merrynitemare

Balance from the perspective of a casual player

Matt, the "AmeriCanadianGamer" on youtube made a rant video on Balance in Modern First Person Shooters PvP. I don't post on these forums often, but I do read them and balance is something that comes up a lot. Too much, even. However I feel this particular rant video is interesting because it comes from the perspective of a casual gamer, not the perspective of someone who got his 50 in Halo 3 MLG 3 times over and watches tournament streams and such.

That said, my posting this is still beating a dead, decomposed buried horse, BUT I am at least beating it from a different angle. 

Here's the video:

He is completely right. FPS are becoming stagnant, seriously the whole unlock, ranking up, random outcome of battles etc. needs to stop.

He is completely right. FPS are becoming stagnant, seriously the whole unlock, ranking up, random outcome of battles etc. needs to stop.

I think that FPS really has been stagnant for the last 2-3 years, with the slight exception of Reach, FPS have become very stagnant, primarily due to the consoles being so far behind PCs, preventing any actual innovation. I'm glad that Destiny and Titanfall are trying to do new things, Destiny more so. 

It'll just be a few more months until we actually get a taste of the new style of FPS and how it will affect the industry, and I can't wait.

Its really bad that Halo MP is now being mentioned in the same breath as Modern CoD in the "unbalanced/random gameplay" department. H1-H3 were some of the most balanced and fair shooters to ever be made. Getting kills was satisfying, and NEVER in any point in a H1+H2 match did I think I was unjustly killed or that the game was unfair. Then again H4 straight ripped things from MW so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm actually quite envious of how well CoD does everything outside of gameplay.  I have serious completion OCD, so challenges, unlocks, ranking up and whatnot are great for me, and I'm glad they were implemented.  I wish Halo would do a better job of ripping off CoD in that department, instead of hitting max rank after a month.  It's just CoD's gameplay elements are so bad that I can't force myself to play it.

Here I am... chiming in with my typical comments.

If you're sick of playing these horrible games with horrible mechanics, than stop supporting them. I know generally speaking, people would rather make youtube videos/channels and rant for viewership, than pick up a solid new game and learn from scratch. I never understood why people are so afraid to leave what they know. People who started with Halo 3 complain how the tournament scene went down, and the games have became progressively worse, but will never touch Halo CE in their life.

The most common answer I get is "I don't have time to learn a new game, I'm focused on Halo 4 and CoD"... Well that's great. We'll keep getting shitty games because people still would rather invest times in games that have random mechanics as opposed to playing solid title with a learning curve.

That is why I have been playing RPG's instead of bothering with the awful class based FPS that are out at the moment, its just a market of copy and paste shooters right now. If Titanfall is successful at bringing something new and innovative to the FPS genre then I will pick up a Xbox One for it, otherwise I will simply wait till Destiny releases to bother with FPS.

Here I am... chiming in with my typical comments.

If you're sick of playing these horrible games with horrible mechanics, than stop supporting them. I know generally speaking, people would rather make youtube videos/channels and rant for viewership, than pick up a solid new game and learn from scratch. I never understood why people are so afraid to leave what they know. People who started with Halo 3 complain how the tournament scene went down, and the games have became progressively worse, but will never touch Halo CE in their life.

The most common answer I get is "I don't have time to learn a new game, I'm focused on Halo 4 and CoD"... Well that's great. We'll keep getting shitty games because people still would rather invest times in games that have random mechanics as opposed to playing solid title with a learning curve.

I think many people have been playing other comp games I know I have. Its just getting the modern Halo community to go back to 2001 or even 2004 when there is no XBL is just not going to happen. Most people in the CoD community who are knowledgeable of shooters know Ghosts is not a good comp title, not even for the cod series for that matter, but its popular and its what their friends are playing and they got tournaments so people will overlook alot of shit. The social aspect is what drives main-stream shooters not comp merit and the majority will play what their friends at school and others are playing if its decent. I would play the shit out of a good H2 remake though  :)