue" of the team.

It exists because mlg leetpwnzor bad kids needed a label to diminish their insecurities about being shit at halo 3. let's not beat around the bush here.

"Objective players" didn't exist in halo 2 because so many strats were rotational and based on every player being capable of assuming any position in a setup. It's what separated the men from the boys. I don't think anyone can disagree that different teams had setups for a SPECIFIC GAMETYPE (like lockout ball) that involved a single player getting the majority of balltime (i.e. Shockwave on lockout ball) but at the same time if that person had the best awareness for that gametype, could watch window, had a great BR to damage b1 and bottom mid while running a b-tower strat then he should be the guy holding ball. I guess my point is that in halo 2 you couldn't get away with being an incomplete player, and players that would be considerered great "Objective players" were so well rounded and often took up slaying responsibility on other gametypes... It works the same way as well: Great slayers had some specific objective gametypes where they just always dominated objectives and consistently ran a lot of flags or capped balltime. Playing the objective in h2 smoothly required all four team members to in essence play obj, whether it be initiating slaying, blocking a spawn point to run flag (i.e. p1 on midship), Sniping kids out from car on sanc to run flag.... In halo 2 top 8 there were four labels: smart players and smarter players & good players and better players. Objective used to be a byproduct of good slaying, and idk when people stopped viewing it like that. Being a "good obj. player" in h2 was just as much about slaying power and having a great BR as it was actually playing objective.

I'm not sure where all the role bullshit started happening, it just opened the door for a lot of sub par (in the scope of the professional skillgap) players to "outkick their coverage" so to speak as far as placings go. Best eample of this is tots in h3. Not that i didn't think he was a funny guy and did some really great things, but i still don't get how some one can be a "great objective player" when they are spending almost half the game on spawn because they can't complete kills/are getting outclassed by the other team. Whatever good totz did as an "obj player" was completely undone by his inability to play against top competition.  He went like -189 at one tournament.... You don't consistently win games with people like that on your team.

And the full circle point which i've made before: That's why FB was so dominant in h2, overwhelming slaying power and a willingness to do what needed to be done at any given time. thats why they generally had great time spreads on ball gametypes and diverse numbers on flag games. There were no objective players on FB - just great halo players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It exists because mlg leetpwnzor bad kids needed a label to diminish their insecurities about being shit at halo 3. let's not beat around the bush here.

"Objective players" didn't exist in halo 2 because so many strats were rotational and based on every player being capable of assuming any position in a setup. It's what separated the men from the boys. I don't think anyone can disagree that different teams had setups for a SPECIFIC GAMETYPE (like lockout ball) that involved a single player getting the majority of balltime (i.e. Shockwave on lockout ball) but at the same time if that person had the best awareness for that gametype, could watch window, had a great BR to damage b1 and bottom mid while running a b-tower strat then he should be the guy holding ball. I guess my point is that in halo 2 you couldn't get away with being an incomplete player, and players that would be considerered great "Objective players" were so well rounded and often took up slaying responsibility on other gametypes... It works the same way as well: Great slayers had some specific objective gametypes where they just always dominated objectives and consistently ran a lot of flags or capped balltime. Playing the objective in h2 smoothly required all four team members to in essence play obj, whether it be initiating slaying, blocking a spawn point to run flag (i.e. p1 on midship), Sniping kids out from car on sanc to run flag.... In halo 2 top 8 there were four labels: smart players and smarter players & good players and better players. Objective used to be a byproduct of good slaying, and idk when people stopped viewing it like that. Being a "good obj. player" in h2 was just as much about slaying power and having a great BR as it was actually playing objective.

I'm not sure where all the role bullshit started happening, it just opened the door for a lot of sub par (in the scope of the professional skillgap) players to "outkick their coverage" so to speak as far as placings go. Best eample of this is tots in h3. Not that i didn't think he was a funny guy and did some really great things, but i still don't get how some one can be a "great objective player" when they are spending almost half the game on spawn because they can't complete kills/are getting outclassed by the other team. Whatever good totz did as an "obj player" was completely undone by his inability to play against top competition. He went like -189 at one tournament.... You don't consistently win games with people like that on your team.

And the full circle point which i've made before: That's why FB was so dominant in h2, overwhelming slaying power and a willingness to do what needed to be done at any given time. thats why they generally had great time spreads on ball gametypes and diverse numbers on flag games. There were no objective players on FB - just great halo players.

No it exists cause players who weren't the best at everything figured out another way to play without having the best shot in the world.

Like I said support/obj players do exist, there may not be a "role", but to deny success from an incomplete(referring to Totz as your example) player is to deny facts.

• Downvote (-1) 2

There's a lot more to slaying than your shot.

Well if you can't shoot the person who do expect to kill them? Slaying is to kill, not to put suppressive fire.

Of course there's nades and melees, but still.

Just sounds like OBJ is being generalized into slaying. Which is weird cause teams can be out slayed and still win OBJ .

Well if you can't shoot the person who do expect to kill them? Slaying is to kill, not to put suppressive fire.

Of course there's nades and melees, but still.

Just sounds like OBJ is being generalized into slaying. Which is weird cause teams can be out slayed and still win OBJ .

Go watch some Warlock 1v1s and tell me how many battles actually end in 7 carbine shots. 

Go watch some Warlock 1v1s and tell me how many battles actually end in 7 carbine shots.

You make someone one shot and they back up, that's surpressive fire. You don't need the best shot in the world to do that. Slaying is killing is it not?

Walshy has a winning record vs. every other pro in MLG history. Ogre 2 can't say that =D

But Og2 has more Championships :)

:goat:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Walshy has a winning record vs. every other pro in MLG history. Ogre 2 can't say that =D

Such a classic  :walshy: moment. Kids do not how to trash-talk these days without making it obnoxious. 

I'd like to make a case that Karma was the best individual Halo 2 player.  The man did not lose an FFA in 2006.  He also won Free For Alls in 2005 including that year's FFA national championship.  The only reason he did not win any in 2007 because he admittedly focused much more heavily on 4s that year.  Combine his once in a life time FFA win streak with his 4v4 event wins from '05-'07, including the '06 national championship that dethroned the original God Squad, and what more could you have asked from a player in Halo 2?

I'd like to make a case that Karma was the best individual Halo 2 player.  The man did not lose an FFA in 2006.  He also won Free For Alls in 2005 including that year's FFA national championship.  The only reason he did not win any in 2007 because he admittedly focused much more heavily on 4s that year.  Combine his once in a life time FFA win streak with his 4v4 event wins from '05-'07, including the '06 national championship that dethroned the original God Squad, and what more could you have asked from a player in Halo 2?

He very well might have been in 2006, although in 2007 Side+Ogre 2 were probably better. There were alot of great individual players in H2 that weren't as dominant in H3 due to the restrictions of the game. You wont ever see someone clear nationals three years into a comp title without dropping a map ever again.

• Upvote (+1) 1