Kingly

Community Ideas for Halo Xbox One!

With all the beastly hardware/software we have with the Xbox One like Kinect, much more computing power, dedicated servers, cloud computing, the possibilities are endless. A community thread where we can create awesome new features for Halo Xbox One could be great inspiration for 343!

Callout Medals (Kinect Integration) 

Whenever a player calls out a enemy location and his/her teammate kills that enemy in that location, the player could get a medal. There could be sprees and frenzy medals for the callouts as well. Could be named "Spotter" "Spotter Spree" and "Bloodhound" for 10 callouts without dying. 

This would be awesome because communication would be rewarded for once in Halo multiplayer and almost everyone would then use mics in matchmaking. You can literally compare two player's communication skill by the amount of callout medals they have per game. IMAGINE a Halo game where everyone calls out!

Superfast Forging (Kinect Integration)

Instead of going through lists and lists of items trying to find the specific item to lay down, a player can simply say the name of the item using Kinect and it will appear. Say "Block, Flat" or "Column, Blue, Small" and the items will appear.  You could raise or lower your hand or move to the left or right to move objects with much more precision.

The possibilities are fascinating. Instead of going through tons and tons of toggles for colors and coordinates, just saying commands to the Kinect will do everything for you.

This would make forge INSANELY accessible to Halo fans. The learning curve for Forge could be a lot easier and the forge community could grow to never before seen heights.

Please contribute to this thread! Bring in your awesome ideas!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Callout Medals are easy to exploit and maybe at some point annoying. IMO.

Skill in game should be rewarded. Its the same reason why there are medals for sniping or for surviving for long periods of time. What you are saying is that players will callout enemy positions just before they are killed by a teammate to get the medal. But why is that a bad thing? Some communication is better than no communication. And you can easily make it unexploitable by simply increasing the time between the callout and the kill.

Skill in game should be rewarded. Its the same reason why there are medals for sniping or for surviving for long periods of time. What you are saying is that players will callout enemy positions just before they are killed by a teammate to get the medal. But why is that a bad thing? Some communication is better than no communication. And you can easily make it unexploitable by simply increasing the time between the callout and the kill.

One shot blue stairs... (Enemy actually in Mohawk) It's a good idea, I'll give you that. But to get the medal, there's gotta be a bit more of process if you know what I mean.

I like the idea but i feel that we already have way to many medals for doing so little (in Halo 4 that is)

Team work should be key and giving medals for calling out in games might make more people use mics.

• Upvote (+1) 2

One shot blue stairs... (Enemy actually in Mohawk) It's a good idea, I'll give you that. But to get the medal, there's gotta be a bit more of process if you know what I mean.

I like the idea but i feel that we already have way to many medals for doing so little (in Halo 4 that is)

Team work should be key and giving medals for calling out in games might make more people use mics.

What you want is it to require more skill. You don't have to alter the requirements to get the medal. If its a high skill play and you get the medal, that medal will be more valuable. For example, a overkill with a sniper can be much more satisfying than a overkill with a rocket launcher. 

I agree that Halo has become overly saturated with many features and medals, but if its an addition that can improve the sandbox, i'd definitely approve of it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

How would you give a call out medal? How would they know if it's the correct call out? I dun like it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe not a "medal" but maybe if it was tallied up on the carnage report as a stat that would be interesting. Perhaps just correct call outs (even if it doesn't lead to a kill) could be recorded if you say the location and an enemy is actually there. I think that's plausible with the new system and Kinect. At least for matchmaking, if there is a stat for it, it will encourage people to call out. 

Edit: as i think about it, it would probably just lead to people yelling out random things at all times (too much calling out becomes counter productive at times) or the system would have difficulty identifying people who call out properly. Proper call outs should be a location, amount of shield left, and sometimes the direction the guy is heading (which would especially mess up the system). I like the out of the box thinking with this idea though. 

Also, forging with your hands using Kinect (especially rotating pieces) would be pretty sick. I would be all for 343i experimenting with that as long as they also leave in the traditional controls as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd imagine the detection algorithms couldn't be /too/ hard. At least for simple call outs. 

"One shot on my X!"

Enemy no shields within radius of death? Yes? Give medal. No? No medal. 

I dislike the idea of more medals. In H3 a medal meant something. In reach and h4 they serve very little purpose. Getting a medal like Overkill or Killing Frenzy is still great but medals like comeback kill or for killing an enemy while reloading are just stupid.

I don't think kinnect voice commands in matchmaking are a good idea. 

Voice commands in forge/campaign however are a great idea. Either to speed up forging with calling for particular pieces or moving them. And campaign voice commands to tell your marines where to go or what position to take could be pretty good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How would you give a call out medal? How would they know if it's the correct call out? I dun like it.

Kinect Integration in Xbox One games has been pretty impressive already in games such as Ryse.

I don't imagine it to be that difficult. I'm pretty sure 343 can figure it out with the hundreds of developers they have. The Halo engine already records positions of players, we know this because they appear on mini maps in game as red dots or yellow dots. Voice-to text recognition is very good on the Kinect. It shouldn't be too hard to link player positioning on the map to voice commands. 

I dislike the idea of more medals. In H3 a medal meant something. In reach and h4 they serve very little purpose. Getting a medal like Overkill or Killing Frenzy is still great but medals like comeback kill or for killing an enemy while reloading are just stupid.

I don't think kinnect voice commands in matchmaking are a good idea. 

Voice commands in forge/campaign however are a great idea. Either to speed up forging with calling for particular pieces or moving them. And campaign voice commands to tell your marines where to go or what position to take could be pretty good.

Its not just another medal though. It could actually improve gameplay and reward communication. Comeback kill on the other hand is a stupid medal, because chances are you aren't going to die the rest of the game without a single kill. Comeback kill requires no skill. Those type of medals should be removed.

I like your idea of directing marines what to do though. Perhaps commands like "Follow me" or "Go Shotgun/Turret". I hate when AI don't do anything.

Having the game recognize, and reward, callouts through voice recognition is a novel concept. It wouldn't be all that difficult to implement either. The only problem I see is that people usually come up with their own callouts over time. This system would require everyone to use standardized callouts if they want credit for them. Forge maps would also require the ability to mark areas with Hill Zone-like objects that have a corresponding callout. The names of the callouts on Forge maps would have to be normal words too so the voice recognition could work, not "Zxyzzg Ramp" or anything.

Campaign, or any mode with friendly AI, could utilize voice commands to control your AI allies. "Stay Here", "Take Cover", "Chaaaaarrrrrge!". Walk up to a Marine, "I need a weapon". Marine just hands you his rifle no questions asked.

One idea idea I saw, using Kinnect in Halo, was for machinema. Your body movements are mapped to a Spartan player model so directors could have a finer control over how their "actors" move around. This idea seems feasible as well because the Kinnect already tracks the motion of body parts. Combine the tracking, and digital translation, of body parts with the ability to issue voice commands, like "Holster Weapon" or "Duck and Roll" to perform scripted animations, and you could get some high quality machinema going on.

I rarely read brand new ideas but this is most certainly one of them. Clever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Having the game recognize, and reward, callouts through voice recognition is a novel concept. It wouldn't be all that difficult to implement either. The only problem I see is that people usually come up with their own callouts over time. This system would require everyone to use standardized callouts if they want credit for them. Forge maps would also require the ability to mark areas with Hill Zone-like objects that have a corresponding callout. The names of the callouts on Forge maps would have to be normal words too so the voice recognition could work, not "Zxyzzg Ramp" or anything.

Campaign, or any mode with friendly AI, could utilize voice commands to control your AI allies. "Stay Here", "Take Cover", "Chaaaaarrrrrge!". Walk up to a Marine, "I need a weapon". Marine just hands you his rifle no questions asked.

One idea idea I saw, using Kinnect in Halo, was for machinema. Your body movements are mapped to a Spartan player model so directors could have a finer control over how their "actors" move around. This idea seems feasible as well because the Kinnect already tracks the motion of body parts. Combine the tracking, and digital translation, of body parts with the ability to issue voice commands, like "Holster Weapon" or "Duck and Roll" to perform scripted animations, and you could get some high quality machinema going on.

I rarely read brand new ideas but this is most certainly one of them. Clever.

Thanks lol. Wait are you seriously a Halo 5 Multiplayer Designer? 

I don't think it would have to be standardized callouts. It could be multiple names for a specific location using tags. Anyone of the multiple names could be recognized and used. Its the same way Siri or Google Now answers questions. You would just have to make sure that no two locations have the same names. I wouldn't know for sure though.

That machinima idea is sick though. Could breathe life back into Halo machinima. Except where would you allow this motion tracking feature? It can't be in matcmaking, custom games, theater. 

Should I add these new ideas to the original post so that everyone can see?

Thanks lol. Wait are you seriously a Halo 5 Multiplayer Designer?

Huh? I'm confused.

I don't think it would have to be standardized callouts. It could be multiple names for a specific location using tags. Anyone of the multiple names could be recognized and used. Its the same way Siri or Google Now answers questions. You would just have to make sure that no two locations have the same names. I wouldn't know for sure though.

Allowing multiple callouts for one location is a good idea. This way players can add their own callouts to areas for when they play customs. 343 could even incorporate the user made callouts into the matchmaking version of the map if they get popular enough.

That machinima idea is sick though. Could breathe life back into Halo machinima. Except where would you allow this motion tracking feature? It can't be in matcmaking, custom games, theater.

I was thinking more along the lines of a dedicated machinema mode. Body tracking wouldn't be feasible in any existing game mode.

Should I add these new ideas to the original post so that everyone can see?

Sure.

It says your title is Halo 5 Multiplayer Designer. Is that true?

Oh. Lol. No the mods must set those. I frequently post ideas about Halo 5 so that's prob why. I am on mobile so I never noticed.

Thanks for title though mods.

It says your title is Halo 5 Multiplayer Designer. Do you work for 343? Obviously not right?

No.  Somebody thinks it's funny to keep changing his title from one ridiculous thing to another because they don't like all of his ideas.

No.  Somebody thinks it's funny to keep changing his title from one ridiculous thing to another because they don't like all of his ideas.

HAhahaha thats hilarious.

I like thinking of the possibilities a more advanced Forge could create, I would love that myself.

ya I think forge is a great feature of Halo one of it's finest innovations IMO. Its got a lot of potential especially with xbone hardware step up. I think it would be cool if we could forge our own firefight maps. That would provide infinitely more longevety to ft and customs in general( or atleast for me). Like the ability to place enemy spawns, number of enemies types of enemies what time they spawn and obviously what makes the map, the set pieces. I think it is very possibly to add a change whether option to forge ex: rain, snow etc. Adds flavor to the map. Also just for the forge community, openable and closable doors just like in the campaign would be very helpful so forgers don't have to make it themselves which is very difficult and adding it would make it feel more authentic and professional. Just some sample improvements.also for forging ff maps, maybe have objectives like generator defense/ destruction, invasion type, capture the base and all that cool stuff. Things to add longevity like giving us the proper tools the first time so the community can prosper and create new content often is required for longevity and consumer satisfaction. Those are just some ideas, what do you guys think? Would you like that feature of forgable ff maps?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Being able to easily change environment conditions and textures for all Forge objects and having the ability to build our own terrain much more efficiently similar to the more advanced map editors without it being to complicated would be nice. I would enjoy it if our map designs looked and had the same atmosphere as a developers own maps, that's something Forge has not been capable of no matter how much aesthetic we put into our designs sadly and that would be a big dream come true if it would allow more creativity in Halo 5.

Far Cry 3 has a pretty nice map editor on consoles that allows you to change the color of anything including the water and the skybox, and also has weather effects such as rain and fog. It is clearly possible to go further with the new technology, Project Spark seems set to evolve upon map and game editors that are built for use by the community, the detail it allows is pretty wild.

They basically already did a bunch of similar commands in Battlefield 4's campaign on the XbOne so I'm almost 100% sure they will have something similar to what you describe for Halo 5's campaign. 

Forge is really an area where I think a lot of improvement can be made. One step that I think is critical, is the ability to make atmospheric changes. Changing the time of day, adding weather, etc. Another great feature that I think is missing from forge is texture switching. I'd be fine with texture sets, but ideally, the system should allow you to change an individual objects texture, from a generous list. 

In terms of Kinect integration, there are a few possibilities. Like someone said earlier, moving objects in forge with hand gestures would be awesome. For standard matchmaking, how about a distress signal? I liked the idea the OP had about calling out and being rewarded, but what if there was a voice command that displayed an exclamation point over your head in game? I think that would be a nice non-invasive use of the Kinect in MM.