Sign in to follow this  
Muggsy

Vote for a "Media" section!

Vote for a "Media" Section!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add a "Media" section to our forum?

A dead section on any forum makes the site look bad, as I'm sure you understand.

And you mentioned the votes - 23 for yes. And out of those 23 (which isn't a whole lot) how many do you think make videos, that would be actively keeping the area active? 3? 4?

A little bit more than that Saucey...

aPK

afterfrag

Barker

Ciutchism

CJnEw001

Clazzem

xClicked

Gandhi

Gee

Gold

HZPxSillyGoose

Jazzy

LJOSQUAREDL

Muggsy

Reflex

Royal

Saucey

Snipetality

The site has been up for three days. Instantly people asked for a media section. I very quickly skimmed through the members list and these are the names that I recognized off-the-bat, content wise. The other commentators, players, graphic designers, editors, and various content producers aren't even listed.  Also, the creators themselves aren't the only ones who would support the section. The active members of the entire community would all be watching and commenting on most all of the videos as well. 

This media section would be a great home for say, monthly graphic design contests for the website's banner (screen shot edits from games), editing contests, feedback on videos, video production discussion, tutorials (from anywhere that could help us), and most importantly a place to truly showcase your finished projects. General Discussion is general discussion, not a theater. People spend days and weeks on their projects; while it only takes minutes to make a thread. 

This place was born on content, and that should be respected. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The point were trying to make here saucey is that it IS a good idea. but i agree with you that it isnt the right timing! i would like to see rooster teeth on here maybe to help that get the kick-start it needs!

Of course it's a good idea! I'm all for people sharing their work, but not many people make videos these days :(

I voted yes but Saucey has a fairly sound argument so I understand if there isn't a media section for a while, or ever. There would need to be loads of worthwhile content in the media section for people to actually take the time and populate and participate in the forum, so it is probably best to let the site grow before throwing up tons of stagnant sections when the few people who would actually visit would have a much better time in GD or other areas.

Wouldn't mind seeing a place for graphics request, team logos and avatars, etc. just like the MLG days!

Of course it's a good idea! I'm all for people sharing their work, but not many people make videos these days :(

I could post a clip a day as I release one a day on my youtube. There's enough content out there. The section doesn't have to be overpopulated with threads/posts.

A little bit more than that Saucey...

aPK

afterfrag

Barker

Ciutchism

CJnEw001

Clazzem

xClicked

Gandhi

Gee

Gold

HZPxSillyGoose

Jazzy

LJOSQUAREDL

Muggsy

Reflex

Royal

Saucey

Snipetality

The site has been up for three days. Instantly people asked for a media section. I very quickly skimmed through the members list and these are the names that I recognized off-the-bat, content wise. The other commentators, players, graphic designers, editors, and various content producers aren't even listed.  Also, the creators themselves aren't the only ones who would support the section. The active members of the entire community would all be watching and commenting on most all of the videos as well. 

This media section would be a great home for say, monthly graphic design contests for the website's banner (screen shot edits from games), editing contests, feedback on videos, video production discussion, tutorials (from anywhere that could help us), and most importantly a place to truly showcase your finished projects. General Discussion is general discussion, not a theater. People spend days and weeks on their projects; while it only takes minutes to make a thread. 

This place was born on content, and that should be respected. 

I appreciate your passion - I really do.  And I have the same passion for Videos and content, but I am going to use your channel as an example of what I am talking about.  This also applies to some of the people you listed as well.

73eaca8a7b75ca2f2d61004cf4026cd8.png

Recent uploads - 1 month, 2 months ago, etc.   Usually the people who do make content are VERY inconsistent, this is mainly because montages take time, big projects take time, people get busy, whatever.  And I am not trying to call you out on a personal level - this is a VERY common trait within the Halo community.  People start off great, and then do less and less.  That is my worry with the Media thread - Do I think it will do fine for the first week? Sure.  But what about a month down the line, 2 months, 6 months? Will we have enough CONSISTENT content creators to keep something like this alive? 

It hasn't worked on other sites for this very reason + more people will see your work if its in General Discussion.  The only site I have ever seen a Media section work on was The Halo Forum back in the day - and that was because there were so many people making content, that something was always going on / being posted.  This isnt the case today - and it cant be 100% on Beyonds shoulders to keep the section Alive - the Forum is for the community, if there arent enough CONSISTENT content producers in the community then that area wont succeed.

Best plan of action is to wait - and like I said before, get people to sign up who actually produce content so there is a higher demand for a section like this.

I appreciate your passion - I really do.  And I have the same passion for Videos and content, but I am going to use your channel as an example of what I am talking about.  This also applies to some of the people you listed as well.

Recent uploads - 1 month, 2 months ago, etc.   Usually the people who do make content are VERY inconsistent, this is mainly because montages take time, big projects take time, people get busy, whatever.  And I am not trying to call you out on a personal level - this is a VERY common trait within the Halo community.  People start off great, and then do less and less.  That is my worry with the Media thread - Do I think it will do fine for the first week? Sure.  But what about a month down the line, 2 months, 6 months? Will we have enough CONSISTENT content creators to keep something like this alive? 

It hasn't worked on other sites for this very reason + more people will see your work if its in General Discussion.  The only site I have ever seen a Media section work on was The Halo Forum back in the day - and that was because there were so many people making content, that something was always going on / being posted.  This isnt the case today - and it cant be 100% on Beyonds shoulders to keep the section Alive - the Forum is for the community, if there arent enough CONSISTENT content producers in the community then that area wont succeed.

Best plan of action is to wait - and like I said before, get people to sign up who actually produce content so there is a higher demand for a section like this.

You make a good point. I see where you're coming from and your concern is legitimate. 

Even though I'm in summer classes at my university and I have a job, I'm working on a top-tier machinima live-action miniseries, a variety of original machinimas re-launching one of the most memorable groups Halo has ever known, 3 montages, and even editing tutorials. (All while I'm setting up to transfer to a school across the country this coming fall)

So yeah, I guess you could say I'm busy, and stuff like that just takes time, you're right. 

It boils down to quantity or quality... And I'm a fan of quality. I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out. 

My question is why the section needs to be so active? It doesn't need to be too active to serve it's purpose..

Saucey makes a good point, i don't even have any recent work in relates to Halo content.  Iv been so busy with my job and other family matters that happened around April that I haven't had that much time to sit down and edit a halo video.  My next halo project might be released in about 2 months :[

My question is why the section needs to be so active? It doesn't need to be too active to serve it's purpose..

When I would post a video in MLG's or THC's video section it wouldnt get any views.  I post it in GD and it gets a lot more. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

When I would post a video in MLG's or THC's video section it wouldnt get any views.  I post it in GD and it gets a lot more. 

That's what people are missing.

Posted in GD = More Views/Gets buried quicker.

Posted in Media = No views/Stays at the top

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's what people are missing.

Posted in GD = More Views/Gets buried quicker.

Posted in Media = No views/Stays at the top

GD reminds me of Reddit - if its a good video it will spark an engaging discussion - if it isnt a quality video its quickly buried 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i would make the effort to do gameplays - reviews if there was a thread

but i dont have the equipment to record or set it up? any help?

I voted yes, but i think there has to be not a media section right away, maybe in a few months. 

Till that time, I think you (content creators) could make a topic in the General Discussion with your video.

Or you (Staff) could make a pinned topic in General Discussion, for Media. So it won't get burried, and you can still find a lot of content in one place.