Destroyaaa

Super Smash Bros Thread

Brawl is fun to play until you play someone who plays super defensively and abusing the dumb/annoying stuff when I just want to go in all the time (Pika main). I started playing competitively with that game so it holds a special place in my heart.

Meanwhile, I got like 10 people coming down to Paragon from my region/college. I can't wait. I haven't really played at all this summer but whatevs, it'll be fun.

Brawl is fun to play until you play someone who plays super defensively and abusing the dumb/annoying stuff when I just want to go in all the time (Pika main). I started playing competitively with that game so it holds a special place in my heart.

Meanwhile, I got like 10 people coming down to Paragon from my region/college. I can't wait. I haven't really played at all this summer but whatevs, it'll be fun.

Started with Brawl too. Yeah, you have to play Brawl a lot more patiently than most games. Still something I would consider entering side events for. Game has a lot of characters with untapped potential

I really wish Apex does well because the west coast is stealing all the good events now lol. I know people are really skeptical of it but APEX is really the only super major I could go to that I wouldn't need to fly to. 

I would fly to Genesis and EVO for the experience though. Never been to Vegas and Genesis would just be legendary. Winner of East coast TMG actually gets flown out to Genesis haha that would be amazing

I really wish Apex does well because the west coast is stealing all the good events now lol. I know people are really skeptical of it but APEX is really the only super major I could go to that I wouldn't need to fly to. 

I would fly to Genesis and EVO for the experience though. Never been to Vegas and Genesis would just be legendary. Winner of East coast TMG actually gets flown out to Genesis haha that would be amazing

paragon and ceo were both florida aka east cost werent they?

SSC was Virgina or something right? thats driveable from MA

paragon and ceo were both florida aka east cost werent they?

SSC was Virgina or something right? thats driveable from MA

I suppose but I meant Northeast. Anyways in January I am probably going to get some time off from work I may just fly to Genesis

I ran into my first decent Samus in Smash 64 and what a nightmare am I having using DK in that match up. Just constantly get caught. 

I can go Falcon and Pikachu and do well, but there is no fun in that. 

Any suggestions for DK and Samus match-up for anyone in here? Best thing I've found is up-air strings into up smash or fair. 

I ran into my first decent Samus in Smash 64 and what a nightmare am I having using DK in that match up. Just constantly get caught. 

I can go Falcon and Pikachu and do well, but there is no fun in that. 

Any suggestions for DK and Samus match-up for anyone in here? Best thing I've found is up-air strings into up smash or fair. 

DK used to be my secondary and I would play Cobrevolution online a lot so I've played the matchup a decent amount. Granted it has been a little while, but just off the top of my head...

Samus has trouble dealing with attacks coming from above, I would try focusing on staying above her and see if that helps. It should be fairly easy to maintain high ground since Samus is floaty and DK has good jump heights for landing quickly on the platforms. Top platform would be safer than the side ones because she can use screw attack to escape fairly safely. From top platform you could wait for opportunities to fast fall dair if she's below, or pivot shield drop fast fall bair to cover below side platforms. If you whiff on either of those and your opponent is close throw out an up-b immediately. It'll catch her if she tries dash dancing, beat out a grab every time, or clank with a dash dance fsmash.

In general when you're low you can space by doing plat drop aerials over and over (throwing out an aerial on the way back up as well). I would bair a lot, mostly because I just wasn't very consistent with up-airs.

Up-b is your best bet for edgeguarding, focus on spacing so that DK's fists are making first contact and you're horizontal to Samus, that way you can be sure you won't get caught by a dair from her while she's recovering. Time it with her bombs so that your opponent won't be able to react.

Also check training to see if you can find a percentage range for fthrow --> giant punch. This is viable on floaties, usually pretty unexpected and potentially guaranteed with the right percentage. I love using DK vs. Jiggs for this because it's guaranteed at 5-20% (before the grab) on Jiggs as long as you adjust your movement a little bit depending where you are in the range, so all you need is to land any aerial on Jiggs near a side platform and you can get it unless they mash out of the grab, which is tough. Just grab, jump forward, throw, double jump, punch. I know it's guaranteed on Jiggs, and I've hit it on Kirby and Luigi too (the percentage range is really tight on Kirby, can't quite remember what it is right now). I feel like you could probably find at least a small range where it would work on Samus, though it may be escapable by using the invincibility frames of her up-b (so not abusable like vs. Jiggs but still worth looking into).

DK used to be my secondary and I would play Cobrevolution online a lot so I've played the matchup a decent amount. Granted it has been a little while, but just off the top of my head...

Samus has trouble dealing with attacks coming from above, I would try focusing on staying above her and see if that helps. It should be fairly easy to maintain high ground since Samus is floaty and DK has good jump heights for landing quickly on the platforms. Top platform would be safer than the side ones because she can use screw attack to escape fairly safely. From top platform you could wait for opportunities to fast fall dair if she's below, or pivot shield drop fast fall bair to cover below side platforms. If you whiff on either of those and your opponent is close throw out an up-b immediately. It'll catch her if she tries dash dancing, beat out a grab every time, or clank with a dash dance fsmash.

In general when you're low you can space by doing plat drop aerials over and over (throwing out an aerial on the way back up as well). I would bair a lot, mostly because I just wasn't very consistent with up-airs.

Up-b is your best bet for edgeguarding, focus on spacing so that DK's fists are making first contact and you're horizontal to Samus, that way you can be sure you won't get caught by a dair from her while she's recovering. Time it with her bombs so that your opponent won't be able to react.

Also check training to see if you can find a percentage range for fthrow --> giant punch. This is viable on floaties, usually pretty unexpected and potentially guaranteed with the right percentage. I love using DK vs. Jiggs for this because it's guaranteed at 5-20% (before the grab) on Jiggs as long as you adjust your movement a little bit depending where you are in the range, so all you need is to land any aerial on Jiggs near a side platform and you can get it unless they mash out of the grab, which is tough. Just grab, jump forward, throw, double jump, punch. I know it's guaranteed on Jiggs, and I've hit it on Kirby and Luigi too (the percentage range is really tight on Kirby, can't quite remember what it is right now). I feel like you could probably find at least a small range where it would work on Samus, though it may be escapable by using the invincibility frames of her up-b (so not abusable like vs. Jiggs but still worth looking into).

This is some good advice and I hadn't really thought about being above her as it can be so detrimental with DK in a couple of the matchups I play a lot (Falcon, Kirby, Pikachu). 

I definitely realized I wasn't grounded up-bing nearly enough and it was a change I knew I need to make right away, so that's solid advice as well. 

I think I was trying to grad ledge and bair or ledge hop up-air instead of using up-b to ledge guard too much. I'll have to watch the set again, but I could definitely tell there was improvement needed here. 

I'll look into this tonight. It's really easy to get confirmed kills with down-b punch on Samus so I had been focusing on that when I would bait out a dash attack, but I will look into the forward throw - punch because I do use this on Puff as well. 

I just put myself in too many bad positions, so this is all really solid advice. Thank you!

This is some good advice and I hadn't really thought about being above her as it can be so detrimental with DK in a couple of the matchups I play a lot (Falcon, Kirby, Pikachu). 

I definitely realized I wasn't grounded up-bing nearly enough and it was a change I knew I need to make right away, so that's solid advice as well. 

I think I was trying to grad ledge and bair or ledge hop up-air instead of using up-b to ledge guard too much. I'll have to watch the set again, but I could definitely tell there was improvement needed here. 

I'll look into this tonight. It's really easy to get confirmed kills with down-b punch on Samus so I had been focusing on that when I would bait out a dash attack, but I will look into the forward throw - punch because I do use this on Puff as well. 

I just put myself in too many bad positions, so this is all really solid advice. Thank you!

Yeah I was never great with down-b so I didn't mention it, I really didn't/don't make much use of it in my play. I've seen it used really well though... I remember a few months back I ran into Johnny online out of nowhere (sick old school player, like Superboomfan-tier good) and he murdered me with DK's down-b. If you can force a tech situation onto a platform and get it out in time it's really good since it covers every option and gives you a free follow up.

Ledge hop u-air is nice for getting back onto the stage though. That and DK's sub-100% ledge attack being the best in the game.

Life as a Marth/Lucina main is a struggle. Approach game against projectile users in nonexistent. 

I have to mentally brace myself whenever I come across a Samus user in FG.

Yep, just more direct confirmation that he sees playing the game and competing as two very different things, and that's he's pretty uncomfortable with all the attention he gets (probably why he stopped streaming, sadly).

That was a really interesting thread to read through. So many differing opinions on the topic, but the man is going to do what he wants. 

He still likes to compete obviously, but he doesn't care for it in the tournament setting. I can understand with all the attention he gets. 

Enjoying competing in a tournament is 100% subjective, but I just can't see how he prefers friendlies. It is very unusual for a top player at any competitive activity to prefer friendly games over the highest level of competitiveness, I think.

The other major point he brings up is a lack of talent in NA. While true, I don't think Isai would win if he didn't go: Pika, Kirby, Fox, or Jiggs. Yoshi is up in the air. Now that is of course taking away his best characters, but I think it would be a great challenge with a DL only ruleset (Isai is definitely way better than everyone at other stages).

Lastly, I really don't get this quote: Yes, and then there are the people who are like "oh man I got 40%; see if you can beat that [insert friend's name here]." It felt good being in Peru because when I lost I did not hear that or maybe my Spanish comprehension was not good enough? lol. When they beat me you get the feeling of "whatever we are all good here we win and lose."

While it's subjective, I would definitely claim taking offence to people being excited at how good you are compared to them is whack. If I beat someone 15-3 in Halo, and they said "I got 3 kills on him John, see if you can beat that!" I'd have no emotional response, unlike Isai.

Anyway just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree--I simply think his reasons are quite odd.

Lastly, I really don't get this quote: Yes, and then there are the people who are like "oh man I got 40%; see if you can beat that [insert friend's name here]." It felt good being in Peru because when I lost I did not hear that or maybe my Spanish comprehension was not good enough? lol. When they beat me you get the feeling of "whatever we are all good here we win and lose."

While it's subjective, I would definitely claim taking offence to people being excited at how good you are compared to them is whack. If I beat someone 15-3 in Halo, and they said "I got 3 kills on him John, see if you can beat that!" I'd have no emotional response, unlike Isai.

Anyway just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree--I simply think his reasons are quite odd.

just makes him feel like he's not a person you're playing, but something like a machine/thing in which to measure yourself. 

Enjoying competing in a tournament is 100% subjective, but I just can't see how he prefers friendlies. It is very unusual for a top player at any competitive activity to prefer friendly games over the highest level of competitiveness, I think.

The other major point he brings up is a lack of talent in NA. While true, I don't think Isai would win if he didn't go: Pika, Kirby, Fox, or Jiggs. Yoshi is up in the air. Now that is of course taking away his best characters, but I think it would be a great challenge with a DL only ruleset (Isai is definitely way better than everyone at other stages).

Well, by all accounts he's a fairly odd guy, so that's not surprising.

As I've posted before, he's not really a competitor by nature. Not to say he dislikes competition outright, but it's obvious winning is not what drives him. If it was he would fly to every 64 event, play Pika, and mop the floor with everyone.

He seems more interested in learning, understanding, exploring the game... picking up new tricks and experiencing new playstyles from other elite players. Just playing interesting matches in general to push his own play forward to be able to enjoy the game in new ways. If that's what you want, I can see why you'd prefer friendlies with a few great players over tournaments. In a tournament you play less sets, and everyone plays safer. And if that's what you want, I can see why he has little desire to go to NA tournaments these days. Outside of Apex if foreigners attend, any NA tournament would give him just two interesting sets when he plays Superboomfan in WFs and GFs, and he's played him a million times already.

On that quote, sounds like more of him being uncomfortable with the spotlight, pressure, etc. He knows that if he goes to a tournament in NA, where he has a cult-like status not just in the 64 community but Smash as a whole, he can't escape the expectations or being judged on his play, even when 5-stocking a guy. So he prefers playing in Peru, or friendlies, where he's just another good player.

• Upvote (+1) 1

dude gets worshipped and doesn't like it. Doesn't seem like he cares that much for the money either. Just sounds like a humble dude to me

Holy fuck m2k. That's why he'll always be my favorite player to watch. When he's on it's fucking incredible.

Glad I stayed up to watch that.

yeah m2k put in work this tourny. seemed like he was on point. However, leffen was dropping a lot of things which just gave m2k free openings.

That was hype. M2k is a great player. Even at 64, a game he rarely plays, he is surprisingly good.

I read that as if you were saying hes 64 years old