Keystone

TopMid1_zps915e0c32.jpg

After reading the Preplanning, Forge Fundamental article I re-introduced myself to the world of Quake and got inspired from some sweet asym map pics.  I wanted to create something similar but had a more arena feel to it.  Keystone was the result. 

Weapons/Power-Ups/Armor Abilities

4x Frag Grenades

4x Plasma Grenades

4x Pulse Grenades

3x Battle Rifles

2x Needler

2x Shotguns (zero clips)

1x DMR

1x Carbine

1x Light Rifle

1x Assault Rifle

1x Supressor

1x Storm Rifle

1x Sniper

1x Overshield

1x Jet-Pack

1x Regen Field

Visual Stimulus

Blue1_zps8a18e671.jpg

Blue3_zpsf29132d6.jpg

Gold1_zpsa33fc40c.jpg

Gold5_zps8f6bf05f.jpg

Red4_zps47f268bf.jpg

Red3_zpsbfc6b433.jpg

BottomMid2_zpsc809b5c8.jpg

TopMid2_zps2ea2400b.jpg

Keystone

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm always amazed by the amount of depth you pack into your maps.  There are so many nooks and crannies, elevations, ledges, platforms, routes.  To be honest, the detail can be a bit intimidating, because maps with a lot of depth/detail (especially forge maps) are generally more difficult for people to grasp initially.  I hope people will take the time to really get familiar with Keystone, and appreciate it for its totality.

The pathways and connections are generally smooth and natural.  On the upper level, you have good power positions both on the exterior and in the center of the map.  The lower areas of the upper level often offer good lines of sight into the lower level, giving them a distinct advantage over the lower level while leaving them vulnerable to the power positions on the upper level.  It's clear that this was a well thought out design.

Nice job Fro :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

There are some pretty interesting paths and aesthetic stuff here. I like how you angle your walls and surrounding platforms with your ramps. I'm having trouble making sense of the layout though. It's tightly forged, but when I was walking around it, it felt cluttered and random. The paths were disorienting and I'm not sure how I would make a callout or assist my teammate across the map. For 4v4, I feel like I wont know where I'm getting shot from, and be able to run away easily if I was.  

That's just me though. I'd have to play it to offer you more conclusive feedback. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm always amazed by the amount of depth you pack into your maps.  There are so many nooks and crannies, elevations, ledges, platforms, routes.  To be honest, the detail can be a bit intimidating, because maps with a lot of depth/detail (especially forge maps) are generally more difficult for people to grasp initially.  I hope people will take the time to really get familiar with Keystone, and appreciate it for its totality.

The pathways and connections are generally smooth and natural.  On the upper level, you have good power positions both on the exterior and in the center of the map.  The lower areas of the upper level often offer good lines of sight into the lower level, giving them a distinct advantage over the lower level while leaving them vulnerable to the power positions on the upper level.  It's clear that this was a well thought out design.

Nice job Fro :)

I appreciate the feedback Chunk, although I think I went a bit too far on the level of depth on the map (options are good, but too many can be a bit overpowering).  Falling back into bad forging habits of focusing more on the herbs and spices and forgetting the meat and potatoes. 

But all the time I spent on Keystone makes me feel more at home in forge again.  I'm back in love with Quake style maps and asyms, and I'm happy to report my next map will not be on Forge Island. 

Can't wait til Halo 5 comes out so I can start forging Cerberus v9000.  :D

There are some pretty interesting paths and aesthetic stuff here. I like how you angle your walls and surrounding platforms with your ramps. I'm having trouble making sense of the layout though. It's tightly forged, but when I was walking around it, it felt cluttered and random. The paths were disorienting and I'm not sure how I would make a callout or assist my teammate across the map. For 4v4, I feel like I wont know where I'm getting shot from, and be able to run away easily if I was.  

That's just me though. I'd have to play it to offer you more conclusive feedback. 

The design was initially meant for a 2v2 layout, but I started playing with making the ramps more spacious by adding the short wall (the same height as the landing) extending the length of the ramp and things got out of hand.  Due to those extra piece usage I couldn't make it as solid on the upper levels as I wanted to (roofs, solid door-frames, and over-hangings) and the map ended up a bit more open and arena like than my original 2v2 design/concept (room-based)... that and the fact that it went from a 2v2 to a 4v4.  :P

Experimenting with verticality has been fun, although I still haven't found a great method to spacing out ramps to scale those ramps, I feel like I'm getting closer.

I'm learning not to be so attached to my maps and take more of a tyrant-like mindset and just forge more.  Learning as much from my failures as my successes.  :)

Thanks for checking it our Goat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks very nice. I've definitely been wanting to give Quake a shot too just to see the similarities between it and Halo.

I've sent it to my Xbox and I'll check it out when I get the chance.

• Upvote (+1) 1