Gobias

2v2 > 4v4 for Halo Xbox One Tournaments

1) It doesn't have a veteran playerbase to upset, unlike Halo.

2) It's the only new multiplayer shooter of note on Xbox One and 360 until the Destiny beta releases, which happens later on Xbox. Halo 4's release, on the other hand, was dwarfed by that if Black Ops 2.

3) Gut feeling.

1) Halo 3 upset the veteran playerbase...People thought it wasn't as good as Halo 2, so this point is invalid.

2) What? There is no confirmed release date for Halo 5. Destiny could potentially release before Halo 5... CoD Bo3 might try and release at the same time as Halo 5 to smash it.

3) lol

"Many months" is now thriving and successful.

I hate where video games are going these days.

The market is just oversaturated and every game seems to be a reskin of the current popular franchise. It is sad, I agree. But money is too often the only thing going through their minds. Whatever happened to making games you wanted to play?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1) Halo 3 upset the veteran playerbase...People thought it wasn't as good as Halo 2, so this point is invalid.

2) What? There is no confirmed release date for Halo 5. Destiny could potentially release before Halo 5... CoD Bo3 might try and release at the same time as Halo 5 to smash it.

3) lol

Destiny will release before Halo 5. I have no idea where you are going with that, though. I'm saying that Titanfall goes practically uncontested on Xbox until the Destiny beta.

Yeah, it'd be nice. But I just don't think they will, after looking at H4's custom options.. it's very wishful thinking to hope for a great set of custom options this time around.

I don't think Halo 4's feature set should be looked at as an accurate measure of what 343 can improve and add.  We've know for a while that development didn't go as smoothly as it could have especially due to a lot of the team being built DURING development.

They have more manpower working on every aspect of H5 compared to H4, and those people are more used to working with each other and prepared for development problems now that they've experienced them once before.  They have a more stable place to build the game from as they don't have to rewrite all of Bungie's legacy code again (Which I hear was a bitch to deal with), and I would expect that to make many parts of the process smoother.

Game development is unpredictable, and anything can happen, but I think they have more going for them than the H4 team did.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think Halo 4's feature set should be looked at as an accurate measure of what 343 can improve and add.  We've know for a while that development didn't go as smoothly as it could have especially due to a lot of the team being built DURING development.

They have more manpower working on every aspect of H5 compared to H4, and those people are more used to working with each other and prepared for development problems now that they've experienced them once before.  They have a more stable place to build the game from as they don't have to rewrite all of Bungie's legacy code again (Which I hear was a bitch to deal with), and I would expect that to make many parts of the process smoother.

Game development is unpredictable, and anything can happen, but I think they have more going for them than the H4 team did.

For sure, I'm definitely expecting improvement from H4, however I feel they'll focus more on improving the game from fan feedback and trying to ensure that the game is fun and balanced instead of adding in all these extra custom features. 

For sure, I'm definitely expecting improvement from H4, however I feel they'll focus more on improving the game from fan feedback and trying to ensure that the game is fun and balanced instead of adding in all these extra custom features. 

that may indeed be the main focus on the project, but from my understanding the people who would be working on custom game options are a distinct team from the gameplay design team.  It's not like the lead level designer is pulled off his project to code in gravity options.

Of course I've never worked on a game, maybe there's a bit more overlap between roles than I perceive.

that may indeed be the main focus on the project, but from my understanding the people who would be working on custom game options are a distinct team from the gameplay design team.  It's not like the lead level designer is pulled off his project to code in gravity options.

Of course I've never worked on a game, maybe there's a bit more overlap between roles than I perceive.

I don't know much about that either, in the history of all Halo games, we've never really had a GOOD set of custom options, where you can change anything you could think of, essentially what Unity does, so I doubt we'll see it this time round again. It's a shame but I'd much rather have a competitive Halo game that I can play out of the box instead of playing modded/drastically modified settings in Custom games.

I don't know much about that either, in the history of all Halo games, we've never really had a GOOD set of custom options, where you can change anything you could think of, essentially what Unity does, so I doubt we'll see it this time round again. It's a shame but I'd much rather have a competitive Halo game that I can play out of the box instead of playing modded/drastically modified settings in Custom games.

True. And I just considered the implications of your playerbase being able to basically create their own new halo game exactly the way they want it down to the finest details.  If they plan to make money by releasing new titles, that could be tricky.  If Halo were to become more of a service instead of individual games, there would be less danger from that. 

I kind of agree with this. Seeing that Halo's competitive scene is small ATM. It's hard as fuck to find ANYONE to play 4v4 with. 2v2's would be ideal because it's REALLY easy to find one other person to play with you. I agree and think that in the beginning the competitive scene should focus on 2v2 until our population get's back up.

The only problem with 2v2s comes down to the game design itself. It's practically undeniable that Halo: CE 2v2s are the most competitive 2v2s out of any Halo game (let alone 4v4s). Partly due to the way the game was designed, partly due to how it panned out with the community.

We can't have another game like Halo 4 that tries to have all of these large 8 player or more maps, it will never work for 2v2s, and sometimes not even 4v4s, just look at H4's severely limited map set.

Halo 5 needs to focus on getting smaller, faster, more competitive and tightly played matches. Not small maps to the point where a frag grenade becomes a major power weapon, but it needs to come down to be a lot more complicated within the maps itself.

Of course we all could rant about how we want no sprint, descope, no spread, no bloom, and so forth, but that's beside the point.

The main thing here is map design and overall game design philosophy for Halo 5. If Halo 5 is designed with compact, quick killtimes in mind (.60 seconds to 1.20 seconds), along with smaller maps (think Prisoner, Derelict, Wizard, etc) in mind, then not only the 2v2 community will thrive but also the 4v4 community as a whole. 

As a whole however, I would love to see 2v2s be much more relevant, as well as FFAs.

Fixed. :bravo:

Default sprint ruins comp Halo on so many levels, but with two consecutive games with sprint plus basically every other console FPS using it(even Bungie caved in now and is making a sprint+ADS FPS) I realistically cannot see 343 taking out sprint. They added a fuckin unlimited sprint perk to H4(another CoD copy), and they won't do the sensible thing and just increase the movement speed to H2 levels or higher and restore balance to battles and bring back the signature Arena feel of the trilogy maps.

On Way-point the poll to keep sprint or not with thousands of votes the majority(66 percent was it?) voted for no sprint but the hardcore's wants will always take backseat to the need to appeal to multiple audiences and sell the game. If 343/MS think default sprint will sell more copies, they will include it. Its sad, but that is what Halo MP has become.