Gobias

2v2 > 4v4 for Halo Xbox One Tournaments

So let's imagine that Halo 5 is competitively viable from the start and has a decent population. Say it has spectator mode so more organizations want to pick it up; basically, our dreams come true.

In this ideal scenario, I think Halo tournaments and Halo itself would change radically. The Xbox One is currently $500. Hosting a single 4v4 match would cost $4000 for the consoles alone. It would be much more cost-effective for Halo 5 to be played 2v2 at tournaments. If Halo 5 has functional split-screen multiplayer, (remember ideal scenario, and that's accounting for 60 FPS) a series could conceivably run on only two consoles. Even on four consoles, the cost would be cut in half.

I bring up this topic because its something that hasn't been considered (and partly because there's not much else to talk about). I think the competing scene could benefit very much from this change. Here are some perks.

• Smaller teams means more teams, which means more competition due to greater accessibility.

• The prize money would be split between two players, not four, so the incentive for winning would be potentially greater.

• A Throwdown-style Doubles playlist could sustain itself on fewer numbers.

• Individual players ("lone wolves") would find more success both in tournaments and in matchmaking. Remember all of the players who came out of the woodwork for the Global FFA Championship? Similar result.

I can forsee a single pitfall: if 343i center their "small" maps around 4v4, since that is currently the most highly recognized format, the gameplay of Doubles could suffer as a result.

What are your thoughts on this? Are there any other benefits? Any pitfalls? Share your thoughts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

MLG have the funds to pay for X1's. They're doing it next season for CoD I thought. 

MLG have the funds to pay for X1's. They're doing it next season for CoD I thought.

What if MLG doesn't pick up Halo 5? 2v2 would be much more viable for start-up leagues that cannot afford as many consoles.

What if MLG doesn't pick up Halo 5? 2v2 would be much more viable for start-up leagues that cannot afford as many consoles.

Your opening line was, "So let's imagine that Halo 5 is competitively viable from the start and has a decent population. Say it has spectator mode and 343i adjusts their contract with Virgin Gaming, so MLG puts the game on their circuit. So basically, our dreams come true."

I was going off that. Obviously, if smaller companies hold H5 tourneys, 2v2s will be much more common, unless they're willing to be at a loss for a while. If there's a huge demand for 4v4 H5 at the start (if they game is good) then I don't see companies having much trouble paying for the Xboxes.

Yeah, I did say that. But do you see any potential problems with 2v2 becoming the focus? I find doubles to be much more exciting to watch than 4v4, and from my point of view, the benefits are very attractive. I suppose it does depend on the game, though. Halo CE played the best with 2v2, but Halo 2 was more for 4v4. I don't recall there being a doubles tournament for H4, though. Not a major one, at least.

If the difference between MLG being able to afford to supply enough consoles or 4v4 and not being able to is a few hundred dollars per system, then it sounds like they're in pretty bad shape.

If the difference between MLG being able to afford to supply enough consoles or 4v4 and not being able to is a few hundred dollars per system, then it sounds like they're in pretty bad shape.

a few hundred as in half a thousand dollars? lol

I think this is where sponsorships would come into play though, and if Halo were completely viable from the start I'd rather see 4v4 tournaments by far 8)

Personally I predict they will go downhill unless Titanfall turns out to be a huge competitive title, and I don't think it will. And Destiny... I don't even want to think about that game. Awful design choices.

Yeah, I did say that. But do you see any potential problems with 2v2 becoming the focus? I find doubles to be much more exciting to watch than 4v4, and from my point of view, the benefits are very attractive. I suppose it does depend on the game, though. Halo CE played the best with 2v2, but Halo 2 was more for 4v4. I don't recall there being a doubles tournament for H4, though. Not a major one, at least.

It obviously depends on what the mechanics of the game are like, I'm sure it will be more suited to 4v4 than 2v2 though. I'm betting now with X1 capabilities and the Cloud, 343 will focus on BTB and maybe 16v16 combat. I'm worried that even the 4v4 focus will suffer as a consequence. 

I don't mind 2v2, I still prefer 4v4 because that's kind of the "norm" for Halo nowadays. I think a 2v2 + 4v4 could work at events, with seeding being done online now that we'll have dedis. Just a thought.

Personally I predict they will go downhill unless Titanfall turns out to be a huge competitive title, and I don't think it will. And Destiny... I don't even want to think about that game. Awful design choices.

Titanfall won't. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the game won't even have LAN support. The game is not meant to be competitive I don't think, I believe the dev just wants the game to be a fun, immersive, new type of shooter. 

Destiny won't be competitive either. Honestly, Halo could have a shot at being back on MLG if it ships really well, even if it has to go against Blops3. MLG only have 2 titles on the circuit atm I think and who knows what will happen to Dota 2 in the next year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Titanfall won't. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the game won't even have LAN support. The game is not meant to be competitive I don't think, I believe the dev just wants the game to be a fun, immersive, new type of shooter.

Destiny won't be competitive either. Honestly, Halo could have a shot at being back on MLG if it ships really well, even if it has to go against Blops3. MLG only have 2 titles on the circuit atm I think and who knows what will happen to Dota 2 in the next year.

I didn't know Titanfall couldn't be LANd. And then there's the problem with campaign being fused with multiplayer. I'm sure it will be wicked fun, though, minus the lock-on pistol.

Destiny would be a mess to sort out for tournaments. Destiny is a mess, I'll leave it at that.

if 2v2 picked up again it would be easier to form tournies. it doesn't even mean more teams because 4/2 = 2x the team. but it is a great deal easier to find just 1 person who you can stick to like glue than trying to have 3 people.

also we don't need a team throwdown doubles. this should be a halo ce/2/3 scenario where we use the maps that come on the disc. the thing we have to change is that doubles should be played with radar off.

i can see radar being on in an ffa, 4v4, 8v8. but radar absolutely makes doubles terrible.

MLG and UMG will have xbox ones for blops3 so If H5 is great goldenboy and sundance would choose 4v4 because that is what fps are now known as.

Smaller gaming league like AGL  :kappa: will hold 2v2 tournaments probably using online seating or qualification.

MLG and UMG will have xbox ones for blops3 so If H5 is great goldenboy and sundance would choose 4v4 because that is what fps are now known as.

Smaller gaming league like AGL :kappa: will hold 2v2 tournaments probably using online seating or qualification.

They're not seriously calling it Black Ops 3, are they? Hopefully it follows in MW3's footsteps. I bet that in four years there will be a Ghosts 3. Mark my words...

I didn't know Titanfall couldn't be LANd. And then there's the problem with campaign being fused with multiplayer. I'm sure it will be wicked fun, though, minus the lock-on pistol.

Destiny would be a mess to sort out for tournaments. Destiny is a mess, I'll leave it at that.

https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/410619033818374145

I don't think they're aiming to make it an eSports friendly hyper competitive game to rival CoD. That's what a lot of people thought when it was first announced but I just don't feel they'll have all the custom options and stuff to allow it to be on the MLG circuit.

a few hundred as in half a thousand dollars? lol

I think this is where sponsorships would come into play though, and if Halo were completely viable from the start I'd rather see 4v4 tournaments by far 8)

Dude, if any organization goes over budget just from half a thousand dollars more than they were expecting, then they've got a really really tight budget.

EDIT: Titanfall and Destiny both look like a lot of good fun and an interesting change from the shooter status quo, but it's true that they don't seem to be geared towards the competitive scene, from what we can see.

I wonder if Respawn and Bungie made an intentional choice to get away from that stuff.  Developing an esports game must get tiring after a while, and Bungie as a developer has always liked to go do different things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

EDIT: Titanfall and Destiny both look like a lot of good fun and an interesting change from the shooter status quo, but it's true that they don't seem to be geared towards the competitive scene, from what we can see.

I wonder if Respawn and Bungie made an intentional choice to get away from that stuff. Developing an esports game must get tiring after a while, and Bungie as a developer has always liked to go do different things.

I'm sure that Bungie is intentionally sabotaging Destiny's "competitive" multiplayer in order to make the cooperative modes more appealing. #bungieconspiracy

I really like watching 2v2s. 

It always feels like there's much more consistency in how the team plays, better listen-ins, easier to spectate, and as a fan I feel like I can get more attached with a team as lineups won't change every single event.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4v4s are more fun to watch IMO. More players = more action.

I like playing 2v2s just as much, if not more, but 4v4s are gonna be the go to for the majority.

I don't see why we can't have 2v2 tournaments though. Why not? If there's maps for 2v2s and the core mechanics are what it needs to be then I say let's do FFAs, 2v2s and 4v4s.

Dude, if any organization goes over budget just from half a thousand dollars more than they were expecting, then they've got a really really tight budget.

I wonder if Respawn and Bungie made an intentional choice to get away from that stuff.  Developing an esports game must get tiring after a while, and Bungie as a developer has always liked to go do different things.

Bungie have never been into eSports really. MLG did it all for them, Bungie never really promoted it, they could have capitalised on it so much more. I'm not sure if they know the benefits of making an eSports friendly game. I mean look at LoL, I know nothing about the game or the scene, but they have crazy numbers for streams, players making tons of money with contracts and sponorships, dev run tourneys etc. 

If your game is on MLG or being streamed to thousands of viewers, your game gets huge amounts of publicity. Obviously, Bungie wanted a different change of pace, and this is proven now that we know Destiny is more of a MMO/FPS instead of a strict FPS, and you don't exactly get eSports competitive MMO games.

I don't really get how it could get "tiring", it's really a win-win situation for everyone. Players will play their game, devs will make more money off game sales, sequels will be more well known and will sell better and the scene as a whole will get bigger. With more money, you can host larger tournaments with larger prize pools, you can incentivise top players to carry on playing your game with contracts or whatever.

eSports is only going to get bigger, it's just a shame that Halo was ahead of its time, imagine if we had a game like CE or H2 now with spec mode, 60 FPS and great netcode with a developer who fully supported and understood the significance of eSports. It would be huge, but we missed that boat unfortunately. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Off topic, but.. So Titanfall doesn't have LAN support? There's a reason why I've given up on FPS' competitively and a reason why I'm not really that excited for the game.

My bad I didn't know you were only talking about 1 console lol

• Upvote (+1) 1