Destroyaaa

Super Smash Bros Thread

Superboomfan beat Jouske in a 12 character battle by 1 stock on Japanese version a couple weeks ago. Boom was on his last stock with Ness and took 7 straight stocks to win.

Insane level of play throughout. I noted down some highlights:

- 12:00 Jouske gimp with DK, gets another one soon after too

- 15:20 Boom reversal gimp

- 20:42 Boom clanks a small charge shot with u-tilt then at 21:12 ducks under a full charge shot

- 27:10 sick recovery by Boom

- 32:40 Boom bair to shine, he gets a number of these

- 45:00 Boom recovery + gimp

- 56:30 Jouske edgeguard

- 1:02:45 Boom saves himself with onstage ledge DI and goes on to win

They played another 12cb on international version too, haven't watched it yet.

This was played when he, Mariguas and a couple others went to Japan for the Kanto 2015 tournament. Japan has the wonkiest tournament set up ever, they play character-locked best of 1 sets on DL and players draw straws to determine top 8 matchups, or at least they did for this one. All top 8 drew straws which had a letter from A-H, and whoever picked A gets to choose who he plays, then B chooses, and etc. Boom drew G and Moyashi drew H, and nobody wanted to play either of them, so they got matched up in first round of top 8 and Boom lost on last stock last hit. Jouske didn't enter. Top 8 was:

1. wario (Pika)

2. Fukuro (Kirby)

4. Moyashi (Kirby)

4. Mariguas (Pika)

8. SuperBoomFan (Falcon)

8. MEGU (Pika)

8. Bonobono (Yoshi)

8. maha (Pika)

Mariguas did insanely well to get top 4. There's video of top 8 here, you need to make an account to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why didn't Jouske compete at Kanto? in his ask FM he said he wouldn't let down international players. Also, Japan needs to severely re evaluate their Bo1 tournament. They practice for thousands of hours over the years and think a 3 minute game is a good representation of it? Lol. But I'm happy Boom and Mariguas did well. Ik historically Boom's Falcon has done better than his Pika vs Moyashi and that his Falcon is his better character but I was kind of surprised he didn't go Pika for the torny for consistency sake. Shitty VOD on YouTube: http://smashboards.com/threads/kanto-tournament-top-8-2015.418613/#post-20192739

That is one insane comeback--didn't know they played 2 more 12CBs, thnx for posting. Of course the audio desynchs at the best part though, lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

***** dont spoil it

my b. Sub to Karajan if you wanna see international matches as soon as they're uploaded.

Why didn't Jouske compete at Kanto? in his ask FM he said he wouldn't let down international players. Also, Japan needs to severely re evaluate their Bo1 tournament. They practice for thousands of hours over the years and think a 3 minute game is a good representation of it? Lol. But I'm happy Boom and Mariguas did well. Ik historically Boom's Falcon has done better than his Pika vs Moyashi and that his Falcon is his better character but I was kind of surprised he didn't go Pika for the torny for consistency sake. Shitty VOD on YouTube: http://smashboards.com/threads/kanto-tournament-top-8-2015.418613/#post-20192739

I don't know why he didn't. And cool I didn't know the vids were up on Youtube.

my b. Sub to Karajan if you wanna see international matches as soon as they're uploaded.

I don't know why he didn't. And cool I didn't know the vids were up on Youtube.

just use (spoiler)(/spoiler) in []

mate that's not a reason that makes it hard to be a fan. shit attitude/ersonality, lack of interest in the game, not going to tournaments. like lets look at m2k, we wouldn't be so excited for him if he just beat every1 like armada does. His inconsistency is one of the reasons we love him.

Ppmd has a shit personality/attitude? Last time I watched was apex but I enjoyed watching him and he seems alright at least on Twitter (tho to be fair I don't really look at his page much)

Ppmd has a shit personality/attitude? Last time I watched was apex but I enjoyed watching him and he seems alright at least on Twitter (tho to be fair I don't really look at his page much)

you need to work on ur comprehension skills

@@2pro4show why would the Japs think the best tournament format to determine who are the best players? Weird

Not sure. But it's been said a few times by players who have went over there that part of the reason they do best of 1 sets is because it makes the tournament run a lot quicker, which gives them time to have big drinking parties after, which are apparently really fun and as much of a draw for local players to the tournies as the competition itself. Not even kidding lol

Not sure. But it's been said a few times by players who have went over there that part of the reason they do best of 1 sets is because it makes the tournament run a lot quicker, which gives them time to have big drinking parties after, which are apparently really fun and as much of a draw for local players to the tournies as the competition itself. Not even kidding lol

I suppose it's hard to judge a culture without growing up a part of it. That does sound like a lot of fun though haha

64 is gonna be at Genesis 3. Isai & Mariguas confirmed so far. Also 8 minute stock matches, I'm guessing they will be using gamesharks or flashed cartridges.

• Upvote (+1) 1

64 is gonna be at Genesis 3. Isai & Mariguas confirmed so far. Also 8 minute stock matches, I'm getting they will be using gamesharks or flashed cartridges.

oh shit. where is the fund for flying in boomfan / some japanese player.

also if they are using gameshark, will battlefield be legal? 

64 is gonna be at Genesis 3. Isai & Mariguas confirmed so far. Also 8 minute stock matches, I'm getting they will be using gamesharks or flashed cartridges.

Why modified carts/gameshark? Can't they just use an external timer...like a phone.

Extremely unlikely I'd say. Even if it were accessible, a lot on smashboards still don't support the stage it seems.

oh shit. where is the fund for flying in boomfan / some japanese player.

I'm sure Boom will make it to something this big regardless of crowdfunding. But I would definitely put up like $50 towards flying in say Marka from Peru or a top Japanese player... I would love to see Prince. Best Yoshi main in the world.

They're not gonna use Battlefield (or FD), there's no consensus on whether they should be legal and nobody plays on them regularly at all, way too early for that to happen.

Why modified carts/gameshark? Can't they just use an external timer...like a phone.

I'm assuming they have some solution to get the timer up in-game. External timer doesn't really work... if the match is about to time out the players need to know exactly how much time is left because that will change their behavior. You would need someone announcing it to them or something, which is distracting, or then a player might not be able to wear earbuds like they usually would during a match. Or you could have situations where a player gets a hit in right as time expires that would've won them the game, but there's no way to know for sure if he got it in time or not. I would be really disappointed if they were just timing the games manually.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm assuming they have some solution to get the timer up in-game. External timer doesn't really work... if the match is about to time out the players need to know exactly how much time is left because that will change their behavior. You would need someone announcing it to them or something, which is distracting, or then a player might not be able to wear earbuds like they usually would during a match. Or you could have situations where a player gets a hit in right as time expires that would've won them the game, but there's no way to know for sure if he got it in time or not. I would be really disappointed if they were just timing the games manually.

I agree it'd be more ideal in-game, as does everyone, but I asked Sohto (not sure on his involvement if he's TOing or what) and he said it's very likely that it will be externally timed, similarly to chess, details to come in a few days. At Smash Con the matches were technically timed in the rules, externally, but not enforced a lot. Due to the issues you brought up, I'd probably just not time at all to increase the competitiveness so no last minute controversies arise--assuming in-game timing isn't happening. Unless they're keeping the ruleset of Genesis 2, 8 minute games are extremely rare--I don't think I've seen one DL game in tournament ever, so I don't think it's a big deal. 

FD is fucking weird as shit to access on console. You have to play soloplayer campaign and even then you cant see hwo many stocks one person has. 

Battlefield I believe is way easier to access on console and acts just like a regular stage iirc, and its pretty much dreamland which is why I thought it might be allowed. 

also i don't think a timer is needed at all unless hyrule is expected to be played. 

FD is fucking weird as shit to access on console. You have to play soloplayer campaign and even then you cant see hwo many stocks one person has. 

Battlefield I believe is way easier to access on console and acts just like a regular stage iirc, and its pretty much dreamland which is why I thought it might be allowed. 

also i don't think a timer is needed at all unless hyrule is expected to be played. 

There's a gameshark code that makes FD accessible and playable with 2 players now (with proper stocks). So it would be as much an option as Battlefield if you were using gameshark codes.

Some people think Battlefield shouldn't be legal because it doesn't have the same ledge DI behaviour as DL. It's hard/impossible to get the same life-saving DI you can get on DL's ledges so characters with bad recoveries would do even worse on Battlefield. I don't buy it and would definitely make Battlefield legal, it has slight differences from DL like the platform heights which would slightly change some matchups. But the main reason it's not legal is it's nowhere close to being a community standard stage, people rarely have the means to play it on console and so it barely gets played, even online.

It's rare for matches on DL to go 8 minutes for sure, but it could be possible in some matchups. The first game of Apex 2014 finals between Isai (Jiggs) & Moyashi (Kirby) went 7 minutes.

I'd also be interested in legalizing Battlefield if it was more accessible. I mean there's no reverse ledge DI but Congo was legal forever and there was none there too. Or Peach's Castle. But I think Peach's Castle is a lot worse than Congo for other reasons. 

I don't want Isai to go Luigi though. I think Boom would win pretty handily--the only reason he lost to Isai's Mario in 2013 was because Boom started Falcon instead of Pika, and because of non DL stages. Isai is fucking beast at all other stages. I think Isai would handily win with: Pika, Fox, and Kirby. I'd put him as a favorite with Puff, about even with Yoshi, and underdog with everyone else. 

I just don't think they will be legal at any point because of accessibility. 

And they can be a little wonky at times, from my experiences with them. Ledge DI on Battlefield will send you at some weird angles.