Sign in to follow this  
Automaton

Spartan Assault Opinion

Still getting used to the new site.. Hopefully I can post my content in this section :)

I've always been very supportive of the Halo franchise, but today, I'm going to be as real as possible and tell you how I truly feel about the brand new Halo: Spartan Assault game due this July.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo 2 Vista flopped because Vista sucked. Windows Phone isn't very popular and neither is Windows 8. Seems like they aren't learning.

so stupid how its not even on the apple store and i also see it as a waste of effort and money haha 

Huge top down shooter fan as well and thanks for the video!

Top down shooters don't get a lot of love...a lot of players don't play any top down shooters because there aren't really any fun ones.

That's not true. Top down shooters do get a lot of love. The best selling indie game on the 360 is a top down shooter, along with Assault Heroes, Gatling Gears, and the ones you mention in your video. They are extremely fun and are praised as great games. The thing is though, you can't make a full game out of them. Top down/twin stick shooters are made to be "mini" games so they are not going to get the praise you may want because of that. They do sell though.

This game is going to be a total failure.

Your main points on why this game will be a failure is the lack of multiplayer and replayability  I agree that it's odd that there isn't any coop and a firefight/survival mode, especially if the developers of Gatling Gears (a game made for coop) are involved, but I don't think that justifies the game as a failure. Replayability will exists because there will be leaderboards for scores and such and even though coop will be much better, replayability will still exists in the game.

This game won't be the best selling app by any close amount but is in no way going to be a total failure. A top down/twin stick shooter doesn't solely rely on multiplayer to be good. Vanguard Games made an impressive one already and it was their first. I have a lot of faith that Spartan Assault will be great for top down shooter fans to enjoy. No, it won't have coop, but the lack of multiplayer doesn't make a top down shooter game a failure.

so stupid how its not even on the apple store and i also see it as a waste of effort and money haha 

Saying that this game is a waste of time just isn't the case. It will sell and by the looks of the gameplay, it looks like a great twin stick shooter. I wish it had coop of course but that doesn't ruin the entire game. I just can't see this being a total failure. It's made by a great top down developer and it honestly looks pretty solid for a single player experience.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree with it mostly, I would buy this without thinking on XBLA or iOS.

I hope if they do release smaller games though maybe we can get a competetive/old school Halo game with strict gameplay in the future for cheap.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Huge top down shooter fan as well and thanks for the video!

That's not true. Top down shooters do get a lot of love. The best selling indie game on the 360 is a top down shooter, along with Assault Heroes, Gatling Gears, and the ones you mention in your video. They are extremely fun and are praised as great games. The thing is though, you can't make a full game out of them. Top down/twin stick shooters are made to be "mini" games so they are not going to get the praise you may want because of that. They do sell though.

Your main points on why this game will be a failure is the lack of multiplayer and replayability  I agree that it's odd that there isn't any coop and a firefight/survival mode, especially if the developers of Gatling Gears (a game made for coop) are involved, but I don't think that justifies the game as a failure. Replayability will exists because there will be leaderboards for scores and such and even though coop will be much better, replayability will still exists in the game.

This game won't be the best selling app by any close amount but is in no way going to be a total failure. A top down/twin stick shooter doesn't solely rely on multiplayer to be good. Vanguard Games made an impressive one already and it was their first. I have a lot of faith that Spartan Assault will be great for top down shooter fans to enjoy. No, it won't have coop, but the lack of multiplayer doesn't make a top down shooter game a failure.

Great post.

And I also agree with Cyren. If they added a little more time and effort, this could've had those extra features I mentioned and maybe could've been on the Xbox One marketplace.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I made a comment on the actual video, but I'll expand on it here. 

This is a GREAT IDEA in concept. A top down shooter feels like something the halo universe is made for at this point with the variety of weapons, vehicles, enemies, and landscapes. The footage looks great and I would definitely play something like this. Obviously leaving out a survival mode and multiplayer seems like a big oversight, but I could have lived with playing through a single player campaign mode for $7. 

The spot where they go wrong is once again missing out on what is going to benefit their fanbase the most. Instead they are trying to sell Windows 8, tablets, and phones with Halo. This isn't about making a great halo spin-off game. It's about moving Microsoft product with the Halo name. That is what bugs me. 

I own a windows phone so I'll get to play it but they really are screwing their fan base over with the Microsoft exclusive here. 

I hangout with Maven's phone (in his pocket) all the time.
I'll ask if he is planning on downloading the game and get back with you guys on it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Replayability will exists because there will be leaderboards for scores and such and even though coop will be much better, replayability will still exists in the game.

There is absolutely zero replayability in a top-down shooter that is as linear as I am 99% sure this is going to be. Top-down shooters are not notorious for side-quests and hidden features.

There is absolutely zero replayability in a top-down shooter that is as linear as I am 99% sure this is going to be. Top-down shooters are not notorious for side-quests and hidden features.

Off launch there will be no replay value, only 25 bitesize missions and that's it. I did hear though, that if the game gains enough support (sales wise), they will add a MP to it which will help the replay value (assuming it's implemented well).

I've heard different rumors about the multiplayer situation. Could anyone clarify this issue?

Off launch there will be no replay value, only 25 bitesize missions and that's it. I did hear though, that if the game gains enough support (sales wise), they will add a MP to it which will help the replay value (assuming it's implemented well).

lmfao

Only 343 would think of adding multiplayer as a fucking update.

lmfao

Only 343 would think of adding multiplayer as a fucking update.

Its an Phone App... who cares?  Not like you are going to download it anyways   - Its like an Angry Birds version of Halo, they probably werent looking to deck it out with sick multiplayer features

That would be the point of the matter, wouldn't it?

Maybe - some people like these types of games, its not a bad idea to be honest.  

I agree, it's not a bad idea. I just hope it's not the "big Halo announcement" we're all expecting at E3 because if it is then... I'm done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree, it's not a bad idea. I just hope it's not the "big Halo announcement" we're all expecting at E3 because if it is then... I'm done.

I would be very surprised if it was the big halo announcement lol.

Maybe we can have a Halo Facebook game next.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the fact of the matter is it would succeed as long as

• It was released on all versions of PC (Windows 7)
  • Released on iOS
  • Another Halo game (ODST/Wars style) released in 2013 for 360 and Xbox One

Watch it be more info on the television series

Maybe we can have a Halo Facebook game next.

Take a seat Farmville!

I reckon we'll see something to do with "Bootcamp" at E3 as well as the TV series. I'm not going to buy Spassault right away but rather wait to see if 343i add multiplayer. If they do, it could be an interesting expansion to Halo. Really, it's not a bad idea. This time, however, Microsoft's marketing method might maim them.

Sh*t. I just figured out that Spassault IS Bootcamp. There goes E3.

Source: http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/06/5/The-Halo-Bulletin-6513.aspx