Sign in to follow this  
Muggsy

Vote for a "Media" section!

Vote for a "Media" Section!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add a "Media" section to our forum?

There has been some demand for a "Media" section. We talked a bit about it and the consensus is that Media sections never do well, in terms of activity. Having a Media section also makes things a little sticky with users posting their Media related content in the General Discussion forum, rendering the Media section useless.

If you feel strongly about us adding a "Media" section, voice your opinion & concerns here.

If you vote for a "Media" section, what kind of content/threads would you like to see there?

Here are a few threads that come to mind.

• The Work in Progress Thread
  • Official GFX Thread
  • Montages

Basically anything Digital-Media related.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've been talking about a GFX section, but a whole media section would be awesome.

I tried making a thread or GFX, but it's just not enough.

Normally I would say no to this, but there are so many good editors on beyond's staff, and I know it will be a popular section on the site.

Also, if there wasn't one, GD would be flooded with these

I'd be more than happy to help with the Graphic Design thread, so long as it isn't called the GFX Thread.   :kappa:

Normally I would say no to this, but there are so many good editors on beyond's staff, and I know it will be a popular section on the site.

That's the thing. It's not supposed to be up to us Beyond guys to keep the Media section alive. I want to know if there will be others that will actively post there, rather than Beyond editors only.

The reason it's good for a Forum is because members can get graphics done for their profile.

And underground editors can help edit montages, etc to get their name out there...

-Alias

A media section is a must. I for one will be producing montages, editing tutorials, short films, and many machinimas. Being forced to post all of my content into a random forum section is not appealing. 

I would recommend implementing these sub-sections into a Media section.

Beyond Theater

Here people would be able to release their videos to be viewed by the community. It can serve as a home to montages, commentaries, machinimas, etc.

Video Production

This section would be devoted to editing, tips, tricks, and tutorials. People would also be able to ask questions to be answered by more experienced editors. 

Image Showcase 

Self explanatory. Graphic design, sigs, etc. 

Works In Progress

A section where everyone can post their work and ask for feedback. 

Thanks. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

A media section is a must. I for one will be producing montages, editing tutorials, short films, and many machinimas. Being forced to post all of my content into a random forum section is not appealing. 

Beyond Theater

Here people would be able to release their videos to be viewed by the community. It can serve as a home to montages, commentaries, machinimas, etc.

Video Production

This section would be devoted to editing, tips, tricks, and tutorials. People would also be able to ask questions to be answered by more experienced editors. 

Image Showcase 

Works In Progress

Thanks. 

Beautiful. One other subsection I would add is help wanted/seeking work.

Beyond Theater

Video Production

Image Showcase 

Works In Progress

Thanks. 

This. 

However, I'd want an other section to post non-halo related content. This can be anything from a short film you and your buddies threw together to other gaming montages to fantasy sports breakdowns.

This. 

However, I'd want an other section to post non-halo related content. This can be anything from a short film you and your buddies threw together to other gaming montages to fantasy sports breakdowns.

Nothing says you can't post non halo related stuff in the subsections.

I like the idea of a Media Thread, but we should just keep it at where people post their "media content" on the General Discussions. Solely cause it'll get more attention then posting it in a Montage Thread within the Media Thread. If we can come up with better threads that can actually help the Media Thread, by all means lets do it! but still, not a bad idea overall, I'm fine with anything.

Its my personal opinion that our community doesn't have enough content creators to keep something like this afloat on a consistent basis.  It has been tried on other sites and Media sections always end up dying out.

If we give the site a little time to grow - get all kinds of content and video creators to sign up, then thats when I would want to launch an Extensive Media Section.

Beyond Theater

Video Production

Image Showcase 

Works In Progress

Thanks. 

This would divide the population of the media section, which is bad, because it would already be small

Good points. I still think we need the section though, just keep it all in one section. Don't have any sub sections.

I agree with this! I need a place to post my speedruns! <3

• Upvote (+1) 1

Media for forge maps like editing map features I feel is really needed. Some badass editing skills to help those forgers be better noticed. I also do some graphic design and do graphics for map pictures for stuff like callouts and weapon labeling.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its my personal opinion that our community doesn't have enough content creators to keep something like this afloat on a consistent basis.  It has been tried on other sites and Media sections always end up dying out.

If we give the site a little time to grow - get all kinds of content and video creators to sign up, then thats when I would want to launch an Extensive Media Section.

If no one comes up with a reasonable retort to this to give reason for a Media Section, then BE wins because Saucey just carries.

It failed on MLG when I was mod, failed on THC when I was staff, and will fail on here. So no.

It's a great concept but it just never works and hurts the content creators more than it helps.

It failed on MLG when I was mod, failed on THC when I was staff, and will fail on here. So no.

It's a great concept but it just never works and hurts the content creators more than it helps.

By saying this you are in a way holding this site back. It does, and can work.

Like you, I have been a mod on several popular gaming forums. The only difference is, the sites I was a mod on had successful media sections. You shouldn't limit this site's potential based on bias or preconceived notions of failure. 

You can't attract talented artists and editors if you don't make them feel welcomed. If you go onto the forum homepage, you can't see anything media related. No talented editor or producer wants to post their work into a General Discussion sub-section, or even a thread meant for a specific field. Producers want to be able to create their own thread for their work within a respective sub-section. It should be obvious that media is extremely important for this community. It is my personal opinion that this community most definitely needs a dedicated media section. 

______

Ultimately, this site is already home to many talented editors and content producers. They, at the very least, deserve a specific place to share their work. The best solution I can think of is a "Media" section with at most 3-4 sub sections like I listed above. This will not divide the community. It will simply serve as a home for quality content, rather than members being forced to post great videos and other work in a random Thread or General Discussion

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

By saying this you are in a way holding this site back. It does, and can work.

Like you, I have been a mod on several popular gaming forums. The only difference is, the sites I was a mod on had successful media sections. You shouldn't limit this site's potential based on bias or preconceived notions of failure.

You can't attract talented artists and editors if you don't make them feel welcomed. If you go onto the forum homepage, you can't see anything media related. No talented editor or producer wants to post their work into a General Discussion sub-section, or even a thread meant for a specific field. Producers want to be able to create their own thread for their work within a respective sub-section. It should be obvious that media is extremely important for this community. It is my personal opinion that this community most definitely needs a dedicated media section.

______

Ultimately, this site is already home to many talented editors and content producers. They, at the very least, deserve a specific place to share their work. The best solution I can think of is a "Media" section with at most 3-4 sub sections like I listed above. This will not divide the community. It will simply serve as a home for quality content, rather than members being forced to post great videos and other work in a random Thread or General Discussion.

Thanks.

The thing you aren't understanding is that there isn't enough content producers in our community to keep the section alive and booming.

Sure the argument can be made "you can't attract them if they don't feel welcome" well #1 I would rather not cater to a very small % of the community,

#2 The General discussion area has the MOST traffic out of any other forum area on this website. On THC they had a media section - people post their videos but no one visited that area - they were all in GD. like Cyren said - Didn't work on MLG when the community was in its prime. Didn't work on the Halo council - why would it work here?

Its been 3 days - Let the site grow - get every good editor and producer you know to sign up and once we have more than a handful of Content creators - we can make the media section and hopefully you guys will post enough so it doesn't flop.

I actually agree with Saucey, First the site has to grow, maybe in a few months a Media section could be added. And till that time you could make a thread in the General Discussion for all the media.

The thing you aren't understanding is that there isn't enough content producers in our community to keep the section alive and booming.

Sure the argument can be made "you can't attract them if they don't feel welcome" well #1 I would rather not cater to a very small % of the community,

#2 The General discussion area has the MOST traffic out of any other forum area on this website. On THC they had a media section - people post their videos but no one visited that area - they were all in GD. like Cyren said - Didn't work on MLG when the community was in its prime. Didn't work on the Halo council - why would it work here?

Its been 3 days - Let the site grow - get every good editor and producer you know to sign up and once we have more than a handful of Content creators - we can make the media section and hopefully you guys will post enough so it doesn't flop.

I do understand. But I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning. For instance, with Beyond's content team, as well as the surge of underground producers and unkowns who are here and bound to come, I believe there would be enough content being created to keep the section alive. I also don't see why people are worried whether or not it will succeed. It's a forum, not a multi-million dollar production. If there's a time to make a change and turn things around, it's now; with this site. And by looking at the votes I'd say that this would be a welcomed addition.

I do however agree that it may be best to wait a bit. I'm glad I could voice and discuss my opinion.

Thanks.

A dead section on any forum makes the site look bad, as I'm sure you understand.

And you mentioned the votes - 23 for yes. And out of those 23 (which isn't a whole lot) how many do you think make videos, that would be actively keeping the area active? 3? 4?

The point were trying to make here saucey is that it IS a good idea. but i agree with you that it isnt the right timing! i would like to see rooster teeth on here maybe to help that get the kick-start it needs!