Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuyDrag

Halo 5: Day 1 Competitive Playlist?

Slayer Pro wasn't a ranked competitive playlist though, that's what I'm hoping for. I would love something similar to Black Ops 2's League Play

Dude when you say "competitive playlist" it could mean anything and 343 knows that. 343 is very good at twisting words. I promise you, just like the pre-Reach days and pre-Halo 4 days, theyll be PLENTY of talk about a "competitive playlist" and just how "competitive the game really is". Remember Luke from Bungie telling us all about how great the Arena was in one of the vidocs (maybe I'll find the vid, too).

Are we set for a decent, balanced and competitive playlist like in H3? I doubt it. Will there be some "pro" version of Halo 5's AA-, perk-, sprint-, class- ridden game? Sure, and Ghost and co will have contributed to it (yay...).

Sry for being jaded but what can I say after 7 years of mediocrity.

I was actually thinking about this on my way home today. I was also thinking that I hope this is a good sign that 343 is looking to do more things like Global Championship in the next game. They have now hired on two of the main people that helped with the GC (Bravo and Ghost). They both seemed like they did alot to organize it. As long as the game is pretty competitively viable, this could be an incredible thing.

I don't want a competitive playlsits. I want a competitive game. All a "competitive playlists" means is that it won't be the main/default playlists, and it's inevitable before the default options take over. If the "Team Slayer" and other main playlists are Infinity 2.0 and there's one competitive playlists. No matter how good the competitive options are, it will eventually die down due to it not being the default ones. It will be Halo 4 all over again. The competitive options need to be the only way of playing in the main playlists.

They have realized they need a ranked/social split. One of the main devs said it on twitter after the whole wheelchair fiasco

They have realized they need a ranked/social split. One of the main devs said it on twitter after the whole wheelchair fiasco

The guy who did the wheelchair presentation, Josh Holmes, said it would suit MM better. Doesn't mean they're going to do it though, who knows what Josh Menke has in store. On the topic of MM, are they still going to call that shit war games in halo 5? I never understood the point of the change. 

The guy who did the wheelchair presentation, Josh Holmes, said it would suit MM better. Doesn't mean they're going to do it though, who knows what Josh Menke has in store. On the topic of MM, are they still going to call that shit war games in halo 5? I never understood the point of the change. 

They tried to incorporate MM into the lore of the story. The whole Basis was that you were a Spartan aboard the UNSC Infinity and War Games were a virtual battlefield on the ship for Spartans to compete in. Same thing with Spartan Ops, Spartan on the ship who participates in Special Ops missions.

Sigh....You've only heard me say MLG Reach v7 >>>>> Halo 3. The MLG playlist is the only part of Reach that exists to me and it's better than Halo 3. With that said, I enjoyed playing other playlists in H3 more than Reach because the only things that were different from MLG were stuff like radar, gametypes and maps...not mechanics and Armor Abilities. 

Enjoying more playlists in H3 =/= Me saying Halo 3 is better than Reach (MLG v7).

so in you'r opinion, reach > h3 because you pretend that the bad elements of reach didn't exist? LOL

• Downvote (-1) 2

Agreed with what others have said. A competitive playlist is only a different typeset. We need a game with a high skill gap and curling, with everything being changeable and modifiable at the gamers will. We need a game designed to test the players, not hand them victory. I have faith that mason and Eric will keep this in mind. But only time will tell, right?

I think standard playlists are a must for a T1 or V1 settings.

Start small with Slayers, CTFs, KoTHs, Oddballs, etc... The regular.

Then have the new playlists that we can test for T2 or V2.

On the same note, have all maps possible for the Test settings, and get forged ones later, unless Salot gets hired xD

*Small, symmetrical maps are important to me, and most likely others.

A full-game feature that should be added, which probably doesn't seem like much, is the red X... An improved one from H4.

Other features are important as well, the basics: No sprint, needs flag juggle, no oddball throwing, etc

I don't want a competitive playlsits. I want a competitive game. All a "competitive playlists" means is that it won't be the main/default playlists, and it's inevitable before the default options take over. If the "Team Slayer" and other main playlists are Infinity 2.0 and there's one competitive playlists. No matter how good the competitive options are, it will eventually die down due to it not being the default ones. It will be Halo 4 all over again. The competitive options need to be the only way of playing in the main playlists.

This a good point. Needs to be more like h2

so in you'r opinion, reach > h3 because you pretend that the bad elements of reach didn't exist? LOL

This is a competitive forum, filled with competitive players (which I am one of), I'm not going to include social aspects of a game to determine which is best. Competitive Reach >>> Competitive Halo 3. The competitive playlists are labeled MLG in both games, Reach imo has the better MLG playlist, thus it's the better game. I'm not going to include social playlists in the package...because i'm a competitive player, I don't care for swat, team slayer and btb to the same extent that I do more hardcore competitive playlist. Those social playlist are cool to fuck around in, they serve a purpose for players like me and others on this site... but I couldn't care any less for them when comparing games. I should have been more clear in my previous post...MLG Reach >>> MLG Halo 3. Both games have their pro's and cons outside of those two playlists and I did play more social playlists in H3 than I did in Reach...still, it means nothing when I compare both games, which includes "pretending like the bad elements of both games don't exist".

This isn't rocket science and i'm not using some special formula to give Reach the nod...i'm simply looking at both games....the playlist that I play the most and go from there. I think you're giving this too much thought and too much attention, it's my opinion...enjoy whichever game you like most...it doesn't matter to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a competitive forum, filled with competitive players (which I am one of), I'm not going to include social aspects of a game to determine which is best. Competitive Reach >>> Competitive Halo 3. The competitive playlists are labeled MLG in both games, Reach imo has the better MLG playlist, thus it's the better game. I'm not going to include social playlists in the package...because i'm a competitive player, I don't care for swat, team slayer and btb to the same extent that I do more hardcore competitive playlist. Those social playlist are cool to fuck around in, they serve a purpose for players like me and others on this site... but I couldn't care any less for them when comparing games. I should have been more clear in my previous post...MLG Reach >>> MLG Halo 3. Both games have their pro's and cons outside of those two playlists and I did play more social playlists in H3 than I did in Reach...still, it means nothing when I compare both games, which includes "pretending like the bad elements of both games don't exist".

This isn't rocket science and i'm not using some special formula to give Reach the nod...i'm simply looking at both games....the playlist that I play the most and go from there. I think you're giving this too much thought and too much attention, it's my opinion...enjoy whichever game you like most...it doesn't matter to me.

Lmao only person you'r fooling is yourself.  

The playlists you named are all competitive and are a part of the same game so you'r whole competitive/social arguments is void. Everybody plays to win, even these so called "social players" you've created in you'r head. You can work away, twisting you'r own words but the only person you'r fooling is yourself. Mlg version 7 in reach was a good competitive game-mode but as a whole reach sucked major balls where as H3 was a good game as a whole. You've already said this and obviously agree with me that h3>reach but you just keep contradicting yourself so that you can make generic statements that will gain you respect from other "halo scientists"

The playlists you named are all competitive and are a part of the same game so you'r whole competitive/social arguments is void. Everybody plays to win, even these so called "social players" you've created in you'r head. You can work away, twisting you'r own words but the only person you'r fooling is yourself. Mlg version 7 in reach was a good competitive game-mode but as a whole reach sucked major balls where as H3 was a good game as a whole. You've already said this and obviously agree with me that h3>reach but you just keep contradicting yourself so that you can make generic statements that will gain you respect from other "halo scientists"

Do you have a vendetta against him for some reason?  The argument you're posing is getting pretty ridiculous.

There's a golf club I go to that has three 18 hole courses that are all very solid.  There's another club I go to that has two 18 hole courses - one which is very unenjoyable, and another which is much better than any of the courses at the first club.  If you ask me which club is better, I'll say the second one, because while the first one is better all around, the second one has the one 18 hole course that I'd rather play every day of the week.  I'm not interested in playing at a well rounded club, I'm interested in playing the best course.  The second club offers the best overall experience for me even though the first club is more well rounded.  Someone who values variety over peak experience may have a different opinion, but it doesn't negate the validity of my preference/opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What do you guys think it will take for Halo to be picked up again by the MLG circuit? I understand Microsoft has a deal with Virgin Gaming for various official contests but in the end the real meat of the pro competitive gaming industry still lies in MLG.

What do you guys think it will take for Halo to be picked up again by the MLG circuit? 

Sundance to go full re tard and ignore all other games that have viewers

but in the end the real meat of the pro competitive gaming industry still lies in MLG.

I dont think thats the case anymore. They are down to like 2 events a year, and even then its only dota that gets the big numbers now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unless it's a tied in with the core experience (or at least presented as equal) I'd rather not see it at launch.

I think Ghostayame will be put more than just the competitive playlist, maybe the Ranked Playlist if there's any? Who knows, but 343i is not hiring people for cleaning offices. They're not dumb.

They aren't dumb as in they know how to make a pretty game. They aren't all there when it comes to balance and competitiveness.

What do you guys think it will take for Halo to be picked up again by the MLG circuit? I understand Microsoft has a deal with Virgin Gaming for various official contests but in the end the real meat of the pro competitive gaming industry still lies in MLG.

I'd rather 343 run their own tournaments, dat M$ money 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd rather 343 run their own tournaments, dat M$ money 

I agree with you here, Microsoft has to be invested in that portion of gaming though. Competitive gaming is $$$ to setup even though it's probably the best form of PR for the game.

I agree with you here, Microsoft has to be invested in that portion of gaming though. Competitive gaming is $$$ to setup even though it's probably the best form of PR for the game.

Well i was honestly blown away by the global champs, there was like 20k people playing halo 4 at the time and they were willing the drop all that money on the tourney. The production value was out of this world. Plus considering MS recently said Halo is their most important entertainment IP and are making that TV show and movie, wouldn't be surprised if they dropped more money on these tourneys. 

Well i was honestly blown away by the global champs, there was like 20k people playing halo 4 at the time and they were willing the drop all that money on the tourney. The production value was out of this world. Plus considering MS recently said Halo is their most important entertainment IP and are making that TV show and movie, wouldn't be surprised if they dropped more money on these tourneys. 

I'm not going to front, I may have taken off some days to try to get some extra run in for that Global Championship LOL. I just wish they make it an annual event to keep the interest and investment of players.

Do you have a vendetta against him for some reason?  The argument you're posing is getting pretty ridiculous.

There's a golf club I go to that has three 18 hole courses that are all very solid.  There's another club I go to that has two 18 hole courses - one which is very unenjoyable, and another which is much better than any of the courses at the first club.  If you ask me which club is better, I'll say the second one, because while the first one is better all around, the second one has the one 18 hole course that I'd rather play every day of the week.  I'm not interested in playing at a well rounded club, I'm interested in playing the best course.  The second club offers the best overall experience for me even though the first club is more well rounded.  Someone who values variety over peak experience may have a different opinion, but it doesn't negate the validity of my preference/opinion.

First of all, no i don't have a vendetta against him. He uses his "science" to explain which game is better rather than go of his own personal opinion which is obvious when reading his posts. I was just proving this point

Secondly you'r analogy does a good job at explaining why nbns > default reach but it cannot be used as an argument or a way to validate an opinion when comparing two different games. Golf is still golf no matter what course you're on where as H3 and Reach are separate entities. Reach mlg v7 was not a game. It was a very jaded and specific ruleset used for one tournament because it was the only way they were going to squeeze any remaining competition from it. The fact that they had to do this only proves h3 was the better competitive title

• Upvote (+1) 1

He uses his "science" to explain which game is better rather than go of his own personal opinion which is obvious when reading his posts. 

I hope "science" becomes the new "adapt"

• Upvote (+1) 1