Sign in to follow this  
Clipen

I miss Halo 4 tournaments. Do you?

I do miss the AGL streams TBH.

Nothing like playing some video games while watching Halo 4 on the side on a Saturday morning.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well you shoot people. So take that as you will

Crap I've said too much

Start the hype at a low heat and leave to simmer.

Sounds just like the mentality of another developer I know ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Start the hype at a low heat and leave to simmer.

Sounds just like the mentality of another developer I know ;)

Lol those similarities. I'm not making the game though lol, I just found a few people to help

Streams don't really work that well for me, but one of the ones I did watch (AGL 8, I think) was pretty fun. And when Roy came back, that was exciting. "Roy is our boy", I remember that. I also remember that the chat was just awful. Full of unsavory images and insults directed at players.

I want to see at least one more tournament that is as good as the last event of Reach. Now that was a tournament.

I miss Halo tournaments more so. I miss the atmosphere that they brought, the way it brought people together, it wasn't really like anything else.

I can't say I was ever a part of it, most pros are 3-5 years older than me, and that was enough of an age gap to keep me from playing Halo early on.

At the end of the day, what made Halo tournaments so special is that its competitive scene was born in LAN settings. Not online, nothing like that. It was people hooking up their Xbox at a friends house and LANing H:CE and Halo 2, even though XBL become a large factor in H2. Nonetheless, it still grew and still had that special feel to it, something that no game will ever really be able to capture. 

My 2 cents. All I can say is I wish I could have taken part in it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Built for competitive play?

This isn't Halo. This is a real sport: Golf. :walshy:

What game you talking bout? Should I know it?

You should, but you're not supposed to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't really play halo that competitive,but I just loved watching the halo 4 tournaments and they were the only thing keeping me slightly interested in the game   

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you guys miss Halo, you guys shoulda seen the i50 tournament Enable and FS just won in Europe. Their NS/NB Halo 4 settings are AWESOME and the finals were EPIC. Definitely recommend it!

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you guys miss Halo, you guys shoulda seen the i50 tournament Enable and FS just won in Europe. Their NS/NB Halo 4 settings are AWESOME and the finals were EPIC. Definitely recommend it!

Still has No Descope/Flinch and bad maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 is still Halo 4

Be that as it may, I'll play Halo 4 online over Halo 3 now; that game is full of cheaters/hackers, bloodshots and awful shot registration. You can complain about it all you want, but there were still some pretty awesome games at the tournament. The settings are pretty solid with no bloom for the DMR and reduced BR spread. Also, their oddball mod works just like the old days. Gotta hold on to something until H5 comes out. I'm over Halo 3, tbh. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Would I like to see another Halo event? Yes. Like everyone else, we don't want people like Brad from AGL running the show.

I am not even sure where the future of tournament Halo lies, there is no league currently running it in the US and now it seems like everyone is living in some fantasy land that H5 will be catered to e-sports and make its triumphant return to the MLG circuit. Its really going to have to be a community effort moving forward if comp Halo is to thrive, I dont think 343 or MLG is going to be the "savior" sadly. Even if H5 gets picked up by MLG for the first couple tournaments and still has no spec mode, the stream numbers are going to be average and its going to be Reach all over again. Community-run tournaments or some kind of dev-backed Halo league is the best bet for Halo in my opinion, and that is assuming H5 is good.

I would definitely like to see more Halo 4 tournaments.  Having Ambush as the team to beat for so long and then having Requiem battle it out for the win was exciting.  Halo 4 GC was awesome and the stream numbers for the last AGL's were pretty good considering how badly the tournament was run.  Now I doubt you could get the players that really made those tournaments exciting to even play.  The biggest problem Halo has right now (whether you're talking 3, Reach, or 4) is numbers, and I doubt the economics would work out w/ the way these tournaments are structured.  Which is unfortunate....  

I am not even sure where the future of tournament Halo lies, there is no league currently running it in the US and now it seems like everyone is living in some fantasy land that H5 will be catered to e-sports and make its triumphant return to the MLG circuit. Its really going to have to be a community effort moving forward if comp Halo is to thrive, I dont think 343 or MLG is going to be the "savior" sadly. Even if H5 gets picked up by MLG for the first couple tournaments and still has no spec mode, the stream numbers are going to be average and its going to be Reach all over again. Community-run tournaments or some kind of dev-backed Halo league is the best bet for Halo in my opinion, and that is assuming H5 is good.

H5 is most likely going to have spec mode. 

No I don't miss H4 tournaments. The game was terrible to play and was also pretty bad to watch too. I really didn't care who won and I didn't even and still don't really count those H4 tournaments to be a part of the rest of the Halo games. There was less competition on a shittier game(Halo 4) why would I?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It seems like it is 50/50. 50% of people just enjoyed watching Halo (with 20% ish whom actually liked watching Halo 4) and 50% who never really watched or didn't care for it because of how uncompetitive the game was at its' core. Fair enough. I actually enjoyed the game alot and playing online was wayyy better than Halo 3. I lanned Halo 4 once at NJHalo and it was a blast. Granted only about 30 people showed up but the games were still intense and fun to watch.

I miss long nights of Halo madness...

No I don't miss H4 tournaments. The game was terrible to play and was also pretty bad to watch too. I really didn't care who won and I didn't even and still don't really count those H4 tournaments to be a part of the rest of the Halo games. There was less competition on a shittier game(Halo 4) why would I?

I feel the same way, but I still miss the watching the events to an extent. I haven't been on Twitch in over 3-4 months now because there's nothing I enjoy watching (CoD is boring to me, I caught a bit of Cbus but it's nowhere near as exciting as Halo imo) and Gandhi stopped doing his shows on stream.

I feel the same way, but I still miss the watching the events to an extent. I haven't been on Twitch in over 3-4 months now because there's nothing I enjoy watching (CoD is boring to me, I caught a bit of Cbus but it's nowhere near as exciting as Halo imo) and Gandhi stopped doing his shows on stream.

Do what the rest of us are doing, find a different game. For a while now I've been following the FGC scene. Started watching Tekken 6 when MLG picked it up and that was during H3 days.

Do what the rest of us are doing, find a different game. For a while now I've been following the FGC scene. Started watching Tekken 6 when MLG picked it up and that was during H3 days.

Always been an FPS kinda guy. :/

I liked the tournaments...but the maps were so fucking bland. The only forge maps, other than Hahka's, were made by SaloT which all were the same bland, boring, overdone symmetrical midship 3.0s. Don't even get me started on Donut 9.  

Station 9 extraction was by far the most competitive gametype in h4. Required a huge amount of individual shot and awareness and more teamwork than any other gametype that ever rotated through halo 4. The map worked, it had predictability and reliability.... both factors that were severely lacking in all other areas of halo 4. The only detractor from watching station 9 was that extraction was a boring gametype to watch.

Anyways,

Halo 4 events were enjoyable, i don't know how anyone failed to recall the hype about ambush placing 4th for the first time, the ROY domination train on onyx against warriors, Snipedowns over with flag on simplex, Yoshi battling for first in FFA finals, watching gabriel and severance absolutely TEAR IT UP against ambush taking them to five games at agl 5(?), the severance vs. reality check 49-50 skyline ts finish at bottom mid, nailbiter abandon slayers (at the later events when strat style changed). Game was fun to watch because it was fun to watch the best players make due with what they had. It was fun to support the community and be a part of it rather than take an overtly negative stand because competitive halo didn't actually turn out to be this magical wonderland where i got everything i wanted out of it. There were dominant BR's, Dominant Snipers, big names, big plays, everything all the former halos had just sometimes to a lesser extent. Yes sniping is easy in h4, but that didn't mean Formal wasn't an absolute terror with it and mindnumbingly fun to watch with it.... All the "yeah i don't miss that crap" comments are ridiculous, there was plenty to enjoy in the AGL events and if you failed to engage with the rest of the competitive community because halo 4 wasn't as good in your eyes then that's just sad, i had a blast watching the events. Nothing beats the events of 06 and 07 for me, but AGL was definitely not the trainwreck (gameplay wise) that everyone made it out to be.

• Upvote (+1) 4